Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Turns out my parents' unfinished basement has a good scattering of dried cat poo poo. The floor is concrete with chipping paint.

My plan of attack:
1) gloves and respirator
2) get a big paint scraper and chip off what can chip off
3) rent this beast from Home Depot

It is overkill, I would rent a smaller model if they had it, but they don't. And it's better than spending hours on my hands and knees.

Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Any suggestions on how to get a 90-lb unwieldy thing down a flight of stairs? There is an external bulkhead, access won't be a problem, but I sure wish I could have a friend come help. I can lift 90lbs but stairs aren't ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It's so dried and ground into the rough concrete. A mop will take forever and spread it around. The goal is to really get rid of the cat poo poo and get the floor sanitized.

I'm not as worried about up, just get my shoulder behind it and shove. I'm more concerned about it getting away from me on the down.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think part of the issue is the number of separate jobs that have to be done.
1) chunks up (by hand)
2) hot water down to hydrate what's left
3) scrub to loosen it
4) suck up the water/poo poo mixture
5) another pass of #3-4 to sanitize

If I'm boiling water and carrying jugs up and down, #2 could take a seriously long time. #4 is another stumbling block, I'm not sacrificing every towel in the house, so that would mean renting a wet vac, which has most of the negatives of the cleaner rental.

mobby_6kl posted:

Wouldn't a pressure washer work instead?
Would be perfect if it were a sidewalk, but not indoors.

The Dave posted:

That Home Depot rental is fairly cheap though, there’s probably some hidden cost like the shampoo isn’t included or something. I rented a jackhammer from them awhile back and I had to pay an extra $10 to rent the bits.
Yeah, with taxes and fees it's $75 for 4 hours, $115 for 24 hours. It doesn't come with cleanser, but nbd to buy a big jug for $10 while I'm there.

PainterofCrap posted:

Is the cat poo poo really stuck on there? Unless they were blowing really loose movements, most cat feces turns into loose Tootsie Rolls / rock logs within a day or two.
It is stuck and some of it is puddles. I think on like linoleum it wouldn't be so bad, but the concrete is so rough that even if you chip off a log well, it's still in every tiny pit and around every tiny pebble. If you chip off a log badly (my dad using a snow shovel because he doesn't want to buy a $2 scraper), the bottom third just stays.

I hear you guys saying elbow grease can do it, but I straight-up don't have the time and I'm rehabbing a knee injury. I'll give it a shot in one area and see if it goes much faster than I expect, but I'm not sure.

I think the perfect solution would be renting this smaller model, but Home Depot doesn't offer it and I don't know anywhere else that rents tools (Lowe's doesn't). If there are any other labor-saving solutions, I would be down for those too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Update: my dad has duct-taped a postage-stamp-sized grill brush to a dowel so now we are all set :shepicide:

e: backstory: I live in an apartment in NYC, my parents live in the middle of nowhere. My mom (who usually does everything) is away taking care of other relatives and my dad isn't super great at caring for himself, so I came to take basic care of him and the house. But he was alone for a month first. I knew stairs were getting hard for him, but I didn't know apparently he just didn't ever go to the basement, which is where the litter boxes are, so the cats went rogue.

This whole "look I fixed thing" is extremely mychildhood.txt. Dad never wanted to spend $10 on a purpose-built solution if he could jury-rig something that would end up costing $20 and a day of manual labor for mediocre results. It took me a long time and some real help to get out of that mindset. While I'm mostly making the decisions here for now, unfortunately the car is his so he has some level of veto power. I can order poo poo online, but a $1.5k scrubber is not among those things.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 14, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Imo the easiest/cheapest way to do that is going to be nail polish with a clear coat over it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Hi, I have a dumb question. I'm moving into a new apartment with a used fridge (freezer on top, fridge below, white, '80s/'90s-looking Whirlpool, don't know the actual date).

Yesterday when I saw the space, the fridge and freezer were appropriate fridge and freezer temps.

Today, the fridge felt cool, but the inside of the freezer was extremely hot. Ambient temp is 85°F and it literally felt like I was opening an oven, easily 100°F+ inside. I could touch the back wall without getting burned, but it was definitely hot significantly above ambient. It was also making noises.

I was worried about an electrical fire and unplugged it. It's hard to google, but was that normal for a defrost cycle? The whole thing is empty right now, but if there was stuff in the freezer, wouldn't it, like, cook the food?

Please let me know if I should bother my super or quietly plug it back in.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Also, who puts a dimmer in a bathroom? Is it to set the mood while you're dropping a deuce?
you gotta start taking baths dude

Ime, LEDs -- yes dimmable LEDs, yes with an LED-capable dimmer -- have that kind of nonlinear dimming. Takes a little more playing around with.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

effika posted:

Wood where I'm at is insane, so I really didn't want to spend $$$ on a post. Also I'd have to get some help to do it (upper body issues) and that means it's a now a Project... and then I'm back to taping laminated print-outs along the downspout again.

But yeah, I guess a post really is the better option overall. It's an option that isn't a good fit for what I can do right now, but it definitely is the better option in the long run.

