Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The cheapo option will be to use that single pane window and put a layer of insulating shrink-film on the frame.

You can't open the window then of course, but you probably don't want to open it much in the winter anyway. Come spring you can remove the film, use it like a regular window, then do the film again in the summer and/or winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Fwiw there are still a few old school grinder-style dishwashers, I think Wirecutter has a recommendation for one although they strongly urge suggest just going with a filter model

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Theoretically, slide-ins have a higher end connotation to them. The real difference is where you prefer the control knobs, on the front or the back.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

One coat of Killz imo

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There's so many killz...maybe killz2?

I usually just go with original for something like this but I'm sure premium or 2 or 3 will work fine too.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Recently close don a condo. The kitchen doesn't have a backsplash. Wife wants subway tile, and I was looking in to planning that out, but the gap between the counter and the cabinets is roughly 13.5 inches, so with 3" tiles we'd still have a sizeable gap.

How would you go about tiling something like that? Have an accent tile on the top or bottom to fill that space? Do something right in the middle?

Related, I've never done any tiling, but it seems fairly straightforward. Is this a doable project for someone that is fairly handy?

That's a kind of unfortunate size because imo the "right way" to tile and have it look right is to have the same amount of partial tile on both edges, rather than a whole tile and then a partial at the end. Looks more professional. But with that space you'd end up with a 3/4" tile for the top and bottom rows, so I'd probably look for a 1.5-2" accent row.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I feel like you'll never be able to match the finish on the cut surface to the finished surface.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

Post a picture of this please, I need to see exactly what you're dealing with.

If I understand correctly, he wants to cut off the backsplash portion of the quartz countertop.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

What do I do for a moulding on this corner?
https://i.imgur.com/1Jf8E9y.jpg
I'd estimate the angle at 30°.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Silly question but do you need the full 16' length? They'll do two cuts at the store for free if, say, you really just need two 6' lengths

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I've been binging This Old House on Pluto and man, there's no faster path to humility than to watch these guys at work.

Anyway, the end of stage 1 of my house renovation (i.e., I can actually move in) is in sight so I'm excited. Finishing up the plank tile in the kitchen (and fwiw if anyone is planning on laying plank tile, the leveling system was a huge, huge help), then cabinets and a few light fixtures and we can move in!

Pretty great feeling given that this is my far the biggest project I've ever taken on. When I'm done I'll post some before and after so y'all can publicly compliment and silently judge my work :)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Fwiw the SnowJoe electric snowblower hugely exceeded my (admittedly modest) expectations. It's a bit annoying continually managing the extension cord but it handled Denver winters just fine and is a drat sight easier to move around and use than a gas powered snowblower. They're pretty cheap too. I think I got the midrange model, around $130ish.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Installed a ceiling fan with a light today. It uses LED bulbs that it came with and has three brightness settings. On max bright there's an obvious flicker, most noticeable out of the corner of your eye. Reminds me of 60 hz CRT flicker. My mom doesn't see it but it's intolerable for me. Medium and low brightness are flicker-free.

Any chance better lightbulbs will fix it?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

More but different dishwasher talk:

I'll be installing a dishwasher next week as part of a kitchen reno. There isn't one currently. It's the newer style that doesn't drain the debris-water into the garbage disposal for grindage but an air gap is recommended.

Here is a pic of the garbage disposal which will survive the renovation.
https://imgur.com/a/FWIdYxr
I'm assuming the top port is for old style dishwashers to feed their water into but can it be used as the air gap or do I need to have one of those metal cylinder things on the sink?

No, I haven't read the instructions yet.

Thanks for informations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Elviscat posted:

Think about it, if you use the disposal connection as an air gap, water will come out of there when you send water down thee drain.

You need an actual air gap.

My thought was that the port is probably for water from the dishwasher and that there's likely a 1-way valve in there since you wouldn't want sink water going into the dishwasher either. Or, that it's high up enough on the disposal body that backflow isn't a concern.

But if I need the actual air gap unit then so be it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Getting ready to do the countertops in my kitchen and I'm nervous. I've watched videos but any other tips y'all can provide? How viable is it to just use a jigsaw with a downcut laminate blade? Orbital setting on 0?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ah I should have mentioned that it's an off the shelf countertop with the laminate already on. Would you still recommend a router? I also have a jigsaw, circular saw, and mini circular saw. I'm probably overthinking it and it'll be fine.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks all. Yeah, doing both the edges and a sink cutout. Total of 5 edge cuts for all the countertops. The walls in this house aren't very straight so I'm worried about the backside too. I'll pick up a laminate blade for the circular saw and do the edges with that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Motronic posted:

That's what caulk is for.

Seriously, don't go chasing the wall cutting up the back of your countertop - that's madness. And what do you intend to do about a backsplash?

The backsplash will come after I've moved in and taken a little break -- other than Christmas day I haven't had a real day off in months. Point taken though. There was a Lowe's how-to vid that talked about using a (geometry style) compass and pencil to get the back flush

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

A 2-3" section of grout keeps coming out of my plank tile floor. Obviously one of the tiles didn't get enough thinset. I really, really don't want to take it out and replace it. Is there any other option.

http://imgur.com/a/9cDVSIV (HDR makes the tile and grout look strange, but the only problem area is where it's coming out)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

Easiest? Color matched caulk.

That's pretty genius but I'll never be able to match the color

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

If you don't know the grout color you should be able to get a grout color chart and match it.
I'm pretty sure you can get them at any of the big box stores, if not try a local tile supplier.

Problem is I mixed three colors together to match the tile. I know the recipe I used so I guess theoretically I can buy the three matching colors of caulk and mix them.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Would I be able to "regenerate" an ink pad by adding drops of bottled ink to it?

Yes, that's the intended usage for them. You can buy vials of ink specifically for that purpose. Eventually the sponge will degrade but until that point feel free to add ink.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

What does the bottom of the sink look like? Is it flat or only has a ridge that makes contact with the countertop? Is it held down by a lip and kitchen sink-style clips?

Without any more info, I'd say construction adhesive on the bottom contact area and silicone caulk on the outside.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Killz 2 works well if you don't want to have to think about it. Residue from stickers, stains, grease, oil based or latex, it'll prep the wall fine over any of that. Not the cheapest option though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

redbrouw posted:

I think we're going to end up on something like very light grey with dark grey accent walls, but we don't know. My partner just hates the colour it is right now and doesn't want to rush into anything (especially since a lot of the paint places are closed right now.)

The big box stores are open and are fine for paint, unless you prefer to support smaller businesses.