Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

actionjackson posted:

it looks like blum does have a hinge that allows you to adjust on the third dimension (closer to and further away from the cabinet frame), but it's in their clip-top series which is for frameless cabinets. depth adjustment in this image

Blum does make a small, face-frame, overlay hinge with all three adjustments. I used them recently and they have a built in soft closer in the hinge but I don't know the model/part number. HDL limited or some other big online Blum distributor should have a catalog where you can find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bioshuffle posted:

What's the best way to remove IKEA warning stickers from the unfinished wooden panel? I looked up if it's safe to use Goo Gone, but it says it's not safe for unfinished wood. Can I just get sand paper and whittle it down? I just don't want a gigantic ugly sticker every time I open the drawers. Even my tried and true hair dryer trick seems to be sluggish at best.

Naphtha, acetone, or lacquer thinner should do it and should leave any residue on the wood, especially if you lightly sand it afterwards.

E: acetone and lacquer thinner will definitely gently caress up any finish it gets on, so I would try naphtha first. It’s in the paint department at Lowe’s or wherever as ‘VM & P naphtha’

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There are shock absorbers for fall protection harnesses. IIRC they work by being stitched together with thread that breaks at a certain point and slows you down as you fall 5 more feet or something. I'm not sure what the best keyword would be, and I think they would be too heavy duty for your application.

Once you get something off the ground, attaching a safety cable from the object to a beam or w/e that is short enough to keep it from hitting the ground would work?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Spookmaster posted:

I just picked up this guy at an estate sale for super cheap. I'm going to build new drawers for it but I'm trying to figure out the best way to strip the rust. I've used evapo-rust on old tools before but that's just letting them soak in a bucket of it. I know they have a gel version but the reviews on it seem iffy. Any suggestions?

Maybe it is just the photo, but the greenish/white stuff makes me think it is galvanized or some kind of copper/brass/bronze situation? You might ask in the metalworking thread they know all kinds of weird stuff.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

> Start Digging

DIY&H's first mystery CYOA thread?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I need to replace some exterior 1x4 trim/fascia. Any thoughts on KDAT pine vs Western red cedar? Is one better for paintholding/durability? Price is fairly comparable on both. When/if I redo it all I may go with a composite/PVC, but for the patching I am doing now, I'd like to stick with wood so I can match the existing profile details.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bioshuffle posted:

I have a lawn that is a mix of Bermuda and St. Augustine, and different areas of the lawn are dominated by different grasses. Do I just need to pick one or the other and encourage growth that way?

I'm having trouble finding weed and feeds that cater to both. For reference, I live in Texas.

They are probably going to mix. My yard is a mix of centipede, bermuda, st. augustine and weeds and it's fine. The st. augustine probably prefers the shadier, wetter areas and the bermuda will likely do better in the sunnier parts. As long as it is all green, who cares? St. Augustine is very sensitive to herbicides than most grasses, so you have to be careful with which weedkillers you use to make sure you don't also damage the st. augustine.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Chainclaw posted:

Gloves won't work because I'm making Warhammer objective markers. I don't really want to force me and my opponent to find some gloves to play Warhammer.

I haven't worked with mylar in forever, but it looks like it is fairly solvent resistant and you could probably spray some clear satin lacquer or something on it that wouldn't show the prints as much, but you'd also lose some clarity. Or ask your friends to wash the Cheeto dust and Frito grease off their goony fingers before the game?

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Can you get a generator that runs on your home natural gas connection? Is that a bad idea, since if your electricity is gone due to a natural disaster, natural gas might be gone too?

Around here everyone with a permanently installed standby generator runs it on their normal natural gas. The only time in my parent's memory the gas has gone out was the worst hurricane in living memory 40-50 yrs ago, and that was because the gas company pre-emptively turned the gas off before the storm in case uprooted trees damaged the gas lines. They pretty quickly turned it back on when it became apparent there wasn't major damage to the gas lines.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

How did you do the cool retro aluminum edge banding?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

LLSix posted:

I have an odd question, but I figure if anyone knows the answer, it'll be one of you goons. Are there good shows or youtube channels for DIY/gardening/outdoor survival?

