Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

The end of this chapter is some really lazy storytelling, hope that Akutami is able to tighten up the plot a bit. Maybe he wants to focus on the action for a bit to give him time to plot out the narrative?

Have we received word anywhere on how far JJK is into its story? I can't remember of many of Sukuna's fingers Yuji has eaten, like 15-20?

Tosk fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Gege is clearly toking the blunt pretty hard for story inspiration, but hey, I feel amazing

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

The art was rough this chapter. The panel with katana man looking over his shoulder seemed comically disproportionate. Normally the chaotic paneling is a vibe but it didn't work for me much this time around, it was hard to follow what was happening.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

204 appears to have dropped early but there's a break next week

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I'm hoping she doesn't get screwed by Kenjaku's plot armor, but yeah, JJK continues to be impressive with some of the most well thought out fight sequences in shonen manga

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I'm really not sure Chouso is strong enough to pull off this distraction while Yuki heals, but I hope it works out. I wonder what Tengen is concealing about the Culling Game.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

yum posted:

I don't think Tsukomo can heal anymore since cursed energy comes from the stomach. Kenny purposefully targeted that area. Tengan has been awfully silent this entire time as well. Maybe they'll merge to try to save her which would also render Tengan immune to cursed spirit manipulation. Bad end for Tsukomo if that happens, don't trust Tengan!!

Control of RCT from the brain, cursed energy source from the stomach. Kashimo tried targeting both those reas in his fight against Hakari as they're the only weakpoints when he has infinite CE

Edit: hadn't seen your last line, was just linking to the panel where Kashimo mentions that

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

It's going to be incredibly disappointing if Gege plays it that straight, so I hope there's a reversal coming. Otherwise in my opinion it's a pretty lovely design flaw after this many generations of shonen battle manga to turn a potentially major character from the background into a jobber to force the point about their antag being a badass

edit: that said, Kenjaku is so over the top ("whew.") that it makes me think there's probably another gotcha. Tengen also might be in shock but he doesn't seem terrified. We'll see

Tosk fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 23, 2022

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

She got totally shut out on her kamikaze attack in exchange for an infodump. I get that Kenjaku's thing is that he's had centuries to learn the ins and outs of JJK logic and he can pretty much hack the system at this point but the textual justification would be easier to swallow if the context wasn't in an extremely played out shonen trope. The comparison to Pain and Konan nailed it but I still hope there's a twist..

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Still wondering if this will be reverted shortly or if the manga is going to end in the next 10 chapters

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I'm rereading the manga as, like others, I lost track of the details during the latest arc. I was checking the wiki for something and noticed that the next chapter is called Fearsome Womb part 5 - part 4 is chapter 9, where Sukuna beats the poo poo out of Megumi, asks him why he ran from the Special grade and Yuji "dies." Not a surprise or anything but pretty much a confirmation about what's happening.

edit: is there any consensus on what Itadori's cursed technique might be? the way the same language is used when he fights both Choso and Todo is clearly intentional but I wonder where the story will go with it

Tosk fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 9, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Oh really? Lmao if so then that's hilarious, I hadn't even considered it wasn't intentional because it seemed like such an obvious parallel.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

At this point, maybe Sukuna will just free Gojo when he's done with the rest of the world and wants to see if he can beat him.

Right before the battle with Kenjaku, Yuko was talking with Tengen about how she herself could have been a vessel for him. I can't help but wonder if that's gonna come back for a gotcha or if it will just be a red herring.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Chapter dropped earlier.

The lurch forward in time caught me by surprise. At this point it seems like Kugisaki is as good as confirmed dead... the manga is jumping right into the endgame. Unless she's revealed to be alive on a victory lap at the end, if we get one, or her ability is Chekhov's gun, there's basically no reason to reintroduce her at this point. If this ends up being the case then JJK's treatment of its female protagonists is going to go down as one of the shittiest parts of an otherwise excellent manga.

That said, this fight is going to be absolutely sick and I can't wait to read it. It was very interesting to see Gojo's tension. Kenjaku's villainous monologue staring into a television felt a little hamfistedly directed at the reader, and I'd say that maybe the series is rushing a little fast through these plot points towards its conclusion, but overall it's fine and I hope it ends on a high note.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 12, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

It'll be really weird if she's actually dead, because the way she died didn't feel remotely similar to the way major characters are normally killed off in shounen manga like this.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, it's just kind of surprising.

It definitely is a weird as hell way to handle that part of the story, it just seems like the most likely way for it to play out to me at this point at the same time.

Brought To You By posted:

It feels very loving weird when Everyone is just smiling and back slapping Gojo. Like there are already obvious death flags going on here because if Gojo rolls Sukuna there's not much left to wrap up with Kenjaku. But now I'm thinking Gojo gets clapped super hard based purely on the good vibes going into the fight.

I kind of disagree with that read. Gojo looked tense as gently caress walking down those stairs. I'm pretty sure the good vibes are to melt his tension away a little, they know if he gets merced by Sukuna they're all screwed. Gojo knows too.

With how fast this is all going, I kind of wonder what Gege Akutami is feeling about the series. This almost feels like they're under pressure to end or feeling some intense burnout.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 12, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Hamelekim posted:

Gojo gave Sukuna's finger to Nobara who is going to use her power to make Sukuna weak enough to be defeat in the end.

That could actually make sense. It would still suck as a plot device because of how all the women in JJK have gotten screwed over, but it would actually be a pretty smart play in-universe because her ability is uniquely tailored to a strategy like that, and the enemy has no idea that she's still alive. Even if she's too weak to damage Sukuna, she could distract him at some key moment for Gojo to land the decisive blow.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

The fact that they were killed in the same place doesn't really indicate to me that Inumaki and Yuta killed them, which also makes very little sense narratively. It's just a visual cue showing us that yes, those are the geezers back at HQ with their faces caved in.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Honestly, even though I agree that JJK is having a hard time fully sticking its landing with this back third or so of the manga, I disagree with a lot of your points. Ignoring where you're just saying "why did you kill this character I liked," I agree that Gojo's imprisonment, which was basically the motor of the story the whole time considering Kenjaku's plans, had a pretty lukewarm payout, and Gege's treatment of the women in JJK has turned out pretty dire with the trifecta of Nobara, Tsukumo and Tsumiki.

That said, JJK has always felt like a "response" to the previous generation of shonen battle manga to me in the way its internal logic works and a lot of the story beats it hits. People may or may not agree with me here but I see a lot of parallels with Naruto in particular in the first half. Did it seem like it was setting up in the beginning to be another sprawling shonen epic for its secondary characters to grow into? Maybe, although Gege might have never intended to go in that direction to begin with. Ultimately we will never know, because one of the interesting things about manga as a medium is its serial nature. Gege has been working on this for over five years. His plans might have changed a hundred times. He might be experiencing severe burnout.

The stuff you're complaining about isn't unique to JJK at all. It's the rule in these manga for secondary characters that seem important to eventually fade into the background. A lot of the "shonen conceits" you mentioned feel like they buck against keeping the secondary cast relevant - the need to constantly up the odds, buff the protagonists, etc. If anything, I think Gege has resolved most of the issues with those conceits extremely well.

He was never going to be able to give you that infinite exposition on the cool secondaries, so cutting down the cast as the story goes simply by throwing out another conceit like plot armor was a great decision imo. It would have been lame for him to set up Gojo and then undermine the idea that he's this unstoppable god among sorcerers by introducing an unknown antag with mystery powers that mercs him, but at some point he had to resolve his presence in the manga. Instead the antag's plans revolved entirely around a long con to maybe probably incapacitate him in the polar opposite of a fair fight.

I agree that when you zoom in on those decisions, the execution hasn't always been great. Imprisoning Gojo as the focus of the story and then resolving it by introducing a random character like Angel with the ability to free him was lazy. some of the aforementioned choices on which characters to consistently shitcan have been bad. The plot got kinda convoluted and it seems like it's going to be hard for the Culling Games to have a good payoff, and Gege seems like he's sick of coming up with this poo poo and just wants to give us an insane fight to lead up to the ending.

That said, I still think it's going to end its run as a solid shonen with some real issues, but overall a nice step forward for the genre in a lot of ways. hopefully next time an editor mentions to Gege that hey, maybe screwing over every woman he writes isn't great.

This back half of JJK has felt a lot more like HxH to me, or really even maybe more like Yu Yu Hakusho in terms of the vibes and aesthetic. Maybe the Togashi crash and burn is just part of the bit!

Tosk fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 23, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah I agree, it would have been better if Gege found a way to keep the plot focused on the characters he introduced in the first half, I just don't think his willingness to kill them off is a bad thing.

I agree that the quality has suffered with all these characters basically being introduced for the fights they die in. It seems like too many moving parts were introduced to the story and he couldn't bring them all together. It's a shame because it looks like Gege just wants to hurtle as fast as possible towards the finish line at this point, but who can blame him, this industry seems loving brutal. I'll definitely be paying attention to whatever he does after JJK and I hope he's not a one-hit wonder because as far as first non-oneshots go, this has been a great one to start a career.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Sukuna's face in the panel where he's sneering down at Gojo after breaking his barrier is excellent

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Mahoraga pretty much feels like a narrative device meant to be thrown at Gojo.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Thinking about JJK as a leader in the current generation of shonen manga, I actually appreciate how much it seems to have learned from the days of the big three and avoided turning itself into a massive and meandering 500 chapter manga with lots of filler. The pacing has been pretty tight, I would agree that even too tight recently. I also think it's true that the planning feels a little looser than the first half of the manga but that's just standard for this industry, it's unreasonable to expect someone to sketch out the second half of a multiple year project as well as the beginning before they even get there.

It feels like a lot of the groundwork was laid before and yes, maybe we're zooming through it a little but it doesn't feel to me like Gege is flying by the seat of his pants or anything. It remains to be seen if the Nobara write-off will have any delayed payout -- very little time has passed in-universe despite how long it's been irl, so they could just be keeping her a secret because her CT seems like an interesting ace to have up their sleeve if they can weaponize it against Kenjaku or Sukuna -- and that will be an important measure of how hard Gege dropped the ball with some stuff for me, but imo the Culling Game has just been his take on a HxH Greed Island-like arc, whereas the first half had a lot more YYH vibes to me.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

It's hilarious that Sukuna is so insanely confident that he's eager to fight the strongest sorcerer in the world and immediately face a gauntlet like Yuta, Kashimo, Hakari + everyone else while they're coordinating to take him down.

Like yeah on any other day he could low diff any two of them at once but after fighting Gojo and all at the same time? That will be fun

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair I think the gauntlet is nervous. Like Yuta's big thing is having an absurd amount of Cursed Energy, and so he is quick to notice that Sukuna easily doubles him in that area.

They definitely should be to be fair, but Sukuna should probably be feeling the heat too, it's gonna be a long day for him even if he beats Gojo. They'll most likely have full intel and it's unlikely Sukuna comes out unscathed, so it really looks like their best possible shot. Obviously even if that eventuality arises Kenjaku is going to come in for his gotcha, but at that point he might just gently caress over Sukuna as well if it's his endgame

Tosk fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 21, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

He still has so much in the tank against Gojo. I'm curious if the arrow or Mahoraga comes out next, assuming that was the end of his domain expansion. I hope we get something new from Gojo in this fight too. Toji pushed him into finally understanding RCT and Hollow Purple. I wonder if Sukuna can push him into a higher understanding or usage of something.

I know this isn't what you were referring to but we really already did. No one even thought what Gojo did last chapter was possible. The peanut gallery is pretty much watching Euler vs Ramanujan fight with magical math and push the field to new heights in realtime. I'm definitely curious to see Gojo bring out some new offensive technique though. His opening Purple at 200% output didn't get much done.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 21, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

mahoraga is practically a narrative device that feels like it's been set up for Gojo to take down. it would be immensely unsatisfying if Gojo doesn't push Sukuna farther than that. I don't doubt the next few chapters will have a few gotchas but I don't think Gojo's about to get dropped just like that

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

i see what you mean, but as far as shonen battle manga tropes go, that fight was meant to hype up Kenjaku as no one to gently caress around with, whereas this is the fight that we've been promised since the very beginning

We'll see though. I don't think Gojo will win, at least not alone, but I expect him to come up with something for Mahoraga

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I'm sure there's some kind of incoming gotcha for Gojo, this fight ending with the same tactic that Sukuna used against Yorozu would suck. Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad time for the peanut gallery to jump in and collectively nuke Mahoraga to let Gojo continue to 1v1 Sukuna, but I fully expect him to innovate a solution for Mahoraga on his own. He'll probably lose but it'll shock me if it's here.

that nosebleed is foreboding though

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

We saw that Mahoraga was adapting to the applications of Sukuna's cut CT individually at Shibuya, didn't we?

Someone a few posts back mentioned that we never saw what Gojo actually did with Toji's inverted spear of heaven and in 228 we see Gojo state pretty explicitly that he knew he was going to have to deal with Mahoraga at some point.

He probably thought he could oneshot him but one would think he'd have some kind of contingency plan in case that doesn't work out, especially given that the narrative provides the reasonably logical one I spoilered

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Megumi might be more 'aware' of Sukuna while he's in control than Yuji was, given there was no binding vow going on there. it would be fun if he reclaims his body and is like (even more of) a jujutsu prodigy because he kinda understood all the poo poo Sukuna was doing.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I didn't mean if he reclaims it on his own, but if Gojo or his friends manage to force Sukuna out or something

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

The better translations by tcbscans will probably come out tomorrow, but I couldn't resist looking up the leaks. Here they are if anyone else was anxious to see what happens next:

click

Gege you madman. Looks like the speculation that Gojo would hit his limit first might be right, but Sukuna is in pretty rough shape himself... the wheel is still there though, I wonder if he'll be able to summon Mahoraga again as soon as he recovers. I didn't really grasp what Sukuna was getting at about Megumi's soul, but I'll wait until a better translation comes out before I think about it.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 26, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

It was Mahoraga exploding, not the shrine I think.

I'm curious to see what happens because at this point it seems like even if Gojo loses, Sukuna is going to have a rough time going through Kashimo, Yuta, Hakari and whoever else.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

You're right, I was speedreading and missed Mahoraga being reabsorbed into Sukuna's shadow

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Agreed. Kenjaku being the only other domain user we've seen with sufficient barrier knowledge to expand his domain without needing to close it off, and being the evil mastermind here, makes me think it would be very uncharacteristic of him not to take advantage of having his two biggest threats severely debilitated and unable to expand their own domains to defend themselves.

He's definitely watching and even if he hadn't planned to before, seeing his adversaries giftwrap themselves like this might merit some on the fly improvisation to whatever he was intending.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

What I haven't understood is why Mahoraga's adaptation was incomplete and Gojo states that if he opens his domain again he can oneshot it, was anyone able to parse that particular bit of anime logic?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I dunno, that might be Kashimo's chance to shine. I couldn't think of how he would fight Sukuna without getting oneshot by his domain but if we take that factor out he might be more competitive, especially if his single use CT is a steroid for his stats or something.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Kind of a stopgap chapter, but given the magazine break next week maybe that's for the best.

The whole thing about how many turns of the wheel Mahoraga needs to adapt is just screaming that Gojo won't make it in time, but we'll see. At this point I'm leaning towards him being on the cusp of victory when Kenjaku intervenes.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I really am curious about how this fight will end. It seems like Gojo has to lose for the narrative to reasonably continue, but Gege obviously also knows that most people have that expectation. We've also been reading for three years or so now with Gojo trapped in the Prison Realm, so it's not like we haven't seen what becomes of the jujutsu world without his presence, and it would be kind of disappointing for the narrative to center on releasing him for so long only to have him die here, but I can't help but expect a last minute clutch win from Sukuna, either with an assist from Kenjaku or through some trickery. Maybe he had Mahoraga ready to adapt to that first Hollow Purple that opened the fight, so the adaptation will require one spin less than Gojo is anticipating?

That would kind of cheapen the thought that the Six Eyes lets Gojo intuit that sort of thing though, to be fair. Kenjaku swooping in to kill them both at the end of the fight is another possibility I can see happening. Or maybe Sukuna will just straight up win. You have to chuckle at his ego though -- he told Jogo to be proud of his strength as a curse and wasn't even harmed in that fight. Gojo has pushed him way farther and at greater strength than he's ever possessed and he's still talking down to him.

However it ends, it's been a really fun fight to watch unfold.

Also, I wonder what happened to Uraume after that 200% opener from Gojo. Sleeping it off, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

That's... cursed