Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

should've put in mini-blinds a long time ago, a big upgrade over my grandma's house sheer. glad I had a designer pick out a color too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

some cool furniture, but the sheen on those kitchen cabinets would drive me insane

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got my elise lamp from pablo, which was actually quite reasonably priced. Pablo is a lighting designer in SF, most of his stuff is too futuristic (postmodern?) for me, but this really fits the space I needed it for well.

website - http://pablodesigns.com/ you can see what I mean!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why does the back of the sofa have tufts on it

and why is the floor lamp so poorly positioned

is that even a real wassily chair

so many questions and concerns

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah you definitely need to have some color

speaking of color I got this cute little table today from softline, which is a super cool danish company that makes a lot of little tables and poufs and stuff

another thing that will go great with my rug, when it arrives. it will arrive soon i swear.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

*Urkel walks in, trips over Noguchi table* did i do that

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

It's a part-time residence, no?

I think that poster may be implying that in cities like NY you have enough people rich enough where pied-a-terres are actually a thing, like oh yes I live in the hamptons, but I like to have a second home in the city because I have a bazillion dollars

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

On their "professionals site" Louis Poulsen actually has these cool diagrams for their lighting, which are really helpful, though I don't understand parts of them. My understanding is that for the polar one, you have the light source at the black square pointing "downward," so you can get an idea of the spread of the light in the oval pattern. I assume the 80/160/240/320/400 is supposed to be distance? If that was in cm that would make sense, 80 cm ~ 31 inches.

I'm guessing the second image is the same idea, just on a different measurement system - I could imagine this as the lamp pointing straight downward. I have no idea what the hell the third image is.

I like the idea of these, because buying lighting is annoying since you can't really test it out in your living area first, and if it doesn't work you have to pay a bit to return it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

barstool area has strong 1990s burger king vibes

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

take my money

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

on one hand FLOS did the arco lamp, and IC lights series. on the other hand

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the year + occupation couldn't be more apt, getting serious early 90s great clips vibes from the exterior

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

big news on the modern design front, as Muuto just introduced asteroids

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lot of cool modern stuff, much from the 40s-60s

https://www.ebay.com/usr/d-rose-mod

they have a buttocks sofa

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've never heard of Mira or George Nakashima until now, apparently the elder worked with Knoll in the 1940s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mira-Nakas...jAAAOSwQC1foWl~

uh, ok

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kreeningsons posted:

$30k seems like a lot but fwiw Antiques Roadshow appraised a nakashima bench for $60k or something a few years back. A lot of this person’s listings have that 100% above fair market value eBay markup. It’s all nice stuff individually but for my money, if I’m paying that much I expect them to bring some unique curatorial energy or inventive way of decorating to the table. Regrettably I am oversaturated with the mid century modern all time greatest hits compilation they are pulling their collection from.

Since you probably know way more about MCM than I will ever do, some of the stuff doesn't really seem to be in that category. The one thing I'm wondering about is legs on chairs, sofas, credenzas, etc. To me chrome or perforated steel is not really of that era. When I think 40s-60s MCM I think wood legs, and of course hairpins. And for wood, mainly walnut, rosewood, and teak.

They are selling a knoll chair from that era but the legs are chrome, and it just looks weird.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fl...wsAAOSwYIxe9iI5

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay. I was really just focusing on the legs. The seat is definitely what I would expect especially with the tufts. There's a place close to me that sells MCM stuff and I only ever see wood or sometimes hairpin legs.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

There is definitely a price bump if the designer or brand is well known / well established, has won awards, etc.

that being said I can't imagine spending anywhere close to five figures on any piece of furniture. My media unit was originally 2300, but I got it 60% off as a floor model. I think 2-3k for a custom built, high quality credenza on etsy is pretty reasonable.

