Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

I'd like to share a little experiment with the thread.
I had read how christmas cactus grows on other plants in rain forests, so I wondered if I could get one to grow on some mossy sticks?

I tied some moss from the back yard onto some thin fir branches, and tied some leaves from a cactus on with them, and crammed a couple in a bottle. It has been sitting on the kitchen window sill (North facing) for a while now, and it hasn't all died yet!
Interesting! I have more Christmas cactus than I know what to do with, so I enjoyed seeing this different treatment. Gives me ideas. (This is dangerous.)

I had posted earlier about the two nearly-12-year-old cactus plants I inherited from my beloved late grandmother. One was pretty rotted, but I took a ton of cuttings, and many are successfully rooting and growing. I repot those three at a time once they start to look like something. I put the healthier of the two OG plants into its own pot, at which point it promptly put out all kinds of new segments off its very oldest growth, right at the soil line. It's happy. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

Nice to hear. Grandma's treasured houseplants have to be right up there with Grandpa's treasured guns in high sentimental value inheritance.
These aren't that kind of heirloom--just a potted plant she received on her last Christmas (from her daughter across the country) about a month before she passed away. She had a crazy green thumb, though, and it skipped right over my mom and showed up in me. I'm glad to be doing her memory proud with all the little beauties I'm tending.
Ugh, gently caress, I need something like this in my house! MORE PLANTS

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

Now that I finished my shelves and I have somewhere to put them with appropriate light I've finally been picking up some of the succulents I've been wanting for a while. I always take pictures when I get in a new plant so I can keep track of how it's doing and this thread is light on pictures in the winter so here's some new arrivals. Some of them are looking a little disheveled from living in a dark box for longer than expected—USPS is really poo poo lately.
I'm not a succulents person, but I really like the way you've potted all of these. It's pleasingly uniform and really attractive.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I got another dracaena to replace the one I overwatered, I put it in my 10" planter but the plastic planter it came in is 1" taller than my planter, so it sticks out and looks weird. Should I just remove the top 1" of the plastic "pot?" Or should I just "transplant" (lol) the plant into the 10" planter? I have zero plant skills, I only have indoor ones that you only need to water once a month.

As long as there are drainage holes in the bottom of your planter (and it looks like there should be), pop that sucker out and put it directly into the planter.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Is doing this easy for someone who completely sucks at plants? just dig it out and stick it in?
That's it! :) From the looks of it, you can literally (carefully) pull the plant and all its soil out in one pot-shaped lump. Stick that in the new planter and you're done.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Generally if the outside planter has drainage holes, you can put the plant and dirt directly into that planter. Otherwise, the outside planter is really a cachepot that serves to pretty up the ugly plastic container your plant came in. That's fine, too; I have a pothos and a wandering Jew set up like this, both in dumpy plastic containers with holes on the bottom. I remove the inner containers for watering and draining, then put them back in their nice cachepots.

actionjackson posted:

one sansavieria that is in the plastic pot, but it fits very snugly inside a nice dark brown pot and at the exact same height. So I don't really want to mess with this one as it's been going strong for several years.
If it's happy where it is, sure, leave it there. I'd remove the plastic pot for watering/draining, but then you can put it right back into the dark brown outer pot.

actionjackson posted:

another smaller sansavieria in a white pot that does not have drainage. Per a recommendation of someone who is very knowledgeable in this area, I put some rocks on the bottom of the white pot, and then just set the plant in it's little plastic planter on top (and some rocks are on the sides to hold it in place). It's still low in the pot enough that the plastic planter isn't visible unless you are right above it.
This sounds okay to me, too. My wandering Jew plant is set up just like this. It's still a good idea to remove the inner pot for watering, but the rocks will take care of any lingering drips.

actionjackson posted:

one zanzibar which is in a plastic planter, and is then inside a pot that has this plastic drainage thing on the bottom - it's a black circular piece with holes in it, so I think the water just does down there and then evaporates. there's no external drainage. I think for this one I could transplant it?
It sounds like it!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

actionjackson posted:

For the zanzibar, if I transplant it, I assume I should add some new soil to get it to whatever my desired height is?

