Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm really interested in hearing how those kiwanos go. I love those little bastards but tropical fruit prices in Canada hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Tremors posted:

Is this really a thing? Please don't toy with my heart.

It's a thing but I heard due to 2020 being 2020 they got pushed back to 2022.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

B33rChiller posted:

Might have to think bigger. Ready to build that (all glass) addition? Probably for the best if you design it to handle a lot of water from the start.
I've dreamt of having something like that ever since being stuck in Edmonton for a winter. With all the cold, dry air, my skin and sinuses were becoming completely desiccated.
But, I found a place where just visiting could make me feel better all over. The tropical pyramid at the Muttart conservatory. Nice warm and moist air. lovely plants, ahhhhhhhh...

I love the Muttart so much - I can even see it from my laundry room window! It's currently under construction right now but I can't wait to visit again. I can actually see my apartment in that first picture. The Muttart in winter is lovely as well.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 19, 2020

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I have my own carnivorous plant question: I live in New England and rent and would love some carnivorous plants. I can't really keep any/many outdoor ones myself, but I plan to help my dad build a small pond+bog filter this summer at his house and my plan is to order some compatible ones for him to plant then. So far so good right? Will they be able to tolerate CT winters or will they need to be brought into a garage?

Second question: it's January but my plant store's got a nice collection of small pitcher plants and sundews for sale. I take it these are tropical or acclimated? How well do these guys do indoors, really? I know that with flytraps (which are exclusively North American) you want to keep them cool and dormant in the winter, and many people recommend a cold windowsill or attached garage. Do tropicals/pitchers/etc need to go dormant too? Carnivorous plants and orchids are like my two next big plant-dad rubicons. Maybe getting a mangrove or two as well, idk.

I grow a lot of drosera and some other small carnivores indoors at regular room humidity and with a grow light to help through winter and a heat mat they do great - half of mine are in bloom right now. Happy to share some pics and direction on my simple bog setup if you'd be interested. Speaking of, please enjoy these tiny bunnies (Utricularia sandersonii)

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Babby Satan posted:

Hello all,

I was referred to this thread by the good people on Discord because I have a poo poo ton of questions about a poo poo ton of indoor plants and apparently, y'all might be able to provide some answers. I'll try not to bombard you with too many questions, but if someone can shed some light as to what the hell is up with my (already very etiolated) aloe (juvenna or zanzibarica, not sure :/ ) I would be really grateful. I've had the thing for years and even though it is very very leggy, it is still producing offshoots even after I repotted it last November. I recently moved so I've changed its location - it used to be close to a window and now it's directly in front of a window, for information - but since I moved it's been going slightly brown. I've done a lot of research on the internet but other than potential sunburn, I haven't found anything that might explain its sudden change in colour.
I removed some dead and shrivelled leaves the other day and put it back into the soil proper because it was kind of... falling out of the soil? I'd hate to see the thing die but I genuinely don't know what is up with it and what to do to make it at least regain its greeny colour. I don't expect it to become all compact again (unless I do some trimming and propagating but I'm not experienced enough to mess around with that).
Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :ohdear:

Aloe in question.

I think I have your aloe's twin and its identity has been tripping me up for years (got it from a friend's grandma). No matter how much sun it gets it grows long and viney instead of upright. juvenna and zanzibarica both look too thicc to be correct to me. This one has lived in both west and south windows and under grow lights. I would also lose the topdressing though.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 21, 2021

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I avoid Miracle Gro just because every time I use it I suddenly have a fungus gnat infestation. I go with promix.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Hi everyone! I should have posted this about a year ago, but now is better than never.

I want to add some house plants to my house. I am as novice as one can possibly be when it comes to this stuff, so I know absolutely nothing. I'll start with one specific plant I'd like to add, and we'll see where this takes me.

There's a corner of my office that could really use some green. It's next to windows, so if I open the blinds it will get sunlight all day, and direct sunlight half the day. Temperature will vary between mid-60s and mid-90s. I'd like it to be self-supporting, require very little maintenance, hopefully hardy, and generally clean. Somewhere between three and six feet tall would be best, and I'm hoping for something that's mostly already grown rather than starting from scratch. What type of plant do you recommend I get, and where should I get it from? Thanks all.

Big ol snake plant or a cactus.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I love spring propagating. My lucerna is my favourite even if she's not rare and she's gonna be popping this summer after these guys get added back to the huge pot and take off.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

doesn't look like powdery mildew, that's not terribly common in succs either

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm death to houseplants, but I think this corner could use a houseplant:

That was taken around noon and that's about as bright as it gets in summer-maybe gets a bit more in winter when the sun is lower. It gets some spillover light from the fluorescent in the kitchen in the evenings. I want something big and tall-ish, more like a monstera or some kind of palmy thing, not like a peace lily. It's pretty humid in my house, and in the winter I let it get down to the mid-50s sometimes-no idea if that matters for tropical stuff.

