Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fangz posted:

I really don't think it matters, no one is seriously going to nominate, say, Arcane for AotY and if they do it isn't going to win.

You'd be surprised, I've seen a lot of people online saying it was their favorite anime/animation that they've seen this year. Though I don't think we have to really worry about it in the AOTY discussions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

marumaru posted:

i haven't really watched tons of chinese anime but they don't feel very "japanese anime" at all imo (especially xianxia, which is what i have been exposed to the most). the closest thing in common is probably the artstyles and sometimes the aesthetic choices

I said "feels like anime" I didn't say "feels like japanese anime" ;)

SatoshiMiwa posted:

If your going to go by if the story looks and feels like an anime you'll end up ruling out stuff made in Japan that doesn't feel like typical anime. You either limit the best anime of the year to stuff that is either produced-directed in Japan or co-produced/directed with a Japanese studio or just let everything animated be eligible

As for the Chineses shows the few I've watched all feel like Chinese comics in that everything feels super rushed plot wise and things don't have a chance to breathe. The pacing really does make it not feel like typical anime

I figured it goes without saying if its from Japan its automatically anime; like no one ever disputes that. We're talking about stuff people actually argue whether its anime or not; personally I'm in favour of an inclusive all encompassing approach where if you think something is anime and have some sort of reason for believing so then it is probably anime.

The main point is neat disparate categories don't exist in reality, everything has influence on everything else and any artistic work is influenced by its pre-existing social context and these influences are myriad and overlapping. There's never going to be a perfect definition that makes everyone happy.

The closest I've found is one of those "Anime Alignment Charts" but I think to properly create a general purpose definition from those it actually has to be a three dimensional chart for Origin, Style and Medium for the Purist, Neutral and Rebel categories.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stink Billyums posted:

this is anime

hm. allowed, yes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Even Transformers is anime. :aaa:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
All is Anime

Anime is All

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
this is somehow more tedious than the "what counts as isekai" debate

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Raenir Salazar posted:

Even Transformers is anime. :aaa:

Many American 80s cartoons are anime due to the insane money spent on the openings by hiring Japanese art houses.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg5fR05st58

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

When it comes to the anime vs non-anime debate I have exactly one hardline stance: ZZ Gundam is not an anime.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Omnicrom posted:

When it comes to the anime vs non-anime debate I have exactly one hardline stance: ZZ Gundam is not an anime.
True it's a religious experience.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

FilthyImp posted:

True it's a religious experience.

No, that's Gundam X:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ndr6ZBdDEg

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

arkane was actually really good

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

found a good place for you to post about it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3988330

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I will never watch the league of legends cartoon.

You're missing out! It's very good!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:hmmyes:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Space Flower posted:

non-jp shows can have anime spirit thats why we have a thunderbolt fantasy thread in adtrw.

I think we stick any anime adjacent stuff in adtrw, which is why the touhou thread is here.

if they're on MAL they count :colbert:

Would Teen Titans Go or Boondocks count if they were on MAL? (they aren't on MAL)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
star wars vision is on the list, does that answer your question

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

sb hermit posted:

I think we stick any anime adjacent stuff in adtrw, which is why the touhou thread is here.

Would Teen Titans Go or Boondocks count if they were on MAL? (they aren't on MAL)

They aren't on MAL so why would they count I mean you answered your own question. Bringing in some weird hypothetical to prove...something? doesn't make any sense.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

star wars vision is on the list, does that answer your question

Not really. Japanese studio, Japanese main staff, Japanese script writers and directors.

It's at least as anime as the Supernatural anime.

(Of course, it can only be authentic anime if the pencils come from the anime region of France, but most people still understand what you mean.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

sb hermit posted:

I'd say TTG is at least anime inspired while I'd conclusively say Boondocks is straight up anime.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

Not really. Japanese studio, Japanese main staff, Japanese script writers and directors.

It's at least as anime as the Supernatural anime.

(Of course, it can only be authentic anime if the pencils come from the anime region of France, but most people still understand what you mean.)

They're only on mal because of A, B, and C, so the same would be true if the hypothetical wasn't hypothetical.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Hmm, yes. Anime IS blood.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mod suggestion: make posting 'anime is blood' a permaban

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Endorph posted:

mod suggestion: make posting 'anime is blood' a permabanmandatory

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Anime is mood

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This summer.

Anime.

Is.

MOD

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

But Blood+ is very much peak anime

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

mod suggestion: make posting 'anime is blood' a permaban

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

FilthyImp posted:

This summer.

Anime.

Is.

MOD

Ah yes, an easy typo to make. I'm sure you were attempting to spell MOB.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

do you ever have any jokes that aren't about how much you hate the community you post in, man

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I will not watch Arcane because I used to play Dota 2 and those rivalries run deep.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

we need that new season stat

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ibblebibble posted:

I will not watch Arcane because I used to play Dota 2 and those rivalries run deep.

the dragon knight anime kinda sucked

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I liked dragon knight anime just cuz it was dorky fun but arcane was so much better…. Like aside from the character designs being ugly on purpose it was absolutely gorgeous.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Based on the apparently tepid at best reception to the anime adaptation of The Faraway Paladin, and the general recommendation of "read the Manga instead", I did just that.

Really great character writing. A surprisingly effective use of the "I have memories of my previous life" trope. Solid action, and a solid background for the world's religious system and how the gods and their association with the world function.

The Faraway Paladin manga is very very good, I highly recommend it. My only detracting remark is that despite going through a few solid arcs in only 35 chapters, there are only 35 chapters and I blew through them in no time at all

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

do you ever have any jokes that aren't about how much you hate the community you post in, man

Yeah but I used them all a decade ago. Now I'm just an empty husk parroting tired memes and banging my hands randomly on the keyboard until I'm either validated as a troll or run out of the thread.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

the dragon knight anime kinda sucked

I didn't watch the dota anime either because I haven't played dota in like 7 years. I predate bounty runes. It's just weird lingering moba rivalry brainworms for me.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's really frustrating when manga you love gets a lackluster anime but if people will at least go read the manga then I guess it's doing what it was supposed to do (re: both Faraway Paladin and Tricornered Window)

(please note that both are licensed and get the official release if you can)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

you can't make me