My wife and I really enjoyed watching Survivorman when it came out several years ago. Recently we've tried watching shows like Alone and The Repair Shop, but they both focus too much on the human element. What we really want is something more focused on skills and techniques. Maybe something like How It's Made, but at a level that's at least theoretically possible for one or two people to do without needing a whole factory. Or maybe something like a cooking show, but for other household tasks. Good cooking show suggestions are also welcome, but I will be surprised if you can recommend something we haven't already watched.
The home improvement shows on PBS are much more like this. 'Let's do the the thing' not 'DRAMA.' They are 'Ina Garten cooks nice food-here's how' not 'COMPEPTITITVE COOKING IN 1 HOUR!!!!! WHO WILL SURVIVE!?' Lots of them are available for free online, or at least recent seasons are. A few that come to mind:
'This Old House
'The Victory Garden'
'P. Allen Smith's Garden home' or w/e it's called
'The Woodwright's shop'
'New Yankee Workshop'
'Hometime'

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm mainly an office shlub, but need work boots if I go to a job site.
So something comfortable that can get dirty. I don't need steel toe and I'm not doing any ladder work.

I'm looking at the Danner Springfields (hiking boot looking work boot) and redwing dynaforce or classic supersole.

I'm looking for something that will be comfortable and last a long time. Otherwise I'd just buy another pair of timberlands, which the toe is currently falling off of after only a couple of years.

I really like my red wings 2406 and 2 pairs have lasted me a decade. https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/mens/boots/SuperSole-2.0-02406.html?cgid=mens-work-boots

Both pairs still exist-the first pair has been resoled twice and now they’re my painting boots. I think there is a soft toe version too. I think they look decent-just kind of a plain work boot that doesn’t stand out and looks okay for office work too. They’re the most comfortable shoes I own, but more fitted insoles definitely help. I don’t really like the lighter leather of timberlands and something about Danners have always looked goofy to me, but that’s entirely personal.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm exploring the idea of covering my old knockdown/textured plaster walls with 1/4" drywall. The walls are painted of course-I presume that means skim coating over the texture isn't really an option, and even if it was, it would keep cracking in all the same places, right?

Is the process basically the same as new work drywall? Would I just screw into studs as normal, or is there an adhesive I would use instead of/in addition to that? Mud over the texture so the new drywall doesn't sound hollow or something? I think my studs are 16" OC, but small chance they are 24"OC if that matters. The plaster is over rock lath not wood lath, and I have yet to find a studfinder that can find a stud through that. I would be doing the ceilings too, and also probably redoing most of the trim as well.

Is the price of drywall currently nuts like most building materials or is $10-12/sheet pretty normal?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

movax posted:

Dumb question with likely obvious answers... my power bill has been spiking lately and I don't think I've ever heard my fridge compressor ever actually click off (or least something is always running). It is a Sub-Zero 361 (model 361FD) which, judging from its production timeline, is original to the house (1984).

Historical Sub-Zero quality impressiveness aside, what are the typical fridge troubleshooting steps? Take a look at thermostat, clean condenser coils, etc? The door gasket might be hosed seeing as I can pull it right open after closing it without nary a hint of suction. The freezer at least still seems to have a working gasket as it does stick for a bit after closing it.

Or should I really look at replacing a 37 year old refridgerator?

A lot of Sub-Zero’s are a non-standard size and can be tricky to replace if it’s built into cabinets or something. Maybe they only make countertop depth ones and not full depth? I can’t remember the details, but it’s a problem a client ran into once, so you might want to check the specs before you assume a replacement will be an easy drop in.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

See this row of cabinets?

Thinkin about getting rid of them. We don't really need the space and it would open the kitchen up a little more.

Is cabinet removal a DIY-able project for someone who's not an idiot with tools but not super experienced either? They seem to be nailed into the ceiling, possibly glue too. I'm guessing it will mostly be cutting and prying the cabinet tops away from the ceiling. For simplicity, and because I think it will look okay, I would probably leave that boxy ceiling protrusion in place and slap some drywall on the bottom if necessary. Making the backsplash look right where the cabinets used to be might a little tricky too. Are there any other complications I'm not foreseeing?

