Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Where are you located?
Kansas. I've got a new contractor in the picture now so hopefully this will be resolved in less than 2 months. I'm a little amazed they didn't even like try to put a board down over the hole, or at least some caution tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Uh, yeah; that's hosed up.

Any nearby goons that can help prevent a disaster?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

H110Hawk posted:

:stare: Do not look into laser with remaining eye. It's hilarious how yolo people get with lasers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa_tCzIMJjE

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Uh, yeah; that's hosed up.

Any nearby goons that can help prevent a disaster?
Oh I covered the drat hole myself, I am just kinda livid at the OSHA violation they left behind.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Hah. If you're out for revenge post that on their online reviews

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
This is a broken off faucet handle, and not a weird water heater new attachment needed thing isn't it...

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You could always just put a set of vice grips on it for the meanwhile.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Spikes32 posted:

This is a broken off faucet handle, and not a weird water heater new attachment needed thing isn't it...

I suppose it depends on what you're expecting. If you're expecting a wheel like ahose bib that doesn't look like the kind that has that, but the kind you poen with a big screwdriver.

It looks like maybe someone broke part of it off, but from the picture I'm not quite sure. It looks perfectly serviceable. If it's tight to open unscrew the packing nut a bit, do your thing, close it and then tighten that back up again.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Spikes32 posted:

Do not try to remove it. Vise-Grips for life (remaining, of the heater).

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
That looks perfectly usable with a flat head screwdriver. Besides the beveled edges, it looks exactly like a Rherm drain valve. https://parts.rheem.com/product/RPD...m0aAqS9EALw_wcB

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Do not try to remove it. Vise-Grips for life (remaining, of the heater).

They're not that hard to replace. I've done it before.

(Original was a cheap plastic thing that leaked constantly. I replaced it with a metal one that worked fine for the life of the tank.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

They're not that hard to replace. I've done it before.

(Original was a cheap plastic thing that leaked constantly. I replaced it with a metal one that worked fine for the life of the tank.)

This is entirely dependent on age, service history and water chemistry. It's not something your should be suggesting in general based on your samples size of one success.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Our water is on the softer side. Good to know this should work with a flat head or vice grip, I'll be trying to drain it tomorrow.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Trip report, it is indeed a broken handle the flathead screwdriver didn't work at all. But a vice grip did just fine. Even better, the water heater wasn't too sludge filled and I was able to get it relit with no issues.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My inherited microwave has a plastic handle that was wrapped in some kind of chromed plastic, which is peeling off:

What's the appropriate fix here? Is there some kind of replacement wrap I can put on there, ideally without having to remove the original? Ideally something that looks vaguely appropriate and is easy to keep clean. The handle is, I would guess, around 1-2 inches in diameter.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Chrome or silver nail polish isn’t going to match, but it is going to be much less obvious.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Chrome or silver nail polish isn’t going to match, but it is going to be much less obvious.

I'm not too fussed about keeping the original look, but I do want to fix the texture. Where the wrap is peeling off is kind of sharp and unpleasant to handle. I can sand that down easily enough, but I do want to cover the bare plastic underneath. I guess nail polish could be used for that.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
A small piece of vinyl wrap might work. Or if you can remove the handle use bondo, then sand and spraypaint.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My inherited microwave has a plastic handle that was wrapped in some kind of chromed plastic, which is peeling off:

What's the appropriate fix here? Is there some kind of replacement wrap I can put on there, ideally without having to remove the original? Ideally something that looks vaguely appropriate and is easy to keep clean. The handle is, I would guess, around 1-2 inches in diameter.

