Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

"When the school is on the reserve, the child lives with its parents, who are savages, and though he may learn to read and write, his habits and training mode of thought are Indian. He is simply a savage who can read and write. It has been strongly impressed upon myself, as head of the Department, that Indian children should be withdrawn as much as possible from the parental influence, and the only way to do that would be to put them in central training industrial schools where they will acquire the habits and modes of thought of white men."

quote:

“We have done all we could to put them on themselves; we have done all we could to make them work as agriculturists; we have done all we could, by the supply of cattle, agricultural implements and instruction, to change them from a nomadic to an agricultural life. We have had very considerable success; we have had infinitely more success during our short period, than the United States have had during twenty-five years. We have had a wonderful success; but still we have had the Indians; and then in these half-breeds, enticed by white men, the savage instinct was awakened; the desire of plunder -- aye, and, perhaps, the desire of scalping -- the savage idea of a warlike glory, which pervades the breast of most men, civilised or uncivilised, was aroused in them, and forgetting all the kindness that had been bestowed upon them, forgetting all the gifts that had been given to them, forgetting all that the Government, the white people and the Parliament of Canada had been doing for them, in trying to rescue them from barbarity; forgetting that we had given them reserves, the means to cultivate those reserves, and the means of education how to cultivate them -- forgetting all these things, they rose against us.”

quote:

“The third clause provides that celebrating the “Potlatch” is a misdemeanour. This Indian festival is debauchery of the worst kind, and the departmental officers and all clergymen unite in affirming that it is absolutely necessary to put this practice down.”
I hear echos of this when Pallister talks about Halloween

Some choice quotes from Canada's first PM and CBC's 8th greatest canadian (2004 TV Show, Don Cherry was 7th!)

quote:

“It is readily acknowledged that Indian children lose their natural resistance to illness by habitating so closely in these schools, and that they die at a much higher rate than in their villages. But this alone does not justify a change in the policy of this Department, which is being geared towards the final solution of our Indian Problem."

quote:

“…the system was open to criticism. Insufficient care was exercised in the admission of children to the schools. The well-known predisposition of Indians to tuberculosis resulted in a very large percentage of deaths among the pupils. They were housed in buildings not carefully designed for school purposes, and these buildings became infected and dangerous to the inmates. It is quite within the mark to say that fifty per cent of the children who passed through these schools did not live to benefit from the education which they had received therein."

Duncan Campbell Scott, as Deputy Superintendent General of Indian Affairs from 1913 until 1932

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

The southern MB bible belt sucks so so bad and I feel sorry for anyone who's stuck there. Everyone I know from there describes it as escaping as soon as they were able to.

Yeah I'm here because of a work contract for a year and am counting down the days to leave.

This weekend I had to drive through Steinbach and its like there is no shutdown at all. Malls open, parking lots full.

My apartment neighbours are always having parties. I can see multiple backyard BBQ events from my window.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

He'd have to be a drat lunatic to even mention something like that right now

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I gave you nurses FREE jets tickets now pay back that $20,000 you owe me

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

pokeyman posted:

Manitoba Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Ontario can't afford another quarter person in hospital with VITT, it's a shrewd move.

Remember we ship patients out of province now

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

All those trees and all that land are just waiting to be ripped up and sold! Think of all the money you are wasting by leaving nature untouched! We will leave nothing in our wake!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Some people only learn about history when there are statues in public places apparently

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Manitoba is doing a vaccine lottery lol

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ColdBlooded posted:

That dude has a serious case of the crazy eyes

he looks like the coomer wojack

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My left eye was sore after my second dose, I think I got the 5G Illuminati vaccine

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Pleads posted:

Stanley's 18% is like, 1,500 people. A determined healthcare professional running around hogtying farmers and jabbing them could increase the percentage points of the area by a significant amount in one day.

Even though it's a small # it's still an issue because they will come into other areas. It's not like they live and work solely in the Stanley area. You're probably going to get your groceries from Morden or Winkler or serve customers from that area

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Losing tax free status and payment of all taxes, criminal charges for murder and kidnapping of children. Just a few minor things to start with.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

tagesschau posted:

How bad of an investor do you have to be to turn the past year into only a 2.5% gain?

They bought GME at peak price

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It'll be Kevin O'Leary again and he will run the exact same campaign as trump did and win a majority

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

MB Cons been saying the quiet part out loud and digging deeper and deeper all day:

https://twitter.com/ScottBilleck/status/1415780914710392840

And Brian from today's presser announcing the cabinet shuffle:

dig up stupid

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

why don't the "owners" simply quit if they can get more money going on ei like the rest of the slaves

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Predictions when the 4th wave hits:

-No one could have seen this coming
-"We are doing the best out of near most provinces the least-wise"
-Churches 100% open
-Private households must purchase a COVID pass weekly
-"Natives got what they deserved"

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Seems like a bad idea

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

https://twitter.com/stevelambertwpg/status/1425527407524683777?s=20

So Brian Bowman, Paul Jordan and Marty Morantz? Talk about some stinkers

Steven Fletcher

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ToxicAcne posted:

Not if you're doing aimless carnival protests every couple of years.
Blockading railways to stop a pipeline is the kind of direct action that has the potential to get something done. Not getting cops to kneel.

