Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't post here as much as I should. You cats are alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Someone gave me something called dragon egg cheese last year and it was stinky and amazing. Apparently it's unpredictable - can turn out many different ways.

I have some stilton in my fridge now. I love blue cheese with a touch of jam - rowanberry is the all time jam champion but pretty much any jam is good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BrianBoitano posted:

A+ video, B- for excluding Mise time from consideration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqHqX8xfYCs

Anyone want to try this?

I've done it a few times without filming it, but on my own constraints because I'm not going to rebuild my kitchen for this, and I think he understated the amount of mess he was making. Using 1 skillet, 1 pot, 1 stainless bowl, a whisk, a mesh scoop, and a butterknife I've gotten it down to about 8.5 minutes, with no preheating and no prep. That's from cold stove with all ingredients in the fridge (or bread box) to plating.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm here for it, to be honest

l call shenanigans. I can't see how it would be possible to take an oreo up to bacon crisping temperatures without liquifying the filling.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I might try that because idk if it's the different water in my new place or what but all of my boiled eggs in the last while have just been loving terrible tearout messes. For most purposes I've just been poaching them instead because it's less mess.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BrianBoitano posted:

Did your move also come with switching egg providers? Age of the eggs is a big deal with results!

A bit yeah. I'm going to a different grocery store now quite frequenty too, but I'm 100% on an entirely different water system now.

Croatoan posted:

It worked quite well. This was my first try at scotch eggs

Delicious

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So it’s been a poo poo year and the charcuterie thread has been inactive for almost 2 but i have been buying whole pigs recently (and a whole cow) and have started doing lots of salamis and other cured goodies.

These were finished up this year and consumed.

Guanciale!

Pancetta!

Lomo!

Braseola!

Tons of bacon of all flavors

Hot dogs!

A country ham (this took 18 months)

Multiple head cheeses

And I am currently working on multiple batches of fermented salami shown below fermenting. They should be done in 30-90 days

A strohlgino from the culatello I have curing right now

Something I call Six Reaper, seasoned with six different pepper powders including Carolina reaper

And a thicker chipotle garlic seasoned salami

Anyone else been working on any cured meats this crazy year?

Sigh. I'm so envious of all of this.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone have any thoughts on souffle? I never tried making one til this week, but youtube recommended this Pepin video to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xutqSiQri1g

noteworthy: JP doesn't separate his eggs or whip the whites

And that didn't look like a hassle so I gave it a shot and it was a hit, though I think for my household's tastes I'll be cooking it in individual dishes next time so that the interior is less moist. I've watched a couple more videos since then and looked at a few recipes and they all tend towards higher effort and more elaborate. But this afternoon I was reheating some leftovers and thinking about the 31 eggs I have in my fridge, and I got wonder why the souffle has to be made from bechamel at all, since the whole affair gets hot enough to cook the flour anyway. So I whipped an egg with roughly equal parts milk and a tablespoon of flour and some grated cheddar cheese I had already, threw it into a greased/floured custard dish and baked at 400F and 20 minutes later I had a lofty souffle.

Is it my imagination or is souffle really really loving easy, and one of those recipes where everyone complicates the ever living poo poo out of it?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What should I substitute for cognac in stuff like pate? I'm unlikely to ever have cognac.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Casu Marzu posted:

Do you have brandy? A fortified wine like sherry or port or something is nice too.

Not much of an alcohol house. I might get a bottle of brandy around though since I might have a few more uses for it in crepes and mince pies. I tried white wine this time in a duck liver pate because it was what I had at hand.

Going to make beef liver pate soonish.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

prayer group posted:

That white wine duck liver pate should be nice. White wine can definitely work in more delicately-flavored terrines like duck or pork, but for the beef one I think you'll want to pick up a bottle of brandy. Courvoisier or Hennessy will be more than satisfactory for that, and of course it'll be just fine sitting open at room temp if you're just cooking with it.

The duck liver pate with white wine was nice! Might go smear some on some saltines now, actually. That's my first pate, btw. Beef is next because I have an assload of beef liver that I got for free.

My SO gagged when I called it a meat milkshake and now I get it all to myself :smugdog:

In other trip report news it turns out that Canada goose breast is extremely tough and cannot be cooked alongside duck breasts. (I broke down some ducks today and that's where I got the liver)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dino. posted:

Do liquor stores by you not sell those single shot bottles? You could snag a small amount of whatever for a recipe.

