Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Gyoru posted:

Emerald Beyond JP wikis in progress:
https://kamikouryaku.com/saga_eb/
https://altema.jp/sagaeb/

The english SaGa wiki discord is another resource with segmented spoiler sections
https://discord.com/invite/QEUNvDM

Thank you!!

Harrow posted:

Is there a recommended starting character?

Also: I never played Scarlet Grace so if this is similar to that, I'm unaware. Are there branching story paths? Looking around at how NG+ works it sounds like you're encouraged to play through each scenario multiple times to explore different paths--is that accurate?

I would say pick who you like, but if you don't know I recommend Mido, because his starting crew is very set in their ways and mimicry procs are fun, extra glimmers! In terms of branching paths this game is very much setup to be played multiple times over, I'm near the end of my 3rd playthrough and some of the same worlds didn't even let me do the same choices/paths, and from what other goons have mentioned who had the same protagonist, it's not based on that criteria. Just let the RNG take over and go with the flow for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skanker posted:

Got dual-wielding finally, needs rank 3 Life Sprinkler and rank 3 Mega Thrust. The tech it gives is very strong! People are still in the dark on how to get the gun+sword tech and if it also needs a rank 3 tech then it might be pretty hard to figure out.

so is mega thrust also longsword, or what? i haven't seen that one.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so is mega thrust also longsword, or what? i haven't seen that one.

Rapier skill, and yeah Life Sprinkler is exclusive to sword. Need to look at the weapon and skill icons to distinguish them. It took a while to spark, and quite a long time to get to rank 3.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Skanker posted:

Got dual-wielding finally, needs rank 3 Life Sprinkler and rank 3 Mega Thrust. The tech it gives is very strong! People are still in the dark on how to get the gun+sword tech and if it also needs a rank 3 tech then it might be pretty hard to figure out.

Sword and Gun needs Kaleidoscope (dagger) and Mightier than the Sword at rank 3. Gun dual wielding needs One for One and Bounding Shot at 3, but if you stick to one hand guns on a character long enough they'll probably get that naturally.

All three have additional moves you can glimmer but I haven't managed to do so yet. Even getting the prerequisites took a whole combat heavy Tsunanori playthrough for me.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Sword and Gun needs Kaleidoscope (dagger) and Mightier than the Sword at rank 3. Gun dual wielding needs One for One and Bounding Shot at 3, but if you stick to one hand guns on a character long enough they'll probably get that naturally.

All three have additional moves you can glimmer but I haven't managed to do so yet. Even getting the prerequisites took a whole combat heavy Tsunanori playthrough for me.

Wow, very annoying skills to get ranked up, but thanks a ton for the information. Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Definitely feels like ng+ territory unless you start out from the gate with a starter character in mind

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Increment the "bosses Wednesday obliterated via Showstoppers" counter

On what was going to be my last attempt at the Necronomicon boss fight before I moved onto the next world, she took it out solo from half health via two consecutive Showstopper rounds - and the final round was one where it was blocking due to queueing up its summon ability. But nope, one unblockable and one glimmered tech in the final showstopper and she just cut it down.

Wednesday: is good

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Hm I haven't gotten an a buff spell yet to compare, but I was on like gen 7 of Blaid or whomever and she'd gotten all the buff spores but they all come with a crown so I assumed they couldn't be leveled. They cost like 2-3 stars but at least they get you 2/3rd of the way to the max buff. I thought buffs kind of sucked at first but the atk one is quite nice on whoever tends to end your combos, and the speed one does noticeably mess with turn order.

At least I've seen the BP-1 after Turn 5 weapon line and those have been pretty good, I guess I've fallen into an out-tank strategy in general on my current run using Phoenix or Tercio formations. I know the gunner robot can get a BP-1 equivalent role if you level their base skill high enough. That was one thing I wish I had realized earlier on my Dva route - that there's more role unlocks than just the Rank 2 in their innate ability. Wish I had pushed more innates to rank 3 to see what, if anything, they get.

So you do get new roles at rank 3. Unsure on rank 4. Here are my roles for Diva:

Critical Seeker (Scattered Petals rank 2, +10% critical damage)
Combat Mastery for rank 3, +5% melee tech power
Aegis Snipe (Mech Sonata rank 2, +20% power when quelling conditionals)
Stealth Operative for rank 3, less likely to be targeted
Forward Shift (Quad Missiles rank 2, tech order +1)
Shooting Mastery for rank 3, shooting tech power +5%
Eagle Eye (Cosmic Rave rank 2, Anti-Air)
Initialization Protocol (Cosmic Rave rank 3, BP cost -1 from turn 4)

It’s a bit of a mixed bag. I love initialization protocol and eagle eye for the final boss (who’s kinda still giving me issues as Diva)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

I think Siugnas is my favorite protagonist so far, I love when he brings up the fact that he's ~The Dismal King~ in totally unrelated conversations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Now that I've figured out the arrows on the weapon tooltip indicate how to block while attacking, everything is so much easier.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Enjoying Mido roughly 90% less than my Diva run. I really, really don't like Kugutsu at all because they feel incredibly choked on character progression unless you double up on weapon types in the party, which I don't like doing to begin with.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
The puppets are really bad, particularly starting out, yeah.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they're fine, especially if you grind out a red door until you get all the souls from it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I went the violent route in the demon world and stole so many techs off the bosses. I'm having the time of my life on Mido's route.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Giving me the option to say gently caress it let's save everybody time and throw down is appreciated

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So do future playthroughs use data from the previous playthroughs of other characters? I've encountered some stuff in Delta base that seems awfully coincidental and it feels like decisions I made on my first Dva playthrough are having an impact. Or it could just be a coincidence.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

So do future playthroughs use data from the previous playthroughs of other characters? I've encountered some stuff in Delta base that seems awfully coincidental and it feels like decisions I made on my first Dva playthrough are having an impact. Or it could just be a coincidence.