Are the "Campus Leftists" in the room right now? Do those SJWs make you upset?

What police group are you part of? Do they tell you to post this garbage online?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ToxicAcne posted:

My point is that there is no thought given to any directed action or program. Many of the recent movements have no aim whatsoever. I don't really care if you want to act through politics or direct action but you still have to have goals in the short and medium term right? Just jumping to "Abolish the Police!" was never feasible in that timeframe.

As to the poster above who accused me of wailing on SJW's or whatever, my critique of that kind of politics is that they often end up leading to an idealisation of minorities that allows them to ignore the realities of that community. People don't really get it when I tell them that Muslim and Black Canadians (on the whole) are quite socially conservative. Like it or not, most people in these communities don't want to abolish the police and adopt aspects such as Canadian Nationalism more than is commonly discussed.

Apologies as I'm a pretty bad writer but I hope that clarifies things slightly.

What are SJW politics in your mind and do they exist in reality or just on twitter

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Did they get the same graphic designer as the Maclean's Magazine?

also lol

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

A lot of this "Cons are beating the Libs in the POLLS!" smells like manufactured consent to me.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Vote by mail, there might still be time

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

PPC has more votes than NDP in my district lol

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

eXXon posted:

The CBC reports that counting years after the how old are you is a thing, no matter how many people cannot remember ever experiencing it.

We've shifted to another timeline. Classic case of a Mandela Effect.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Time isn't real

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

PT6A posted:

I think most of the problematic people are smoking too little cannabis, not too much.

You don't go round an MLA's house and set up nooses if you're stoned, you sit on the couch and listen to music whilst eating Hawkins Cheezies.

Far from legal weed, we need mandatory weed.

You can't even grow your own in Manitoba.

Southern MB newspapers STILL talk about weed overdoses and deaths

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Airbnb

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It's the cleanest thing they have to drink in Alberta, give them a break!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Fuckers like Bernier or Randy Hillier make me wish there were more mentally unstable leftists with access to firearms rather than the right having a monopoly on the mentally deranged.

Holding out for that sweet RCMP cash money

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I'm shocked that business owners keep voting for the party that pledges to cut services but only sometimes lowers the tax because they need to "balance the budget"

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The kids I knew in grade 6 to 8 who tried to kill themselves all tried to do it at school so they could get away from their abusive parents. It's highly unlikely those are the kinds of parents who call up CBC because they care about their kids wellbeing.

My SO is a teacher and has experienced a huge increase in CPS calls the last 2 years. She teaches in a rural area and despite being a religious and anti-alcohol area, a lot of the kids have abuse alcoholic parents. Being in a small town setting some calls to CPS are not made because the principal knows so and so at the church or whatever so they will look the other way or really wait until it gets bad to even make the call. The smaller the town the worse it was for the delay.

Will opening schools prevent this suicide epidemic? No, but it's the easiest thing to do because no way will the government give resources to schools or try to prevent alcohol sales by funding health services.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Parent Teacher "Volunteers"

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Count Roland posted:

How is this bad? Thousands and thousands of people are getting covid. Some are going to be hospitalized and die for reasons that aren't covid related. They should clearly be counted separately. I know at least Nova Scotia and Saskatchewan already do this.

A person who dies from a heart attack because covid destroyed their lungs a few weeks ago will no longer be a covid death

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Trudope will be arrested any day now. Just wait.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Can't you go to your friends house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Servetus posted:

Since I was asked for citations:

First off: the police are helping the convoy move fuel in: there's a plow that the cops need to move if a truck is to make it through instead of just hand carts.

https://twitter.com/Gray_Mackenzie/status/1488709557698412549?cxt=HHwWioC-hZHd-qgpAAAA

On the subject of covering up violence, the police made a claim of "no incidents of violence", in spite of the fact that there had been numerous attempts at intimidation and some assaults:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/trucker-convoy-more-trucks-expected-on-saturday-traffic-impacts-expected-to-worsen

https://twitter.com/Privateer1/status/1487229383630807040

https://twitter.com/CharmainKB16/status/1487209270227709952

https://twitter.com/sghottawa/status/1487854425368633344
"A service user and security guard assaulted."

I already showed Tim Abray's video upthread, the police watched the entire incident and did not intervene. Most people aren't recording or streaming when someone decides to attack them. There was another account from the first day, of a teenage shopclerk threatened with being stabbed if he didn't take off his mask. The police refused to fill out an incident report because the convoy member had left the store by the time they got there. I don't have it in my history since I just read the text and didn't click on the tweet, and it's lost in the tumult of Ottawa twitter over the weekend. Call me a liar if you like.

Also: Apparently the French speaking Convoy contingent is discussing bombing plans on an open channel. I suppose it's good that they are morons, but I do wish the police hadn't helped them move in pickup truck full of an explosive component.

These are all one sided reports from the victims though. The convoy says they didn't do it so who are we to believe?

/s