Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Deteriorata posted:

Faith is not a purely intellectual enterprise. You cannot learn or reason your way into faith. You can learn a lot about religion, but faith itself is something you have to feel.

John Wesley had a similar problem. He'd tried to be a good Christian all his life, had followed all the rules, been ordained as a priest, and studied it intensely for years. However, he always felt off - like he didn't really get it.

Then he had his Aldersgate experience and everything changed. I hope and pray that you'll experience something similar one day.

"That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it. And if you do, no explanation is necessary." -Kira Nerys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

zonohedron posted:

A little of column A, a little of column B, some things that are yet to happen, and some things that have already happened - the woman whose son was caught up to Heaven, who fled into the desert, was Mary (and is the Church), for example.

My favorite way to deliberately misinterpret Revelation is asserting that the woman with "with the moon under her feet" is obviously an astronaut on the lunar surface, so we don't need to worry about any of these events coming to pass until we have a good-sized moon base and someone gives birth up there.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Oh yeah? Well I'm a direct female-line descendant of Mitochondrial Eve, a line going back some 200,000 years. :smug: (Oh course, so is absolutely everyone, since that's kind of how the term is defined, but hey, I'll take my braggadocio where I can get it.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It seems a Catholic priest in Arizona has been making an error in doctrinal form, and accidentally performing invalid baptisms for 20 years. It hit the news last night:

Oopsie.

Full story: https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/14/us/pastor-invalid-baptisms-resignation/index.html
FAQ by the Diocese of Phoenix about the situation: https://dphx.org/valid-baptisms/#FAQ

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Bolding is in the original, they really want you to know that your confirmations and marriages are also null.

Not to mention potentially 2 or 3 decades of improperly taking communion.

And let's not even discuss all those deceased loved ones, who have now been retconned to have died "unbaptized".

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

D34THROW posted:

quote:

Father Zachary Boazman of Oklahoma City is one such priest. He watched a video from his infancy in which a deacon from the Diocese of Dallas, during service in the Diocese of Fort Worth, had tried to baptize the infant Boazman using the wrong formula.

Father Matthew Hood of the Archdiocese of Detroit also watched a video of a different deacon, Mark Springer, performing an invalid baptism on him as an infant in Troy, Michigan.

In both cases, these would-be priests weren’t really priests, or even Christians! Both men had to be baptized, confirmed, and ordained deacons and then priests for the first time.

If this sort of thing is a genuine concern, then you'd think that somewhere near the end of the ordination process, they'd quickly re-apply all these previous steps. Belt and suspenders, just to cover their sacramental butts in case of an undetected error somewhere years ago. Or hey, maybe even encourage laypeople to get another coat of baptismal waters applied, just in case.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've known a couple who still abide by the caffeine issue, and rationalize it as being a stimulant. Same way they don't like tobacco.

Some people take this to mean that caffeine-free coke is OK, while others hold that if there's a caffeinated version available they should still stay away, so no decaf coffee of decaf coke.

Don't let them find out about caffeinated water! :ohdear:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Keromaru5 posted:

I am very much in favor of DS9 talk in this thread.

I'm in the process of watching the other 1990s space station show for the first time. And I have to say, Babylon 5 has even more to say on the topic of religion than Deep Space Nine does.

Here, have a discussion on faith between a couple of Minbari and a Catholic monk, from the episode Passing Through Gethsemane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJfbSPZ9wu4

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

a community that is focused on "fast* all the time

Instructions unclear, ended up postulated to the Order of St. Sonic. :sanix:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

A religious discussion (particularly among those of us who grew up Catholic and those who are curious about what it was like) has sprung up in an unlikely place: the newspaper comic strip thread in BSS. It began here:

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

The discussion might be interesting to readers of this thread, and there may even be some questions coming here from there.

The conclusion to the comic's storyline should be coming tomorrow.