The easy fix is buying a $25 replacement handle. https://www.amazon.com/WB15X26821-JVM6175SK2SS-JVM7195SK3SS-JVM6175SK1SS-JVM6175EK2ES/dp/B0BXC5DT4V/ref=sr_1_4?sr=8-4

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

:doh: figures, thank you

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I’m in the north of the UK.
I’m sorting out the loft space in my girlfriend’s house so that we can fill it with junk.
She owns the top floor of a 1970’s build house which was “refurbished” before she bought it about 3 years ago.
When it was refurbished the bathroom and kitchen were moved around and the plumbing for these was done in 15mm Pex pipe which runs in the loft space. The loft is insulated and the pipe work is tacked on the joists above the level of the insulation.
None of this pipe is insulated and I assume it probably should be?
Or do I just need to ensure we sort her heating thermostat out and make sure the heating is run lots of it ever drops properly cold here?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
When I had this house inspected, one of the things the inspector recommended was putting the carbon monoxide alarm in the basement stairway. His logic was that carbon monoxide is denser than air, so it'll accumulate in the basement first, so the alarm should be lower down so that I get an alert before it accumulates in the living space. I don't see anything obviously wrong with this, but I'd like a fact check from other, more knowledgeable folks. Would it make sense to have two alarms, one for the basement and one for the upstairs? It's not like they're expensive.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

When I had this house inspected, one of the things the inspector recommended was putting the carbon monoxide alarm in the basement stairway. His logic was that carbon monoxide is denser than air, so it'll accumulate in the basement first, so the alarm should be lower down so that I get an alert before it accumulates in the living space. I don't see anything obviously wrong with this, but I'd like a fact check from other, more knowledgeable folks. Would it make sense to have two alarms, one for the basement and one for the upstairs? It's not like they're expensive.

The average atomic mass of air is about 29 g/mol. Carbon monoxide is 28 g/mol. It is slightly lighter than air.

Put the alarms near the most likely sources of CO - gas water heater, furnace, and fireplace.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also a good reference: https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/where-should-i-place-carbon-monoxide-detector

Generally one per floor, ideally near sources that could potentially output CO as mentioned. If you have to be cheap, near where you're sleeping.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks, sounds like I need to buy a second detector!

Deteriorata posted:

The average atomic mass of air is about 29 g/mol. Carbon monoxide is 28 g/mol. It is slightly lighter than air.

Mass doesn't necessarily correlate with density, right? Sure, an equivalent quantity of atoms of CO is lighter than the same quantity of atoms of standard atmospheric mix, but how much volume do those two occupy at STP?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thanks, sounds like I need to buy a second detector!

Mass doesn't necessarily correlate with density, right? Sure, an equivalent quantity of atoms of CO is lighter than the same quantity of atoms of standard atmospheric mix, but how much volume do those two occupy at STP?

A set volume of any gas at a given temperature and pressure contains the same number of particles (Avogadro's Law). The density is directly proportional to the molar mass.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
PV=nRT, right. pressure * volume = (number of molecules) * temperature * constant. Since pressure, temperature, and quantity are fixed, volume is the same. Man, it's been awhile since I did this stuff.

That in mind, why do you put CO detectors lower down than smoke detectors? I mean, the difference is pretty drat slight, but surely the relative density of CO would be higher at higher altitudes?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Also consider getting a "carbon monoxide monitor" aka https://www.defenderdetectors.com/ll6170.html (this is the only residential level one available afaik). You'd still want an alarm, this is a supplemental thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_R9NaTRVFE

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PV=nRT, right. pressure * volume = (number of molecules) * temperature * constant. Since pressure, temperature, and quantity are fixed, volume is the same. Man, it's been awhile since I did this stuff.

That in mind, why do you put CO detectors lower down than smoke detectors? I mean, the difference is pretty drat slight, but surely the relative density of CO would be higher at higher altitudes?

No, the relative densities will not change with altitude.

There may be reasons for putting a CO detector lower, but it's not due to relative density.

Smoke will be hot and rise to the ceiling, so it makes sense to put those high. Perhaps the CO detector is more useful closer to the level of your head where you're inhaling. I don't know.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Also a good reference: https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/where-should-i-place-carbon-monoxide-detector

Generally one per floor, ideally near sources that could potentially output CO as mentioned. If you have to be cheap, near where you're sleeping.

