Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

At the very least, you'll need to mix the clay half and half with organic matter in an area the size of a bushel basket around the rhododendron, and then it will still be in a 'pot' surrounded by water after each rain

My dad treats the North Carolina clay exactly as if he were preparing a potted plant. He'll dig (with a pick and mattock) to create a bowl the size of the plants eventual root system, then use a long drill bit to literally drill drainage holes through the bottom of the clay and back fill with heavily amended soil. You have to make the pot as big as it will be because you can't really "up-pot" something, and the clay is a completely impermeable barrier.

He's using Daikon radish to try and break up then self compost, but this is their second year there so we'll see if it does anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Is this Euonymus Japonicus?

I've never seen flower or fruit but I love it in that corner

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

Is this Euonymus Japonicus?

I've never seen flower or fruit but I love it in that corner

Anybody got a guess? ID app has it as "probably a box" of some sort

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I think I might have the only two healthy Bradford pears in the whole world:

They need a ton of thinning out and to be trimmed up a hair but they are huge and sturdy and won't even drop a twig in 50 knot wind. Unfortunately they do smell like poo poo and drop gross fruit but here's a neighbor's tree from that same windstorm:

It may help that they are original Bradford and not the hybridized Callery versions that grow wild but not much. I can't wait until I can tear them down and open the southeast side of my house to sunlight.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Fair, but I think the Bradfords are at the end of their expected life so I'm gonna need to pull em soonish

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

After today's hot spell and massive rainstorm, I think I can probably promise some really nice iris blooming pics tomorrow. Very excited to see these in action!

Meanwhile, these are cute, not sure what they're called but they're in one of my rock gardens:

Those are star-of-bethlehem and I love seeing them pop up!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks! I'll poke around some nurseries, that's a good thought. I was worried that might be a bit too broad to ask, but I'm basically looking for 6'ish tall and narrow plants and possibly shrubs. Oh, I'd also say it's about 60-40 shade/sun there

Are there any good YouTube channels for landscape design and horticulture? Eg this old house. Just trying to learn more and make good decisions.

I like Crime Pays But Botany Doesn't for entertainment value as well as an intense blizzard of knowledge. Heard about it in this very thread too.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Thanks to this thread I went to the home depots and picked up every decent echeveria I could find and a pot to stick them in with gritty mix:

Clockwise from top:
Echeveria subsessilis
Echeveria Hybrid 'Rico'
Echeveria Hybrid 'Sleepy'
Echeveria Hybrid 'Licorice'
Echeveria 'Artic Ice' PP29584

My wife got an echeveria a while ago that got super etiolated before it came into our care and died when we tried to repot without looking up info so this is like an apology. I brushed out all the roots I felt comfortable and kept a couple pups while clearing all the lovely petals. Question: will they fight for space in this situation?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Unless you got wood burning a hold in your pocket go with the wire shelves. Woods expensive nowadays, and if the shelves you were going to build are the ones I'm imagining the jank factor is the same either way

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Crosspost from the Costco thread:

Soul Dentist posted:

Went to church to pick up my colonoscopy prep and found incredibly cheap 5" succulents to sweeten the deal:

A 3 pack is 19 bucks and nobody gave me the stink eye for mixing and matching. They come in cute pots but the pots don't have holes in the bottom (until I get home). I'm repotting anyways

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Jhet posted:

Those are really neat looking. But your church sure has different services than I've ever seen if they do colonoscopy prep. $19 for those cute little pots without the plants is a good deal.

Lol that's a thread joke. PBUC

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Here's what I did with those Costco succccs:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Try tulips. I hear they're more stable

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah make them actually plant your tree. Take pictures and be prepared to be bewildered about what is supposed to be included in transplanting a tree. That's some bullshit

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Do you want stumps in the middle of your generic suburban arborvitae?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Join your local arboretum

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I've pulled my succulents but not my spiny yucca or potted chilies. Hoping for second summer like always happens here in Kentucky

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Help! My Christmas tree (decorated, in the house for two weeks) has a cinara aphid infestation. Is there something I can do that won't ruin the ornaments or (secondarily) the tree? I have neem oil, soap, sprayers, etc...

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Well I shook out like two hundred or so, vacuumed up and sprayed as much as I could with just Dawn and water. Update in the morning!

P.S. these fuckers look like halfway between a bedbug and a tick at first glance and there were so many:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Christmas tree update: removed ornaments and left to sit in the cold:

E:

Some festive yucca elephantipes instead

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 23, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Horticulture: Soiling Yourself Inside and Out

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I forgot if fruit tree poo poo goes in this thread or the Gardening thread.

gently caress it, I'll crosspost it here anyway. Please tell me how to keep squirrels from stealing my peaches.

My peach trees set their first fruits last year, but only one single peach (between two trees) stayed on the branch long enough to fully ripen, and it loving vanished right before I got to pick it. :argh: This year both trees are putting out a lot more fruits and I wanna keep em all from getting stoled by fuckin rodents or whatever the gently caress else steals peaches so I can actually eat one of them this time.

How do I protect my fuckin peaches?

You don't follow advice super well so I'll follow you here to say again:

mischief posted:

Choose violence. I'm perfectly happy with all kinds of critters on our property but the little bushy tailed assholes get the dirt nap.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
They're better than roses on your piano no matter where you put them!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's some saturation

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Another ID question!

I got some free plants from a swap about a month ago that were just labeled "daylily." The foliage and bulbs looked like it to me, but one just bloomed and it looks like none I've seen:

The clusters of blooms still look like a daylily, but the ID app says it's spiderwort. Any ideas?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah leaves and flowers definitely look like a tradescantia of some sort. There are a gazillion of them and they are pretty weedy around here. Is it a rogue spiderwort that happed to be chilling out in the middle of a clump of daylilies?

There is a good chance the goober who put a five gallon bucket full of "daylilies" on the ground at a plant swap at this upcycling hobby shop had absolutely no idea what they were. It's pretty and most of them didn't survive because I had to wait out a frost with them in the bucket. I'll probably see what pops up next spring and interplant lilies or irises that I buy myself. It's on the easement anyways so there's no high hopes

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ugh on Hosta Day of all days too

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah if I even brush the poppy seeds off a bagel into a prepared bed they'll germinate, but I've never tried to transplant them

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Tyvm! I asked the genocide garden thread and they ignored me to discuss illegal insecticides and anti-chipmunk traps/missile weapons

:jerkbag:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

Another ID question!

I got some free plants from a swap about a month ago that were just labeled "daylily." The foliage and bulbs looked like it to me, but one just bloomed and it looks like none I've seen:

The clusters of blooms still look like a daylily, but the ID app says it's spiderwort. Any ideas?

Turns out I've got some really nice daylilies in the back yard already that could use some splitting. They are on the shady side of a fence so they popped up really late:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Get moldy, probably

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It does not(!) like being transplanted once it's established a tap root though

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I mean, three hundred years from now it might start to get nice

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I planted some hostas this weekend, along with a camellia (Kramer Supreme) and a mountain Laurel (Olympic Fire):

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That kind of spiny yucca doesn't do well in 7b. You could just cram the new piece in the base of the old pot and start lower layers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

kid sinister posted:

There's a reason an alternate name for them is "mother in law's tongue".

The reason is they are sharp/pointed