Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Noodling around the idea of getting in to 3D printing with a resin printer, primarily because I'm getting back into Warhammer 40k in a fairly serious way now that I'm gonna be in one place for a few years. Looking at the Photon Mono SQ. I tend to play with a lot of larger models so the print zone being deeper than the rectangle that most models seem to be is catching my eye. I hear good things about it other places on the internet. What's the consensus here? Anyone have one personally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
With the advice from previously about avoiding the oddball printer and pointing out that following the herd makes parts/support easier I'm probably going to be going with a Photon Mono 4k. So, question about the end product. I've been doing modeling on and off for enough years that it should probably be embarrassing. How much is going to change with cured resin compared to the plastic I'm used to working with? (now that GW has largely moved on from pewter thankfully) Stuff like drilling/pinning, plastiweld, heat treatment for minor modifications, green stuff for modeling?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lincolnstein posted:

The $100 Ender 3 Pro coupon at Microcenter is back and I've been loving mine after having a Mini and MK3S, I'm probably going to grab another one because I like mine so much lately.

Coupon if anyone's interested.

Huh, well, money's kinda tight for the next few months (moving to a new state sucks, I do not recommend it) and I have a Micro Center about 45 minutes away. Guess I'll put off the resin printer and start with this. Long term I wanted both, with this one to make terrain and some other random goodies for my 40k army anyway. Can't argue what's basically 50% off. So OP says bed springs and an all-metal extruder. Having read the thread start to finish I swear I read about a few more parts that are considered day-one purchases but can't see them in the first post.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So looking at the Mars 3 and reading that there is/was a big kerfuffle about it being locked to Chitu, but that maybe it will change/was changed? I'm guessing based on the age of all the stuff I read that it has changed because there's mountains of media about it being a thing at the time of release and then just kind general silence on the topic afterwards.

Assuming that's not a problem I've got the Mars 3, screen protector and some kapton tape, resin, PPE and the 2 in 1 Elegoo wash/cure station in an Amazon cart. Anything obvious I'm missing? Will be hitting up Lowe's for some plexiglass, 2x2's, dryer vent hose and probably foam/foil insulation boards to build an enclosure for fume venting once I have the stations to layout and get some dimensions.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh good, glad to hear I'm not locked to Chitu on the Mars 3. If that's settled will probably pull the trigger on that eventually. Some day I will have a complete Tyranid army.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How does curing something in water work? Is it as simple as "Wash thing in IPA, put washed thing in water container, put container in curing station"?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ender 3 and starter supplies just arrived. Got my weekend accounted for I guess.

Edit: Assembled and I only stabbed myself with a sharp object once. Success! Just turned it on for the first time. How important is it to deal with the firmware on these when getting started? Significant menu differences from what the YouTube guide I was following said. Don't see any way to get it to auto-home itself.

Also is there any kind of goon discord for 3d printing? I trust people behind the :tenbux: firewall for quality more than I will any random collection of people on the internet.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 27, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zedri Edfly posted:

It's pretty important, first and foremost for safety (thermal runaway protection), but also for speed/quality/quality of life. Maybe try out stock and Marlin firmwares a but (th3d is a pretty easy marlin distro) but really I think you should install Klipper asap and save yourself hella trouble and print time. My post history has a bunch of good info specific to e3/klipper.

Hmm, googled around and I can see the advantages of offloading gcode processing to a Pi but not sure it's for me. Seems like a significant investment in extra hardware. Currently all I want is something for the onboard USB slot because this micro SD card crap is for the birds. I'd rather just get an adapter cable and use a normal USB thumb drive.

Existing onboard firmware seems to have those safety features enabled, Marlin onboard firmware says thermistor and bed both have "runaway watch: on" which I assume is what you're mentioning with a different name.

