Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean to be honest they had plans. They had a bunch of plans. Sukuna has survived like 3-4 "this would absolutely 100% for sure loving kill anyone else out there" situations. That is why people are getting frustrated because the groups aren't just going in and dying randomly, they have plan after plan after plan and Sukuna just nosells things or gets out on a previously unestablished rule or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

this is very sad

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
What plan would you have for Sukuna really? Dude’s a walking god and he doesn’t have any obvious weaknesses like kryptonite or whatever. Pretty sure the fight would be a gigantic meat grinder no matter what the “plan” was

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

What plan would you have for Sukuna really? Dude’s a walking god and he doesn’t have any obvious weaknesses like kryptonite or whatever. Pretty sure the fight would be a gigantic meat grinder no matter what the “plan” was

I mean they had a lot of great ones. Judgeman, Maki stabbing his rear end from behind in secret, Yuji getting through to Megumi, all of those could have won the day on their own, Gojo wearing him down to nothing, etc. He's insanely strong but he isn't a god.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Not that I completely disagree but who is this person and why should I care about their opinion in particular.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Not that I completely disagree but who is this person and why should I care about their opinion in particular.

According to their bio they are "Otaku Scum", I think the point of posting that is that japanese fans can be seemingly as frustrated at these developments as foreign ones

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

buggy the clown could beat him

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i like the current arc. it's great.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerkface posted:

According to their bio they are "Otaku Scum", I think the point of posting that is that japanese fans can be seemingly as frustrated at these developments as foreign ones

so rkd is so desperate for validation that they’re fishing up Twitter takes from overseas

Oh Snapple! posted:

this is very sad

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Thanks for the random Twitter opinion but have you considered this one?

https://twitter.com/sharkflan/status/1771226416064971165?t=KqIK4F4GH3b_pRZK__7P9g&s=19

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You shouldn't care about their opinion, but I do think it's interesting that part of the Japanese audience feels the same way, especially since criticism here is sometimes blamed on a misunderstanding or ignorance of Japanese culture. The same sentiment is also echoed on several Japanese forums, and the tweet also got a considerable amount of likes (whatever that's worth).

Oxxidation posted:

so rkd is so desperate for validation that they’re fishing up Twitter takes from overseas

I saw the tweet discussed in an article and thought it was interesting. If I needed validation there's plenty in this thread already, but if you like the current arc then more power to you.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
How did that get to 11 million views?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

No Wave posted:

How did that get to 11 million views?

Twitter's interaction and viewing numbers are profoundly hosed and not really representative of its reach these days.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I know everyone is tired of "grr Musk Man bad" but the engagement bait on Twitter is truly out of control since they let people buy visibility boosters and stopped banning bot accounts.

Reminder that there's a setting to hide if you bought Twitter Blue.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 25, 2024

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

This really is the Freeza fight all over again, with the heroes coming up with plan after plan against a single overwhelming foe only for the villain no sell them by pulling powerup after powerup out of his arse. But DBZ fans are way more used to sudden asspulls compared JJK fans.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DBZ is just better actually

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
2 interesting quote tweets of that posted tweet from japanese fans

One was that there can be 2 potential types of these shounen manga one where the author has a broad story plan and writes to follow it to a specific ending (something like One Piece or whatever where there is a clear goal) and one where the author writes what they like at the time without a real ending in mind (they put HxH and JJK in this category) - and that the latter suffers the moment it becomes boring to the reader.

The other was kinda to this point:

golden bubble posted:

This really is the Freeza fight all over again, with the heroes coming up with plan after plan against a single overwhelming foe only for the villain no sell them by pulling powerup after powerup out of his arse. But DBZ fans are way more used to sudden asspulls compared JJK fans.

The tweet basically said the Gojo vs Sukuna fight was such a climax that it would be understandable for whatever comes after to not be as exciting, and what they really need is some huge narrative shift like Yuji whipping out a big power up or something to create a new climax. We're in the denouement of the gojo fight basically and it hasnt been trending up. Where is super saiyan yuji?

