Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

What’s up, before covid I had a small side business selling vintage furniture, design items and clothes, so I developed an interior design method where I would buy a piece at an estate sale or auction or wherever, live with it for a while, and either keep or sell based on how well it fit. I don’t end up with many questions that need answering this way, but I like to chat about design so I’m usually posting random things about extremely specific designers, trends among established design houses and the vintage design market, or IDing the chairs in Zillow pics.

Someone in the last thread posted about the apartment from Coming to America which motivated me to buy this neon lamp from Facebook marketplace. It’s unmarked, but is very high quality as far as neon lamps go, has an enameled metal conical base and a 14” diameter ruby red neon tube. I have no idea who made it, but it’s probably from the mid to late 1980s and has a Ron Arad vibe. It’s surely not actually by Arad, but it’s a keeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Dareon posted:

Tell me about that chair behind it. I like the look, but it doesn't look comfortable.

It is a Memphis Milano “First Chair” from 1983 and it’s the most uncomfortable chair I’ve ever sat in. Would not recommend sitting in for longer than you can tolerate a church pew. Would recommend as a functional sculpture.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Those bathrooms with lounges and offices in them always make me think of Tony Montana soaking in the jacuzzi while everyone is just hanging out with him.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Some vintage furniture dealer sourced and will be selling the same bedroom set from Spring Breakers and I can’t stop laughing

Photo at the furniture studio which is known as:

Reference photo:

Now is your chance to live like this

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is from a while ago but holy poo poo this is rancid

I’m the nonfunctional dueling barn doors

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I've never heard of Mira or George Nakashima until now, apparently the elder worked with Knoll in the 1940s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mira-Nakas...jAAAOSwQC1foWl~

uh, ok

$30k seems like a lot but fwiw Antiques Roadshow appraised a nakashima bench for $60k or something a few years back. A lot of this person’s listings have that 100% above fair market value eBay markup. It’s all nice stuff individually but for my money, if I’m paying that much I expect them to bring some unique curatorial energy or inventive way of decorating to the table. Regrettably I am oversaturated with the mid century modern all time greatest hits compilation they are pulling their collection from.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Since you probably know way more about MCM than I will ever do, some of the stuff doesn't really seem to be in that category. The one thing I'm wondering about is legs on chairs, sofas, credenzas, etc. To me chrome or perforated steel is not really of that era. When I think 40s-60s MCM I think wood legs, and of course hairpins. And for wood, mainly walnut, rosewood, and teak.

They are selling a knoll chair from that era but the legs are chrome, and it just looks weird.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fl...wsAAOSwYIxe9iI5

Eh I would definitely classify that chair as mid century modern. It’s a stone cold classic.

Mid century modern isn’t a monolithic classification. It varies from cold steel architectural pieces like that Knoll chair, to warm wooden pieces using like sculpted danish teak, to more cheery pop influenced pieces incorporating loud colors/shapes/plastics/etc, and that is by no means all encompassing. A lot of antiques dealers mix and match all of the above and that’s how most people decorate anyway.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Hot mountain pyramid home listing

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/548-Parkwood-Dr-Lake-Ariel-PA-18436/2120931379_zpid/

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Double post for rugchat

Thanks for this link, I am about to be in the market for a decent sized rug for my living room and they have some nice options here that I haven't seen on all the other popular online rug stores.

Since this is the design thread, can we discuss why this is a thing and who even likes it:

This is a brand new rug. It just baffles me how often I run across the "oops, I spilled all my bleach" style of overdyed rugs. I hate it. Traditional oriental rug styles aren't really my thing but this just seems like sacrelige.

Maybe not all but I think a lot of people buy these rugs to signal worldliness and generational wealth.

This ones especially ugly, it looks like a grunge bleach dyed t shirt, and the only rug I’ve seen irl that comes close to it was a kilim at a yard sale that had repeatedly been soaked with dog urine and dog urine cleaner.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I like a little exposed cord personally. As a treat.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

These people need to be stopped. Not only will it kill you, it'll look ugly as hell the whole time.

I’ll take a semi secret room that I could easily defend against intruders though

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Do y'all like the Hue background lighting setups?

Folks seem to love getting backlighting for their tvs and computers, and even have corner lights. They sync the hue lighting up with the movie, as the color changes during the movie, the background colors change accordingly.

Seems distracting more than anything else.

Yes to installing backlights for the sake of reducing eye fatigue. The hue syncing seems gimmicky and distracting but the more I think about it, maybe it could be less distracting than a static hue? I’ve never used one of those though. I just have a LED bulb that I set to red for horror movies and green for UFO movies.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

The master bathroom toilet is one of the few remaining "John Douglas" toilets, from which the word JOHN evolved. The 6 ft bathtub is from the 1890's and the Estate of "Doris Day" and is bronzed with nickeled legs with an oak rim."

look at this fancy-rear end toilet

Beautiful toilet but I’m more of a Thomas Crapper person myself.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I remember reading some of the craftsman a while ago, maybe it was on this board or in v1 of the thread. The craftsman kicks rear end.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

UnkleBoB posted:

Thanks for the Hive Modern suggestion. They have some good choices. I am looking at under $500. The couch is a futon that I drunkenly ordered last week but ended up being pretty happy with. Modernist suggestions are fine too. I see Hive Modern has white Kartell Componibili, which I hadn't found elsewhere except vintage used examples for $$$.

Color-wise, bright. White, yellow. Was looking at Saarinen side tables, though that would stretch my budget a bit.

