Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We just this summer moved into a new house that is feet above a state park. Along with the pretty view, this brings hungry deer. Until I have a serious deer fence put in, I'm restricting what I order in the fall.
So, from Old House Gardens:
5 English bluebells (hyacinthoides non-scripta)
10 scilla siberica
3 species freesia (freesia alba)
5 Atkinsii snowdrops (galanthus x)

Those are going to pool around the base of a tree. Maybe I'll let myself order a bench-graft apple tree, for spring delivery, from Greenmantle Nursery; I dearly loved my last bench-grafts, but I'm 63 and might not see them come to flower. If I do, it'll be Rubaiyat. http://www.greenmantlenursery.com/fruit/rosetta-apples.htm I also covet some garlic from https://www.garlicana.com/garlic-varieties/ , but I haven't been able to decide which variety yet.

e: Wallet, how are you managing to force images into a grid layout?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wow, I love those scilla bifolia. Where did you order them from? I know the minimum order will be too big for me, but I love catalog browsing.

I'm worried that with the deliberate destruction of the US Postal Service, ordering anything other than bulbs, seeds, and bare-root plants will become impractical. I would hate that. I love Annie's Annuals (http://www.anniesannuals.com) who, contrary to the name, sell just about any kind of outdoor plant that will fit in a shipping pot. I want to put one of these Nicotiana sylvestris in in the spring.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, yeah. Love them. Not enough hours in the day to plant them!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Can anybody recommend some low-difficulty houseplants that aren't poisonous to cats? My go-to has been a philodendron, but those are definitely toxic.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My friends who are academic botanists say that bamboo is a couple-of-years siege.

1. Cut the bamboo to the base.
2. Paint the new shoots/growth with Roundup.

Repeat. Eventually you use up the nutrition stored in the roots and they can't send up shoots any more.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bamboo is a horrible thing. Mine drove shoots under a concrete foundation and up into the crawlspace.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

smax posted:

They planted bamboo and wandering Jew all over the place. All up and down the fences. My biggest fear is that the neighbors’ yard will be a constant reservoir for the bamboo- I have no problem digging up my beds to yank it out, but it’ll get old if it keeps coming back under the fences. Luckily the neighbors on both sides don’t have any obvious bamboo (they probably just mow whatever pops up).
That is exactly what happened to me. We managed to eradicate ours, but shoots from theirs kept coming up under the fence.

Also, I can't ethically use Roundup in my new house, because it's on land that drains into a state park which drains into the sea.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

smax posted:

Bonus tree pic:

https://i.imgur.com/ctJjjdw.jpg

Like a 2-3’ split down the middle of the trunk. Half is obviously dying, the other half will be so unbalanced it’ll probably fall into my neighbor’s yard. It’s coming down this weekend, probably.

Quick! Sell that as an album cover!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I have burnable plants next to the front of my house and I need to switch to succulents. Zone 9B, moist seacoast area that doesn't rain in the summer. What do you think is really beautiful? All heights and widths welcome.

To give you some idea of my tastes, here are some I like from Annie's Annuals (won't necessarily order succulents from there, it's just the catalog top-of-mind for me.)

https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=4124 Aeonium decorum 'Sunburst', https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=1202 Aeonium tabuliforme "Dinner Plate Aeonium", many echeverias. Basically, interesting, relatively large-scale textures and colors. I'm sorry if this is a lazy list; I've never considered succulents before.

As tribute, I bring a succulent octopus from my local botanical garden.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You're playing Banished! in real life, lol. Get European walnuts if they'll grow in your area. Black walnuts are tasty but a pain in the rear end to get much meat out of.

Dunno much about your climate/soil but blueberries are long-lived, reliable producers too, though water requirements are likely higher.

European walnuts take 15-20 years to fruit. Black walnuts take 8-10 years. Europeans say that you plant a walnut so that your children can enjoy the fruit. (I have an English friend whose father planted a walnut at her birth and, yup, fruited in her 20s.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was looking for catproof solutions (glassed-in wall shelves, that sort of thing) to growing some plants I love that are toxic to cats. No, we don't have an Ikea within reach. Suggestions welcome. Window shelves aren't a good solution because (A) we have sea views I don't want to block and (B) the cats spend a lot of time on the windowsills.

