Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
drat I hope this guy won't kick the bucket. Please Yuuji find a pacifist way to handle him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I appreciate how this "evolution" of domains mimics real science. Alchemy was really cool back then but it had to become something scientific in order to replicate results consistently, thus we don't believe in phlegm but we have chemistry and medicine.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Jesus christ what did I just read

"Don't transmit utter crap like that into my mind" is the only reasonable reaction

Char
Jan 5, 2013
First time we see Panda's stage 3, and... instagibbed. I hope Panda won't die this easily though. Also: someone has beef with Sukuna? :allears:

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Gege knows how to write pulp action :allears:

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Ok now I get why Gojo and Yuta are impressed with Hakari's powers :allears:

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Jose posted:

its a fun ability but i don't really understand how its supposed to work with what we know about cursed energy generally

Well it's easy, you throw some balls, you hit some blings and some blongs, then a whoopie! popup appears, then a blaring sound plays, the thingie lights up, and bam! infinite cursed energy.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Remember how Nanami has an overtime binding vow where he gets more cursed energy when he works past a certain time limit? Hakari's ability is that on crack with a condition tied to his domain.

Hakari either cheats the Binding Vow system, or has a contract with someone else. His faucet of power is completely broken

Char fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 27, 2022

Char
Jan 5, 2013
He's not "extremely vulerable", he's... normal? Well ok looking how Panda, Todo or, hell, Naobito got treated when in presence of true monsters, being normal is probably being "quite vulnerable". Higuruma would have a field day with this guy lol

Char
Jan 5, 2013
187 out, a bit of a filler chapter.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
189 out

I think it's game over for our boy, but I hope he's gained enough of Kashimo's respect to avoid a mutual killing. The best outcome here would be convincing Kashimo to spend his points to set up a rule to move between colonies, going to Tokyo 01 and meeting Higuruma :black101:

Char fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 24, 2022

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Pierson posted:

I want them both to live so fuckin bad.

seems like Kashimo suddenly outputted all his cursed energy to create an explosive electrolysis. Could go both ways, I guess? Also, Panda...!
Anyway, did the team get all the points Megumi thought they'd need? He didn't explain how many rules they needed to add according to his plan, and Higuruma gave away the first 100.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I recall Yuta thinking they need 400 points.

Yeah, same.
And Higuruma gave the first 100, Megumi got another 40 from Reggie, and Yuta got 200. The team doesn't actually need Kashimo's 100.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

She's become... a monster. YEAHHH GO MAKI

Char
Jan 5, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

Hakari just being like "oh yeah my arm'll grow back it's fine" gives me hope for Todo's return

drat I want to see Hakari and Todo together.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
1. the Demon Slayer toy
2. playing Pokemon
3. montage of bindle, sunglasses, all ready for a long trip! while dressed as a sumo kappa

this is good

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Final shot, Inumaki and smol Panda are back! ...but where's Higuruma? I hope the army didn't off him :(

Char
Jan 5, 2013

RatHat posted:

Yeah Higuruma never officially joined the group so it makes sense he wouldn’t be there. I don’t have high hopes for his survival though, his power seems too perfect for taking down Sukuna. I’m guessing he’ll try and Sukuna will somehow beat it and kill him anyway.

Yeah that was my thought too back then. Kashimo and Higuruma are good "despair fuel", have good anti-Sukuna chances on paper, will be killed nonetheless.
Also: no Todo :(

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Wait, Yuuji swapped souls with Kusakabe in that training segment

Char
Jan 5, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with a comparison to something like HXH is that HXH kept a fairly straightforward focus and when it introduced new characters it was because they were relevant in some fashion.

I get what you're gettig at but this is a weird way to express it, HxH has the biggest cast I can remember in any mainstream shonen I read. It always spent a huge amount of time to explain what's going on in the head of any character and the context to go with it. The four main characters, Hisoka, the Zoaldyck family, the spiders, the ant extermination squad, the ants, the princes on the ship. Hell we were left hanging watching events unfold from the point of view of a completely new character!