Also the cabinet way on the right is separate, they don't connect through:

To add to what everyone else said, they are probably screwed to the ceiling and there is a reasonable chance they are screwed with square drive screws because the cabinet world likes those, so make sure you've got a square bit handy (or just sawzall). That is definitely going to be heavy, so have some friends to help you or just demolish in place if you don't care about saving them.

Can't say I have any great ideas for the backsplash-maybe just cover it all with An Art? Depending on what's behind the cabinets/how the tile was done it may be a little tricky to patch the tile.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

A really great and nice solo contractor just did a few grand of work at our new house and was awesome. Is it customary to tip a contractor? I have no idea.

I did send him home with several loaves of homemade bread :colbert:
The best tip you can give your good contractor is to recommend them to friends/family/etc and call them back when you need more work

Bread/beer/wine etc is great too and makes you stand out as a good client imo. Extra money maybe feels like ‘you don’t know how to price your own work,’ but also I don’t think anyone would complain. Don’t be surprised if they magically get more expensive next time.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

erosion posted:

help

I can't get into the garage, apparently it lost power and the rolling door doesn't open. we never got a key for the side door and I never got around to replacing the knob.

I tried picking the lock, but that didn't work. then I got mad and took the mallet and chisel to it.

that was a mistake.

any ideas?

:balldo:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I don't know about water etc. but planting a tree out there to shade the room/window will sure help too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

spacetoaster posted:

Thanks for the information. I can actually do the more difficult (but more durable) stuff because it's brand new and tools/machines won't be installed for at least 3 more weeks. It's just a big empty space until then.
I painted the old gross floor in my shop with Sherwin Williams industrial enamel with a grippy additive. It’s held up pretty well and was much much cheaper than epoxy or something. I think I had to prime it with something particular and if it is new concrete it will definitely need a particular primer.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm really curious about what a foam lance is and why it involves pressurized piping :confused:

To echo everyone else though, pipe sizes are weird and your best bet is to wander around the plumbing aisle at a hardware store if that is an option.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have a lamp that is behaving strangely. It will only stay illuminated if the bulb is unscrewed juuuust the right amount and at just the right angle. Sometimes just bumping the table its on will make it turn off. It's twin started doing this at some point too, but seems to be working okay now? Is there something I need to clean in the socket or a wire loose somewhere? It looks like very standard lamp hardware and uses standard base pointy bulbs. I put a new bulb in and that made no difference.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

I am building a stool for my toddler and i was planning to stain it but she wants it purple and i realize now i have never painted furniture. What kinda paint do you use on furniture?
You want enamel of some sort. Sherwin Williams has some water based alkyd enamels that work well. I’ve used their Emerald urethanized trim enamel and it’s nice but it ain’t cheap. Gloss is generally more durable and easier to clean than flatter sheens. I would stay away from latex as it always feels just a little gummy and isn’t as tough. If you can stick the stool somewhere warm and dry for a week or two to really let the paint cure before you subject it to toddler, that will help a ton too with durability.

If it’s a step stool you might want to add some sand or some other grippy additive on the top as glossy enamels can be quite slippery.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

FogHelmut posted:

Is there a place that does?

Sherwin Williams/Benjamin Moore/any real paint store

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Here is the AI small engine repair thread which I just added to the OP, for anyone who might be looking:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888147

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I have an electric corded Worx chainsaw that has a bar oil tank. anywhere i put this thing has a small amount of oil seepage under it from the open part where the saw dust comes out. Am I missing an obvious chainsaw thing I should be doing to prevent this? I would assume bar oil is a universal thing so how do other chainsaws deal with this? The manual didn't seem to talk about it. Should I just shove a paper towel up there after every time I use it?

At least in my experience they all just slowly leak bar and chain oil all the time. I've never taken one apart to see how the oie gets to the bar/chain, but I don't think there's a valve that closes when the saw is off or anything.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hutla posted:

I have a kitchen table that's probably cheap rubber wood or something that the finish has gone soft and sticky on. Eventually I'll replace it, but until then, what is the best way to remove the current finish and what kind of paint should I use to redo it.