I ran across this bit of wisdom:

quote:

Window shelves are my favorite variation on wall shelf indoor gardens because they are in a sunny location. Your plants can soak up that Vitamin D to grow big and strong!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Wallet posted:

I don't think you have a huge variety of options except glassed in stuff. I have seen quite a few glassed in terrarium type things with hinged lids floating around local nurseries, e.g. this type of thing.
I want a wall-hung greenhouse, but I haven't been able to find the right search term for that. Anything that is on a cat-reachable surface will be gleefully batted on to the floor, chewed on, and probably opened.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Wallet posted:

Every cat I've ever owned would just jump on top of it if it was hanging from the wall and big enough they thought they could stand on it.

Okay, it's medical research for the lot of them. (True, but if I attach it sturdily enough I don't care what they do on the outside.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I am Harry, does your cat not eat plants?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm lucky not to have particularly adventurous/determined cats.
I have never had a cat as adventurous and determined as my current one. Silk philodendrons it is.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Wallet posted:

I don't really gently caress with orchids but I will probably check it out when I head down that way in the spring to visit Logee's.
(sobs in envy) I would take home all the scented geraniums. Every single one.

Go ahead and kill that spruce. It's going to continue to grow, it's going to continue to shade a big chunk of your yard, and it's an unattractive specimen. Norwegian spruces can be beautiful, but that one isn't.

Put in an apple tree. Two, so they crosspollinate.

e: I like having unusual plants, too. Here are some mail-order nurseries you should know about.

https://onegreenworld.com/ All sorts of unusual and rare fruiting plants and trees, including Szechuan peppercorns, goji berries, and some American natives like thimbleberries and honeyberries.

https://www.forestfarm.com/trees-shrubs.html?product_list_limit=all Forestfarm. They carry 1247 varieties of tree, including a lot of Japanese maples.

https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/types/?type=shrub Annie's Annuals. Despite the name, they carry an enormous variety of perennials, shrubs, trees, and vines.

I have ordered from all three of these and gotten plants in great condition which throve. In my experience, if you want plants that you won't see on every other street in town, mail-order is the way to go.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 18, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lakitu7 posted:

Since I moved to MN I've never been able to find even regular boring lemon-scented geraniums.

Richter's Nursery. I ordered a peppermint geranium, several thymes, and a microminiature rose, and they all arrived in California in immaculate shape. They have 20 different varieties of lavender.
https://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?show=list&prodclass=Potted_Herbs

They have rose *and* attar of rose *and* skeleton rose *and* Rober's Lemon Rose.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My grow lights are a disturbing purple, actually.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

drat, that sucks. I love blue scilla, but the variety you actually ordered (and paid more for, I'm betting) is gorgeous. I hope Van Engelen eventually makes good.

I love your tidy little plant labels, too. What are you using, and how well does it weather? I've used copper tags, but they are more artsy than permanent, and Sharpie on plastic tags tends to fade.

I've had good results from Van Engelen and I hope they haven't tanked. John Scheepers is the same company.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Wallet posted:

I also have white ones I put common names on in the herb garden for certain people who might live here who are otherwise confused :rolleyes:.
Heh. I was reminded today of why we use Latin names. The rockroses I loathe in my garden are in the Cistus genus; the ones they plant in Texas are Pavonia lasiopetala.