I would imagine for most people their most expensive piece of furniture is their sofa, and for a standard (83") size you absolutely do not need to go beyond 2-3k for fabric or 5-6k for leather. And you can often get a decent discount if you are patient enough. The only reason I can see someone actually hitting 10k would be for a very large leather sectional. The new standard one from blu dot is 15k, but it is absolutely gargantuan.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Queen Victorian posted:

Also rugs. My parents have a lot of rugs but they don’t seem to want to part with any of them, which means we’ll have to buy our own. Big ones get into the five figure territory. I’m resigned to the fact that if I want a legit handmade Persian rug (and not a mass-produced fake from some Chinese factory), I’ll have to pay out the rear end for it or get lucky with someone on Craigslist or Nextdoor trying to unload one not knowing what they’re worth.

Is "big" like 12x15?

DWR does have a few 9x12 and 12x15 rugs that are 10k+, but even their Maharam ones don't get that high. Roche Bobois rugs top out around 9700. I know that's not Persian, but that's my only reference point.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

just learned the term "dropship" for someone who gets trade discounts and sets up a virtual storefront - you order from them, they order it at their discount and then ship it to you. The place on the left has everything under MSRP. And they are listed by Louis Poulson as being an official retailer.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

That seems sketch as gently caress - and then I am now reading Shopify is like, COOL - this is a GREAT idea.

https://www.shopify.com/blog/dropshipping-guide

I was definitely suspicious, but Gessato is listed on the Louis Poulson site as an authorized retailer. So at least on the legit product end I'm not worried. Seems kind of "gray market" though in terms of what they are doing.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hi. I do that for a living.
I can't say you should trust everywhere but if you're cool with absurd ship times then dropshipping is a good way to save. Just be aware that I genuinely mean absurd - I've seen upwards of 4 months before.

okay thanks. I actually just asked DWR to match the Gessato price on the Yuh lamp. The difference isn't as extreme as the AJ, it's about 10%. But they also don't charge sales tax.

do you buy the products directly from the manufacturer? If everyone could do this would this business model just disappear?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 11, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

Caveat: I work for a company that has been doing this for a much longer time than I've been in the field. (Not IDing because I would immediately be doxxed. Others may recognize it but I'll politely ask you don't ask.)
Yes, sort of. Our automated system places the orders with the manufacturer and we arrange shipping, but the product itself never passes through our hands physically. Shipped direct from the manufacturer's warehouse - this is why shipping gets absurd (if they manufacture in China you bet it's taking a boat over after you order), though the shipping fees are usually kept pretty reasonable. Nothing grey market, we have a sales contract with every manufacturer or distributor.

Would opening up manufacturer orders kill the industry? Paradoxically... it would kill the little guys and the big fish would survive. Anyone out to compete with the big guys right now just has to have a lower price (actually easy for smaller sellers). You cannot compete on service quality on the same level. The biggest and most established have on-call customer support, one-on-one design advisors and more that just isn't tenable. Plus a broad range of suppliers to make up for shortcomings in any one field of products. If you fully open to public orders, the little guy loses the price advantage (why pay any middleman fee when you can pay none?) and still can't afford the support side on anything near the same level.

Plus, have you seen a plumbing manufacturer's internal documentation? I had to write my own translation guide for the last one I worked with. poo poo is arcane and Joe Public is not gonna have the patience for it. Cross that with the long lead and ship times and what is ultimately not lifechanging savings, and there's still space for a company willing to work with customers to meet their needs, because not many people will want to do it themselves.

thanks for the info. after looking around a bit it doesn't look like these places are required to disclose that they don't have the physical inventory themselves. on the gessato site they don't mention this at all, and keep the language quite vague. is this purposeful?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 11, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hell, Gessato's site makes it sound like they aren't dropshippers at all - they claim to keep stock and pack the shipments themselves... it's certainly unusual. Normally this sort of thing is telegraphed at least somewhat more clearly. We're very unambiguous on that front. I'm unfamiliar with them outside of what's been written here, though.
That said: wow, checked their site, and that is some ugly furniture.

yeah they have a lot of bizarre stuff. the whole thing is quite weird. their chair section also has some of the most blatant rip-offs I've ever seen. a bunch of fake emeco's, and of course this

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 11, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yeah, I'd feel bad offering any sort of counsel on these guys, because I frankly don't have the knowledge of this particular seller to tell you you aren't gonna get ripped off.

