Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I recently got 2 new ones and am trying a 3-4 daily spray thing, but yea they're hard. I had one that sounds very similar to yours with the dead crown that I babied because I was hoping it would make a keiki, but it never did and slowly withered away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

Spraying with a bottle does virtually nothing but it makes us feel nice and it can have a positive effect on the plants that can sense it in some way/for some biological reason.

RIP my plan :(

I have had Phalaenopsis bloom for me before even without spraying or any of that other stuff, so the spot is decent naturally, but now I've got a Brassia and I read they're more picky

mediaphage posted:

here's an old pic of some of the orchids

That tall one is sick!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

So when you say "no sprays", do you mean on the roots? Sounds like it.

I've been spraying the leaves a couple times a day, trying to avoid getting much of anything in the juncture (to avoid crown rot) and nothing on the roots. Hopefully this is not actively harmful, even if it's not super beneficial either. Deep watering from the bottom (immersion) once a week.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I thought orchids ALSO liked moving air? Read that and figured it meant bell jars/terrariums etc were a bad idea

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Depends on how you're setting it up. Light intensity from grow lights falls off exponentially, so it might be fine, say, right under it on a counter, but not if it's farther away.

You also might need to set up a timer instead, because I'm not sure if they would appreciate 100% light uptime

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

anyone recognize these beasties, and are they a problem? They're soil based, because I found them underneath the pot, around the drainage hole and on the saucer

Very tiny, this is quite zoomed in

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

maybe fungus gnat pupae? It's hard to tell, but if you've got fungus gnats flying around (and you probably do) then you've got their larvae and pupae around too

If you're worried you can try underwatering for a bit and really letting the soil dry out between waterings, you should also put up traps to catch any adults and stop them from reproducing. Finally, you can do a hydrogen peroxide soil rinse, off the top of my head I can't remember what the peroxide/water ratio is (maybe 1:1?) if any.

I know them buggers (unfortunately), and it's not them. I had them in previous years but it's been under control for a while. Thanks though!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

snailshell posted:

Are they sort of translucent and really, really tiny, like < 1 mm? Judging by the second picture, they could be springtails, an evolutionary precursor to insects. They contribute to soil breakdown/quality, are everywhere in moist healthy soil, and are harmless to plants.

That looks like the ticket, thanks guys. I'll leave them be unless they start multiplying too crazy, and then cut back on water in that case.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

mediaphage posted:

speaking of pothos and water culturing this was supposed to be temporary but it likes it so much it just became a thing

That looks great. How many cuttings is it? I've got some that are at least a year old in a jar, but the tops never grow much so they look thin (unless you add a bunch, I imagine)

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

^^ cool, thanks!

Wallet posted:

You probably have to provide nutrients if you want them to grow well in water long term.

Yea maybe. It wasn't a long-term or thought out thing so I hadn't looked into it. I guess you'd need some sort of hydroponics nutrient product?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone done big Dahlias in pots? I've had smaller ones that have been pretty successful, but my girl wants to try these: https://www.farmergracy.co.uk/products/dahlia-cafe-au-lait-tubers-uk

I can't blame her, I'd love to try them too if I can get 'em to be happy. Pots really the only option because the border spots in my yard don't get enough sun, and I have a ton of slugs

Any ideas on the size pot I'd need for something like that?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Oil of Paris posted:

Bigger the better. I think they’d do fine in pots but they make a beefy root system. Mine are pretty crowded in the garden between some woody shrubs and so can’t expand too much. I think as long as you gave the roots some room to fill out and fertilized you’d be good to go

I'm hoping 60 liters would do it, that's a beefy pot... 100l there in the back. Thank you random youtubes for size comparisons

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

poo poo, anyone ID this? Looks some like fungus or disease on one of my lemons

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

It’s possible it’s something like Botryosphaeria infection, but I think it’s just sunburn.

I hope you're right, but sunburn is not so... localized, no? These spots have some sharply defined edges and some are quite interior to the plant. Like this one is in the bottom 3rd and right up near the trunk, which would be shadier than the rest

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Ok yea that does look pretty close. Comparing this one in particular

with mine

And they have had spider mites in the past, which spread it apparently, so...

On the plus side, if it is this, looks like it just comes from the mite bites, so going ham on them and pruning the affected areas should clear it up

Thanks so much!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

That's gorgeous! I'm jealous of you people that can have succulents planted outside but not jealous enough to want to live in heat

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Fair enough. I'm in Europe zone 8 and we had a cold snap that got down to about -8c (17f, which should still be warmer than US zone 6) and it murdered a number of things I had left outside including an Echeveria 'Purple Pearl', a Hebe, and a Eucalyptus in a pot

To be fair, I had doubts about the Echeveria but it had been outside the previous few winters so I figured what the heck, see how hardy it is. RIP

Lemons are badass though, I also left out a couple of those and they lost all their leaves and smaller branches but are all coming back gangbusters

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Wallet posted:

Someone brought me a little Echeveria last year that I didn't want to grow inside (Echeveria don't seem like great houseplants to me) so I put it in the garden figuring it would be a cute annual. We actually had a really mild winter this year and it made it all the way to the very end when it finally gave up the ghost during some freeze/thaw cycles :(.