I usually put dates (if known) on my plants because I am that kind of nerd. So the label on a hyacinth would be 'Anna Liza', 1972. Similarly, a species rose would be Rosa damascena, but a Bourbon cultivar would be 'Mme. Hardy', 1832. My local, and very good, botanical gardens drive me nuts because they aren't consistent about labeling; I have to rely on Google Lens for half their plants.

e: For unusual bulbs, in small quantities because $$$, don't miss Old House Gardens.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Wallet posted:

I hate this poo poo at local nurseries. 'Succulent' is not a sufficient plant label, thank you.
My God, yes.

quote:

I keep the dates I planted stuff and where I got them from in a spreadsheet (organized by plant type and what bed they're in) which is how I know I got the Scilla from Van Engelen (well, that and they're the only Scilla I have planted). My format for the tags is basically just the way you'd format the scientific name normally if you were writing it by hand.
I'm no biologist or taxonomist, so I'm inconsistent. Properly 'Madame Hardy' is Rosa cv. 'Madame Hardy', but for my own personal purposes, I know it's a rose, and I don't think there's additional information in the 'Rosa'. Along the same lines, I have an apple tree 'Queen Cox', a self-fertile Cox's Orange Pippin; I don't see any point in putting Malus domestica at the front. It's heeling-in now and is about to open a bud; I need to go buy a big pot for it. Its roots were too wide for the pot I'd initially planned on using. But anyway, a consistent person would either have all the scientific names or none. I applaud your consistency.

I have a garden book I write in by hand, but we had a domestic crisis when a bunch of plants came in, and I planted them out without recording dates. I need to go backfill.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, I love seeing "Japanese Maple". Acer Palmatium? A. Shirasawanum? Japanicum? A fancy Circinatum? Who knows?

"I dunno, it's got red leaves?"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What are the balloon-y looking things in the basil and rosemary bed?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

i am harry posted:

Can anyone help me identify this? Looks sort of like elm leaves

I don't recognize it. However, you can have a ridiculous amount of fun (I'm weird) by installing Google Lens on your phone of choice (Android or iOS), taking a picture, and watching magic happen.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

i am harry posted:

they seem perfectly round. i'll ask next door if they know...but i think we're all in agreement that it's a tree? I should dig it up before it tries to dig up the side of my house right? there are 4 other branches coming up out of the ground a couple feet from each other along the side where the main growth is. There are a few about 4 ft apart along a fence that lines a sidewalk further down, sprouting new leaves from the base of old thicker dead trunks bent through the fence like they were bushes at some point.

Unless you want it there, dig it up. Doesn't matter if it's ultimately going to be a tree or a shrub, it's a plant you don't want in that space.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oooh, plumeria. :swoon: I need a tough indoor plant that isn't toxic to cats and fits in a wall planter I have. Peperomia prostrata looks perfect; we live by the sea, and it's humid year-round, although cool (indoor lows 55 degrees, indoor highs 75). I know I can order one from Logee's, but that's a cross-country shipment by the now-unreliable mail. Is there anybody else you like for mail order? Or do you think Logee's will do?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tremors posted:

If you have a lowes/meijer/walmart/anywhere near, they carry Costa Farms/Exotic Angel plants and that's a pretty common one I see when browsing.

Nope, the closest one of any of those is a 3-hour round trip. I do need to hit a garden center the next time we make that trip, so.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Wallet posted:

Well it's been 3 weeks with no response from Van Engelen so that's not entirely impressive. At least the muscari are the right color.

That absolutely sucks. Shame on them. If you have the oomph, leave a review on Dave's Garden to warn others. Your planting is very pretty.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Wallet posted:

I sent them another email ("Are you guys alive over there?") since that seems like a long time, and they said that my report had been forwarded to their owner for review and they have not received it back yet but will let me know when they do. I have no idea what that means, but I guess it's a response?
I'm betting "we're not going to do anything about this" and/or "we're getting so many complaints we don't have the time to deal with them" and/or "gently caress the customers, they get what they get". It sucks a lot when a previously reliable supplier turns to poo poo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Meaty Ore posted:

I don't think I amended the soil very much at all, IIRC. Basically dug out an appropriate-sized hole, got the rhodo out of the pot, tried to break up the existing root ball a bit per the planting instructions (it was pretty difficult to do, and may also have been a contributing factor), and filled in around the root ball with topsoil. I'll probably alter the soil in that bed before trying to plant anything there. The clay horizon starts something like like two inches below the surface and continues down more than a foot.