YD, you liked today's enough to give it to us twice? (There are some very nice houses in there.)

given that they didn't respond to a question I asked a few days ago, and also I looked them up on BBB, the discount isn't nearly enough for me to deal with them.

I did find it kind of amazing that there are basically no search results for them outside of their website, their social media, and a BBB review site.

In fact the bottom of their website has images of several magazines, like GQ and Esquire, as if they were featured there, but as far as I can tell this is a fabrication.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

okay, this concept is pretty awesome

it's a Belgian company that also makes some other furniture to store other pool stuff, like a dresser/storage unit that also stores pool cues

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 11, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

falz posted:

But the pool balls don't even fit under the table, so they and the cues would be just hanging out in your dining room?

Also can you even fit a single ball in those pockets?

I am legit curious without googling if dining height and pool height are anywhere near the same.

from their website

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

I cannot imagine having enough money to waste and loving pool enough to buy this and put it in your own home, but not having the space for an actual pool table.

... wonder if they'd sell well.

I think it's a pretty awesome concept if you like having a small space, but also really like pool

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks for that info - yeah I don't know anything about the Victorian style, but I can see how the rugs you mentioned would draw a ton of attention due to their colors and patterns. So any rug of that style is going to be a definite focal point in the room.

The rug I'm getting is going to be a focal point as well, it's a three stripe rug, and it actually really stands out, which is uncommon for modern rugs. But I'm coordinating my living room around it.

https://www.bludot.com/right-on-rugs.html

The actual rug is darker than in the pic - they use very bright lighting when doing staging pics.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

painting a ceiling sounds terrible, do you have any pics of it right now?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think you really need to wait until the room is done, and you have your furniture in there. Then decide on wall paint. Then after that is done, decide on the ceiling. Are you able to leave the ceiling unfinished prior to that?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

moving onto finding a small table, looking for white, 32-36", pedestal style. I love Saarinen but not THIS much.

the left is just white laminate, and the right is white MDF

the "standard" Saarinen table has a marble top

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was thinking this was a Bertoia - specifically it's the bird lounge chair, which looks very comfy and also very difficult to get out of

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah my complete lack of knowledge on new home construction is showing

don't use apps, they will never display the color correctly. The only way to truly know how a color will look is to get samples and paint it on various walls, and see how it looks at various times of day. find a few different options and paint some 2x2 foot squares. You really need the furniture in the room to see how it goes with the paint.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

The SW app is useful as a starting point but it can only get you in the ballpark of the color you want.

There was another post about choosing paint recently and someone suggested buying a bunch of 2' x 2' drywall patches and painting those instead of the walls. That way you don't have to worry about it showing through on the later paint and you can carry it to different places to get different looks at it.

yep, though I don't think showing through should be an issue if you use the proper number of coats. The paint samples I did in my bathroom are not visible at all underneath the paint I chose. I would definitely paint samples directly on the wall if possible.

Vintersorg posted:

Whites
========
Arcade White - SW7100
Greek Villa - SW7551
Ice Cube - SW6252
Zircon - SW7667
High Reflective White - SW7757

you're going to notice an enormous difference between the last two just because of the vastly different light reflective values. Zircon is 59, which is just a bit above average. High reflective white is 93, which is REALLY high - this is something I see on the walls of modern furniture stores, along with very bright lighting.

The more natural light your room takes in, the lower LRV you're going to want. I would start with those two, and ice cube since it's in the 70s. You should also setup the lighting you plan to have in the room if possible, as that will change how the paint looks at night of course.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 12, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

This is an insanely detailed post and I wish I could bring you along when we pick colours. :aaa:

Thank you! I will nix the last white - I thought it was just the name. :3:

If you are able I would hire an interior designer who specializes in color/paint selection.

