Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I know this isnt exactly 3d printing but I bought a laser cutter to start doing MDF terrain, and I made a little house in CAD that im really happy with so far :3: need to figure out a roof and poo poo but hell yeah, petite house

then when my laser cutter arrives in a few days, its cutting poo poo with the power of light time

queeb fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

BlackIronHeart posted:

Hell yeah, lasers are loving rad. We like using chipboard as a top layer to hide the finger joints and add some depth to our buildings. It's pretty cheap and cuts very easily.

yeah it seems like doubling up on the outsides can add so much flavor and stuff. Do you sell your terrain? I figured i might take a shot at it if i can come up with cool poo poo, but nobody will want to buy my little square houses so these are just for me for now haha.

edit:

the roof should lift right off with this setup i think, this is with one panel hidden

i have no idea if fusion 360 is the right program for this but hey, its working ok

queeb fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 4, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I think that's my plan too, to import the dxf to illustrator, but ive never used illustrator before so that's a whole new ballgame on how to get engraving lines and stuff on. Fun to learn as I go though!

i added some fun to the front, the 2nd layer really spices it up, wow.

also drat dude that tree is amazingly good. And the dish, man. So much cool stuff i need to look in to.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i went with a glowforge basic to start, i figured if i cant pay it off via doing hobby sales then its not worth going for something even bigger and better haha.

Edit:

H O U S E

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Chainclaw posted:

What are your plans for painting? I was originally laser cutting my Warhammer terrain, but I wasn't happy with how the wood was absorbing the paint, so I switched to 3D printing for terrain.

I think im just going to engrave a pattern right on it and keep it unpainted, but i'll proabbly attempt a paint on one at some point.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah that makes me wonder what these guys use to paint:

https://warsen.al/

they sell it in mdf but maybe the painted models they use are acrylic or something.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so im not just posting mdf stuff, i've been printing a ton of other stuff too:

i painted this

and these

oh and this

but now i wanna play with LASERS

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Done! I need to figure out a door, but this should be a fun test of the cutter when it comes tomorrow/tuesday!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i made dis

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Looks great! What program are you using?

poo poo sorry i missed this, fusion360, with the mapboardspro addon to flatten the design to output to an svg, then i took that into illustrator

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i added some stuff to my house

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hahaha, im going to do a lengthwise house now with the door ont he side, ill see if i can figure out a chimney!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i made these tonight too, this is fun

(i dont have any scifi minis to fit the theme lol)

queeb fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 15, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Thinking about doing a run of condition markers for my little etsy shop to sell with the laser cutter, what style do you guys like better? I think im partial to the 2 words, 2 icons, seems less busy.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

been playing with making some dungeon tiles that feel like old D&D maps, its basically programmer art right now but i kinda like em so far!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Glowforge basic, a Wacom tablet and illustrator haha. Super fast too, it can cut like 2 tiles a minute

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

double post but im kinda excited about this, i painted one with a quick like 15 second paintjob and they actually look kinda dope?!

i feel like im on to something here, if i cut a set of like, 30 tiles, painted them all up like that or similar, packed them as an unpainted set but advertised them with a paintjob as a "heres what it could be" kinda thing, i feel like im ight be able to sell a bunch, especially cheap since its probably like $4 in materials to cut 30 tiles.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Lumpy posted:

Spend an extra minute putting on some texture with a sponge to make it even more "omg these will be sooooo coooooool" Not that they aren't already so cool that is.

good call, drat i excited about these

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this is my first foray into it and im way more impressed/excited than i expected to be haha. I'm excited at the prospect of selling it too, i feel like there's a million dungeon tiles and people who sell them out there but just a cheap, fast, but cool looking flat tile you can fit in a padded envelope and lay out a classic dungeon with is a much more interesting market to approach. we'll see anyways, gonna paint up a run of these and see what they look like all together!

edit: I'm one of them too, i've made a few grand selling 3d printed dragonlock tiles but, when you think printing 30 tiles takes a day or two, and you sell them for ~100 bucks, or you cut 30 of these tiles which takes 15-20 mins and sell them for $30, im sure there's some DM's and stuff out there that just want a quick solution to toss down to map something out.

queeb fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 21, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i bought it with etsy money from selling D&D stuff, i figure it'll pay itself off if i hit something that sells well.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Guest2553 posted:

If you can figure out something like that in cobblestone I can't say I wouldn't throw down some cash for it. 15mm cobblestones roads are way too expensive so I've been using gray felt, so can't be the only one.

Maybe I should just get a laser cutter, lol.

Yo gimme some specs and I'll whip something up for you, I'm on a creative journey right now and that sounds fun.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

more realistic or more exaggerated style? top v bottom.

im leaning more exaggerated and cartooney just for ease on the eyes over a table of like 40 tiles or something.

queeb fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 22, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I just ordered a glowforge myself. Are the bespoke materials just nice to haves or are they pretty much required. Got a 500 dollar gift certificate with the glowforge so will get to try out a bunch of stuff. If I want to make little wooden decorations and door rounds I imagine that has to be easiest and most common use case?

I use MDF from a lumber yard near me that is crazy nice, and cheap. It's like 1.80 Canadian per sheet that fits the glowforge. Or 19.95 basically for a 4x8' sheet and they charge a buck a cut so I just pay them to stack 3 or 4 sheets and cut em all at once to 20x12" squares. it's 1/8" so it cuts super fast on the glowforge. I dont mind a bit of cooking of the surface of the material because i find it gives it some color/charm, feels old map style kinda. You can mask it yourself if you want.

dialling in on the art style i want to do for the first little set of tiles, i really like it now. messing with stair ideas now too.