I don't care at all about keeping a wood finish, just about my arm not sticking to the tabletop anymore. I will have to do this an an apartment, so recommendations on fast drying or low fume products are great.

Try the things PainterofCrap suggested first, but if the finish has gone sticky, the finish is probably beyond repair and needs to be stripped. Unfortunately that's a huge mess that needs good ventilation and I would not recommend trying to do it indoors. If you can get it cleaned up to non-sticky, you can scuff sand/rough up/degloss the current finish and paint over it with whatever. Some flavor of enamel usually does best on furniture imo.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NotNut posted:

How reliable an indicator of effectiveness is the NRR rating on hearing protectors?

It’s an ANSI/OSHA thing so it is definitely regulated, but it’s not as simple as noise level-NRR. Someone good at science can probably explain better, but decibels are not a linear scale so the jump between 100db and 110db is much bigger/louder than the jump between 75db and 85db. This article seems good? https://www.coopersafety.com/earplugs-noise-reduction

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

neogeo0823 posted:

What the hell is the name of the fastener used in this pic? I understand it's a smooth shaft with a flat, low profile head, held in place with an external retaining ring, but for the life of me, I cannot find a proper name for the actual fastener when I google for it. The only results I can seem to dredge up imply that apparently every single one of these things is somehow custom engineered for its own specific purpose, but there's no way that can be true, right?
It's a pin. might have some other name since it has a head, but look around on mcmaster carr or wherever and you should be able to find similar.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sash! posted:

I know literally nothing about pressure treated lumber.

Code decrees that I must use pressure treated lumber for the bottom plate on my basement walls. Ok, makes sense. I was in the Lowe's earlier today buying something else and decided to wander over to the lumber for sticker shock purposes. I noticed that the tags for the pressure treated 2x4s said "not for ground contact" on them. All of the stuff that didn't have such tag was the 6x6s and such. Do I need to hunt down ground contact stuff or is pressure treated pressure treated for my purposes?
PT lumber has different amounts/concentrations of preservative in it. Some PT lumber has a lot more preservative and is rated for ground contact, some of it doesn’t have as much and is not rated for ground contact, but will hold up much better than untreated wood on a deck or whatever. Usually it will say on the sticker an abbreviation for the chemical used (CCA, ACQ, CUA) and a concentration.

I have no idea if your application counts as ground contact or not though. Usually at real lumberyard will have a bigger selection of GC rated PT lumber than a big box.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Crankit posted:

Sometimes I idly wonder what the cheapest form of livable building is, is it a timber A-frame, a geodesic dome, one of those concrete over inflatable form buildings? Curious about it from the material rather than labour cost.

Probably cob or rammed earth of some sort, but it depends a lot on what building materials are available locally as transport is a big part of the cost for low value-high bulk stuff

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We have floor vents that at the moment are only covered by basic metal grills that are easy to drop little objects through. From Googling the issue looks like getting some mesh screen might be a good solution, then to cut to size and attach with velcro tape. I wanted to check if that sounded like a good idea and wouldn't impede heat airflow.

If that's not an awful idea, is there a recommended type of mesh? Probably would also need a type of scissors to cut it. Thanks!

Dropping things into the floor air vents was an important part of my childhood and I beg you to reconsider.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’ve got a bathroom door that is just hellaciously ugly from a combination of old and chipped paint. Worse, it’s only like that on one side because some chucklefuck only painted half of it at some point in the past.

How bad would it be for me to just repaint the door after a quick wash and not bother stripping the existing poo poo off? I don’t need this to be some kind of forever fix where the paint outlives my children, but if I can kick the can down the road 2-3 years I’ll be happy.

At minimum you need to scrape any loose paint off, and clean it well with TSP or some other good cleaner/degreaser. For a little more work and a much better paint job, sand everything lightly with 150 or 220 to remove the gloss and give the new paint a little better bite. Then prime, 2 coats of paint, etc.