I... that's a good idea too. I don't drink, at all, so the landscape of the liquor store is not in my brain. And my SO has a glass of wine or can of cider every two weeks or so, mostly supplied by gifts. I've been using the same bottle of spiced rum in desserts for years.

Of course that would require me to have a bit of planning beyond "ooohh hey they shoved two livers into each of these ducks I should make some pate...."

I'll message my buddy who works at the liquor store to see if they carry little bottles of brandy and/or cognac. I actually need to get in touch with him anyway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, a bottle of St-Rémy VSOP is like $14, and unless you like brandy manhattans as much as I do it'll keep for years. Or E&J XO if you prefer the American style vanilla-forward flavor to the more fruit leaning French style.

St Remy VSOP is exactly what I bought, and for something in that price range.

Defrosting some beef liver now

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Does soaking beef liver in milk actually take the edge off of the strong beef liver flavour? I'm making pate and I just want to dial that note back like 25%.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Happiness Commando posted:

I've never made fresh pasta before today. I followed a recipe which said to "add one tablespoon of water at a time while combining mixture, until desired consistency is achieved (moderately stiff dough)". I made a moderately stiff dough, rolled it out into fettucine-like noodles, and put it in saran wrap in the fridge for a few hours. Not tightly wrapped, but not loosely. When I took it out, it had compressed into a hockey puck. I suspect this is a combination of recipe, inexperience, and poor storage technique.

Ideally, I would like to make a large quantity of fresh pasta and portion it out and freeze it. What's the right way to do it?

the cool thing is that your hockey puck could just be rolled out and cut again.

My method for making home-made pasta is

3:2 flour to egg by weight, extra yolks if i have em
throw that into the robo coupe
dump that onto the counter, knead it up until it's all one ball
throw that into the fridge for a while
roll it through the pasta machine on 0, refolding it and rotating it, until it has the right texture (about 5-6 times)
roll it thin and cut it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is correct. I just use a regular food processor because I’m never buying a robot coupe.

robocoup, hobart, instant pot, hoover, kleenex etc. I don't even know what brand my robocoup is.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I. M. Gei posted:

yo can I ask a couple garden questions here?

I’m about to need to prune some fruit trees and I could use some tips on how to do it right, since google shows a ton of confusing and conflicting info. I can post photos of the trees I need to prune and y’all can tell me where to cut.

EDIT: I can do this over PMs too, so there’s no thread derail.

Post here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951612&pagenumber=5#lastpost

Put like 2x as many pictures as you were planning

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've yet to find a recipe that calls for mayo that hasn't been improved by substituting avocado, e.g. egg salad sandwich.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BrianBoitano posted:

avocado is one of the best fried foods ever

Vietnamese avocado shakes "Sinh tố bơ" are decadent

If you're doing a lot of meat, instead of marinades you can do a nice green avocado sauce on top. Doesn't have the blackening issue mentioned earlier.

I make avocado sauce all the time, and it works just as well with frozen avocado (it just turns out a bit rusty). Avocado chunks, water, some citrus, some salt, and something spicy. poo poo I'm literally eating some of it right now on a bowl full of leftover taco meat beans and rice.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bartolimu posted:

Yeah, hominy is just regular seed corn that expands due to the lye treatment. It's actually quite small when dried (barely larger than a popcorn kernel), but something happens to the starches that makes it swell up a lot more with water.

I've had a couple of pounds of dried hominy in the pantry for a while now. Maybe I'll get it out and make pozole or something this weekend.

pozole :slick:

I haven't had pozole in months.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I use my stand mixer for loving everything. Meatballs? Stand mixer. Egg whites? Stand mixer. Bread dough? Stand mixer. If it can fit and it takes effort in it goes.

Though I do pasta dough in the food processor and pastry or biscuits by hand.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mediaphage posted:

meatballs?????

