Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'd like to share a little experiment with the thread.
I had read how christmas cactus grows on other plants in rain forests, so I wondered if I could get one to grow on some mossy sticks?

I tied some moss from the back yard onto some thin fir branches, and tied some leaves from a cactus on with them, and crammed a couple in a bottle. It has been sitting on the kitchen window sill (North facing) for a while now, and it hasn't all died yet!

Check out these root hairs!

and the moss seems to be doing well too

In other news, can anyone help me determine if this is aloe or agave?

I was thinking agave, but when I finally managed to snap one of the leaves open, it's just gel inside. the gel smells just like aloe (not the stuff in the bottle, actual aloe plant) gel.
Bonus monstera veins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

Cool granny cactus anecdote
Nice to hear. Grandma's treasured houseplants have to be right up there with Grandpa's treasured guns in high sentimental value inheritance.

I was inspired by wondering how I might get the humidity up around the plant without having to spray all the time (or increasing the humidity in the house to levels we aren't prepared to deal with) I noticed the old bottle just gathering dust, and the lightbulb came on.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Might have to think bigger. Ready to build that (all glass) addition? Probably for the best if you design it to handle a lot of water from the start.
I've dreamt of having something like that ever since being stuck in Edmonton for a winter. With all the cold, dry air, my skin and sinuses were becoming completely desiccated.
But, I found a place where just visiting could make me feel better all over. The tropical pyramid at the Muttart conservatory. Nice warm and moist air. lovely plants, ahhhhhhhh...

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

We have the same restrictions on deer in BC. No hunting by any means within 100m of a dwelling. The legal means of dispatching a deer around here also endanger nearby people, so there is no safe and legal way to off the critters at home.
About a decade ago one of the small cities here floated the idea of a limited exception for bow hunting/culling within city limits. Someone wrote in to the paper saying "That's all well and fine for the bow hunters, but what about us apple and hammer hunters?"

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

holy poo poo wash your hands after repotting euphorbias

my god

I got like a microscopic amount of sap in my eye last night

worst loving night ever, now I'm still super sore and light sensitive, but I'm gonna be ok

I gotta go get an eyepatch before my zoom meeting tho

Wow. Thanks for the tip. I had no idea. Same goes for the sap of ficus and monstera, in case anyone is unaware. Any time I've had the sap hit my skin it would burn if not washed off pretty quickly.

relatedly, my younger brother has a strange allergy to aloe. Any time he gets a bit on his skin, it starts burning like crazy, and gets super red inflamed. I've seen him test a new sunscreen with a little touch on the back of his hand, and he was running to the sink hollering within 5 seconds. He showed me his hand after, and he had a bright red raised circle where he got it on him. "Yep, it has aloe in it" (he's a dumbass and the ingredients listed "aloe barbadensis". If he took a second to read, he could save a lot of pain)

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 13, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Crusader posted:

i enjoyed the comments as a new plant caretaker

speaking of, i'm starting with a pothos because last time i tried raising a plant, it was a fern and died very quickly

it's grown a new leaf!

my ambition is transfer cuttings to new pots and just overgrow my apartment with the devil's ivy, but i dunno how realistic that is

I highly recommend spider plants for rapid propagation, and super duper hardiness too. They don't handle frost or sitting out in the direct sun too well, but they handle soggy roots and oops I forgot to water them for 2weeks to a month (once established). They also just send out runners that develop baby plants. You just pin down the baby to a new starter pot, and let it grow roots before cutting it off the mother plant, or let it chill, hanging out on the runner. It will eventually develop a bunch of aerial roots, and start storing water in them. At that point, you can just cut it off the mother, and stick it in some soil somewhere, and bammo, new plant. I bought one in 2005, and after giving away as many as I can to as many people as will take them, I still have several dozen. You in Canada? I'll trade you some baby spider plants for some pothos cuttings in the spring. Or just send you some. Could even mail you a monstera deliciosa cutting then too. (offer good for anyone in Canada who wants to swap cuttings or has a hankerin' for variegated spider plants. Drop me a reply or pm.)

Also:

BWahahahahaha! That's great. Thanks for sharing.

Alexandra Anele (the video creator's sister, who also does YT vids) in the comments posted:

My plants are killin it, who are you even

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 23, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Got some new start spider plants, Xmas cactus cuttings, and some various moss I wanted to try keeping in high humidity, and wanted to lift the humidity in my cave during chilly weather. I set this up with an ultrasonic humidifier to experiment

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm starting to dabble a bit in aquatic plants, and I keep seeing a lot lower times suggested. As low as 6 hours/day, and the longest I've heard is 12. Must be something to do with algae control I guess.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

mediaphage posted:

speaking of pothos and water culturing this was supposed to be temporary but it likes it so much it just became a thing

Is that a..... CHALLENGE?

I like what you've got there! Similar setup here, but with bonus algae. Getting the new home ready for some otocinclus catfish, and maybe cherry shrimp.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I agree that the concept of gluing plastic garbage to plants is a terrible thing. Get an artificial Christmas tree, and go buck wild if that's your thing, but don't mess up a living individual.

I'm going to cross post this link here and in the aquarium thread, I just stumbled across the 20th Anniversary Aquatic Gardeners Association International Aquascaping Contest results.

It has some amazing plant photography, and I dig it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

4 looks like it could be lilac also

edit: never mind, I don't know what I'm talking about

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Remember when I started up a humidity dome experiment? Here's some photos and a little vid from yesterday to show some progress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSOPLA1FyqY

And here's some extremely high humidity plants I've got started

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

love the power strip clamped vertical pincer-style directly over the aquarium, that’s a real pro-tier aquarist move if ever I’ve seen one

Get fewer drips in it and subsequent gfci trips this way.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Tulip shoots are up, crocus blooms are out, and the bunnies haven't touched a single one! Makeshift chicken wire fence ftw!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

{Chillernote: I snipped out a bunch for brevity's sake}
I like her channel, but her brand is literally “Brooklyn chicken keeper” and it’s hard not to go a little :rolleyes: sometimes.