Nice plant! Yes, add some soil to the bottom of the pot first so the plant will sit higher up. It might take some trial and error, but it's not difficult and your plant will be fine however it turns out. And for smaller plantings like this, I use, like, clean yogurt cups to move dirt and a regular old spoon for finer work--no fancy tools needed. You've got this.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I did it! It was very easy. I assume the root structure will grow into the new soil below it.
Excellent! :hfive: Most plant roots appreciate the wiggle room, so your plant will be happier overall.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I'm not sure what they are called, but is there something I can put at the bottom of a planter that allows drainage? For example in one of my other pots, there is this black piece of plastic at the bottom with some holes on the top that the water goes into. It would be nice to be able to buy just that piece.
Hmm, I can picture something like that--the built-in drainage insert, but sold separately--but I can't immediately find it.

Amazon has these: https://www.amazon.com/Drain-Smart-6-Disc-5-pack/dp/B00BLV9UFS/
and these: https://www.amazon.com/PotHoles-Drainage-Discs-Small-pack/dp/B00104EFJW/

I can't vouch for either of them, though they look like they should do the trick. But you should still have a hole in the bottom of the container that's holding your plant, or water/moisture can build up and contribute to root rot.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

actionjackson posted:

thanks, that's similar. I am wondering with this pot if I actually need to keep the plant in it's plastic container, because if I transplanted it, there's nothing to stop the soil and roots from going into the drainage basin.

Here's a picture of the bottom of it. there is no hole on the bottom of the planter itself. I think it is meant to be used with a plant that's in a separate plant container, similar to how I use rocks on the bottom of the planter for my other small one.

You're meant to put the plant right in there, dirt and all. It shouldn't be a problem as far as soil and roots go, but you can always tuck a coffee filter (this kind) into the bottom of any pot before you fill it with soil and plant(s)--it'll keep everything in while letting excess water drain out. It works for pots with one big hole, drainage thingies like this, and everything in between.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

I don't really like the semi-paper ones/coffee-filter ones like the first ones you linked very much as I don't trust them to remain permeable over time based on past experience. I've been making my way through a package of these ones which work well and aren't super expensive.
Nice! Thanks for the tip. I inherited a stack of filters from my grandma and started using them in a pinch, but these definitely look better in the long run. (A strategically placed pottery shard or perfectly sized stone can do the trick, too.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Is it feasible to grow one of these beautiful vines on a container trellis in 6a? I'd be happy to bring it in at the end of the season.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My Stachyurus praecox catkin tree seems to have made it through the winter! Its little nubbins are starting to stretch into buds. :woop: I admit I expected it to wake up a little earlier; the neighborhood's forsythia is in full bloom and the stray daffodils planted at our foundation are starting to fade. But I'm glad our new baby tree is alive. :)

Meanwhile, I'm trying to nurse a messed-up aloe vera back to health. It was a pup from a "we need extra TLC" bargain-table plant purchased, oh, nearly 15 years ago. Other pups are happy as anything, as is the original plant: tall, green, and fleshy. This one, though, was a gift to my mom, and I suspect she overwatered it. It had started to get stemmy at the base, so I trimmed it down and put it in nice fresh succulent soil as I had successfully done for its parent, but Mom eventually gave it back to me yellow overall and wrinkled at some of the outer tips. The blades (?) growing from the center are firm and fleshy, though still yellow. :( I repotted it (everything looks fine below the surface, no rot) and have put it in my sunniest window with the occasional liquid fertilizer and only enough water (very very little) to wash it down. What else can I do?

Thankfully, my other succulents are doing better: my oldest Christmas cactus has new growth on every tip, and the pup that had put out blooms at Thanksgiving is blooming again. It just makes me want to buy a poo poo-ton more plants, especially for that sunny sill--most of what I have prefers indirect light or less.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

We live in a very shady spot zone 6b. I’ve tried to put grass seed down so many times, but it’s too shady. All we can seem to grow is moss. That would be fine except moss gets so easily kicked up leaving bare dirt patches everywhere. We also have a toddler who will be making this situation worse soon.
:(:hf::( Every year we tell our fertilizer company to lay off the preemergent spray because we have to seed the thin patches in our very shady north-facing 6A front lawn, and every year they spray anyway. We've tried to get rid of the moss that grows in the patches and in our planting beds, but it comes right back. We've even resodded our lawn with something we were told would be better in the shade, but it wasn't (so I don't have a recommendation for you, I'm afraid).

