Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
THE DUNE REVIEW AND DISCUSSION MEGATHREAD

Dune is directed by Denis Villeneuve, known for Blade Runner 2049 and Sicario. Timothée Chalamet plays Paul Atreides, a prince with a cardboard personality whose father takes control of an oil field but then get hosed up by the oil field's former owner so Paul has to hide in the desert and make friends with the Injuns. But the Injuns of course assume he's a pussy so he has to prove himself by besting one of their finest warriors in a duel and mastering their skills in no time whatsoever.

This movie is a dark movie. As in literally dark. Most of the scenes are poorly lit, either a dimly lit room or at night. Duke Atreides is one of the richest men in the galaxy, surely he could afford to add a few lamps here and there. Also, everybody speaks in soft voices, sometimes just a whisper. Luckily, I saw this in a Belgian cinema so I had Dutch subtitles to guide me. Villeneuve hates color, he hates music.

This rendition of the Baron Harkonnen is boring. In the 1984 movie and the 2000 TV miniseries, the Baron Harkonnen was quite a colorful character, this Baron was boring as hell.

The movie felt a bit decompressed. You'd think that by splitting the story into two parts, Villeneuve was giving himself more room to squeeze in some extra lore, but the movie feels oddly decompressed.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Already a thread for this chum

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911600

Roth
Jul 9, 2016