As far as I can tell zone 8 has the same min temperature in Europe as in the US so you can actually grow all kinds of poo poo I can't. There's more stuff than you think that stays evergreen even here where it consistently hits -10f in the winter (-23c). It's never too late to start a rock garden!

Amazing list, gonna be looking up a bunch of these!

And you're absolutely right, I was actually being mentally lazy and just thinking of the low-water, fragile ones when I said that. I actually have some of those already, like in that pot with the RIP Echeveria there's some hens and chicks and one unidentified, looks-like-a-Sedum that was from the previous tenants:

Then there's this fun stuff, which I literally pulled off a rootop in a France hostel we were at, stuck it in the bottom of my (now looking dead :( ) Eucalytpus and it's gone absolutely nuts.

The hens and chicks there are holding on but that other stuff is fierce. Also maybe a Sedum, any thoughts?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Wallet posted:

The taller lime green stuff looks like Hylotelephium telephium probably but it could be one of many cultivars of either it or spectabile. It's definitely Hylotelephium anyway.

The little guy with the pink edges in the middle is likely Phedimus spurius cv. Tri-color (previously Sedum spurium cv. Tri-color) though there are a number of other cultivars it could be and with how small it currently is it could be something like Hylotelephium ewersii or even be one of the Sedum tetractinum cultivars with pink edges.

That's Sedum album. The Sempervivum look like arachnoideum or a cultivar of it.

You're good, thanks! :hfive:

Jhet posted:

That's a ground cover Sedum, but I don't know the variety at all. We had it all over our last garden and it grows and grows. But it's also really easy to yank out without disturbing all the soil. It started growing in my compost when I didn't turn it in completely, but did die once it made the center of it. I really like the colors on the one you have, and when you plant something else in that pot you can just wiggle it back into the top of the soil and it'll come back great.

Yea, I love it but I've definitely had to yank out chunks from various places because it's a serious spreader.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I've killed my share of succulents with overwatering so I'm (perhaps over-) paranoid of ever putting them outside. How do you handle a stretch like this, bring them all inside again?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I did exactly that experiment and left a couple lemons in pots outside this winter during a cold snap (-8c / 17f)

I only lost one (the tiniest). The bigger ones lost all their leaves and various amounts of stem, but are all coming back no problem. So worst case scenario is you've got redo all their shaping and pruning, like on this guy who's doing a huge double leader thing now. Those two giant new stems are all brand new growth in the last ~3 months, post-cold.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Can I get some rose advice? I planted a couple 3 years ago, and this one has been doing the best:

Today I took a closer look and we have some problems, however:

That one small cane would be no problem to take off, but unfortunately there's a black spot quite far down on the main cane that's like 90% of the bush volume:

Zoomed out on the same angle, you can see there's a new cane coming up behind, but if I take out the big one, that new cane will be basically the only thing the bush has left.

Thoughts? Should I take the whole big one out?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

My understanding is black spot affects more younger canes and leaves, so maybe this is rose canker? Doesn't change anything though because the treatment for canker is taking out the stem too

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Nosre posted:

Can I get some rose advice? I planted a couple 3 years ago, and this one has been doing the best:

Thoughts? Should I take the whole big cane out?

Anyone got any other thoughts on this? I've got to make a decision whether to operate or not

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Yoruichi posted:

It's been 6 weeks and this poor succulent still looks like poo poo. I tried spraying it with a copper-based anti-fungal spray, and the white mildewy looking stuff seems to have gone, but it's got new spots on its leaves and just generally looks a bit sick. The damaged leaves in the earlier photos have fallen off. I've been leaving it on a sunny (bearing in mind that it's the middle of winter so there's not a lot of sun to be had) windowsill during the day and moving it inside the curtains at night. Its soil feels pretty dry so I don't think it's waterlogged or anything.

Why does it look so sad??

It may just be dormant or growing extremely slowly since it sounds like it's cool and not getting enough light. Often happens with succulents, cacti, and other desert type plants even when we give them the best possible care in that space. So you're not going to see it do much to grow out of the fungus damage, even if you treated said fungus perfectly.