edit: Marlin 2.0.8.2 is what it has stock apparently

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 28, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How likely is it that this stock flexible magnetic sheet thingy on an out-of-the-box Ender 3 is warped vs me being a dumbass on this leveling process? Print head keeps making contact as I move between the corners no matter what pattern of the four corners I attempt. I can get individual corners good, and usually any two adjacent corners working between each other, but never all four corners and the bed between them.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Think I'm probably just going to order a glass bed and wait for that. From the moment I first picked up the flexible, magnetic bed I just felt "I don't see how this can possibly stay level every time I take it off and put it back on"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I would think you would need a really beefy UPS for any kind of printing off of it. Quick googling suggests an average Ender 3 power draw is 125 watts.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That sounds really useful. Is that something I can Google videos on?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Are holes in FEP and resulting resin leaks more of a possible hazard or an inevitability type thing? Already going to have a screen protector, kapton tape and a baking tray for absolute worst case scenarios just curious what to be expecting. Also, how does clean up work for those situations? Paper toweling it all up sounds messy and risking contact but not sure what else would work. Cure it in place and peel it off?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So wait, an old android phone can do the octoprint instead of a Raspberry Pi? I have one of those, it's a Pi I don't have and don't want to pay the current prices for.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So I have some files that are model parts, but not the whole model. For different poses and stuff. If I import multiple parts in, say, Lychee, and move them into each other to where they're making contact will that print as one object or is there more complicated steps I need to take to join different components?

Some stuff like arms I don't mind super gluing on at different angles and stuff but some of it is stuff like torsos bisected and the like where I would prefer to not have to argue with drilling/pinning and gluing then gap filling or offset sanding.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Speaking of "big", how feasible is it to get a long plate for an Ender 3? I would like to have a lot of distance in at least one axis to work with and from what I've seen it seems like a long plate could work mechanically, as well as being an easier axis to work with than the z extender kits I see all over the place. I'm assuming there's some kind of ignorance of mine on some detail I'm missing though. The z kits are everywhere for some reason.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CH Science posted:

Found this place like 10 minutes from my house that produces recycled filament out of waste from I guess their large scale commercial prints and donations? Seems cool and I like both recycling and supporting local biz so I picked up a few different colors.

https://printeriordesigns.com/

Test benchy printing now and looking quite nice.

This will make me feel somewhat better about using so much plastic, so I'll probably buy from them in the future.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I want to print a slug too at some point. Is there a specific search term on a specific site to look for the file for that one? Yeah I'm behind the times too but it's neat.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

insta posted:

It didn't occur to me to use a printed thing.

In the 3d printing thread? That's just shameful.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Roundboy posted:

You need to print with a skirt or a purge line.

Let the initial blob live in a not useful part of the print bed so the first real print layers are good

Is that what that one random line hanging around the outside boundaries of a lot of prints I see is? What exactly is it purging?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Marsupial Ape posted:

Sorry to continue to beat this drum, but say my extreme ceiling was $350, what is comparable to the Prusa MINI+? I see several models in that size category that have a lot extra features like self levelers and are even enclosed (I have cats. Emotional terrorist cats).

I wouldn't pay a lot for the enclosure part specifically. A box of almost-trash made out of 2x2s and foil-backed insulation gorilla glued on the outside is plenty good.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Any thoughts on buying the Mono X right now? They a good buy, not much of a pain in the rear end to get parts like FEP or tanks or something lurking about that I haven't considered? Thinking I want to put more money in to the printer for bigger build space and then DIY glass jar wash/cardboard box curing for now, and upgrade to wash station if I feel it necessary. There's a new generation coming out, does that mean these are getting cheaper?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My $100 Ender Pro has a stock bed out of the box that is potato chip shaped enough that I can't print on it. Don't actually care enough to fix it just yet. Probably going to just buy a glass bed at some point but hobby money is going towards a Mono X so I can finish Warhammer 40k armies I started in the mid-90s.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Photon Mono X just dropped like $80 in price. $382 on Amazon. Likely going to order that tonight.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How worried should I be about bubbles in my resin printer screen protector? Are they like 100% fatal guaranteed? Pretty sure it's a few pieces of dust under there but I've done this same process with phone screen protectors and I don't have the level 4 biohazard facility it apparently takes to never have a single bubble or speck of dust across the entire piece.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
First exposure test print running on this brand new Mono X. Can't wait to see what I gently caress up!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I made a thing. It seems to be a pretty good thing. What is not pictured are the six other things that stuck to the FEP and turned in to extremely well exposed puddles at the bottom of my vat. I'm thinking sandpaper and rough up the build plate then bump up my first level exposure times. Anything obvious I'm missing?

https://imgur.com/UofkO11

P.S. how do I get that to change from a link to the actual image? I don't know how to internet.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Poking around the settings of a brand new Mono X. I see the UV power setting is at 100% from the factory. Is that something I should reduce, and what considerations are there with that setting?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Deviant posted:

i keep mine at 80

I'll bump it down to that. I assume exposure times in general will have to increase? Current settings with 100% using Elegoo grey ABS like are 6 layers burn in at 60 seconds. Are those settings way out of line? It was 50 seconds based on community values but 6 of 8 test prints stuck to the FEP. At 60 seconds and some sand paper scuffing of the build plate only 1 stuck.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What is the plastic that tabletop models and airplane models and stuff are made of? There's plastiweld for that which melts the pieces slightly then reforms them and is super good but it apparently does not work with filament? Some chemistry weirdness I don't understand.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I think I’m gonna go with a resin printer and cure and wash station.