I think eventually if i can sell these I may look into making them more 3d, like doing walls and stuff but I think there's charm in sticking to a strictly flat surface except for door tokens and stuff.

queeb fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 23, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah i believe they specifically carry this brand at the lumber mill I go to because its safe to laser cut, and cuts really quality. I'll double check next time im in there for the brand.

Guest2553 posted:

I'll try and throw some thought at it over the weekend. I have no experience designing something like this and would just be making it up, if rough measurements and a vague description are enough to go by!

Also would lean towards exaggerated features for the same reasons, it wouldn't really look out of place in anything on the realistic-to-cartoony spectrum imo.

Hell yeah, rough measurements and vague descriptions is totally fine.

queeb fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 23, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Here's a fun one. Someone wanted to buy a building I had, but printed down to 15mm scale, from its original 32mm. Huge shrink. It had some very intricate window things that when shrunk just would not print as it became too fine. THe guy was really nice and still wanted it even with the fucky windows, but I dont want to send something like that, so I said gimme a day or two and some CAD time and ill see what I can do.

Pretty happy with these! They fit first attempt, and hell, I think they look nicer than the original ones lol. I might prime them grey to match but I'll see what the dude that bought it wants, but yeah, really happy!

here's the fail

and the new ones i made:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I've been a printing and painting machine the last week

current work in progress i should have done tonight:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so im trying to think of things to differentiate my shop from the billion others selling 3d printed dungeon terrain poo poo, i think im gonna try and leverage my resin and 3d print setup i have going right now and sell like complete encounter kits, like a room that contains all the scatter pieces, minis and tiles you need to just slap a room down with your existing dungeon, or just by itself.

ediT: something like this

queeb fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 9, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah lychee slicer is really drat good. And yeah, i just tilt the model back a bit, do heavy supports on non visible places like the feet and butt or other places on the bottom you cant see, mediums on higher up islands, lights scattered around for extra support.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

made a thing

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i only know the ones that actually sell the stuff like ttcombat or pworks, i havent seen one selling files to print :(

messing around with a modular path thing too, so many ideas.

queeb fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 17, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Silhouette posted:

You could make some decent money selling roads for Gaslands

Dang yeah, it's almost perfect, could make big long pieces to make a track. Is there a general guideline on road sizes for gaslands?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Silhouette posted:

IIRC it's something like 4 1/2" for a 4 lane road, 1" per lane and 1/2" for the dividing line

Edit: but a little bigger is usually better, since there's no standard road size

awesome, I might play around with a 4" 2 lane road, allowing shoulders on either side, see how that looks planned out. 4" x 10" long pieces, fit 4 on a board. think pre-engraved lines on it is worth it?

something like that is 4" across, gives 1.4" per lane, has a shoulder, 10" long, totally paintable and can beat it up to make it look like a worn road, but could also sell em just blank, just the tiles.

edit: when i get ideas i just need to do them right away lol

queeb fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 18, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

What do you guys think is the best target market for MDF terrain things? I'm figuring either modern stuff or 40k, since those actually need terrain. D&D and pathfinder and other medieval a stuff doesn't seem as much of a market as wargaming things.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hell yeah thanks for the tips everyone. Now to get to planning stuff out. I'll probably do it all in fusion360, my most comfortable progam and its easier to build stuff in 3d and see exactly whats needed. I guess illustrator and the like would be good for simple things but CAD is hard to beat for making tabbed buildings and stuff. ill probably spam this thread for ideas and also goondeal you all stuff if you want any of it for just shipping and materials cost since you're all amazing.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Well, I just potentially landed a deal with a big local game shop to produce minis and FDM prints, one that has a massive online presence as well. Talking like 100k+ online sales and things. I'm majorly excited. I'm gonna need more room.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Luckily for the most part the store already has a ton of merchant licenses to stuff like artisan guild, highland miniatures, vae victus, I just happened to be in there at the right time chatting with the employees and the owner, they used to sell a bunch of it and then their 3d print guy had to bail for personal reasons a few months ago and none of them felt like dealing with the 3d print thing. I was like poo poo i have like 3 resin printers, 4 fdm and i can scale up if needed since i have the room, next think you know my side hustle is becoming a bit more legit of a thing haha.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

The Eyes Have It posted:

Old reply, but this is a super clever solution. Nice work!

thanks! The dude that bought it loved it so it worked out well.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man I know auto supports are bad, but I ran a model through prusas auto orient and auto Sport and it honestly came out way better than lychees attempts. So needs sanity checks but man as a starting point I'm very impressed

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i've used a pretty beat to poo poo FEP and still got great results so its probably still OK

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

crossposting from the 5e thread:

do you guys think there's enough people doing in-person D&D with actual dungeon tiles to make a go at selling full on tile sets and stuff? I've been doing tons of painting and printing for my own campaign but i wonder if theres more of a shift to VTT's and all that. I mean dwarven forge shows people still buy tons of stuff, and looking at etsy people are selling like, random doodads and terrain and individual tile sets but i don't see many selling actual big complete kits of stuff. I could easily make a full on rebrand hideout or cragmaw, stuff like that with all the random thousands of dungeon tiles and stuff I have accumulated to print.

or do you think people lean more towards just building things for neat encounters and not an entire dungeon or whatever, which i kinda find myself doing lately

I think I've sold around 100 random things off my Esty shop but I don't really want to be a shop that just adds 3000 random rear end terrain things and renders and prints them on demand, id rather make cool dungeon rooms or outdoor encounters and sell those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah its easy enough for anyone to just post random dungeon tiles, but having actual cool rooms and dungeon in a box style things would be neat. plus there is SO much cool stuff out there, openlock and dragonlock style that you can get real weird with it.

aether studios has an insane amount of dragonlock stuff, plus drivethrurpg has a massive amount of remixed dragonlock stuff too.

https://aether-studios.com/