Char
Jan 5, 2013

scaterry posted:

I hope that if Gojo loses, the comedian is a pivotal part of defeating Sukuna because of that throwaway line that says his technique could be stronger than Gojo's lol

I thought about it too: as far as I managed to notice, in chapter 225, Takaba is not in the room

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I personally find a lot of parallels between Shibuya and the Palace attack.

Very similar vibes, full conflict resolution, the main characters are smaller fries, the whole operation turns into a desperate operation very soon, the MCs have to get past impossible odds and the whole situation is complete chaos until the threads start resolving.

Char fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 19, 2023

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Taken as a whole his domain is good but I can only really see him being some top tier sorcerer in the modern context but he's outclassed by the powerful ancient sorcerers. Had things been slightly different or had Kashimo been willing to use his cursed technique, Hakari would be dead.

Takaba is still the strongest of the crop.
drat I want to see him put against Sukuna.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Higuruma never shows anything other than his domain expansion in the fight with Yuji and I don't believe we see him fight anyone else.

No, he's only shown being one of the two sorcerors having more than 100 points after Kashimo spends his first 100.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Kusakabe meant Gojo simply "contracts space" when he hits, he has no need for black flash. Nanami meant his CT was specifically creating a weak point in a structure, compared to Gojo activating one of the many features of his CT and hitting harder than his whole weak point technique. A whole CT devoted to do a fragment of what Gojo can do casually

Char fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 5, 2023

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Lily Catts posted:

Reading the raw, did we somehow skip a chapter or what?

hm I went and read it too
Jesus Christ WHAT??? Just waiting for the thread reaction now. Anyway, the rough translation says that Sukuna took notice from Mahoraga on how to bypass infinity and used cleave on "reality" around Gojo, offing him offscreen - after all, he never managed to react neither to Sukuna's Cleave nor to the Mahoraga Cleave. He basically lost 2 chapters ago. To salt the wounds: tomorrow he's going to get sealed in the anime

Char fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 20, 2023

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

I expected him to die, but we might get to see the actual death in the future. I hope, at least. Offscreening the event after declaring Gojo the winner would be a bit...too weird. No last words to the gang and no saving of Megumi either? That's a shame. Hopefully he does what he did last time he "died" and just comes back stronger, but a part of me wishes he stays dead as well so the peanut gallery can get more fights

but
in t he official translation, it's Yuji and Kusakabe declaring him the winner. I mean, the peanut gallery has been a proxy for the viewer but it has been inconsistent in predicting what could've happened next. DAAMN what a chapter. I wonder what Kashimo can expect to do against this Sukuna though.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

wedgie deliverer posted:

Theory stuff:

Gojo had to lose for a number of reasons, but mostly because I think his character is ultimately more meaningful as a tragic figure than anything else. There are some pretty substantial Buddhist themes in the story, and I think the emotional core of this is that Gojo is too attached to both Geto and his past failures - he can't really ascend the way he did before because he can't let go. He knew he needed allies, strong and wise, but in the end he indulged a selfish desire to know and fulfill himself on his own against Sukuna, and lost his life.

Now it's on his students to try and succeed where he failed.

I agree and it's the best outcome, narratively speaking. I appreciate Akutami having the guts to off Gojo this way, and the flashback with his only real moral compass (Geto, Nanami, Haibara and principal Yaga) telling him that he hosed up a bit but he also did good in being a model for his students.
Also: Maki holding back Yuta; a highly motivated Kashimo going in. I hope he'll go FULL HAM

Char
Jan 5, 2013

yum posted:

I can't really make sense of the rough TL. Sukuna doesn't say he performed the attack, only that Mahoraga's slashing attack was different from his and that it manipulated its own CE to slash existence itself, which was impossible even for him.