You can save a lot of money making a wash and cure station on your own. My curing station is a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot with reflective foil and LED light strips stuck to the inside. A washing station can be a glass jar with a laboratory magnetic fluid stirrer. All in all like a third the price and much more robust and easier to fix/replace if something breaks.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Marshal Prolapse posted:

You have far more confident in my competence then I do. Honestly I may just be calling them a Mulligan on the whole thing. It’s trying to figure out the ventilation system that keeps giving me hang ups.

Do you know how to operate a saw and a hammer? I took scrap 2x4s and foil backed foam insulation and made a box, gorilla glue to hold the foam in place. Dryer vent hose and an inline blower for ventilation. Looks like rear end but whatever. Still prints my calibration tests great so far without complaints about the smell.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have both, but hobby money is mostly going towards resin printer at the moment so I can finally finish Wahrhammer 40k armies I started in the late 90s. Once that's done I'll be working on my filament printer for handy and useful things.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sanding UV cured resin is generally a bad idea unless it's wet sanded or in an isolated spray booth. I'm pretty OK with the risks of liquid resin as I have protection and ventilation procedures for it but sanding would give me the heebie jeebies.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I do put my IPA and resin outside on my back porch for a day or two to guarantee it's all cured before I strain it out. Don't really see the harm in that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Fair enough, I was under the impression that it was safe even long term. What are the risks I should be mitigating? My current approach is what looks like big cookie jars with a locking clasp and gasket on it. When not in use it's sealed, when the IPA gets cruddy I put it on my back porch for a few sunny days, pour the clean stuff off the top into another jar, then get a coffee filter for the not clean stuff to strain out the remaining cured resin. Let the IPA evaporate off the coffee filter then that goes in the trash, and the cleared IPA is set for a new round of cleaning. All of these steps are done with nitrite gloves, a long sleeve shirt and a full-face "spit guard" mask.

I freely admit I have not dived in to OSHA/EPA/NIOSH stuff. I probably wouldn't understand it if I did, so what deficiencies am I exhibiting?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What is the best/easiest method or gadget that allows WiFi storage and access for a printer? If I try looking for a combination of the words WiFi and storage or something it's all $700 media servers and NAS arrays and stuff when all I want is some kind of storage I can write slices to over WiFi that is accessible by USB so the printer can pick it up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hmm, have to investigate Octoprint some more. Seems to be what I'm looking for whenever I can get spare hobby money, and then can find a Raspberry Pi.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

RabbitWizard posted:

I will!

I'm really glad I didn't buy a heat gun after someone recommended it. They are expensive (or a fire hazard), they can take a long time to warm up (and cool down, so you can't put them down everywhere) and they heat up a large area possibly making the plastic dangerously soft. They are also big. I borrowed one once and eww. Sure, some training with them could help, but....

I bought one of those small handheld Bunsenburners (no idea what they are called) and it is really great. I recently printed something stringy and thought about this thread and heat guns. So I made some pics and here they are, burner is in the last pic:

Pretty sure that's a flambé torch from a restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Did my first 'real' print on my Mono X instead of calibration cities and so on. Let's call it a...learning opportunity. Part of the learning I would like to do is vat cleaning and maintenance.

Going to get a strainer and a mason jar to dump out the vat, then I have a fine mesh funnel for putting resin back in the bottle. Then I will have a resin-y vat and FEP. What's the best way to clean out that last bit of resin? I don't want to go after it with paper towels, I feel that would scratch the FEP?

Also what is a good way to remove the build plate from a Mono X after a print and let the resin drips get back in to the vat before moving to washing? Right now I'm holding it by hand at an angle and this is getting drops everywhere requiring clean up in all kinds of annoying locations after each print.