Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'll recommend https://www.quadlockcase.eu/
At first I didn't want to get it, as the price is very steep, but so are all the alternatives. This one looks the best when left on the bike without any device. They sell a stick-on mount that you can stick to any cheap phone case and that creates a perfectly fine phone adapter for any smartphone you could own. You can also stick that thing to anything else you might want to temporarily mount to your motorcycle.
The action is very well engineered, can be done flawlessly with one hand and gloves don't change a thing. You can also mount in both panoramic and vertical mode, however depending on how you fixed the mounting plate, getting it off will be harder in one of the two positions.

The reason I looked at this was that my bike as a 12(?)mm accessory bar and most options for that are either expensive as gently caress or intended ONLY for mirror stems. Don't get me wrong, apparently theirs is too, but it works amazingly with my accessory bar. I usually ride without anything mounted on there and it really is the best solution to just leave on your bike and never notice.

A RAM mount would look terrible left on the bike, so would any other "grippy" type. Also there's induction charging apparently. (No wires, no mess for all you people that have that)

My only regret is buying other phone cases to try and forgetting to send them back to amazon in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I want a phone on my dash so I can use GPS on my bike, I don't have an in-helmet entertainment system to tell me about turns and also like the ability to see an approximation of a curve beforehand.
I am using my second phone for the bike dash functionality and am using crash detection on longer tours anyway.

Of course I could buy an expensive GPS with inferior features and worse mounting options, but somehow I don't feel like it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I more and more want a Mesh jacket, because Ryan F9s arguments have convinced me about the general safety as long as there are good protectors and reinforced pockets.
However none of the ones he recommended in recent videos are available here.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I was thinking something like the Icon Mesh AF

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Jazzzzz posted:

SEKobra, what brands of gear are available where you live, and what kind of budget are you working with?

I think I have seen every major brand at some point, but the stores around here only seem to stock like one or two products from every brand. Since I need a somewhat larger size jacket, I don't want to buy without test fitting. Budget-wise I'm willing to pay for quality, but I don't WANT to spend much more than 200€ as it's just a hot weather garment that has little other use.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Jazzzzz posted:

You will have access to brands that we don't get stateside (Berik, Blauer, Furygan, Ixon, etc.) and US brands like Icon and Klim will be more expensive.

If you need larger sizes I'd recommend looking at Rev'It Airwave 3 - it's ~160 Euro from fc-moto.de, should be similar prices elsewhere in the EU. Rev'It is a Dutch brand, they make stuff that fits tall people well and their gear is high quality.

Haha I'm not tall, I'm wide.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

FBS posted:

Popped a seam in my favorite gloves:

gently caress a warranty claim, this seems like it should be an extremely simple repair. Problem is I don't have a drat clue what I'm doing with a needle and thread, can anybody point me to a how-to guide? Sewing for idiots or something?

This is called a warning sign. PPE that shows wear like this is legally required to be replaced (or serviced by the manufacturer if possible) in any workplace.
This glove has completed it's service life. You can assume that it will no longer adequatly protect you. Consider if it is a fashion item to you or if you wear it for protection. Then you know what to do.

Supradog posted:

This is actually a seam issue.

So all you need is a thread that is not poo poo.
And a normal needle as the holes are there.

Now what you should ask yourself is.

If its broke here from use , what else is done ?

Take the glove.
loving tug it in all directions.
If NOTHING else pops mend it.
If not the carcass of leather is used up.

You would have to restitch the whole seam to meet it's protection rating, most likely.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

FBS posted:

these gloves are less than a year old and have maybe 2k miles on them

Then they should be warrantied.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Infinotize posted:

I've been out of the street errand and commute thing for a while. I have my nerd-gray aerostich that's like 12 years old and is fine, I still wear it everywhere. But is there more normal looking gear these days that's decently protective? I suppose there's leather jacket & riding jeans thing but I remember those jeans always being uncomfortable and still looking dorky as hell.

Someone recently debuted jeans that have the aramid woven in, but I couldnt get them here so I cant say how great it really is.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Horse Clocks posted:

Knox and PandoMoto both make aramid base layers, letting you wear whatever you want on top.

A few companies have come and gone making “business casual” apparel, Aether comes to mind.

Otherwise, it’s jeans and leather.

Check out UrbanRider, a lot of the gear there is aimed towards looks more than protection.

It’s half as effective as aramid lined jeans. Probably good for a commute, but I wouldn’t wear it for any spirited riding.

I was looking for something to use on my city commute which i can also comfortably wear at work.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Are there any good options for wearing armor above my normal jeans? I would like something for commuting that is straightforward to put on and take off.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Horse Clocks posted:

Klim Hardanger, Aerostitch, Rukka <thing>, Joe Rocket <thing>

I have a Hardanger, it is great for commuting. Wore it over a suit once.

Oh I only need something for my legs, I only ride using a jacket, helmet and gloves at all times.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Do your helmets not have built in flip-down sun visors? All the helmets that fit my huge noggin had that.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Nitrox posted:

My Shuberth C4 pro came with an integrated system that uses Sena parts, but is hardwired into the helmet. And in order for me to use it, I would have to buy a helmet-specific battery and controller, which it conveniently did not ship with. Since I already have a Sena c10, I pulled the helmet apart to see what exactly I can use or maybe integrate. Turns out, nothing. Despite having the same speakers and the microphone, the helmet came with wires much thinner than my stand-alone setup, soldered in place. The integrated buttons where much harder to use, and while the standalone unit could be charged while using, the integrated system did not allow for that. So I ripped it all out, and mounted my existing c10 as if it was any other helmet.

What I'm saying is, you might want to read some reviews pertaining to the helmet you're about to buy. In my case, the integrated system made everything worse and took up valuable space. Never again

It's another case of the whole industry being consumer-unfriendly. If just a few major helmet manufacturers picked up a standard that comes with a defined space and connector, we wouldn't have any of these issues. But everyone would much rather sell their own unique overpriced accessory so they can make that sweet sweet $$$.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Razzled posted:

visibility from colors is mostly bullshit anyway, people do not magically see you because you're wearing flaming hot pink/neon. only the reflective poo poo makes a difference

This is incorrect, fluorescent colors are very much more noticeable than anything else during daylight, retroreflectors only help during nighttime. People will see you "magically", because science has made it possible to give items the ability to "light up" by converting UV light into the visible spectrum.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Razzled posted:

that is adorable you believe this

It's a measurable fact, there have been several studies and tests about the use of fluorescence to attract attention surrounding the standards for vests and such. I don't know of any motorcycle specific ones, but if a road worker becomes less likely to be struck because he sticks out to the brains visual processor, I am pretty sure the same will be true for a motorcyclist.
Just like people are more likely to look at a neon sign vs an unlit one.

But hey, it's your choice, just like wearing a proper helmet is your choice.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I love that some of you guys think I am arguing that somehow wearing fluorescent gear is gonna magically protect you and means you should suddenly ride worse.
That's not what I am saying, it's just one more factor potentially reducing risk. Also lol at saying "skill" is gonna save you from critical situations. This is wrong, avoiding dangerous situations in the first place is the only real effective "skill" saving you from other people's mistakes.

These arguments remind me a lot of "loud pipes save lives".

Wear whatever gear you want, dispute scientific facts as much as you want and beat all the statistics. I will continue using gear as a complimentary safety measure, it's certainly not my primary tactic.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

builds character posted:

I hear you friend and will continue to ride only in the dirt wearing ridiculously colorful, mismatched gear.

You do you man, I like my black gear.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Airbags are amazing and protect the spine several times better than anything else. In combination with a good helmet it stands to reason that your spine will survive some of the worst trauma the road can throw at you. The fact that it also protects your chest and squishy bits is just a bonus.
If the cost wasn't so prohibitive, I'd be rocking a Helite Turtle all the time.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
My Held Hamadas are the only pair of gloves that doesn't make me feel like someone is pushing a sawblade into my palm.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Nitrox posted:

What's the advantage of a heated visor? Why do you need one?

And I can probably make one in 30 minutes by using the same technology as a rear window defroster on the car. Just not sure why

You can't because the wire would obfuscate your vision and is too hot for plastic.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I love the Held Hamada

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
As far as I can tell there are long and short zippers and those are pretty universal. But some manufacturers mount them backwards. I have heard from one manufacturer that they just randomly decide which way they do it per model (which is loving dumb), but every other item I've had so far was compatible.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Someone I know is alive because he had his jaw ruined instead of dying. His main impact point was the chin-area, if he had not worn a full face helmet, he would be dead dead. Perfectly "standard" crash with a car pulling a left turn in front of him.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Maybe one of you guys can help me: I love my Schuberth C3 Pro, it's an amazing fit and I am very happy with it. Ever since I've bought it, I played with the idea of putting an intercom in it (really just for music and other infotainment). I tried a few things, like a cheap headset from china, and my latest attempt was the Twiins comm system. It does everything I need and more, but one issue has come up time after time. The speakers exert too much pressure on my ears, getting uncomfortable real fast. This is even though the C3 has cutouts in the foam, I think my ears are actually using that for comfort. I actually got it to "Oh poo poo it doesn't hurt anymore" by sliding the twiins very far forward (basically only half of it still inside the cutout), but after doing a few longer rides with this setup, I still notice it digging into my flesh.

I guess what I'm asking is this:
Are there any ultra low profile helmet speakers? I really don't want or need an external control box or anything like that.