My understanding

JJK told us more than once that the truly broken powers are usually those that can be applied to concepts. From what I'm inferring from the rough translation, Sukuna thought Mahoraga was some sort of cursed energy analysis entity, who could recognize the domains (in the logical sense) of un-applicability of cursed techniques; when Sukuna made it fire a Cleave, it went through, making Limitless ineffective. Sukuna decoded how Mahoraga did it - his theory confirmed, he replicated it: "apply Cleave to Reality", it doesn't matter if Gojo creates space around him. He's still creating something that is part of "reality". Probably Sukuna didn't even know he could attempt something like this, otherwise he would've killed Gojo much faster.

edit: yeah there's a better translation out there that confirms this, more or less

Char fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 20, 2023

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Jose posted:

If you're going to have a long spoilered discussiom about raws could someone link them?

https://imgur.com/a/TVBdEXl

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I imagine when this fight gets animated it’ll be just as jarring and there will be more meltdowns.

I cannot remember the last time I’ve seen a character mourned like this.

:kamina:

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Asuron posted:

Can we not do discussion until at least the scans are out? I don’t know if it’s a rule in this thread, but it is in others and it at least keeps us all roughly on the same page discussion wise

Will do.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Isn't the JJK: 0 movie pretty popular? I figured that the anime-only crowd would be more familiar with Okkutsu and Geto's whole backstory compared to manga readers during this reveal.

tbh I didn't like it that much - the manga is clearly a pilot, JJK became something bigger theme-wise, and there's little reflection of this in JJK0; the movie is a carbon copy of the manga. I would've liked seeing Todo earning his grade 1 status or Hakari clashing with the rest of the sorcery institution.

It is competently made but I felt like there was room for improvement.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Caros posted:

Oh good.

Sukuna literally had the ability to full heal (and presumably power up) at any point and just chose to save it. That sure makes the previous fight feel like had meaningful stakes and wasn't just the bad guy sandbagging for drama.

I guess the full heal would've sealed off access to ten shadows? Also: this means Megumi is one step closer to being dead, isn't he...?

Char
Jan 5, 2013
well I expected Kashimo

turning into an energy being for as long as he had CE to fuel the technique, it was the most coherent thing.

Oh well. On the other hand, Hakari manages to be the best character even when he's in a single panel.
"Can't blame ya."

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I personally think having to work with a cliffhanger every 16-20 pages is doing an author a disservice.
When I'll be re-reading the Sukuna fight one year from today, I'm pretty sure having Kashimo last 30 pages won't be anything anomalous - this is like Frieza skipping his 3rd form, in the end the narrative was to show that he was completely above any deus ex machina Vegeta, Piccolo and Gohan could pull out.

(I might be biased because I think the only two times JJK has dipped in quality were Hakari's first culling fight and Maki's random compressed training arc.)

Char fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 10, 2023

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Describing Naruto as a train wreck seems harsh. After the timeskip it got very inconsistent but hit some high highs. It gracefully glided towards a boring conclusion.

Also, it was a manga that was more enjoyable by reading volumes rather than chapters.

Now, Bleach...

Char
Jan 5, 2013

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

this is true for a lot of series. where the week over week especially for complex fights slows the series down to a crawl but on reread you blast through it

One Piece rode the "20 pages every week" format better than anything else, on average, but it's a manga where you'd never have a 13 chapters fight between two characters.

Chainsaw Man has been borderline unenjoyable in a weekly format. It's incredibly better as a volume-to-volume read.

RevolverDivider posted:

I can't really be objective about Naruto since even when it was good I found the two leads totally insufferable from start to finish but even with hilarious low points like he was the coolest guy it didn't totally collapse the way Bleach did.

Which is especially a shame since as the current show is highlighting the beginning of Bleach's final arc is excellent

I agree with you, the two main leads weren't characters that resonated much with me either, the supporting cast was more enjoyable and the highest highs to me were Itachi and Obito's threads.

Char fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 13, 2023

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Jogo was the heart and the soul of the cursed spirits. They all ended up being pawn in Kenjaku's plot, but Jogo believed.
That was way more important than being strong.

Yuki? She chose self-isolation. She didn't even manage to ever meet with Gojo.
If anything, never getting to know if anything she attempted ever had any result, other than the Geto speech, was how she was done dirty.

Char fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The anime made the Yuji Choso fight insanely cool. Cooler than it already was

we can only hope anything post-Shibuya is handled by the same team