Anything that's aggressively mixed meat gets done with the paddle - kofta, meatballs, meatloaf. Why would I get my hands all covered in ground meat residue when I can just dump stuff in and flip a switch and then throw everything in the dishwasher?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

drk posted:

are there any root vegetable fans here, I had a real good parsnip

:hai:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Democratic Pirate posted:

At the request of my wife, I made soufflés last night. They were delicious, but now I can’t stop thinking about how a handful of extra ingredients and tweaking some steps turns a cheese soufflé into a plate of biscuits and sausage gravy with cheesy scrambled eggs on the side.

runny cheese souffle with biscuits on the side and sausages is really good too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If I want to buy a new blender that's above poo poo tier, and/or buy once cry once, what brands should I be looking for?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

prayer group posted:

A Vitamix is gonna seem like way too much money to spend on a blender but they're built like tanks and will be inherited by your grandchildren.

Looking it up. It's for a gift, so I'm willing to spend way more than I usually would want to.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SubG posted:

Vitamix if you have the money, Ninja if you don't.

It looks like my budget is right at their overlap. Should i get the cheapest Vitamix or the most expensive Ninja?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Blendtec is more expensive than Vitamix from what I'm seeing available for me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

therattle posted:

I’m definitely thinking of a slow cooker. I already have a combination rice cooker/slow cooker; for space reasons a pressure cooker that was those things too would be handy. I see some Instant Pots are multi functional. Any good? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Instant pots are good. If I was put into a situation where I could only have one cooking implement with a single standard plug, an instant pot would be on the short list. Definitely top 3 for that scenario.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I only use the manual pressure cook function on mine and I imagine a lot of folks are like that. They all offer a bunch of other features so just decide what you think you’ll use it for. Then it’s just picking the size. I think mine’s a 6 quart and it’s been perfect for me but I don’t really know how to best select a size.

idk about sizes, but the sautee and slow cook functions are good too. I don't use any of the programmable poo poo just different versions of "get hot."

Some Chinese immigrant friends of mine simply bought two Instant Pots. They use one for rice exclusively.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I made that from that recipe for the first time last week and it was great even with quite a few herb/seasoning substitutions so can confirm is good

He also has a POV video of him making it on his youtube channel

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nobody knows what any Ethiopian dishes are besides just the identifiable bits in them. Get some of the red poo poo and the yellow poo poo, some of the lentils, some of the stuff with the meaty bits in it... I had some yellow stuff with eggs in it once that was good. The beets and cabbage are always good. Get both kinds of bread. Just say "gently caress me up with your best stuff."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Stir-fried pumpkin is a good ramen topping

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had udon with bonito flakes, a soft egg, and grilled pumpkin for supper.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Special ingredients that I save until they go bad is like my whole life

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My dad explained once that when he grew up veggies were either canned or from the garden, and then only what could be reliably grown in North Dakota. Out of season vegetables didn't exist for him then. So when they occasionally had fresh veggies, they were so used to canned that it was the texture they were used to. Nearly everything was eaten raw or in stew anyway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've started using back right a lot lately, but my cook top is on an island and I can reach that from the far side.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Carillon posted:

Is there a word or phrase for the residue that the dishwasher sometimes leaves on the plates and glasses? My partner can't smell it but sometimes I have to rinse or rewash a glass before drinking from it.

I saw some middle eastern people discussing this on twitter like two months ago. Apparently there are some turkish/arabic/farsi words for this smell and it's a meme that white people can't smell it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

feedmegin posted:

Over here in the UK we call giant zucchinis marrows, they're pretty traditional and mum would often do us roasted stuffed ones, so googling for recipes around that might be helpful. You can either scoop out the whole marrow (I take the cap off and use a long spoon to empty it out) or slice it into inch or two thick rings and stuff those with mince/rice. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/stuffed-marrow-bake for example.

From the gardening perspective I've picked up the habit of calling the plant "zucchini," the small ones "courgettes" and the big ones "marrows." I find it handy to have that distinction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Question for the thread that I'm trying to puzzle out:

I've tapped my own Manitoba Maple trees two years straight for syrup and I'm going to do it again this year. But, I'm trying to find some way to automate some of the sap cooking so that I can do chunks of it hands-off. Manitoba Maple sap requires 60:1 cooking to produce syrup. If I were to put say 4 litres of fresh sap in a typical rice cooker and let it run, how much liquid would be left in the rice cooker when the boiling point of the sugar solution gets high enough to trip the rice cooker's switch?

By the way if you haven't tried it, Manitoba Maple (aka Boxelder) syrup is the superior flavour.