Baneling Butts posted:

Speaking of apps, which one(s) do people recommend for doing things like playing with furniture designs and layouts, looking at wall colors, etc? Our house is currently a blank slate and I want play around with different ideas before committing.

I use roomstyler, which is nothing super fancy but works well and is free. here's my living room from the top down view, but they obviously won't have ever piece of furniture on the planet, so you have to use substitutes for things. for example my sofa isn't this color. But you can always find something in the dimensions you are interested in and so it's good for layout planning.

there's also a camera view where you can take a "photo" of the room.

As mentioned above, try to avoid using apps for anything involving color decisions.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah I had my interior designer order me a really nice, thick felt rug pad from Surya

can the rug pad itself be cleaned in the same way you clean the rug? It's inevitable my dog will pee on it at some point, so it will soak through.

My rug plan is warm water and white vinegar blotting, then leave baking soda on for a bit before vacuuming up to deal with the odor.

Queen Victorian posted:

That’s a really nice rug. It is indeed nice to see one that’s not afraid of color - it does seem like most modern rugs are neutral-colored or otherwise muted.

Besides the lack of color "trend" I'm guessing a lot of people want to emphasize certain pieces of furniture, in which case a colorful rug could distract from that. If for example I had a bright red womb chair or sofa, I would probably not pick a rug that stood out.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DWR let me borrow the Yuh lamp for a day so I could see how it worked in my space. Oh god it's so beautiful

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

falz posted:

Why is there an obnoxious cord dangling down it's back tho

I actually really like that it changes shape based on how you adjust the lamp.

Anytime you have something with a ton of flexibility, there will be some visible cordage. The light moves up and down the pole, as well as being angled outward and then rotated horizontally. I don't think there's any way to do that logistically if the cord stays in the pole. The height can go as far down as where the cord goes inside.

anglepoise is a good example of that concept, except they keep the entire cord on the outside, not just the part required, and their cords are always black - they don't color match them to the lamp.

https://www.anglepoise.com/catalog/product/view/id/766/s/type-75-floor-lamp-slate-grey/category/15/

This is the other light I'm considering - this one the cord isn't visible, but that's because the connection point is static - the light rotates from a fixed point, and doesn't adjust in other ways this one can.

https://www.muuto.com/product/Leaf-Floor-Lamp--p2227/p2227/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm happy to be proven wrong if you can show me a lamp that does all those movements with the cord completely hidden inside the tube

also for me, I really like it, because the cord's shape actually reflects the positioning of the light. I haven't ever seen the cord itself as a design element before.

edit: this is the other lamp I'm considering https://www.muuto.com/product/Leaf-Floor-Lamp--p2227/p2227/

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kreeningsons posted:

I like a little exposed cord personally. As a treat.

I usually don't because that seems to be more of an "industrial" vibe like with those anglepoise lamps, but here I think it fits. I will say that I think the cord looks better when the light is at it's maximum height, where it's mostly parallel to the pole. But if you lower it enough it sticks out quite a bit, which is a bit more awkward imo.

I am going to try to find a place with the muuto lamp on display before making my final decision. There is one thing that is really bothering me about this lamp, basically because they had the pole be so thin, the base, albeit heavy, isn't heavy enough to stop the pole from wobbling a bit for a few seconds when you adjust the fixture. This absolutely should not be happening on a lamp that costs this much. I'm wondering if it's one of those form over function things going to far - maybe they didn't want to make an extremely heavy base.

the captain flint from FLOS has a marble base, and that's solid as hell (but definitely out of my budget).

FLOS does have the tab which is much more reasonably priced, but has several design flaws, unfortunately.

1) 43" tall which is a bit too short for a reading lamp
2) no built-in dimmer
3) on/off on the cord instead of on the fixture (terrible design, especially if you want to hide the cord behind or underneath furniture like many people do).

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 14, 2021