So... Any thoughts on other ways I can make the address really big and nearer to the street than the house since none of the delivery people look at the house for whatever reason? Maybe some really big reflective stickers I can put there? (Those all are so small, though, at least the ones I'm finding.)
Just get a sign and shove it in the ground next to your driveway entrance. This is on the cheap/temporary end, but there are plenty of fancy custom ones too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Agreed you should literally just huck them in the woods, it's what my parents do in a similar situation. You can drag them on a tarp. If it's dense woods, they don't blow out significantly.

e: you can also huck your Christmas tree in the woods

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I can't see exactly where the bulb is in the fixture, but depending on the fixture, the cell can be partially covered so it's on in the daylight, or its own light can be reflected by the fixture so it goes on/off like you described. The fact that it worked correctly when you covered the cell manually points in that direction imo.

If that's the case, you may be better off with an outlet timer. They have ones that automatically adjust to daily changes in sunrise/sunset. The only downside is they don't respond to weather and would need to be flipped manually on dark, stormy days.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Is the scratch just in the finish or in the actual wood? I've used clear nail polish for the former

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Can I just add -- a straightforward kitchen faucet replacement is 100% a thing you can do yourself. You can use it to audition a plumber if you want, but you can also just watch a couple youtube videos and save hundreds.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Sincerely, train him to wear shoes

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

PremiumSupport posted:

From a legal standpoint, you could be held responsible for the cost of restoring the space to its previous state if the landlord decides they don't like your modifications. This includes, but is not limited to putting up shelving, changing paint colors, and changing light fixtures. In most cases this gives the landlord cause to not return your security deposit, but it could lead to being sued in court.
Like everything, it depends on where you are. For example, in NYC the landlord is legally required to repaint every 3 years anyway, so as long as you don't paint a dark color that would require more coats to cover, it doesn't matter at all. Putting up shelving and art are totally fine as long as you remove them when you move out.

Also, landlords here can't just decide to keep the whole security deposit if you left a shelf behind. If they keep anything, it must be itemized and include actual receipts, so if it took someone (generously) 30 minutes to take down a shelf and spackle the hole, that's all they can deduct from your deposit.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You might want something like this for cheap. You can be sure it's flat enough, and it has snaps to keep the sandpaper secure.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Jippa posted:

Can I steam clean my sheet vinyl flooring? I have spent a while looking for an answer and I have found pretty much every one possible. From "it's fine" to "it's ok on sheet but not tile or plank" to "never ever do it".

I was hoping someone with actual experience doing could help or does anyone know a reputable site they trust which discusses it? Thanks.
I don't know if it's recommended, but my mom has been doing it for like 20, 25 years. I would guess just don't flood it and dry it at the end?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
In NYC it's often a co-op

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's a lot of keys floating around if you're concerned about security. I would get 1 per (adult) resident plus a spare one to throw in the junk drawer. It's equally cheap to have a key copied down the road if you need to.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's exactly the issue with too many spares, imo -- when you hand one to a dogwalker, house sitter, neighbor, visitor, etc., you won't be in a hurry to get it back and you may not realize it's gone at all. Having one spare in a designated (frequently visible) spot takes care of that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Looking for some clever ideas for a dumb problem I've caused for myself. We found a great deal on some solid doors that we've been wanting to replace in our house (20 bucks per door), only problem being they're 2 inches too wide, and already cut for knobs.

Pretend I'm too poor to just purchase the correct doors. Just, as like, a fun thought exercise.

The current plan is make 2-1/8" plugs to pop into the current holes, and then cut the doors to width and drill out new holes in the correct spot. I can't find anyone selling plugs of that size in anything less than 250 count for some reason. I don't have a drill press, so a plug cutter of that size I suspect would be impossible to use on a drill. I could do a regular hole saw, but I can't figure out what the internal diameter would be on a slightly larger bit. I don't have access to a lathe.
I'm a dumb idiot, but can I ask why you can't just trim the hinge side?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yes, that's super easy/common. The whole thing goes in the existing middle hole. You get a "deck plate" to go on the surface and cover up the other holes. Measure and make sure you get a deck plate that fits and covers up the holes.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
This is for sure a PO move, but it seems like one of these guys would fix both of your problems in 30 seconds

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

We used to have one of those stuck to the wall. Now there is a sticker on the wall where it used to be.
You do it with screws, I didn't even know they made sticker options

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Maybe I'm biased from growing up in New England, but I wouldn't gently caress with that. You could get lucky if it really only goes below freezing for a couple hours at a time, but those days when it'll snow sounds like you could get extremely unlucky. Is the heating not working? It doesn't have to be kept at a comfortable temperature, but setting it to only 50° could still prevent your house from getting wrecked.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That is definitely a thing that exists and that you can do. Google "swag light"

I personally think it'll look bad, but I think it usually does anyway. It is definitely a thing people do though

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can't dye things lighter. Definitely do an exchange. If you can't, you could try posting on a local buy nothing group to see if anyone wants to trade?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Won't kill you, but I still wouldn't do nothing. I would have a DustBuster running or at least a wet paper towel to catch it all. I would also wear an N95 if you have one around anyway

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Opopanax posted:

So I have a decent sized pool, it’s above ground but they built the deck around it. Every year I spend a couple weeks and several hundred dollars getting it set up, and then we use it maybe 2 or 3 times.
I don’t know if anyone here would have experience with this but I’m considering getting some ducks and turning it into a pond. How feasible is that and what do I need to consider?
You would not believe how much ducks poo poo

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The ducks will poo poo directly into the pond. And dabble.