We're thinking about bumping our beds out a little more into the shadiest parts of the lawn and filling them with pachysandra, which is growing beautifully in deep shade at our library a half-mile down the road. Since it's not a grass analogue or soft like thyme (which I do love in containers), though, it wouldn't really provide your little one with a "grassy" area to play. And it can get expensive if you have a lot of space to fill.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

I saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHRgY8fZNv4 the other day, and thought of your adventures spreading mycelium!
Can anyone tell me what this youtuber's accent and/or dialect is? Certainly a local/regional USA English of some kind, but I'm unfamiliar with most.
The channel's About page describes him as a "Misanthropic Chicago Italian". :)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Araucaria heterophylla, the Norfolk Island pine.
I love these things! They don't/can't grow natively here in Michigan, but spotting a big 'un in the wild always gives me a giant mood boost.

They're one of my favorite things about visiting NZ, and you can tell my in-laws I said so. :colbert:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

Also got a deal on a sweet variegated Polygonatum but that wasn't at the despot (the Trilium I found in the woods, don't tell no one). (Also the buxus were already here when I bought the place, I just moved them; don't judge me.)

Nice Polygonatum! Ours is about where yours is, having bought it a couple years back. Nice to see a pretty perennial that will flower even a little in dead shade. I hope ours spreads!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I do a ton of propagation at home with cuttings and stuff, and I'd like to pick up some rooting hormone to help the process along. (I don't know why I don't already have some.) Any suggested brands?

On a similar note, are there any good fertilizers specifically (or incidentally) good for plants rooting/growing in water? I usually put cuttings of, say, pothos or inchplant in water until they put out roots, then plant them in soil. Sometimes they stay in there a while: I have a bottle of pothos cuttings growing quite happily in water, waiting for me to get off my rear end and pot them. Is a squirt of Miracle-Gro liquid houseplant fertilizer in the water good/enough to feed them a little, or is there a better product I can toss into my Amazon cart while I'm at it?

Unrelated: I've lost so many of my outdoor plants this year. A combination of too much rain and drastic temperature fluctuations has killed otherwise reliable plants like ornamental oregano (which I adore), annual phlox, torenia... I have to get out there and replace a couple of them (again) to fill in the holes in my planters. :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

I've found the liquid stuff to work better than the powder form but I haven't tried such a wide variety that that couldn't just be down to the brands. I'm currently using CloneX which seems to work fine.
Thanks for the recommendation. I picked up a tiny bottle of CloneX, which isn't cheap, but I understand you need very little per plant and it last years and years, especially in the fridge. I also picked up a whopping 100 of those mesh circles you recommended earlier in the thread for better drainage than a coffee filter, so I'm going to be extremely busy with my plants this weekend! (My houseplants, anyway.)

B33rChiller posted:

I can't speak to any brands of IBA, but I have experience with keeping cuttings going for a long while in water. Handy little thing you can do, if you've got the bits lying around is put an air stone in the water, hooked up to an aquarium air pump. It might not be worth buying just for this purpose, but aerating the water really helps keep the roots from rotting, and cuts down on how often you need to change the water out. I've used aquarium fertilizer, general purpose houseplant liquid fertilizer, and fish bioload at various times for pothos and m. deliciosa. It all seemed to work well.
Ooh, this is very tempting. I don't have an air stone on hand, but I bet I could make a really nice water planting with one sometime down the road. And your mention of fish bioload reminded me that I have liquid "compost tea" from our red wigglers that would probably be a nice addition to any water propagation setups/longer-term water plantings. Thanks!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A frosting of mold on my pothos soil, ugggh :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Once upon a time, a lovely goon in this very thread sent me two voodoo lily bulbs from their burgeoning collection. Three and a half years later, I see why they felt the need to thin the ranks.

The two biggest ones are original. The other 17 came later. At the start of this season, I put the two biggest in their own pots, or so I thought; I planted one, two, or three bulbs in each of the other, smaller pots. I don't think there's a single pot that didn't wind up with at least one surprise bonus plant.

One day I'll share the wealth and pay it forward and all that, but I'm not feeling overwhelmed just yet! I dig this little tropical-ish corner of my yard.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

smax posted:

In this case I think it’s tradescantia pallida. I feel a little dirty writing “wandering Jew” so many times and I don’t know why it’s called that name in the first place, so from here out I’ll just use t. pallida.
Some folks think it honors the steadfastness of the Jewish people wandering the desert, as reflected in the plant's hardiness and growth habit, but apparently it's named after a guy who taunted Jesus on the way to the crucifixion and was doomed to wander the earth without rest until the Second Coming. I've started using "inchplant". (Mine are only ever confined to containers, where they do well without going crazy.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My son bought me a tiny fairy-garden kalanchoe several years ago. It petered out pretty quickly, but over the years, I ended up propagating it into a whole bunch of separate stems that I planted all together in a shallower pot meant for bonsai (see top picture: plants growing toward the sun). When they get leggy (see bottom picture: back view of same plants), I trim them down, root them in water, amend the soil, and plant them back in the same container to start the process over again.