(stock photo)

Componibili is a solid choice. They go with everything. My normal post modern suggestion is a laminate cube or drum or a parsons table of some kind, but I think those would look too heavy alongside that particular sofa. I’d say go for the componibili.

In case you do think it would work, I’m really fond of these super bright yellow vintage one-piece plastic parsons tables made by Syroco that can be had for $100-200 if you’re up for a hunt.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

living off the floor is pretty gross unless you keep your shoes outside the apartment

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I think there has been some talk about arts and crafts architecture and furniture here in the past. And I have a question.
Would this be an example? (minus the purple paint)

My limited research skills have led me to similar furniture made by Limbert, so I'm inclined to say yes

It's too bad about the above chair being for sale but 500 miles away from me, because it would probably be worth refinishing.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

The piece's heritage is a spinning chair or stool -- i.e. it's what you would use to spin on a spinning wheel. I'm not impressed with that specific one. Unless you're in Antarctica, you can find something similar and better within 500 miles

Aha. Thank you. This kind of chair was so vaguely familiar, probably due to growing up in the country. I had no idea these had a utilitarian purpose.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Presented without comment

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/mirrors/wall-mirrors/surrealist-mirror-richard-etts/id-f_18728182/

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

not sure what's worst, the giant DWELL (wtf) or the foreground chairs, which iirc were designed by Le Corbusier, a fascist

i've actually been shopping for a LC2 chair this year, I didn't realize corb had been cancelled :sigh:

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I have such a problem with acquiring vases that I had 11 vases in a small one bedroom apartment, up until last year when I get fed up with them all, sold them, and resolved to own only one Best Vase.

That vase is Delta Vase by dutch architect Mart Van Schijndel circa 1981.

(as you can see I'm still decluttering)

The vase is comprised of three identical intersecting plates of glass bonded with silicone.

He was a talented architect, but is most widely known today for the vase. Here is a video of him touring his self designed home, which has a criminally low number of youtube views. Like with the vase, he is big on using plate glass and silicone as building materials, going so far as making his cabinets out of plate glass with the hinges being beads of silicone :stare:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV6YL8lNtyM

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

The Bloop posted:

what the poo poo is going on with that island though

looks like maybe part of it has an overhang at table height as an eat-in area or whatever

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I honestly love Future Perfect / Casa Perfect's stuff.

I love this wicker chair in the corner so much:

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1650-Carla-Rdg-Beverly-Hills-CA-90210/20534525_zpid/ by Raul F. Garduno (1971), currently used as a showroom for Casa Perfect

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

There's a channel I follow on Youtube called Never Too Small that does tours of small well-designed apartments and they just put up a clip of an adorable little place in Kyiv, filmed 12 days prior to the invasion. Love the pastel colors, love the storage. I hope it and its resident survive :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atEaBRHzZkQ

this is great. such fine attention to detail. the way the designer positioned the mirror right behind the fridge, it looks like they are just pulling food out of thin air :aaaaa:

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/48-Maple-Ave-Goshen-NY-10924/31817841_zpid/ bonkers house with animal sanctuary, vet hospital, boarding and grooming facility, FSBO of course. 3D tour in the listing is required viewing.

i'm hanging out in the geodesic dome and also at this table

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

I know this lamp probably costs more than a used car but I want it anyway

yep https://www.wright20.com/auctions/2007/03/modern-contemporary-design/119

edit: i did not know about meta memphis before this post. cool stuff
https://pinupmagazine.org/articles/meta-memphis
https://www.memphis-milano.com/?s=meta+memphis

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 5, 2022

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

i replaced my lovely ikea nightstand finally, I think kreesingsons also has a componibili, it's a nice change from my other stuff, i.e. plastic and a bit more postmodern looking

yah i just picked up a used fire engine red one a little while ago. peak 1960s. it's pretty beat, it has stuck on paint and glue, and a crater where someone took a lighter to it and melted it a little :gonk: . but the price was right, it's also one of the bigger classic models from when they were made in the USA and it came with casters. it may make an appearance in the restoration thread this summer.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

fun fact some of his other dressers were in beetlejuice

https://sakujitsu.paris/side-one

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

falz posted:

An update that no one asked for - i lowered the top shelf and somehow it seems slightly better. shrug, leaving it that way now.

is your rotary phone functional

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

lmfao

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've never said this before, but not a single thing in that room works.

Reminds me of this https://instagram.com/greatartinuglyrooms

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Cool room for your psychoanalyst or whatever to come trip with you

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Grey vinyl plank sucks, and is ugly

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Not to steal any thunder from the Zillow search term of the day, but I believe this thread could use some antidote in the form of photos from a local estate sale that had a collection of untouched time capsule rooms with meticulously color coordinated department store furniture and finishes.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

falz posted:

I love it. Which Northern Midwestern state is it in?

In the Northeast, believe it or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

This is a pro watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgb8W-A13XM

Featuring the Bavinger House (rip) https://www.archdaily.com/171574/ad-classics-bavinger-house-bruce-goff.

quote:

Evoking a castle-like sense of earthy monumentality the home rises against the forested landscape, eventually reaching its ultimate point. The walls are made of locally quarried “ironstone” that is replaced intermittently with large blue pieces of glass cullet. This added extra gives a whimsical charm to this organic growth of architecture.

The spiraling roof which covers the whole of the structure is supported by cables connected to the center mast. The exterior stone walls seem to grow out of the landscape and surround the house, adding to its connection with the earth.

The interior consists of floor “pods” radiating off of the central axis. These floor planes are hung off of the walls and central support as they climb to their apex. Each pod serves a different purpose containing bedrooms, withdrawing space and study space, all of which are open to the space below unless closed off with curtains.