Anything y'all could recommend?

big ol fern will do well in low light and humidity

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

the numa numa song posted:

The little guys do not jump. I also never see any bugs flying around the plant when I disturb it.

I put the plant on my balcony (in the shade) for the last week to dry it out. I only ever water it ~3/4 cup a week, but it's pretty dry up here in CO. After the week at least the top 2" of soil felt dry, but if I dug around I could still see the little crawlers. Had to try much harder to find them than I did when I made my first post here.

In my office today I swatted this guy, however:

Which looks an awful lot like the fungus gnats I see on google. But I swear I have never seen them around the plant, indoors or out.

this doesn't look like a fungus gnat at all to me, it looks like a mosquito. might wanna think about impregnating your soil with mosquito bits.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm gonna warn you now a large part of neem oil is butyric acid which makes it smell like straight barf, I have abandoned any hope of using neem indoors because it smells so strongly of vomit and the stench hangs around forever. Butyric acid is also the ingredient that makes Hershey's suck.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 30, 2021

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Anyone ever successfully germinated an avocado pit before?

I tried putting one in a bag with a damp paper towel in a drawer, but it wound up growing some mold before the root could emerge.

Tried again tying some twine around the pit and suspending it over a container of water. This was in lieu of the toothpick method you see on the internet. It's got a light crack, but no root yet.

I have no aspirations of producing fruit. We just eat a lot of avocados and I wanted to add one to my dozens of houseplants.

Yeah, just keep trying. The one with the toothpick method is probably still fine.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

this is the first time one of my roots is actually attaching instead of ignoring the moss pole and i am unreasonably excited :kimchi:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

mmm, haworthia looking juicy

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Hi, so I have 3-4 cats depending on if I spot the fourth one in the next few days.

Are there houseplants that cats won't touch? Won't chew on and puke eveywhere, or whatever?

We used to have so many houseplants but one by one they shredded the leaves, knocked the pots off sills, pissed in the soil, etc.

I'm tired of not having plants, though. So this time I wanna be more careful about which ones I choose, how I place them (more hanging planters I guess), and keep training my cats to stay the gently caress away from them.

So are there any houseplants people might recommend that cats would find at least disinteresting, and any I should absolutely avoid if I don't want the cats to die vomiting?

No lilies ever

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I have successfully carried live plants in soil back to Canada with me from the US again. Why did I buy a honkin big Stenocereus pruinosus? I was seduced by the stuff grown in good heat and light again. I guess this is going to have to live under my grow light forever?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I put a fiddle leaf fig in my apartment vestibule last night because I had a plant trade coming by and I've been sniffly and gross. It was there like half an hour and by the time my trade arrived someone had absconded with it. Who just steals a tree?? We have places in our building we place free stuff and that is not one of them. I felt terrible when she arrived with stuff for me and it was gone so I ended up running down a smaller ficus altissima and starting more stuff for her this morning. I put a drawing of it on our bulletin board and noted a reward, so I'm hoping it comes back to me so I can still give it to her. I thought my neighbours were better than that but I guess that's on me. Disappointing. I'm happy to share plants but this is a bummer.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Are you in the states? Costa Farms has a lot of standard flfs and bambinos starting at 20ish and I even saw a few bambinos in grocery stores. Unfortunately I'm back home in Canada now where they only seem to be showing up reliably full size at places like Costco which is not really accessible to me on public transit.
E: ^^what the poster above me said

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

this isn't a succ but I'm loving the three month progress on this hoya (krohniana silver?)! I think that's what replaced the racist name it was sold to me under, if someone could confirm I'd appreciate it.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

My ponytail palm seems like it wants to fall out of the pot no matter what I do. I've just accepted that it really wants to be a horizontal plant

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 21, 2021

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

It's generally very dry in my apartment, especially in winter, and I don't mist or run a humidifier ever. The only thing that seems to struggle in my place is rex begonias. I don't think a FLF actually needs the humidity boost if you're watering regularly and it's getting enough light. Mine lived in a west window (right above where the radiator ran, even) happily until it got too big and I passed it on to someone else with more room.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

This owns. I took partial inspiration and rescued a philo my wife was killing and it seems to like growing along the wall.

That's not a philodendron, it's a scindapsus :)

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Nosre posted:

:siren::siren: I got gifted this Mednilla Flamenco as a wedding present, so I need to be extra careful to keep it happy

Humidity/Temp seems fine, I'll set up a pebble tray

I would skip the pebble tray and go for an actual humidifier if humidity is a thing that concerns you. They can't really evaporate moisture at a rate that will change ambient humidity when it's not a closed environment like a prop box, even if you swap the pebbles for a water-wicking alternative like leca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Pebble trays don’t increase ambient humidity for the plant in any appreciable way. I wouldn’t go so far as to call it pseudoscience

There's some stuff in the plant community that's just wild and baseless sometimes too tbh. If I see one more person recommending you shake a FLF I might have an aneurysm.