Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Made some good progress through FFX tonight. Finally managed to wrap up Djose and now I'm at the Thunderplains.

Thoughts: Rikku is the best girl. What a fun character, but oh man is she underleveled. I don't think I've grinded, maybe wandered around a bit, I've got everyone wrapping up their first circle on the Sphere grid (Kimahri is a bit ahead and I've decided to put him on Wakka's path as opposed to Rikku's or Tidus. I'd like more haste/slow and another thief, but I feel he can get by a bit further with the status attacks, let me know if I'm wrong about this).

Wakka is becoming a somewhat annoying bigot, but he's still rather charming.

Also does this game have a relationship thing like FF7? I figure it pushes you towards Yuna, but I keep running into Lulu, and I'd much rather hang out with Rikku, but that's just me.

Also seeing what the Thunderplains are I am almost certain not to do that sidequest. I thought the window to dodge was slightly more forgiving, it's not, and needing 200 of those? Omg no. A toast to those of you who put up with it. You were mad youths with far too much time on your hands.

I dodged 200 lightning bolts in a row once.

I was in college, in the dorms, and there was a blizzard so we were snowed in. I had nothing else better to do.

What I did was I timed how many lightning bolts I dodged in a minute, and calculated how long it would take me to hit 200. (Turned out to be about 20 minutes). I went into kind of a Zen state, with the snow falling, lightning flashing in front of my face, watching the clock on my microwave out of the corner of my eye.

Right when the clock hit 20 minutes, I missed a dodge. In a panic, I went and checked the journal inside the Travel Agency.

Exactly 200. :woop: Would never ever, EVER do it again and I wouldn't recommend anybody else do it either. It is utter bullshit and I think you can craft weapons that are as good if not better than the ultimate weapons later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Welp I got to the second boss and either this game expects me to grind my rear end off or there's some trick to preventing enemies from taking the protagonist from full health to 0 in a single turn. I got an item to block force attacks, but you can only bring three of those to a fight. I got some sidequests I've been putting off so we'll see if those are any help.

I haven't played SMTV myself, but one thing I do know from other Megaten games is that status effects, buffs, and especially debuffs, are actually good. Know how status effects in the vast majority of JRPGs are useless because most bosses resist or are outright immune to them, and you're better off just attacking? Yyyyyyyeah no so in Megaten. Bosses, and even trash encounters, hit like a dang truck, and grinding for raw numbers won't help you. If you're grinding, it's to get a particular ability or Fuse a demon that no-sells the boss.

Using status effects and debuffing the enemy's attack, defense, and most critically accuracy, will get you a lot further than grinding. And also I don't know if SMTV uses this same system but at least in SMTIV, there was a mechanic where if you hit an enemy for its weak point, they would straight up lose a turn.

Hope this helps! Have fun. Megaten is good.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean that's what I've been doing! Trying to learn the mechanics and fusing my way through! I'm just having to learn that bosses will absolutely require everything you have, even early story bosses. Haven't ground anything yet, no sir.

Yep, that's fine! I just wanted to give some general advice because the status effect thing is something that's fairly unique to Megaten. Maybe I'm projecting a little but decades of RPGs just taught me that status effects are worthless and using them would be a waste of a turn. :shrug: Was a bit of an adjustment period for me.

Oh, and also I don't know if this spell exists in SMTV (it probably does?) but there are spells that will auto reflect one physical or magical hit on the entire party. Ridiculously good for both avoiding damage and for denying the enemy a turn! Look out for them.

Commander Keene posted:

Close. The Press Turn system gives your party extra turns when you hit a weakness. Your party loses turns if you miss or hit a Null/Drain/Repel. Naturally this also works for the enemy the same way.

Right yeah, that. I was fuzzy on the details. It's been a hot minute since I played SMTIV. I've been meaning to get back to it. I got lost for a long time on the world map and it kinda took the wind out of my sails. SMTV uses the same system then?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Nothin' what's a bufu with you? :haw:

(It's what Megaten calls ice magic. Zio is lightning, Zam is wind/force, Agi is fire)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I bought metroid dread at launch and found the controls really frustrating, Ultimately quitting at Kraid because it was annoying me too much. Last week I decided to fire it back up and whomped kraid on my first try, then proceeded to make a bunch of progress and started really enjoying the game. Today I figured I'd knock another chunk out and...My save is from like, an hour into the game. I have saved like 20 times since then. I have turned the game off and on multiple times. Lost 80% of my progress for no discernible reason. How does something like that even happen? I'm simultaneously so pissed off and disappointed I never want to touch this game again.