It does but I'm not clear how, it isn't as simple as your choices carry over.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

On the tech info window, does the little square with an arrow indicate that this tech will push other characters around on the timeline?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
[e] see below I was wrong!

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 4, 2024

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Mike_V posted:

On the tech info window, does the little square with an arrow indicate that this tech will push other characters around on the timeline?

No, it means characters will have a chance to block/evade attacks that happen before (->) or after (<-) they use that Tech. See Tips -> Combat Techniques -> Defense and Active Defense.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

TurnipFritter posted:

No, it means characters will have a chance to block/evade attacks that happen before (->) or after (<-) they use that Tech. See Tips -> Combat Techniques -> Defense and Active Defense.
I think that's only when it's on the weapon isn't it?

[e] oh neat it's both according to the tips! Nice

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's where the real finesse comes into play. i only really use that system when things are down to the wire, though.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Rascyc posted:

I think that's only when it's on the weapon isn't it?

Techs and weapons can both have it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a good example is bull block, a greatsword tech. it's slow as hell, which makes the delay effect pretty useless. but it also blocks until it goes off, which is almost always at the far end of the timeline.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

a good example is bull block, a greatsword tech. it's slow as hell, which makes the delay effect pretty useless. but it also blocks until it goes off, which is almost always at the far end of the timeline.

The bull tower boss in Yomi is a fairly funny introduction to this(and also to the mechanic that overdrives can't be blocked).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's also the system that makes martial arts good at all. for pure damage you'd do better with any other weapon type.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I dunno, across a couple playthroughs I've found martial arts damage roughly on par with 1H sword and more damaging than 1H gun(outside of interrupts, where 1H gun is brutal). It gets smoked on raw throughput by the 2H weapons and spells, but 2H weapons are BP-intensive and spells have their own limitations. This might change once I'm like 15 runs in and have final tier weapons or whatever but punchman holds up pretty well so far.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

I thought higher battlerank was supposed to improve battle rewards but so far having carried it over into two new playthroughs thus far it has delivered nothing but severe rear end-beatings while still dropping complete junk. I think the worst part is that higher battle rank enemy types seem to become drat near immune to status effects until they're at 25% HP. Good loving luck stunning them ever, if you can even move before them since even my fairly high mobility characters regularly get pre-empted somehow despite sitting at 60 mobility with those boots that boost your timeline position even further.

Where are you even supposed to find poo poo like demon blood anyways? A billion things want it. That and obsidian.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Obligatum VII posted:

Where are you even supposed to find poo poo like demon blood anyways? A billion things want it.

I haven't found Obsidian anywhere other than very difficult Mr. S trials.
Siugmas has the opportunity to obtain a lot of demon blood right before fighting his final boss.

By the way, in a low-spoiler kind of way, I've gotten the best stated result on Ameya's Witchterms. Is there any other way her scenario can end? Specifically, does she ever fight a final boss?.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

that's where the real finesse comes into play. i only really use that system when things are down to the wire, though.
I've been using the flanking formation with it and it's been fantastic. When I want big combos and things are safe, I'll use chain attacks to bring the right side formation into the left side formation.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize why my chains didn't combo sometimes - you have to place a green square for them in advance! I thought they brought their own for awhile. It gets really weird when you start using two chain attacks, because if the final guy chains into a non-green square it cancels the whole combo even if they're at the end! This made spells great because they deploy like 3-4 green squares so it's a good setup for this sort of thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one of the fire spells has a combo range of 7. it's unfortunately not that good, otherwise.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Got a weapon with tech order -1. What does that mean?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

poe meater posted:

Got a weapon with tech order -1. What does that mean?

I think it means techs will move you back (tech order minus) or forward (tech order plus) an extra space in the timeline.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

one of the fire spells has a combo range of 7. it's unfortunately not that good, otherwise.

This makes me wonder, is it possible to form a combo with a showstopper? 7 spaces should be more than enough to connect them.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

buddychrist10 posted:

This makes me wonder, is it possible to form a combo with a showstopper? 7 spaces should be more than enough to connect them.

It is not. Combos override showstoppers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if your combo range meets the showstopper range, it just forms a combo.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Love that, after hearing a number of villagers recount their vivid dreams after being unfrozen, Mido immediately asks each of them if they know anything about spirits like he's Ryo Hazuki trying to find out about Chinese people

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Mike_V posted:

Love that, after hearing a number of villagers recount their vivid dreams after being unfrozen, Mido immediately asks each of them if they know anything about spirits like he's Ryo Hazuki trying to find out about Chinese people

Ameya does the same thing. "Hey, you seen any cats?" "Um, what? Cats? No..."

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Their response generally run a range of complete gibberish, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I'm a dumbass, I thought you could only trade materials lol. Time to trade away my 7 leather boots!