FWIW, my mother who lives nearby has said she hasn't had much luck with rhododendrons, either, and she is much better at gardening than I am.
Oh, yeah. That is exactly the circumstance in which a plant will get root-bound in the soil. Heavy clay is a bitch. I have not had great experiences trying to amend clay enough to get great drainage; I know there are people who do it successfully, but it can take years and a lot of compost/organic matter. At the very least, you'll need to mix the clay half and half with organic matter in an area the size of a bushel basket around the rhododendron, and then it will still be in a 'pot' surrounded by water after each rain.

Given that neither your mother or you are having success with rhododendrons, plant something else. I did a google on plants that love clay, and Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacis) comes in a wide variety of colors, is pretty, long-blooming. Have a look. I got the list from Proven Winners, who are shilling their own product, but you don't have to buy from them.

e: Proven Winners' complete Rose of Sharon page

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 9, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Eeyo posted:

I sowed a few zinnias. Any idea why the seeds appear to be coated yellow?

Probably fungicide.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is probably more of a landscaping question, but I've been redoing the front of the house and there's a big blank section of dirt about 3.5-4' wide and ~5' long I'd really like to plant an ornamental tree in:

I'm looking at Eastern Redbud or Kwanzan Cherry trees. I went to a local garden center and they have both in stock. This particular spot gets morning shade and afternoon sun.

Is there much of a difference in the way of hardiness between the two species?

With such a small spot, what would you think is the largest diameter transplant that would be successful there? The local garden center has everything from 1"-3" diameter trunks. I plan on having them take care of delivering and planting the tree. I also plan to dig out that crappy clay and rocks and have them put better soil in, as well as mulch.
That isn't enough root run for a tree. A tree needs a lot of water, and that un-concreted space is too small to let all the needed water in. In general, a tree's underground root span is the same as its overhead branch-span. Think of a tree as a dumbbell and you'll be close. I would strongly recommend, and I know it's spendy, jackhammering a much larger amount of ground that is exposed to rain.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Lilacs in the backyard!

I am a burning pillar of envy. God, I miss lilacs. (Next year. Next year we shall plant.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Very interesting. Do you have more info on the “not crossing soil composition gradients”? It’s a little counterintuitive to me since roots will grow into water pipes and even out of a container provided there’s moisture to be found.
It very much depends on the tree or plant. A willow will put its roots anywhere it drat well wants to and always through your sewer outflow. Ditto mint, or crabgrass. Other plants can be much, much pickier.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

While at menards earlier, I impulse bought some blackberry, raspberry, and blueberry starts and some blocks and trellis sections. My thought was to use the blocks and build some sort of half moon raised planters for each shrub, and space each plant about 5' apart with its own trellis staked in to climb:
Blackberries and raspberries aren't single-stem plants. Every year they throw up new growth from the roots of the plant. Your job as a gardener is to cut the old growth down to the base, at the right time of year, and leave the new growth to bear fruit. (There's elaborate timing on when you do this pruning depending on the type of berry and whether it blooms on this year's new growth or last year's new growth.) The point being, you need to leave substantial room around the base of a raspberry or blackberry for this annual regeneration from the roots.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'd say each half circle is about 3' wide, 1.5' deep, and the plants (blueberry and raspberry so far) are roughly 5' apart. I have no idea if those trellises will be adequate, but thought I'd start there and swap out something better down the line if need be. I'm also putting up a different trellis for the hops that are growing along the T post there. I know it's going to take two years and some pruning to bear fruit, but I figure there's no better time than the present to start!

If that's going to be a complete and total shitshow of inadequate spacing, I can redo stuff, I just relied on the googles for info. I'm half tempted to pull one of them apart here anyways because I'm fairly sure I inadvertently buried a hand trow when I filled it in :ohdear:
That feels like too small a root run to me, so I checked with Nourse Farms, where I buy berry starts. They recommend a 2' wide row, plants centered in the row 8-12 inches apart. You aren't far outside that. Give it a try and see what happens. Also, be prepared to bleed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Queen Victorian posted:

Goddamn that's an amazing iris. I came to post pics of my irises, most of which have started blooming, but now I feel inadequate. Anyways:

This big red one is putting on an excellent show with three stalks of flowers all blooming at once and it's like twice as big (in terms of rhizome spread) as it was last year.