At this point, I might just strip the Twiins and maybe 3D print a super slim case or something.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Patrocclesiastes posted:

If its the Pro model of C3, shouldnt it have the speakers and cutouts for the comms unit and batter in the helmet already for the Schuberth comms unit?

There are Sena and a Cardo comms units rebranded by Schuberth available, but they cost a shitton.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I split the Twiins apart and printed a draft case for the speaker-only side that is about half as thick as the original (and much smaller). I will try running with it in this configuration and if only one side hurts I'll just figure something out to move PCB & battery out of the way and flatten the other side.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I bought a BikerSOS GPS tracker because they are local (as in they are headquartered in my city) and I get a decent EMS discount on the service fees. Right now only their smartphone app does crash detection (and just recently stopped doing that in the free version, without notice), but they told me that the tracker will get crash detection this riding season. I checked the hardware beforehand and it's a generic model you could reflash if push comes to shove.
Shorty after a new product came to market that uses your phone for the actual "getting help" part but does crash detection as well:
https://cosmoconnected.com/en

Probably would have gotten that if it had existed beforehand. But yeah, that ANGi looks decent, only thing I don't like is the battery, but it's a lot less obtrusive than that brake light thing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
My only riding buddy witnessed a bad accident first hand and is still traumatized. Once tried riding with two randos and they just took off at their own speed and I didn't like it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Is there lockable soft luggage? It would just need to prevent being taken or opened without tools. I would not be worried about someone slicing it open.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Yeah I'm mostly trying to find something that is harder to take off than 'unclip'. I am only trying to dissuade opportunistic theft of valueless items. Locking zippers would be more than enough, but most waterproof luggage seems to use rolltops with clips. I have no idea how to lock those clips in any convenient fashion.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Renaissance Robot posted:

This says the RF1400 has MIPS, and I can see the layer right there, but Shoei don't advertise this feature anywhere on their site, and Shoei isn't listed on MIPS' website as a partner manufacturer. In fact it's really difficult to find out generally whether any given helmet has it or not, without having it in my hands to look under the padding.

The MIPS Helmet wasnt the SHOEI I thought?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Greg12 posted:

re: CE

loving the new AAA-AA-A-B-C system

I haven't dived into the way they test it, but at least there are unelected, anonymous bureaucrats in Brussels testing gear for abrasion resistance in a lab.

The tests are either done by manufacturers or third party labs. I don't know which it is for these products, but usually when someone wants to bring something to market in the EU that is questionable, they just find a lab in a less scrupolus member state and get it approved there.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I always wear a microfiber sleeve when riding, it prevents wind fatigue and also stops any annoying rubbing. I honestly hate riding without it and I don't get why anyone does that. It's also pretty negligible when it comes to heat.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
That would be pretty neat and should be easy to acomplish. Maybe we should kickstarter this. Only thing that needs to be researched first is if any manufacturer can supply large enough odd shaped panels. There is a reason welding helmets have a pretty standard/small rectangle, those panels are cheap af.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I'm so jealous of the HJC my friend got on clearance, the thing has everything you could possibly want and more and already costs nothing while not on sale. Meanwhile my huge noggin fits nothing but the most expensive helmets. At least none of the manufacturers at this price point would dare not include a sun visor or pinlock.

Do you guys have a backup helmet? Had to get a part warrantied and the dealer wanted me to send the whole helmet back. I was able to get the cushion replaced in my store with some goodwill by the clerk, but I am wondering how to deal with this sort of situation if I really needed to send it back.
Also could have tried going directly to Schuberth I guess.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Just bought myself an airbag vest on clearance, it's using the helite mechanical system. Looking forward to looking like the biggest dork on the road, but I think it was Ryan from F9 who really sold me on the idea and only price was stopping me until now.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Yeah, but I don't think many of the people on the forums will benefit from it. It's a clearance item at "Louis", they had a very wide selection of sizes (and colors) on the clearance rack locally, but they do have some clearance stock left online.

https://louis.eu/artikel/held-6449-air-vest-airbag-vests/208977?list=daaca6869055340a6989b28071776eb6&filter_article_number=21885005

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
All I have is a GPS tracker that doubles as an automatic eCall. It's not hard to find and disable, but I figure it's still more than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

TorakFade posted:

Isn't riding with a backpack kinda dangerous? I mean if you have a laptop, camera, or other hard/angular thing in it and fall on your back - wouldn't it be risky, possibly breaking something by concentrating the force of impact in a smaller point than just hitting the road?

It depends. But yeah, you wouldn't want to carry knives horizontally. Carrying a laptop or similiar items is actually an advantage. A backpack acts as a sort of backprotector really, as long as the load is evenly distributed it should at the very least not have any negative impact.