Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

New Japan is running arguably the second biggest show of the year tomorrow in an outdoor baseball stadium in Tokyo they haven't run since 1999. While I very much wish this year had been different and their big summer card would've occurred at MSG obviously that's not possible and they've put together a very solid short handed card.

EVIL's match layouts as heel main eventer have been controversial to say the least but even if you're not high on the main title picture the undercard is loaded. Hiromu and Taiji Ishimori have a rematch arguably the best match of 2018, Shingo vs Suzuki is a fresh matchup with a lot of potential, and this is seriously probably the most interested I've been in the heavyweight tag titles since I started following the company in 2012. Even the opener is a part fun little well built undercard singles angle without a title on the line which is something many people have been clamoring more of for years.

D4DJ Groovy Mix Presents
SUMMER STRUGGLE in JINGU
August 29th at 4:00 EDT/9:00 BST
Meiji Jingu Stadium

Special Single Match:Master Wato vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru
KOPW FInals 4-Way Match: El Desperado vs. Toru Yano vs. SANADA vs. Kazuchika Okada
NEVER Openweight Championship:Shingo Takagi(c) vs. Minoru Suzuki
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship:Hiromu Takahashi(c) vs. Taiji ishimori
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Championship:Dangerous Tekkers(c) vs. Golden☆Ace
IWGP Double Gold Championship:EVIL(c) vs. Tetsuya Naito

VTR hype videos:

Wato vs. Kanemaru
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE3Px77LEkM

KOPW Finals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OlFYBjJOOM

NEVER Openweight Championship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1djKIwx8ZE8

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champioship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpxgBKBvWLc

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Championship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whoim2Fzr84

IWGP Double Gold Championship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmfxYzCKTB4

Full preview up at Voices of Wrestling

Thauros fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this feels like a big tier njpw event, like dominion/sakura genesis level, rather than destruction/power struggle. i know summer is normal g1 territory but this feels like maybe it should be the start to a tradition.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

anyway...

Master Wato
Kazuchika Okada
Shingo Takagi
Taiji Ishimori
Golden☆Ace
EVIL

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
can't believe that the dangerous tekkers are going to unlock Dark Ibushi and have him turn on old man Ace :(

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

JOHN CENA posted:

this feels like a big tier njpw event, like dominion/sakura genesis level, rather than destruction/power struggle. i know summer is normal g1 territory but this feels like maybe it should be the start to a tradition.

this was supposed to be the slot for the msg show and they intend on running that next year if possible

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Its 2020 and Shawn Michaels v Diesel is headlining an NJPW show.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

probably my fault but I don't care about any of this except Suzuki against Shingo, which thankfully is worthy of being in a baseball stadium on its own. good luck to all in not dying before you view the event.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Naito gonna win the titles back and make me care about New Japan again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shingo vs. Suzuki is gonna be so loving great.

Source:

Shingo vs <anybody> is loving great
Suzuki vs <anybody> is loving great

Therefore by the transitive property....

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Remember how there were New Japan stans trying to talk up EVIL's title win as an allegory to Nobunaga and that Hiromu would save us via the allegory of Sengoku, and then literally none of that happened and everyone tried to pretend it never did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't remember the last part, I do remember people being super-excited at the prospect of the first part happening and being disappointed in the ending to the match though.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Looking forward to Kazu losing his own gimmick tournament and the birth of Ibushi-gun

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Predictions:

Wato
Yano or Okada
Suzuki
Hiromu
Tekkers
EVIL

I'm fine with getting half of this wrong as long as it's none of the Wato/Taichi/EVIL half

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Master Wato is going to lose, throw a fit, and join Bullet Club and find his true identity

BAM BOW KHONE SOLDIER

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wato, SANADA, Shingo, Hiromu, Golden☆Ace & EVIL are my picks, but Yano winning KOPW would be the absolute best result.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Watomania is going to run wild

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Wato
SANADA taps out Despy while Okada and Yano are tied to each other
MiSu
Hiromu
Tekkers
*sigh* Naito

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Pinche Rudo posted:

Watomania is going to run wild

He's going to drop Kanemaru with a watosault in front of thousands of socially-distanced Watomaniacs screaming through an app.

oh right, predictions:
Wato
Okada
Shingo
Hiromu
Tekkers after Ibushi turns on Tanahashi
Naito following a million Dick Togo interference spots

Seams fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 29, 2020

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

*clears throat*

BWAK! KWOO! HYAH!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
i havent watched njpw in a while so i just hope everyone has fun

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wato
Yano
Shingo
Hiromu
Dangerous Tekkers
Naito

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Kanemaru
SANADA
Shingo
Hiromu
Golden☆Ace
EVIL (I prefer him to Naito, if only for the chance for SANADA to challenge him next)

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

extradite THIS! posted:

*clears throat*

BWAK! KWOO! HYAH!

WHAH! WHOO! KYAAAAH!

BWAK!

I hope Kanemaru wins for that promo video alone. Only 2 hours left!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I've been pretty down on New Japan since they returned because the expectations are so high but this card is pretty great. Really hope the main event doesn't let the side down. Everything else has a basic level of "good", well, except the 4 way because god only knows about that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think suzuki vs shingo will steal motn

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Got my ZSJ shirt on, looking forward to my boy tearing Tana's leg off :toot:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've had a real poo poo week, so I'm excited to post about King Of Sports New Japan Pro Wrestling with all my posting buddies.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm here

https://twitter.com/puffinbrain/status/1299604230827728902?s=19

Rarity posted:

Got my ZSJ shirt on, looking forward to my boy tearing Tana's leg off :toot:

I met a guy with a ZSJ shirt on in the pub before the show and he saw my Taichi shirt and told his wife we were "tag team partners".

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I make no predictions because it's Watoday and therefore I know that MASTER WATO will win.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Japanese events are still capped at 5k right? Crowds gonna look pretty small in that large stadium

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Japanese events are still capped at 5k right? Crowds gonna look pretty small in that large stadium

i dunno, this is also the first non-tokyo dome baseball stadium wrestling i've ever seen that has people sitting in the outfield

i think it'll look 'sparse' but not small. drat those back seats seem awful even for new japan's kinda famously terrible sightlines in all their major venues lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they are allowing a quota of 10k tonight.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'm here

https://twitter.com/puffinbrain/status/1299604230827728902?s=19

I met a guy with a ZSJ shirt on in the pub before the show and he saw my Taichi shirt and told his wife we were "tag team partners".

Have fun dude!

Excited to watch the show, my friend who watched Dominion with me and said Taichi is ”Fat Gackt” is also here!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think it will look fine, they've got us clustered on the infield with only some unlucky fuckers in the stands on the outfield. I think it's 10k but there's more than that signed into the cheer apl

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he's leaned out to be fair

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

he's leaned out to be fair

He got fat purely for the mini-feud with Tana in the NJC. What a worker!

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

It’s been too long so screw it, 1 AM can’t scare me. Watching with my wife tonight.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Thanlis posted:

It’s been too long so screw it, 1 AM can’t scare me. Watching with my wife tonight.

west coast is just about the best us timezone you can watch njpw outside of like, guam

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 29, 2020

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I highly recommend UTC+2, nice summery late saturday morning dedicated to the wrassles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
i wish there was an english translation for this wacky anti-piracy/how to be a good fan bit