If the current paint is coming off in big chunks, your new paint job is gonna be bumpy unless you strip/sand all the old paint flat. It will still work fine, it just might not look great.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cyrano4747 posted:

Follow up question:

All in one paint+primer cans: I'm assuming they suck, because two in one things that let you skip a step inevitably suck, but how badly are we talking here?

This is just a dumb job that pretty much no one but me will see. It doesn't need to look great, but I'd like it to not be soul-crushingly awful.

Idk anything about paint+primer, but you can skip primer if it is already painted and just use regular paint.

Make sure whatever paint you are using is the same (oil or latex) as what is already on the door or else it will peel and chip over time. I can’t remember how to tell which is which and I have to google it every time.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Why do floor framing plans show the joist being 1" longer than I assume it should given the dimensions including the rim? Because 2 bys are slightly smaller than 2" wide?

Probably? If the plan gives the overall dimension and you are trying to subtract 4" (for 2 2x's) from that to get the length from inside face to inside face, then you will be off by 1" because 2x's are 1.5" thick so just subtract 3" from the OAL and you'll be right.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ok, I thought I'd heard/read somewhere that was the case. Does that mean a 2x4 is actually 1.5x3.5 and that applies to all 2x's (x6,8, etc)?
Nominal x6’s and smaller are a half inch narrower than nominal, x8’s and larger are 3/4” narrower than nominal. Nominal 2xs are all 1.5” thick, nominal 1x is 3/4” thick, and nominal 4x is 3.5” thick

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

surf rock posted:

I have a gorgeous old solid-bronze torchiere floorlamp that I bought a few years ago. It flickers like crazy, though. The cord, plug, and I'm guessing socket are all obviously decades old at least. I'd like to solve the flickering problem and eliminate the potential fire hazard. Is my best bet to just find a reputable antique shop in the area and bring it to them for repairs, assuming they offer them?

Probably not that hard to rewire yourself, but if you’re in much of a city there is almost certainly a lamp or antique store that can fix it. Look for places that sell a lot of chandeliers-they always know the crazy old electrician that fixes them if they aren’t working there already.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

H110Hawk posted:

Buy yourself a 100 pack of blades. Never use a dull blade again. (General advice.)

Razor blades make the best paint scrapers and so much more. Get the rectangle ones with the bent sheet metal on one edge not the trapezoid things that’ll slice you up. Don’t use holders they all suck just use your fingers (try not to cut yourself)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PainterofCrap posted:

Do we have a real estate thread? I'm looking to buy a building lot here in NJ. Aside from pulling a plat and walking it with the seller, what else do I need besides a couple hours with a real-estate lawyer to be sure there are no liens on it? There are no realtors involved. Yet.
Obviously money comes up in HCH alot too and there’s plenty of crossover and that’s great, but I think BFC is the best place to talk about buying property and all the legal/financial issues involved. There’s lots more legal and financial types over there.

Once you inevitably discover you’ve unwittingly purchased an unbuildable superfund site the Corps of Engineers considers wetlands that floods all winter and catches fire every summer when it’s not being lashed by hurricanes or eaten by termites, post here for commiseration and mitigation advice. We look forward to your thread about living in the back of a U-Haul as you try to figure out where things went wrong and where that second, grandfathered-in outhouse is going to go.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

H110Hawk posted:

That's your ceiling.
Lmbo

I too have been very confused by parts diagrams OP do not be too embarrassed

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We're buying a new house. It dates to 1931. It has no insulation. It's in a moderate climate, so we've decided we can manage. The dining room has a through-the-wall Thermador electric heater that dates at least to the 1950s by the look of it, and is possibly older. We certainly won't use it. What are good brands of wall-mounted electric heater for a replacement? Gas isn't an option, because the house has one tiny propane tank that powers a gas fireplace. I'm assuming (we have no building skills) we'd want to buy it, then hire somebody to patch the outside and inside walls before installing the new one.

Yes, we are putting in solar soon, because the only way to heat this house is with electric heaters. There is no ductwork for central heating, and there's no spare wallspace to put ductwork in.
Have you looked at mini-split systems? They can do heat and AC and don’t need ductwork, but they can be expensive (but also quite efficient)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wrapping the jaws with several layers of electrical tape works okay