Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

akadajet posted:

:rip: to this guy, but he probably wouldn't have been as excited about windows 11

edit: backstory of a cool guy who definitely wouldn't have been into the latest operating system from redmond
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977077

i was legit excited when win95 came out. it was like, a really big deal and not just for nerds afaict. i don’t think anyone gives as much of a poo poo about computer things anymore, not even new apple bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

windows doesn’t work like this

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

they should have and should always have had win2k look and feel as an option in every windows version

can we stop having this nostalgia take every 3 posts. thanks

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

if ms makes me pay for windows i’ll just stop using it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like to use a mac

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

low energy even for your long history of low energy yosposting

:tipshat:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

whenever a customer invites me to a zoom call i feel like zoom is pretty good

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

the dog was really cool and also turning it off forever and watching it jump to its doom was cool too

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i use balsamiq sometimes

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

carry on then posted:

i had to disable ipv6 on my network adapter to get game pass downloads to work. go gently caress yourself microsoft.

tbf i’ve had to do this in macos on occasion to get networking to work at all. i guess i musta been on a network that didn’t have ipv6 routing set up right

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s fine actually. all windows is like that

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

yo checking in is 11 still garbage

it’s windows

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

lol at the dumbass in IT

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

tazjin posted:

is there a thing where i can rent a windows vm ~in the cloud~ with excel preinstalled

I know nothing about microsoft things and so on but i need to edit a really complicated excel sheet which their web cloud excel completely chokes on (as does all other software i've tried)

you can do this with amazon workspaces, i use it for chunky excel sheets from time to time

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

tazjin posted:

i also ran it sandboxed and strace'd it on the first run and it was stat'ing things like `~/.local/keyrings` so, you know, be safe out there

ffffffff :stare:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

wsl is the best desktop linux, ergo the best desktop linux is windows. hth echi

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

burning swine posted:

I needed to use teams today from my laptop so I decided to try it in a browser instead of installing the junk

and I was reminded that teams does not work in a browser unless you turn on 3rd party cookies, no thanks

i just use edge on mac for teams calls and literally nothing else

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

electron is fine you nerds

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

i want to say the first one, because vscode doesn't have a tab-to-new-window pattern, either

this is really annoying

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

distortion park posted:

I installed windows 11 from a french only installation media,

found ur problem

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

in slack you can just use the search like from:@idiothellfucker to get that kind of view, is that not a thing in teams

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i've had ok luck w/ bt for input devices but yeah dongles work 100x better for that

:dong:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

~Coxy posted:

They called it the 360 since they were going up against the PS3 and didn't want to call it Xbox 2. OK, I get that.

Then when they made the Series X they are going up against the PS5 with what could be claimed to be the fifth generation of Xbox but didn't want to call it Xbox 5. :wtc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeHjN4oWVfk

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

chrome is a google product and so sadly must be shunned, so as to make it slightly harder for the panopticon to fix its seedy gaze on you

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

unfortunately designing a good operating system is at odds with shareholder needs

an operating system cannot be good

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’m fairly sure edge popped up a sidebar today offering me coupon codes when i visited a domain registration site. edge on macos. wtf m8

fwiw i use edge on my work mac almost entirely to join customer teams calls but occassionally i use it as an alt to firefox if some site only works right on chromium

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i think i might love ballmer, what an unexpected turn of events

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i use firefox for everything, suits my needs

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i am a web developer by experience and predilection too :mmmhmm:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Sweevo posted:

"pay $3.99/month to enable the semicolon key"

not a problem for typescript. #winning

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ive had an mx master for like 10 years now, I think it might be most life's Most Significant Mouse

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Hed posted:

Azure somehow put some of our employees in a Preview flag state so they can't connect to their VMs. It offers some new RDP thing but complains that it then needs a public IP to connect (wtf). If I try to go to their accounts and opt out of feature previews they claim that there aren't any even though this new connection screen is titled "Connect (Preview)".

it will need a public ip because the service endpoints are publicly routable, if you are lucky ms offers a private endpoint you can deploy into your vpc or whatever azure calls that poo poo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

what about .md

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have a ps5 and it is immensely adequate. having ps+ is great with the kids

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i dream of a nintendo gapeass/ps+ type service

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

dioxazine posted:

when did they change azure active directory to microsoft entra id? :argh:

i still just call it azure ad because ffs

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Ultrapotassium posted:

One of the only sane rebrandings ever done. AAD vs AD was confusing as all hell

yes they are confusing but the new name is big poops

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

graph posted:

speak of

this happened to me all the time but then someone at work said teams had popped up another window somewhere so i did ‘show all windows’ and hey, he was right

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Internet Old One posted:

Agreed. The one thing you could depend on MS for was software that worked without problems for it’s intended use case. It might have security problems, gobble up your rams, and have some kludgy attempt at backwards compa~1 but it did its job.

Now its all glitchy and in your face along with all the other problems. Oh and windows has also progressed to the point where fiddling with the CLI or registry is part of the normal user experience and not some nerd poo poo. It’s like they gave up on trying to have any kind of brand.

their stock is up 3% cos azure, google is down 10% because gcp. i guess you are just not a business genius like satya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

infernal machines posted:

oh yes, i'm not suggesting anyone try to use open office for anything

there are no practical alternatives to microsoft office unless you're willing to go all in on gsuite, which is worse in every possible way

i really like gsuite but it is a google product and ergo should be avoided