Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Last time on Doc Fission tries to read a loving book: Doc's library copy of this book just became available--but August is almost over!!! Can our heroine finish the Lydia Davis translation in under two days and claim the BOTM belt??? Is anyone online to help define words she doesn't know??? Will she finally learn what a Proustian reverie is???

Same "rules" as the Blood Meridian thread apply. I am committing further to the bit and posting only words I don't know. My actual feelings about the book, which I have never read before, will end up in the BOTM thread. Everyone put on your smart guy hats. It's fancy words only in here.

À SUIVRE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

vetiver

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

glaziers

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

salubriousness

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

orris

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

ferruginous

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

lorgnon

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

gribiche

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

cocotte

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

viaticum

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

otiose

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

desuetude

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

dovecote

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

lacunae

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

hoarfrost

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

prosiness

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

diluvian

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

calvary

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

missals

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

pepsin

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

reredos

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

weft

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

infrangible

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

ashlar

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

apse

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

glaziers: A glazier is a person who installs windows
hoarfrost: The crunchy ice thing that is on grass in the morning when it's cold
diluvian: Of or relating to the biblical flood
calvary: Hill where Jesus was crucified
missals: Religious letters?
pepsin: Kind of bond in a carbon-containing molecule
weft: One of the threads in weaving. I don't remember whether its the one that goes under and over or the other one. The other one is the warp
infrangible: Not frangible (frangible = shatterable into little pieces)
apse: Part of a church?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

brougham

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

endives

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

lorgnon: A pair of glasses; I assume it's the kind attached to a fob that you take out of your pocket and hold up to your face; the term can also be used for opera glasses, which are on a stick.
vetiver: A type of grass with aromatic roots; often refers to the roots themselves which are used in perfumes
lacunae: plural of lacuna, which refers to a gap, missing material or empty space in something, usually text, where it is represented by "..."
dovecote: A roost for domesticated pigeons. A birdhouse, basically.
cocotte: A demimondaine, a courtesan, a prostitute, etc.
brougham: A type of carriage. Closed top, holds four people with the driver's box outside. Later used in reference to automobiles, especially limousines.
endives: A leafy salad green, similar to lettuce. Also known as chicory; its roots are often used as a coffee substitute. If you ever come across something called escarole, it's basically a broad-leafed endive.

Foxfire_ posted:

missals: Religious letters?
weft: One of the threads in weaving. I don't remember whether its the one that goes under and over or the other one. The other one is the warp
apse: Part of a church?

Some clarifications:

Missal: A book of prayers or devotions. You might be thinking of a missive, which is any written letter.
Weft: Warp is the "vertical" (lengthwise) thread, the weft is the "horizontal" (widthwise) thread, intersecting the warp thread at a right angle
Apse: Specifically a hemispherical projection in a church; typically at the back where the altar is located.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 1, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I applaud this effort but don't slow down now!

Also for future reference this sort of thing can go in the main botm thread itself, tv/iv style book posting is fine as long as it's about the book and not other posters

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Hieronymous please declare today August 32nd, for my benefit

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

SOME of us had a WORK EMERGENCY

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

finical

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

ciborium

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

cineraria

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

salubriousness:Salubrious is healthy, good for you, etc. Comes from the same root as the Spanish word "salud", which means health and is often used as a toast in the same way an English speaker would use "Cheers!"

ciborium:A fancy covered drinking cup, usually with religious overtones. The false grail in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was a ciborium.

finical:Finicky. If something is finical then it is finicky.

prosiness:Prosaic. Ordinary, commonplace, etc. Usually has overtones of unromantic, unsophisicated, tediously boring, etc.

gribiche:It's an egg-based sauce in French cooking. I want to say it's something like egg yolks and mustard in oil?

desuetude:Disuse. A law in desuetude is no longer enforced, a building in a state of desuetude is abandoned and unused, etc.

ferruginous:Containing iron. If used as a color, it means rust-colored.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 1, 2021

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sounds good op should I read this book?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Sounds good op should I read this book?

hi lawman. it's fine

tomorrow is august 33

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

This is usually paired with a nice monstrance when you get it at the Catholic store