They're at a point now where I'd start the cutting/replanting process. They've only rarely if ever branched, never budded; they just keep getting taller and growing more leaves at the very tips. They're generally happy, pest- and disease-free, and easy to care for.

Am I being too hasty when cutting them down? If I just let them keep on doing their thing (possibly with a cunning little ribbon around the lot to help keep them upright), will they eventually become more like a kalanchoe at your average garden center? Or is this all they are now, and is cutting/replanting to maintain this container of foliage about the best I can hope for?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Possibly showing my rear end here but: Wouldn't pruning the tops promote new nodes to grow? I would think that would help fill it out, perhaps?
Good point--thanks! I've never really had a houseplant I've needed to prune, so it didn't enter my mind. Googling "propagating kalanchoe" (or "leggy kalanchoe") gives many hits for "cut off bits, put in soil, wait," but nothing beyond that.

Wallet posted:

There are a lot of cultivars and hybrids and poo poo so it's hard to really say without knowing what it actually is, but there's only one way to find out. The leaves seem small for blossfeldiana but then again if it's always stretching out and they're never getting much bigger I would suspect that it's just not getting enough light. Is it in a southern window?
It's on my western windowsill, the best spot for my sunny houseplants. I do expect it's K. blossfeldiana based on what I've seen at that same nursery; given that it was originally sold as a very tiny version, though (we're talking a 2" pot, tops), maybe it's a mini cultivar? I remember the flowers were orange, and I know it has never budded pups off any leaves.

Man, some of these drippy flowering varietals I'm seeing online are gorgeous! I had no idea they even existed.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

angerbeet posted:

I posted about it earlier in this thread but I love my Pilea peperomioides, it's growing like stink, making babies, and all of that in spite of my genetic black thumb, just with basic care and a north facing window. It's cheap and cheerful but I'm cheap and could use some cheer so it's an A+ from me, a houseplant murderer.
I'm still salty that mine ate poo poo and died very soon after purchase, in spite of my genetic green thumb. :( So YMMV, but if your intended recipient is not actively hostile to houseplants, it's worth a shot.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I put mine in coir basically on a whim and it's still doing fine many years later.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I picked up a little cyclamen this summer and it's been going like gangbusters. After its initial forced bloom, it took a brief break and is full bloom yet again with at least twenty flowers--just when I was preparing to put it into a bigger pot. I give it a little water when it droops and it perks right up, happy as a clam.

Emboldened and charmed by this first plant, I bought another cyclamen variety at Trader Joe's whose petals are more explicitly down-facing. It got droopy, so I watered it...and it stayed droopy. That's when I discovered cyclamens droop when they are underwatered AND overwatered. Piss.

The only thing I could do, apparently, was repot it, so I extricated the central root mass from the practically dripping-wet soil, literally squeezed them like a drat towel, and repotted it in fresh dry soil. But it didn't work; it now looks like a plant abandoned over a long vacation, with some crispy leaves, some listless floppy leaves, and just generally looking extremely unhappy. :negative: Maybe I jinxed it by saying "Man, I do NOT need this plant, but I really like it. What the hell!" when I tossed it into my cart.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

For all their foibles plants are remarkably resilient, and they'll do their damndest to recover as long as you can stabilize them enough that they aren't actively dying but damage that occurs over a period of days can take years to repair. I have a Haworthia attenuata I got in January of 2020 that had almost immediate root rot issues and just sat there like a lump for nearly two years until last month it started pushing out new growth.
Exactly, which is why I'm loath to chuck this one even though it looks really bad. Like, really really bad. Maybe I can find somewhere else for it to recover in relative private.

Wallet posted:

It's like an $8 supermarket plant so I guess it would have been smarter to just buy a new one.
Yeah...this, too. :sigh:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Does anyone know how to get a frost alert emailed or texted to me?

