Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Wood stove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Your "engineer" friend isn't of any help. There is no 100V-DC system anywhere on your van. Edit: getting A and V wrong kills people.

A 100Ah "1380Wh" deep cycle battery will be good for ~50% of that due to its chemistry. See Peukert's law.
So lets take 100Ah * 1/2, that leaves you with 50Ah capacity to work with.
.5C you speak of is is 25Ah 25Ah*12V is ~300Wh. a basic battery power tool? sure. Heated blanket? 2-5 hours depending. CPAP machine? ~5 hours. All this poo poo at once? not on your life, kid.
These times are all perfect scenarios, That inverter is probably 80% efficient at best, so your run time is going deeper into the timbershitter.
Vent the battery to atmosphere, not internally to the coach as it emits hydrogen during charging.

A Ford 1G alternator in good health should be good for 20-30A at idle, 2/3G around 40ish. 1G alternators tend to overheat. and the full 80A at 1500 engine rpm or so. (5000 alternator rotor rpm). Its an econoline, go get the heavy duty ambo parts.

Want to run big power? 4x golf cart batteries in a 2S2P array at minimum.

tldr: a single deep cycle battery isn't worth poo poo, and your "engineer" friend is wrong, stop listening to them.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 25, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rytheric posted:

The problem is that I do have professionals giving me advise and designing things for me.

Yet

Rytheric posted:

Well more unfortunate news. I accidently depleted the groverBattery to the point my inverter doesn't want to charge it (Left my outlets on and the inverter drains the battery anyway.) And I'm too lazy to crank up the engine right now and don't want to wake the neighbors anyway. Luckily it's raining so it's going to stay roughly 39 throughout the night. So roughly 50-55 in the box so I should be good. Need a switch to disconnect everything so I don't accidently drain my battery in the future.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

300 ft lbs is like.....not any sort of big deal on a vehicle. With hand tools.

Seriously. You can get that much torque just by pushing down on your morning piss-hard.
Careful to not blow your legs out from under you.

E Pictoral references for help.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 28, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you think you're going to pull apart the Twin Traction Beam with no special tools for those springs at all, think again. Lemme introduce you to another law, Hooke's law.

Those coils will righteously gently caress up your day if you think you're just gonna pop apart the TTB with cinderblocks and babbies first socket set. The hogged to poo poo shocks constrain the movement of those arms.

What's best is there's probably two tons pushing down on that axle right now on top of all this janky poo poo you propose.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rytheric posted:

Yeah, so disclaimer this is all youtube stuff. But the idea is to just lift it up until the suspension droops, take off the shock then pull the spring out. Ive used people use c clamps or just a screw driver.

Here is a video of them taking it off between the 4 and 5 minute mark. Note that some of it doesn't look safe. I don't like the lack of attention to where their hands and arms are.

https://youtu.be/C_HAnqPw_TY

Wrong method. As soon as you pull the shocks the springs have free reign to push those arms down as far as they can. If you are under the arm, it'll push it right through you without a single gently caress given.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

DO NOT DO THIS DEAR loving GOD NO DO NOT USE CLAMPS OR ANYTHING NOT RATED FOR THE SPRING OR THE GODDAMN JOB

THESE ARE NOT TOYS THEY WILL loving KILL YOU.

Pay someone with a lift and the tools to do this job, it is not worth the risk of injury. Or the risk that you might not know the correct way to do something and make your car into a ticking time bomb that kills you or someone else. I do not give a poo poo if your PFC buddy says he knows, or you have the manuals for repairs, this is specifically a job for a trained mechanic that knows F350s and understands the quirks. PAY SOMEONE

Do this. I'm not making GBS threads you.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rytheric posted:

Thats a good piece of information. The guy was a bit more concerned about how tuff he was to give decent information, but after you pointed it out. It looks like they were using the bottle jack to slowly lower the spring. But I can see that if you accidently let the pressure out of the jack too fast or didn't jack the vehicle up enough you'll have problems.

I seen plenty of safety issues in that video that concerned me. So no worries I'm not following that guy.

Right, and if the jack is on dirt, leaves, primitve ground, likely hood of it sliding out goes up 10 fold. These lads are working on a cement pad in a shop. A piece of dirt is not the place to re-enact such a job. With unladen TTB arms and you're right there pulling bolts off the shock you are inches from the spring. The spring containing at least a half ton of energy. Where's it gonna go? out. And it's gonna do it fast, with little regard to anything in its path.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yawgmoth posted:

I just want everyone to know that everyone in this thread has been saying reign (to rule over) when they mean rein (that thing you use to guide a horse). The phrase "free rein" means to let the horse go where it wants to.

Good catch, Thanks!

Rytheric posted:

All that aside. Could someone tell me what the exhaust is suppose to look like. It just ends. In the middle. Under the truck. That doesn't seem natural. My grandpa busted out laughing when I told him that over christmas.

It should cross over the rear axle and terminate at the side of the upfitter body somewhere behind the right rear wheel. Any muffler shop can get it sorted out.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

This thread was a lot of fun before people decided to endlessly wet blanket all over it

OP, repost the thread in GBS so people can watch the insanity of you building a fire pit in a truck instead of having posters endlessly arguing about the proper jib cuts and torque wrenches or whatever the hell they are always on about

Sorry to have ruined your snuff fetish.

I've seen enough near fatal incidents for one short lifetime. There's no reason for someone to undergo life changing or even ending injuries for the hahas of a dead gay comedy forum.

beep-beep car is go posted:

First smart thing I’ve seen in this thread. Now sell the telescope and buy a clapped out RV for 2 grand and live in that! :v:

jyessssss Old ambo/classB/classC.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Anal-ysis in bold.

Rytheric posted:

And now we peer into the dark, mysterious recesses of the GroverTruk underbelly. Timg-ed for your pleasure.

Spring pack isolators are healthy looking. Bushing in the eyelet where the mount to frame is off center, suggest new bushings on the springs. Replace the shock.

Ujoints and slip yoke look dry. Grease those. Center support bearing looks pretty crusty but can be ignored for now.

The inner Twin Traction Beam to cross member bushings suck to replace, farm that out. Shock bushing is shot, replace both shocks. The spring can be ignored

Better view of the lovely shock bush. Again replace both. Not pictured is the radius arm to frame bushing. Farm that out with the ttb-pivot bushing. They too suck to replace in the field.

Now. To align ttb takes some wizardry and a little witchcraft. With old parts its almost impossible to get them setup perfect so that they don't eat tires.
Ball joints, Tie rod ends, the previously mentioned pivot and radius arm bushings are the minimum. Front sway bushings optional though recommended.
Rear axle: shocks, shackle bushings, leaf pack bushings, and sway bar bushings will get that up to servicable condition. Bonus is to re-arch those springs, If you're gonna go that far, stick new front coil springs in. SD Truck Spring has good deals on springs.

It is safe to do shocks and sway bar bushings on this vehicle with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension. E: wheels installed and on the ground. Expect the shock uppers to fight you. Bring heat (torch), a sawzall (to cut the shaft), and vise-grips to clamp onto the shock shaft. Cut the plastic dust cover off and clamp onto it. Hit the upper shock nut with a ton of penetrant and go to town.

Cost to farm this out? expect a minimum a grand or a few to get the suspension sitting pretty and up to snuff. Have the rear differential serviced while they're in there. Is it worth it? ehhhh 351(5.8L)/460(7.5L) powered box trucks aren't terribly desirable.
This is a nearly 30 year old fleet(Pre-97 dash) vehicle that has clearly spent some time sitting and longer time without fleet service. It will cost $$$$ to get it back up and running as good as it once was.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Grip trucks are totally different animals than small box trucks.
btdt.
E:

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 1, 2021