Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

holy poo poo this loving rules

what a fantastic loving twist. It makes total sense too with everything Sukuna's done involving him so far since the very beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Culling Game has a lot of cool moments but also feels less then the sum of its parts

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yuji walking through getting ripped apart and punching Sukuna in the face is some of the most metal panels the series has ever had.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I’m super apathetic about Angel getting dunked since she’s barely a character and her connection to Megumi felt really weird and shoehorned in but Yuki losing to Kenjaku was probably the worst fight in the series.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Sukuna is a fantastic antagonist and every moment he’s on page is delightful

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Sukuna also has enormous DIO energy in that his spite and cruelty to all the way down to very simple acts of just being a super petty rear end in a top hat that are incredibly entertaining.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Nah Sukuna is a lot of fun. He has a ton of personality. I'm hoping that he does lose this fight or be driven off somehow, but I'd much rather he survive and be the final opponent later on then Kenjaku.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Gojo's death if he is dead was a cool swerve and a good finish to one of the best fights in the series. It could've been executed a bit better but it is a really cool idea.

It's perfectly fine that Gojo thinks he might not have been able to beat Sukuna even without Ten Shadows because Sukuna didn't have to try using his other stuff in the bag. He had a game plan from the start using Mahoraga and managed to win with that game plan. Personally I think it's likely Gojo would've been slightly favored to win if Ten Shadows wasn't on the table, but it makes complete sense that he's not convinced when Sukuna didn't show off everything he had in stock against him.,

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 9, 2023

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Bread Set Jettison posted:

MhA really stopped clicking for me very suddenly. I really loved how it started and then it felt like it just kind of meandered after Deku Vs Bakugo round 2, and had weird tone issues here and there.

Jjk is not perfect but it’s a better than average shonen story. The Shibuya incident was exceptional, and nothing since has quite reached that peak. Everything else suffered from adding TOO much to the story. It’s has felt like Gege tried to spice up the story with some fresh ideas, didn’t end up loving those ideas, and has since does an OK job getting back on track. To me it’s been a better story since Sukuna swapped into Megumi, but still never come close to the heights of Shibuya.

Yeah I agree with this.

Culling Game still has some extremely high highs like Hakari vs Kashimo but I've been way more interested in the narrative since Sukuna jumped bodies as that was a fantastic payoff for something set up 200 chapters ago.

Moving away from the power trio of Yuji Nobara and Megumi was always a mistake though as the three had great chemistry together while all being compelling and fun to follow.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Conspiratiorist posted:

I genuinely forgot Nobara existed until I saw her in the new anime season.

It's been over 2 years since her last appearance, and she never had much screen time nor was she ever important to the plot.

It doesn't matter if she was plot important when she had a ton of screen time, presence, and attention brought to her character plus had loads of charisma.

There are some really cool characters in the Culling Games like Hakari and Higuruma, they're just not the people I came to this party with. It's part of why I am more content with the post culling game stuff as I actually have investment in Sukuna as a villain rather then another incarnated sorcerer.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I don't know what is shattered in people's minds that they think anything going on right now is comparable to endgame Bleach or Naruto.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I can't really be objective about Naruto since even when it was good I found the two leads totally insufferable from start to finish but even with hilarious low points like he was the coolest guy it didn't totally collapse the way Bleach did.

Which is especially a shame since as the current show is highlighting the beginning of Bleach's final arc is excellent

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Manatee Cannon posted:

I really cannot wrap my head around someone thinking jjk right now has worse writing than late naruto or current mha. like I don't like some things the culling game has done but the quality gap is so insanely in jjk's favor even so

Same

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Jogo demolished everyone he went up against that wasn’t the two absolute top dogs of the setting, Jogo was actually treated pretty well for what could’ve been an easy throw away fodder character. He basically killed Nanami Mahito just did the cherry tap.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

your friends sound like morons

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The anime thread is utterly miserable to read about Shibuya sometimes because it seems like people just wanted a generic shonen where the high schoolers beat up the villains and call it a day.

The only real misstep of Shibuya is how Nobara is handled. Kenjaku's reveal was dicey at the time but he turned out to be very solid.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Sukuna rules.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Nah it’s fine in the manga, it’s just the anime that screws up Nobara getting got by dragging it out too much.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

For what it’s worth I don’t like that Nobara was taken out. She was a very fun character. I just don’t think there’s really a problem with how she was taken out and it’s used as a silly cudgel by the most obnoxious posters against the series which is still an excellent series.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The stuff with Higuruma loving sucked since they did a really good job making Takaba amount to something, so Higuruma meaning absolutely nothing is a really lame letdown. Had Sukuna been loving people up with his tool beforehand this would've felt less bad. That said, the Sukuna character stuff in this was actually pretty interesting.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Conspiratiorist posted:

I think Gege cares about the story, but the story he wants to tell is not the one you'd have preferred to read.

Yeah I have zero interest whatsoever in a work in this world that isn’t made by Gege. All of the stuff that makes this series stand out from its peers is his style.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The series has been incredibly consistent that jujutsu society is completely and totally broken and filled to the brim with monstrous people. People like Gojo are an anomaly and it's basically treated as a failing of Gojo's that he didn't just say gently caress this and slaughter the entire upper crust of Jujutsu elders a long time ago.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The whole point of the Zenin always seemed to be this is what this loving society is like. Naobito was introduced as a huge piece of poo poo and he still turned out to be like the most reasonable one besides Maki and Mai.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Fantastic chapter, this fight rules.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

CharlestonJew posted:

incredibly mad that the manga didn't follow the boring by-the-numbers formula I had made up in my head

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

This fight is fantastic.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I'd be pretty unsatisfied if this takes Sukuna out, but it should have some sort of heavy impact on him between the narration and the type of weapon he's getting hit with.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It's bizarre to me how much people are melting down about this when even the cast has called attention to the fact that Sukuna has not yet used Open or some of his other weird abilities.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

My read on the ending line is that it's basically like Black Flash. Sukuna is legit taking damage and getting hosed up, but he isn't feeling the vibe of a fight to the death yet as nobody's hit him with anything he finds crazy or interesting since Gojo. If he got really invested into the fight, it would spike his power back up the same way a Black Flash would. He's still got tools in reserve like Open to keep himself alive, but if he was enjoying himself or found the people he was fighting interesting he'd be more invested in the fight even with the massive damage he's taking and would likely be receiving a similar boost to a Black Flash. It's more-so about Sukuna's mindset and personality and he doesn't need to get hyped for this when he's still got some final cards to play.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah as much as I love the Takaba fight I'd like a little more with Kenjaku.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

People are gonna be mad but I liked this chapter quite a bit

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Judgeman is the only sequence that has made me go bullshit. Everything else has been ranging from fine to great.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

MorningMoon posted:

Aw gently caress he found my receipt for a daikon stuffed with knife from Aldi's, my b Megumi

This culling game arc has very fun abilities

Goddamn, Megumi is gonna get his second ever win here

Reggie Star is probably the most underrated fight in the series and the second best fight in the Culling Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah this loving rules so much