I inherited a bunch of staghorn ferns and they're doing well, but I don't think would survive a freeze.
I use IFTTT; there's a handful of existing alerts that work with Weather Underground to text you when the temperature dips below a certain point. I use this one:

https://ifttt.com/applets/QW7AeMh8-frost-alert-via-ios

I don't know what makes it "iOS"; it works great on my Android phone. :iiam:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

On a slightly on-topic tangent, can anyone recommend a favorite wall planter or wall shelf that will support a smallish plant? I can fit something up to ten inches wide on the wall over the toilet for a plant that will get humidity from the shower and lovely east-window light. I found a watertight wall planter meant for, well, planting, but it's cheap plastic and it scares me a little. Besides, it has a clear front panel, and I'm not sure I mostly want to see dirt.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Anyone have tips on growing a voodoo lily in colder zones? I’m in 6b. Was planning to plant it outside and dig it up in the fall.
I'm in 6b, too; I figure if you dig it up in the fall, you should be fine. I put mine in containers that go outside in the spring and come inside at frost...but I forgot to bring in one of my biggest original plants. :ohdear:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The high here is 70 today and looking at my poor dead yard is killing me. But I've lived in Michigan all my life, and I know it's about a month and a half too early to do anything out there and expect it to survive. Heck, the temps will be back in the low 50s tomorrow.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

It rained all day yesterday but it was clear enough today to prune back my ornamental grasses (my least favorite spring chore).
How do you do it? We have a handful of ornamental grasses that we've just been letting go and never pruning, but I think they're starting to suffer for it. I'm happy to hear that spring is not too late to trim off the old stuff.

e: It's Karl Foerster grass, if that makes any difference.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

Spring is the time to do it; the dead stuff provides a bit of insulation for the plant over winter. For hopefully obvious reasons you want to do it before the grass starts putting up new shoots for the year.
Belated thanks for the tips on trimming back ornamental grass. Ours seems none the worse for the significant haircut, and our lawn now looks a little better where the grasses had been prostrate for months.

I was getting all geared up for spring, what with the daffodils popping and the forsythia starting to bloom! Then it started snowing. :negative:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

i am harry posted:

Can anyone help me identify this? Looks sort of like elm leaves

The PlantNet app suggests Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia), if it's tree-y.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Are there any good outdoor light meters out there? I'm thinking about pulling out a big juniper that got crushed by a work crew in favor of a nifty native shrub, but I'm worried the area doesn't get enough sun. I'm picturing one that sits outside for x amount of time before telling you what's up. No pH meter, etc. needed.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I dunno but you should turn that juniper into a bonsai
It looks healthy enough, but whatever the work crew dropped on it made it splay hard from the center. It looks like a sprawling pompon topiary. We might try gathering it back together with a cord or something, but there's a lot of dead poo poo beneath. :(

We shouldn't have junipers in the first place. There's some kind of leaf rot that affects crabapples that uses juniper as its host. Super glad our (known good) landscaper drew up a plan that had us planting both together. We didn't know any better back then.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Meaty Ore posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a shrub, preferably flowering, that would do well in partial shade and can tolerate poorly-draining, mostly heavy clay soil? I tried a rhododendron in that spot and got a couple of years out of it before it got root-bound and died. I'm in northern Indiana, zone 6A if that affects things.
We got many good years out of our azaleas in 6B partial shade (now almost total as our ornamental trees have shot up); they're still going strong, albeit looking a little spindlier than they have in the past. But that's technically a rhodo, so if you've had bad luck with one...

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ohhyeah posted:

Buttonbush - cephalanthus occidentalis
Ooh, I saw these in a local (like, practically across the street) arboretum last fall and have been trying to fit them into my yard ever since. Nice cross-season interest, and it's good into partial shade. This is, in fact, what I wanted to put where the crushed juniper is (but I think it's too shady there).

My husband and son gave me a young Key lime tree for Mother's Day. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is probably more of a landscaping question, but I've been redoing the front of the house and there's a big blank section of dirt about 3.5-4' wide and ~5' long I'd really like to plant an ornamental tree in:

I'm looking at Eastern Redbud or Kwanzan Cherry trees. I went to a local garden center and they have both in stock. This particular spot gets morning shade and afternoon sun.

Is there much of a difference in the way of hardiness between the two species?

With such a small spot, what would you think is the largest diameter transplant that would be successful there? The local garden center has everything from 1"-3" diameter trunks.
My parents planted a Kwanzan in our north-facing backyard when I was a kid; it probably reached the roof of our quad-level before it rotted from the inside maybe...thirty years later? But that trunk got HUGE, which could be an issue in that space.

There's a lot of redbud around here, too, which I like very much. That seems to have more branches that are much smaller on average. Our neighbors have one in their south-facing yard that's happy as a clam. Both trees seem to have no problem in 6A/B weather.