My neighbor's horde of classic purple irises are in the background. She said I could have some because they've been spreading and are starting to subsume everything around them. So I'll be dividing some of those later this summer. And the neighbor across the street has some cool ones, similar to the classic purples but with an almost antique rose sort of cast to them. I'll have to see if they'd be interested in trading with us.

One of my new acquisitions:

...Except it turned out I already had a really similar one, or the same but as if from a different dye lot or something:

My big frilly peachy one will open up any day now:

And the Siberian iris, another new acquisition. I think I'll be getting more because I love their electric indigo flowers and super thin leaves.

Still waiting on a few more varieties.

In other news, I ripped out the rabbit fence around my utter failure of a squash patch and have been working on converting the area, which is like the one sunny spot in the backyard, to an English garden style flowerbed.

I've so far got more irises (peach, white, and yellow), columbine, white bleeding heart, pansies, foxgloves, and buttercup. The classic foxgloves are from seeds I brought over from my parents' house and planted not too long after we moved in, and they're finally starting to get established.

I have more bleeding heart to plant (also got the pink variety), also Jack Frost brunnera, maidenhair ferns, other ferns, and some new hosta varieties (flowerbed transitions to partial then nearly full shade - opposite side of the yard is mature trees, dogwoods, ferns, hostas, more brunnera, and a couple other shade plants. I dug up buttercup plants from various and put them in a bunch - I'd been pulling them out as weeds previously but then I noticed that the neighbors were cultivating them and they looked really nice in bunches (as opposed to randomly popping up in my lawn). They're still kinda sad and floppy from being transplanted but since they're weeds they'll probably perk up.

Also there is a random flowering quince (I believe you guys helped me identify it). It recently produced an offspring off a root, so I think I'll transplant it to my new flowerbed corner as a backdrop plant against the fence. Also I imagine the increased amount of sun (it's in full shade right now) will help it produce more flowers.

As for achieving the English garden vibe, I honestly think my crusty old wire fence and the neighbor's birdbath kinda make it. It's probably the original fence (house built 1910), so it lends a distinct old timey vibe. Also it's a 2-in-1 fence and trellis for vines or morning glory or peas (speaking of peas, I'm going somewhere later this summer with wild peas everywhere so I might try to nab some specimens to bring back with me).

In conclusion, I've been having fun gardening and spending way too much money on flowers.
Man, I wanna visit your house. That sounds amazing. For height variation, you might consider some hollyhocks, which come in wonderful color variations. BTW, from time to time you can buy English bluebells at oldhousegardens.com, depending on their suppliers that year.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

In the hemlock family, if you didn't plant it yourself, pull it out. Wearing gloves (not exaggerating, it's a contact poison). There is absolutely no point in rolling the dice on whether it's really angelica. Angelica seems unlikely to me in the first place. It is not a commonly grown herb in America; the times I've wanted to grow it, I've had to order the plant or the seeds from a specialist. For example, Burpee doesn't carry angelica seeds.

I love blue flowers, too. I bet you would love Mertensia virginica, which has wonderful blue flowers in the spring and loves shade. Someday I am going to get super organized and try growing Himalayan blue poppy, now that I have a reasonable climate for it.

e: To satisfy your curiosity, you could run it by Google Lens or equivalent.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Queen Victorian posted:

So I fed the picture to Google Lens and it suggested ground elder, which I looked up and... perfect match :stare:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegopodium_podagraria
Hooray! I moved into my new garden (okay, technically there was a house attached) on the West Coast only to discover a water hemlock, so I'm a bit skittish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Somebody in the thread had peonies flooping over on to a walkway; I was looking for a rose pillar and saw these supports. I have no idea if they're any good, but they might solve your problem.