The outcome is going to be you spending like 10x as much time and effort to use the pool 0 times. Ducks also don't want to cuddle, so your main interactions are going to be looking at them, buying food for them, cleaning up after them, and trying to get them into a coop before dark every night (which your schedule will revolve around). Everything wants to eat ducks so your kids will get to watch the circle of life up close.

Source: my aunt has a duck, and it's extreme effort for honestly no reward. The duck is pretty though

If you absolutely have to do it, I would at least get a goose. Bigger shits but it has a better shot at defending itself, or at least making such a racket you come out and save it. It will bite you, though, but so will the ducks

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Domestic geese are more trainable than ducks, and some even have the capacity for affection. If you're willing to put in the time, you can end up with a guard goose who's chill with your family, while being vicious to raccoons, dogs, mailmen, etc.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Stain came out even, thanks

Sorry to tell you about the angry muppet in your house

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
A brand new one-bulb flush fixture is as low as $8-15 at Home Depot, super easy to install, and if it catches on fire you can probably sue

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Admittedly I’m lazy, but it might not be the worst option to pick a day that’s not too windy, tape up some garbage bags around/behind them, and go nuts with a sprayer

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

STR posted:

Visiting my parents for a bit, and... this has always bothered me, but it's getting worse over time.

They have two attic hatches - the kind with the pull down stairs. Both are sagging. One is in the (uninsulated) garage, so not really a big deal. The other is in the hallway - you can feel cold air coming down in the winter, and it's noticeably warmer in the hall in the summer (and of course the HVAC thermostat is directly below it).

We've adjusted them as much as possible, but these things are pushing 30 years old, and it shows. Is there a way to replace just the springs? If so, do I just measure a spring or take one with me to LowesDespot? How do you install the springs, just a pry bar?
I’m dumb so feel free to ignore me, but if the goal is just to keep the door closed, what about adding a little latch?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don’t know how close you are geographically or emotionally, but in my family that would be the point where the younger generation says “you’re not allowed to use this ladder (without me).” You don’t want an old ill guy with bad balance trying to race up a rickety ladder in an emergency. Ideally you want to train them to stay put and call you or a neighbor or a plumber asap. I would just plan to replace the filter myself at Christmas and maybe the Fourth of July. Or find a neighbor or fellow church member who’ll do it for an apple pie or something. Ymmv, obviously it depends on the kind of relationship you have, but imo it seems like the ladder has to be a no-go area, the question is just whether it happens before or after a broken hip or worse

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
They also usually go through your door’s peephole, so the camera itself is indoors and not exposed. But you could put any other camera indoors the same way, as long as you have a peephole (or a neighboring window or something)

A wasp nest would be way cooler, though. At this time of year you could actually get a real wasp nest that’s abandoned

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

caluki posted:

The front door on our house requires you to pull it tight to lock it (or push it tight from the inside). It's new construction (1 year) so door hardware, hinges, etc are all pretty fresh. It latches fine, so i've considered this a minor annoyance and otherwise not worried about it. But I installed a SimpliSafe smart lock yesterday and it unlocks fine, but struggles to lock the door since the deadbolt only aligns perfectly when you pull the door tight.

It looks like this may be happening because the weather stripping is too thick and springy. It's this kind which basically is two layers, folded/sandwiched over each other and when closing the door it does seem to push back slightly when it impacts the stripping. I'm assuming I'll need to pull it out and find some thinner weather stripping, but am I missing some easier/better way to adjust the door?

https://imgur.com/dk36tsr
You can replace the stripping, or you can remember to manually pull it for under a year and the existing stripping will compress to fit. Source: laziness

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yes. Fun fact, if there are mice in your house, they love living in oven insulation and that is their highway

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I also have both. I’ve seen people plumb the washer in to showerheads, the toilet supply line, and regular laundry hookups. I’ve also seen the dishwasher plumbed in permanently.

I don’t think you want to do that for the sink faucet because it would be huge and incredibly annoying. But if you want to, you can find adapters. Don’t know if the hose hookups are safe for drinking water or if you can fit aerators to them for normal tap use, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have a brand-new window AC. Sometimes it sounds totally normal. Sometimes there’s a pretty big running water sound, or an ongoing sound I can only describe as turbulent airflow. The model

The AC is slanted away to drain!!!! and I don’t see anything blocking the vents. This is a high-floor apartment so I can’t access it from the outside.

I can live with the noise, I just want to be sure nothing is hosed up and/or loving things up?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 16, 2023