Just spitballing, but if it was mine I'd probably cut it in two. The tops of succs like that (looks like an echeveria?) typically root extremely easily, and the bottom will often put out new growth easily as well. So save the top ~6 healthy-looking leaves, remove all the middle leaves which are fungus damaged (which will give you a decent piece of bare stem to work with) and then repot that in a couple days (to let the wound close over). Maybe spray everything down again while you're at it, why not

If all goes well, eventually you'll have 2!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Neem oil can straight up burn some sensitive plant leaves, so every day does seem wrong. My lemons don't mind, but I burned my avocados a bit using it in a ratio of like 1 tablespoon/.75L spraybottle.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I tried water rooting this guy below and it went nuts; this jar was completely full of roots by the time I moved it to soil and it's doing fine

On the other hand, I too have killed my share of succulents with overwatering them once they're in soil. Plants are weird

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

oh yea it's more of a curiosity or fun project to try, wasn't saying it was best practice

On another note, we were away 6 weeks and I had neighbors water for me, but they did not do enough for my Avocado. I'm happy to see it's pulling through :unsmith:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

Are these spurges? I’m 90% certain based on the flowers(?) at the top but I’m not certain. Would love to add a phenotypically different euphorbia from my usual, and it’s “cup of coffee” cheap

Mother of Millions, or Kalanchoe Delagoensis

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

That's a $300 plant? drat. The pictures online of fully healthy ones do look pretty sweet, though, so keep us updated :)

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Does anyone have experience with hydrogen peroxide drenches for houseplant soil pests? The sources I'm seeing suggest drastically different strengths:

https://www.reddit.com/r/houseplants/comments/i7tf1c/truth_no_single_fungus_gnat_control_method/
https://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/how-to-control-fungus-gnats-organically
suggests 1:4

https://planethouseplant.com/hydrogen-peroxide-house-plants-faq/
suggests 1:16 or 1:48 (a tablespoon or teaspoon per cup of water)

That's a pretty huge range so I was hoping to get some other feedback. I'm using 3% just like both of these sources

Nosre fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 2, 2022

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

You mean straight up 3% doesn't hurt roots? If so, a 1/4th dilution of 3% certainly won't, which is what I'm worried about :)

I've got my other tools of stickies and mosquito bits, this is just a small tactical nuke for a bad pot

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Of course, some stuff will be more sensitive. That's good to hear, though

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Wonderful selection :3:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Hi plant thread. I was thinking on a new succulent I picked up, just a little Haworthia Cooperi, and realized I don't know the answer to a pretty important question:

When should the line in between winter/summer fall for indoor succulents/cacti?

Because it may make a big difference - using this as an example:

quote:

During the summer season, water cooperi Haworthia generously and evenly. Make sure to allow the soil to dry completely between watering.

During the winter season, decrease the amount of water to once a month.

Since conditions indoors don't change nearly as much compared to outside, when do you draw the line to start watering, and fertilizing if appropriate? Any thoughts or tips?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I got gifted this Phal, any idea what this is? It makes me think of a fungus fruiting, so I'm not sure if I want to put it among my other orchids. I can remove this root obviously, but there might be more...

Wallet posted:

It's not really a clear line, whether indoors or out. Many houseplants (Haworthia among them in my experience) will never go fully dormant if they're indoors where it's warm. A plant's water consumption is relative to how much light it's getting, though, so if it's getting most of its light from a window it will still need a bit less water. Put it in some gritty mix and don't worry about it too much, IMO.

I fertilize all of my succulents around once every six months (probably more like eight to twelve since I don't always remember) with about half the recommended dosage of osmocote. Even with all of them in a gritty mix that has little or no available nutrients that seems to be enough to keep them happy.

Thanks for this. I'm ramping up watering and not worrying about it too much then

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

:siren::siren: I got gifted this Mednilla Flamenco as a wedding present, so I need to be extra careful to keep it happy

Humidity/Temp seems fine, I'll set up a pebble tray

Light: my options are a spot 3-4 hours direct but mild morning sun, or around a corner near that spot with 0 direct sun. Thoughts?

Soil: This is the big question - I see one source suggesting using straight up Orchid mix, with some peat mixed in. Others suggest a more standard mix, still with a decent peat component. That's a big difference, thoughts?

Fertilizer: Likewise seeing conflicting suggestions here. One source says it's a light feeder and only needs occasional nutrients, another one says once a week for the whole growing season (Feb-August)

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Well color me educated, thanks all.

Any thoughts on the soil? That seems like the biggest choice I have to make, and the sources are quite different.

Orchid mix wth some peat mixed in vs. a pretty standard (but also peat-heavy) mix

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

my friends, do these types of things actually work? I need to get some pots through a 3-week vacation. All the Amazon results look cheap as hell, but maybe there's some brand or style that's decent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks both. I'll see if I can find blumats in time, and have that as a backup option.

As you get more interesting things, this situation becomes harder... most of my stuff would be fine, but I'm worried about the Jewel Orchid and some other particularly thirsty boys