I liked seeing the opinions of the jp fans.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 25, 2024

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

golden bubble posted:

Frieza also saved Goku for the end, which kept the viewer hoping that The Best Fighter might have something that could turn the tide (and then he went Super Saiyan and did) while this opened by killing Gojo. It's like if they just kept throwing in more Krillins to die after Goku failed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerkface posted:

2 interesting quote tweets of that posted tweet from japanese fans

One was that there can be 2 potential types of these shounen manga one where the author has a broad story plan and writes to follow it (something like One Piece or whatever) and one where the author writes what they like at the time (they put HxH and JJK in this category) - and that the latter suffers the moment it becomes boring to the reader.

The other was kinda to this point:

The tweet basically said the Gojo vs Sukuna fight was such a climax that it would be understandable for whatever comes after to not be as exciting, and what they really need is some huge narrative shift like Yuji whipping out a big power up or something to create a new climax. We're in the denouement of the gojo fight basically and it hasnt been trending up. Where is super saiyan yuji?

I liked seeing the opinions of the jp fans.

I mean they introduced Super Saiyan Yuji, it is whatever his body swap technique is. Which I think contributes a bit to the "Just get to it already" thing because we know what's there and the plot isn't going to get resolved until Yuji swaps a body.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

I mean they introduced Super Saiyan Yuji, it is whatever his body swap technique is. Which I think contributes a bit to the "Just get to it already" thing because we know what's there and the plot isn't going to get resolved until Yuji swaps a body.

Yea but this could go on the pile of "stuff that was teased but ultimately gets ignored/doesn't matter" which this manga has built an entire graveyard ontop of right - you'd think it would have been used at any point recently here Yuji was fighting.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
it’s been Yuji fighting the whole time. He’s been body hopping between characters and ditching right before they get mulched. That explains why everyone keeps losing since Yuji’s win record for the series is completely cursed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Yea but this could go on the pile of "stuff that was teased but ultimately gets ignored/doesn't matter" which this manga has built an entire graveyard ontop of right - you'd think it would have been used at any point recently here Yuji was fighting.

Like to be 100% honest I'm pretty sure it is behind held off because it's a suicide technique in that Yuji will swap with Megumi and then (fulfilling the prophecy of the story) he will die to take out Sukuna, and Megumi needs to be willing to get yanked out for that to work.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ImpAtom posted:

Like to be 100% honest I'm pretty sure it is behind held off because it's a suicide technique in that Yuji will swap with Megumi and then (fulfilling the prophecy of the story) he will die to take out Sukuna, and Megumi needs to be willing to get yanked out for that to work.
Yuji for Megumi is a terrible trade. I reject it.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i do appreciate that in wanting to save megumi, yuji is defying not only his comrades but as far as I can tell most fans (who don't dislike megumi but don't seem to really care). nice little bit of synchronicity

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

this makes sense. they've been going down the list of abilities trying to find a way to save Megumi. Maki came in when it became obvious that wasn't going to happen. Maki was knocked away and Kusakabe stepped in. the fight itself is moving very quickly but seems slow because we are reading week to week. from the death of Gojo til now it's been what like an hour or so? it's not like Sukuna took a time out

there's also the dangling thread of what Ui Ui is ultimately up to. which wraps around to a greater backup plan. I want full crazy to happen and the good guys to pull a bad guy move. start using the bodies and blood for some ritual or binding vow

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lih posted:

this is just getting really silly at this point lol

like whatever gege is going for it surely doesn't need to be this drawn out with sukuna individually destroying every single character who's ever appeared

Glasses girl from Yuuji's occult club shows up next to face Sukuna

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

this makes sense. they've been going down the list of abilities trying to find a way to save Megumi. Maki came in when it became obvious that wasn't going to happen. Maki was knocked away and Kusakabe stepped in. the fight itself is moving very quickly but seems slow because we are reading week to week. from the death of Gojo til now it's been what like an hour or so? it's not like Sukuna took a time out

there's also the dangling thread of what Ui Ui is ultimately up to. which wraps around to a greater backup plan. I want full crazy to happen and the good guys to pull a bad guy move. start using the bodies and blood for some ritual or binding vow

Not going to lie, if Gojo came back as a Panda core it would be the only way I wouldn't think it was lame.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

ImpAtom posted:

I mean to be honest they had plans. They had a bunch of plans. Sukuna has survived like 3-4 "this would absolutely 100% for sure loving kill anyone else out there" situations. That is why people are getting frustrated because the groups aren't just going in and dying randomly, they have plan after plan after plan and Sukuna just nosells things or gets out on a previously unestablished rule or whatever.