It is fun to see how many plant tubers have, like, legit scary numbers of plants (like 300+ in a shared apartment, etc) and the subtle subculture of plant flexing online. Makes me feel normal.

I also enjoy SRO's channel, especially when she visits houses that have big solariums or are designed to act as greenhouses. It's pretty sad that a lot of the really nice places she visits, the residents are often so busy with other things, that they say they don't have any time with the plants, pay someone else to water them, or are just never around. They got the moneys for the nice stuff, but not time to enjoy it.

Regarding the subtle culture of plant flexing, to me at least, this forum flexes harder than most of the YTs I've seen. Some of you goons' collections / knowledge are downright intimidating!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm conflicted. On one hand, the photos of euphorbias and cacti I see in here look really cool. On the other hand, I think I might be done with plants that can cause me pain if I touch them the wrong way. I'm fairly clumsy, and the rest of my family tends to be less careful and gentle in their moment to moment movements (to be expected in kids). I don't think I'll get another rubber plant either. Sap burns suck.

ETA, who wants this heavily spiked aloe? just come take it. I don't have the heart to harvest it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

You make a lot of good points, and I was mostly just idly musing in the early morning. Sorry if I'm riling yah up, instigating an effort post.

I had not considered spineless / crested euphorbias. That might be something to keep an eye out for.
Honestly, I and my daughter probably accidentally touch the plants far too often.

Landscape plants around here need to be able to handle dropping (not too far) below freezing for fairly extended periods, and a handful of days of snow cover. That kind of limits the succulent selections. Oh, and I live in a rain forest, so moisture may be an issue for many varieties.

I do have a couple varieties of jades, and some of the xmas cacti are blooming again right now!

ETA wow, spekboom looks rad.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 3, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

About the only good thing lawn does for me is provide a small area during a small time window that I can walk barefoot comfortably. Narrow time frame, because it's only lush and green during warm temperatures for a short time before it dries out and gets "pokey" on the feet. The yarrow patches in the lawn stay green and soft far longer than the grass.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Jestery posted:

I have recently come into some large bins and am wondering if I might have more success with mushroom fruiting in a slightly more controlled environment

What would be the best way to turn these into mushroom fruiting chambers?

I figure hole drilling and hay may be involved

I saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHRgY8fZNv4 the other day, and thought of your adventures spreading mycelium!
Can anyone tell me what this youtuber's accent and/or dialect is? Certainly a local/regional USA English of some kind, but I'm unfamiliar with most.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

The channel's About page describes him as a "Misanthropic Chicago Italian". :)

d'oh. thanks

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

I do a ton of propagation at home with cuttings and stuff, and I'd like to pick up some rooting hormone to help the process along. (I don't know why I don't already have some.) Any suggested brands?

On a similar note, are there any good fertilizers specifically (or incidentally) good for plants rooting/growing in water? I usually put cuttings of, say, pothos or inchplant in water until they put out roots, then plant them in soil. Sometimes they stay in there a while: I have a bottle of pothos cuttings growing quite happily in water, waiting for me to get off my rear end and pot them. Is a squirt of Miracle-Gro liquid houseplant fertilizer in the water good/enough to feed them a little, or is there a better product I can toss into my Amazon cart while I'm at it?

I can't speak to any brands of IBA, but I have experience with keeping cuttings going for a long while in water. Handy little thing you can do, if you've got the bits lying around is put an air stone in the water, hooked up to an aquarium air pump. It might not be worth buying just for this purpose, but aerating the water really helps keep the roots from rotting, and cuts down on how often you need to change the water out. I've used aquarium fertilizer, general purpose houseplant liquid fertilizer, and fish bioload at various times for pothos and m. deliciosa. It all seemed to work well.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Are those particularly rare and desirable? My mindset is more along the lines of cuttings should be free/cheap. That's how I have most of my houseplants, including a huge monstera.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

99+% of the houseplants available in the hobby started life as a cutting, including the big expensive ones at your favorite plant store

Fair enough, but is that what plants sell for these days? Like, I don't have a favorite plant store, because I'm too cheap to buy them in the first place. Those prices appear higher than what I had imagined plants would sell for, unless it was something really rare and desired.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks for the info regarding the houseplant market.

Unrelatedly:

FOR SALE: BOWL FULL OF ROOTED TROPICAL CUTTINGS. HASHTAGE VARIEGATED POTHOS HASTAG MONSTERA
$500. No lowballs. No tire kickers. I know what i got. This monstera is a heritage variety, hand selected from the lobby of an apartment building in North vANCOUVER in 2005

(Mother plant for display purposes only. Not for sale)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oooh, and an idea for what to do with spare grow capacity: Look into the viability of sprouts / microgreens. Quick crop cycles with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oooh, plumeria. :swoon: I need a tough indoor plant that isn't toxic to cats and fits in a wall planter I have. Peperomia prostrata looks perfect; we live by the sea, and it's humid year-round, although cool (indoor lows 55 degrees, indoor highs 75). I know I can order one from Logee's, but that's a cross-country shipment by the now-unreliable mail. Is there anybody else you like for mail order? Or do you think Logee's will do?

The answer lies in the thread title. Spider plants all the way baaaybeeeee! My kitties each have one of their own that they're allowed to chew on / play with the runners.
:catdrugs: