Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
My guess for what will happen is that Gojo will win but then somebody will manage to steal the final Sukuna finger from him and power up Sukuna.

Also the fact that Yuji was surprised and a little mad that Gojo could use Simple Domain was very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be honest, the only times I felt I properly didn't really understand what was going on in JJK were 1) the first time Gojo faced Domain Amplification because the explanation was borderline nonsense, at least in the official translation; and 2) the Pachinko fight because... I've never used a Pachinko machine or played a gacha game in my life.

Otherwise, it feels like the manga is pretty consistent in its ruleset and when we're seeing some new interaction it's usually painstakingly explained.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

I think the explanation is that Mei Mei was somehow linking her ability to share senses with crows to that television. How you ask? :shrug:

Didn't she literally already do that during the goodwill event?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I do kind of love just how busted Gojo is made out to be here. Hakari's entire domain expansion is set up to put him into the state that Gojo is just in all the time. And the idea of the guy whose whole shtick is being literally untouchable also having insane self healing power is really funny.

Yes, but Hakari still has Gojo beaten on Pachinko-related theming at least. Betcha even the genius didn't consider that angle.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Dude, you don't need to write the Bible every time just because you're disappointed with the manga quality, especially not when you can summarize most paragraphs with "I don't like it and think it's more haphazard now". Every time you provide evidence of stuff not being planned it turns out you just... don't like how things resolve too, which isn't helping your case, and I say that as someone who actually thinks that yeah, the Culling Games weren't a great arc.

I'll also say that Shibuya as an arc left me colder than a lot of people, so maybe I'm just strange.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Just because I think someone's posts are bad (they are, there's actually no critique in them besides some vague gesturing) it doesn't mean I think you can't critique art, but I guess this post will be received with another shrug emoji and 15 paragraphs.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think the Culling Games would have actually benefited from better character development. It would have been a lot easier to get invested in the side fights if people like Hakari had a more fleshed out personality. But I think that flaw already showed up early, though not to that extent, outside of Yuji and Fushiguro, I didn't really get a feel for most characters in the first arc and it took me a while to get them.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You kinda have to wonder how Gege is gonna up the ante for the final battles considering the amount of straight-up bullshit (in a good way) that is going on right now. I can't say I loved the other Kenjaku fight, so, uh, we'll see.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Looking forward to Gojo Satoru handing Yuji an arrow macguffin made of cursed energy to shoot at Kenjaku.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

This fight has extremely strong "two young kids playing on the playground" vibes. "Nu-uh! You can't do that! My domain says you can't." "Yes huh, I turned MY domain inside out so it beat up your domain!" "Well, fine, I'll use MY reverse cursed energy to heal my cursed energy!"

It incapsulates the essence of shonen, in other words!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
How many times have people thought that Gojo was done here just for him to not be done? I'm not gonna count him out until the manga's over at this point.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly, I have no idea how Sukuna will be dealt with, but I think it's appropriate that in some way the final blow comes from Yuji. Could be fun to see Yuji get Sukuna inside again and take control once and forever.

Also, *what* would happen if Yuji ate the last Sukuna finger?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I would've liked the Kenjaku fight more if she had manage to at least inflict *some* damage. But Kenjaku just coming back from a motherfucking black hole like it was nothing was just... yeah.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Maybe Gege is just leading us on and he's gonna have all of the female characters come back to save the day!

Probably not.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

The more I think about it the more I like the 0.01 second offset development. Sukuna got way too cocky copying a technique he only just saw in the heat of battle and ate poo poo because of it.

And yet, I mean, that technique was *invented* during that battle, so it's not like there was a manual on when to best use it. He played it pretty well all things considered, especially considering he knew that Mahoraga had adapted and could be deployed.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

TheHan posted:

i love that jujutsu is canonically confusing. you can even make it confusing on purpose. i would make my domain download every entry on wikipedia into people’s minds.

Just download the discussion pages without the actual pages. Frankly Wikipedia Japan probably generated a fair few curses, tbh.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tosk posted:

Megumi might be more 'aware' of Sukuna while he's in control than Yuji was, given there was no binding vow going on there. it would be fun if he reclaims his body and is like (even more of) a jujutsu prodigy because he kinda understood all the poo poo Sukuna was doing.

I think it's pretty obvious that he's way too depressed to even try to fight Sukuna at this point, not to mention that taking control of Sukuna at this power level is no mean feat even at the best of times.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tosk posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean if he reclaims it on his own, but if Gojo or his friends manage to force Sukuna out or something

I kind of expect, if Megumi survives, for his experience as Sukuna's vessel to teach him to use his Domain Expansion without a barrier. I'd assume he'd also keep Mahoraga as a normal shikigami. Beyond that though, I don't know.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
We saw the halo-wheel working separately from Mahoraga in that panel, my guess is that he really did summon Mahoraga just now but the wheel is what performed the adaptation instantaneously based on the information it had accumulated.

The mechanics of adaptation have never really been explained outside of what is obviously happening, so my guess is based purely on the idea that it is an action performed by the wheel rather than the wheel just signaling what Mahoraga is doing.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm gonna wait for a better scanlation, but I'm not sure I buy the way the wheel was hidden, to be completely honest.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm gonna need to re-read the whole fight up to this point, but for now I'm just laughing at the comments get very heated.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I gotta say, I re-read all the parts of the fight concerning the domain battles and Sukuna's strategy is impressively convoluted when you consider that his starting simple move to destroy Gojo's domain from the outside was arguably effective enough that it could have ended the battle if not for Gojo finding a way to refresh his burnt-out technique. Sometimes simpler is better buddy, especially considering your brain's burnt-out now.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tosk posted:

What I haven't understood is why Mahoraga's adaptation was incomplete and Gojo states that if he opens his domain again he can oneshot it, was anyone able to parse that particular bit of anime logic?

Gojo never thought Infinite Void would be what defeat Mahoraga in the first place, but it would have given him a window to hit Mahoraga without any kind of defense on its part. Mahoraga didn't even really fight Gojo in the first place, it really only served as a way for Sukuna to break the domain from the inside.

I still feel like this is a lot of trouble to adapt Mahoraga to Infinite Void when Sukuna isn't even really using it to fight, though. There's something I'm probably missing about the flow of the fight.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think Gojo is alluding to the fact that Megumi's soul, and therefore Sukuna's current body, have not in fact adapted to Unlimited Void because the only one to adapt was Mahoraga. Which means that Sukuna/Megumi will be hit by Unlimited Void anyway, although that was kind of academic since Gojo at that point was too brain damaged to open a domain again.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018604

Official chapter release.

The translation *still* feels weird, and at this point I'm just going to assume that the Japanese original was written in a really weird style that all translators are struggling with.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Flair posted:

I don't believe it contradicts anything we have seen before. If anything, a soul within someone else's body has been shown to activate curse techniques before, when Mahito touched Yuji with his domain and Sukuna used dismantle. Gojo's Void being able to affect all the souls and curses within its domain makes sense and having the wheel on Megumi can make sense though having it forced upon Megumi's soul without Megumi himself activating it is a bit new.

It's less that it's specifically a contradiction and more that it feels like so far out of what we've been shown before in terms of the usage of those powers that it doesn't really track as a natural development of what was going on so far. To me anyway.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
new chapter is here surprisingly fast

Quite a change of pace from the previous domain clashes.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

They are most definitely talking about black flash given it was Nanami talking about it. Remember, his record is something like 4 in a row and that was revealed when Yuji just started chaining them together beating that record. It's no surprise that Gojo can just do them whenever he wants because he's just built differently. If anything I'd assume Sukuna can also do black flashes casually as well since he's a genius when it comes to cursed energy and techniques.

My understanding is that Gojo is basically replicating the effects of Black Flash with his own cursed technique so that's why they talk about critical hits rather than Black Flash. We've always had a pretty clear visual tell in chapters before when Black Flash happened, and the story treated it as a thing, with the narration stopping to highlight that it was happening, so I doubt it was just being used willy-nilly even in this fight.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
A critical hit would include Black Flash but not *necessarily* be Black Flash, is what I'm getting at. For Nanami, that's how he hits a curse/jujutsu sorcerer critically, but Gojo doesn't need to resort to a fickle method like that because his cursed technique allows him to obtain a similar effect reliably. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7473/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-233

Newest chapter scans.

Is it Gojover??

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Gojo can't teleport, he just can compress space and coordinates, and when describing his teleportation preparations during the flashback arc, he made it clear there need to be no obstacles to be able to do it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm honestly not seeing JJK finishing anytime soon anyway. There are still a lot of character arcs that have to come to some kind of conclusion and a lot of stuff that was foreshadowed early that has to come into play.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Do we think Yuji's still gonna eventually learn Sukuna's cursed technique as hinted early in the manga? Supposedly his body should've naturally implemented it from incarnating Sukuna for that long.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
New chapter's raws have leaked. Man, what a chapter.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Pierson posted:

And a break next week this is unacceptable I need to know How It Ends.

Kusakabe said Gojo's won, so this is clearly the point where Sukuna reveals his Cursed Technique and puts a wrench into everybody's celebration. I can't see things going differently, to be honest, although as long as Gojo manages to make him leave Megumi's body in some way, he'll have gotten his win.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Scan is out btw

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

(source)

As for my guess on Sukuna's CT I always felt like the "open" command made it sound like he has some kind of armory, but Cleave/Dismantle is the quickest/most efficient part of his arsenal so it's what he has prepared normally. Right now I don't think he has a way to bypass Limitless without Mahoraga unless he somehow inherits Mahoraga's adaptations which... seems farfetched, but I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to escape. Ngl though, it would be very funny if after all this suspence, we only learned of Sukuna's CT through Yuji using it later.

EDIT: Also the Fraudkuna memes are extremely funny, but the way people online seem to genuinely think that Sukuna's performance here was subpar is weird to me. He outmaneuvered Gojo and managed to make him lose his Domain Expansion *and* got Mahoraga to also Adapt to Limitless. That's hugely impressive, and considering the compressed timetable we're on at the moment, Gojo might even be unable to use Domain Expansion for the rest of the series.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 8, 2023

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Asuron posted:

Could be that Yorozu gave him a copy of the inverted spear, like Maki received a copy of the Soul Render but who knows .

Nah, Yorozu's Construction was specified to be unable of replicating cursed tools. Also, Sukuna's output is extremely low right now. Gojo losing his arm was also a big deal for the same reason, and it's only because of the second Black Flash that he got through it.

Speaking of... we never got an explanation of how Hakari got his arm back.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I think that one senior sorcerer that's a medic is hinted at being the reason his arm is back.

I don't think so? I mean, Inumaki didn't get his arm regenerated, so there's limits to how much she can do. And as far as we know, Hakari can't open his domani without doing the handsigns. Best theory I've read is that he just went back and got his old arm that had been amputated and got it reattached with reverse cursed technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

He lost his arm to an explosion so we can reasonably rule out that ht was just re-attached. I don't have anything to add because other than RCT I can't think of a good reason his arm would be back unless someone could stand in place for his missing limb and help him roll his slots until he got a jackpot.

No the first time it was just cut off by lightning, which he regenerated. Meaning that arm was presumably still lying somewhere, kind of like Gojo's original arm is still somewhere around in Shinjuku.