Care to give examples of these previously unestablished rules?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Conspiratiorist posted:

Care to give examples of these previously unestablished rules?

Judgeman confiscates a cursed tool instead of your CT first.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Judgeman is the only sequence that has made me go bullshit. Everything else has been ranging from fine to great.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be fair when I hear confiscate and someone has a weapon, I normally assume the weapon will be taken first.

It was explicitly something that caught them off guard cause they had not tested that situation.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
JJK has finally reached to its logical conclusion: the story has become Mortal Kombat.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair when I hear confiscate and someone has a weapon, I normally assume the weapon will be taken first.

It was explicitly something that caught them off guard cause they had not tested that situation.

It is a complication that can make sense cropping up writing wise no doubt. To your first point i would contend we were told it was CT confiscation so it's not like it was more broadly described and open to interpretation. I would also think that carrying a weapon into the court room is against the rules and it would have been taken away just on principle.

The story also gave them ample time to test Judgeman. They had a genius cooking it up and like 1 million cursed tools. Though i don't think that's necessarily a writing failure but he leaves himself open to these kinds of criticisms with the way he's handling it.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

It is a complication that can make sense cropping up writing wise no doubt. To your first point i would contend we were told it was CT confiscation so it's not like it was more broadly described and open to interpretation. I would also think that carrying a weapon into the court room is against the rules and it would have been taken away just on principle.

The story also gave them ample time to test Judgeman. They had a genius cooking it up and like 1 million cursed tools. Though i don't think that's necessarily a writing failure but he leaves himself open to these kinds of criticisms with the way he's handling it.

I thought Judgeman was basically a death sentence if they were found guilty? so who wants to test the theory out?

as for the weapon confiscation before entering court that would have meant both defendant and accuser would lose their cursed tools. so I could see it not applying. plus there's no bailiff which is why would have done that in the first place

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I thought Judgeman was basically a death sentence if they were found guilty? so who wants to test the theory out?

Higuruma can just... not use the sword if he's testing the Domain's ins and outs.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Higuruma can just... not use the sword if he's testing the Domain's ins and outs.

right well that also assumes there's no negative effect for doing so. I think they spent their whole time trying to figure out the legalese on how to get Sukuna but not Yuji. not testing the full scope of what Judgeman would do in various scenarios

fake edit: thinking on it some more Judgeman seems to have a personality and might not take kindly to its' sentence not being carried out. actual judges hate not being listened to and generally punish those that annoy them enough

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 26, 2024

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Didn't seem to mind Higuruma pallin' up with Yuji.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Didn't seem to mind Higuruma pallin' up with Yuji.

Higuruma found him to actually be innocent and dispelled the technique. so why would it mind?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
They trusted Higuruma, noted jujutsu prodigy and smarty pants with an actual law degree, to know how his legalese-based Cursed Technique worked, and Higuruma himself certainly thought he knew how his legalese-based Cursed Technique worked after having used it to kill a whole bunch of people.

Nobody caught the huge fundamental red flag when he told them "Judgeman just kinda does what he wants" because he framed the problem around trying to nail the right crime. He even telegraphed that the only real rule was that Judgeman would do something that'd make to sense to him, which is exactly what happened.

I thought it was pretty funny, and a callback to the advantage of inherited techniques being they come with a manual rather than needing the sorcerer to figure them out from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
no one tested Judgeman because no one wanted to risk permalosing their cursed technique or until Higuruma stabbed you with the insta death sword. Yuruzu’s soul, and I guess Tsumiki’s by extension, is basically stuck in limbo forever now after being confiscated. I guess they could’ve found some poor sap participating in the Culling Game to test it but Kenjaku had eyes everywhere and they didn’t want to risk giving anything away.