Code in my area is you must have one within x feet of your water heater / furnace.. lucky for me they're close enough only need the one.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
So I have this old lathe and plaster ceiling, and six small recessed lights.

I would really like to do some kind of ceiling treatment to cover up the lovely old plaster - something like breadboard or planks or those tiles you stick up.

Is there some simple method of getting the recessed light trim to go over whatever I add to the ceiling, or what? I've tried searching this but all I get is thousands of pages on how to install recessed lights which I don't need to do. I can call a professional if I have to but I'm certainly competent to put some breadboard up if it's not too difficult I'd rather save the cash.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Most of those escutcheons around the lights just snap in with springs. Try pulling on one gently. This will let you know just how far out you can finish the ceiling further.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

If you like the look, put up 1/4" drywall, then cove molding.

I had severely flaking paint on the bathroom ceiling, which is plaster. Rather than screw around trying to scrape it all off, I put up 1/4" It's been over 20-years & it's holding up well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kid sinister posted:

Most of those escutcheons around the lights just snap in with springs. Try pulling on one gently. This will let you know just how far out you can finish the ceiling further.

Yeah, see if you can work a putty knife under the edge. They may just slide out with gentle prying

Can you post a picture?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I inherited a silver bowl that hadn't been polished in probably over 40 years. It was, of course, badly tarnished. I got some silver polish ("Wright's Silver Cream", some kind of foaming paste with quartz as an abrasive), and it mostly works, but a) it takes a ton of elbow grease, and b) it's not getting some spots, leaving dark rings behind.

Any advice/suggestions for ways to more thoroughly clean this, ideally without ruining my shoulders in the process?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Random q for the chat - had a home inspection today and the pipes in the house are polyB

Ok, no huge deal, I've paid to re-pipe a house before that needed it (old CPVC) HOWEVER this house has a kitchen island/counter thing where the sink and dishwasher are that could only be fed from a supply that runs through the foundation.

I am trying to find out what types of in-ground/foundation plumbing was used in the 90s that may be likely used in this case as well - any ideas or references?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

FormatAmerica posted:

Random q for the chat - had a home inspection today and the pipes in the house are polyB

Ok, no huge deal, I've paid to re-pipe a house before that needed it (old CPVC) HOWEVER this house has a kitchen island/counter thing where the sink and dishwasher are that could only be fed from a supply that runs through the foundation.

I am trying to find out what types of in-ground/foundation plumbing was used in the 90s that may be likely used in this case as well - any ideas or references?

Probably going to vary based on the state, if it was Texas for ex. It would be copper as I don't think anything else could be put under a slab. (Had to be brazed, certain compression fittings were only added to code a couple years ago iirc)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I inherited a silver bowl that hadn't been polished in probably over 40 years. It was, of course, badly tarnished. I got some silver polish ("Wright's Silver Cream", some kind of foaming paste with quartz as an abrasive), and it mostly works, but a) it takes a ton of elbow grease, and b) it's not getting some spots, leaving dark rings behind.

Any advice/suggestions for ways to more thoroughly clean this, ideally without ruining my shoulders in the process?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rScF3-4wVQs

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm not sure if there's a full plumbing thread but this is a minor problem so I thought I'd ask here.

I have an heated towel rail in my bathroom that is leaking. It's a slow leak, just the occasional drip from what I can see. How do I fix it?

The leak is coming, from what I can tell, from the thick horizontal cylinder pointing into the center of the radiator.

This will be my first time doing any plumbing so step by step instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm not sure if there's a full plumbing thread but this is a minor problem so I thought I'd ask here.

I have an heated towel rail in my bathroom that is leaking. It's a slow leak, just the occasional drip from what I can see. How do I fix it?

The leak is coming, from what I can tell, from the thick horizontal cylinder pointing into the center of the radiator.

This will be my first time doing any plumbing so step by step instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

There is in fact a plumbing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131944

That looks like it's potentially an air bleeder valve and that all looks like very Svenska plumbing which I'm not at all up on parts for, but I bet someone over there is.