Did you possibly load up a different profile?

Alternatively, does somebody else in your household also use your Switch, and possibly overwrote your progress with theirs?

Do you have cloud saves? Check that too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I 100% 64 and Sunshine but never even booted up Galaxy, I should probably do that sometime as I do enjoy that game a lot.

Yeah that's why I'm not worried about getting one in the future, I'm only tempted since the power port on my launch one is starting to get wonky and as far as I can tell the only way to replace it requires soldering and that's a step too far for me to attempt. I know at some point I will be able to walk into a big box store and find them on the shelf.

I've been dragging my feet on calling Nintendo about my Switch. The Joycons are drifting, for the third time I might add, which hasn't been as much of an issue because I play 90% docked anyway. But now the Joycons keep losing connection to the system while it's in handheld and it's turned it borderline unplayable unless it's docked.

I don't know what the issue is with the connection but I'm hoping it's the Joycons' fault and they'll fix it for free. If they want to charge me I might be better off getting a newer Switch. Mine's a launch model...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Have you updated each joycon? That might help with the connectivity issue. And I highly recommend doing a stick replacement yourself, it's cheap (you can get kits on Amazon that come with 4 replacement sticks and all of the tools/replacement screws for like $25) and it takes about an hour to do both, but I get that some people aren't comfortable with that kind of project. I just followed a YouTube of a guy taking them apart and it was really easy and straightforward.

Fair point about updating the Joycons but I am a complete mechanical yutz. :ohdear: I wouldn't trust myself to screw in a lightbulb at this point. (Mostly being I haven't had to replace a lightbulb in literal years. Thanks, LEDs!)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What's everyone playing this weekend? I'm going to give dicey dungeons a try.

I've also been playing resident evil revelations 2 solo, probably wrap it up this weekend. Interesting game. It's meant to be played coop, with asymmetrical characters. One is the gun person, the other is the utility person. Without going too deep into it I can see potential for some really fun coop moments. It's working fine for me solo too

Between those two I'm playing through metroid fusion. Rather than poke around and explore, I'm going immediately from objective to objective, hoping for a low time

I'm diving into Shining Pearl. I also picked up Persona 4 on a whim this week, which I might put some time into. I have it on Steam. It's not on Switch, which is a bummer, but that's why I haven't picked up SMTV yet. Well that and I never finished IV... figured I should maybe finish the games I have first.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

b_d posted:

ok that makes sense. the first panel is still confusing then. is it before he became a ghost. or are they hanging out in some kind of meta bar where video game characters hang out even if they're ghosts.

They're just in a bar out drinking together. The comic takes place in a world where video game characters hang out. The other guy is the captain or whatever. There are a lot of comics that make jokes about video game memes. For instance there's one where Sten from Dragon Age gets mad at everyone memeing to him about cookies.

It's a fairly innofensive comic.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm assuming you still have the need to change the water levels, ergo thanks I (still would) hate it.

Easily equipping the boots would definitely help, though.

You'd probably still hate it, but the 3DS version also marks which passages lead to water level change panels, and what water level they correspond to.

So... quite a bit better, but the dungeon overall still sucks, ngl.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah the "actual" way is just to buy a download code

In a similar vein... is there some way to get a "physical" download code? Like, a card with an eShop redemption code with say, Pokemon, on it, that I could stuff in a card to have something for my little brother to open on Christmas? I could just email him a code but it feels nicer to give him something to open.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Martman posted:

I agree writing it yourself may be the best way. Also, I had fun giving Nintendo gift cards one year by printing out your own foldable coin block to put them in, like one of these:

This is a cute idea. I'll see what I can do.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Sonel posted:

Most digital cards I see these days don't have code's on them anymore, instead the code prints onto your receipt at the point of sale. So even if you bought one you'd still need to write the code down onto the back of it. May as well go with the "make your own card" idea and create something more personal for your brother.

I was picking up a 'script at CVS and spotted a magazine on the rack that's a history of 25 years of Pokemon. I flipped through it while waiting in line, ended up buying it. I figure maybe I can write the code on the inside cover, and maybe the kid will get a kick out of reading about the history of a series older than he is?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Youkai is a word that translations of Japanese stuff have had trouble with; Inuyasha infamously used 'Demon', while 'Fey' might be closer but the connotations for that are probably a bit kiddie. Unless you're into the kind of fairy tales that love pointing out how mythical creatures can so very often be both whimsical and brutally deadly. Think like, brownies, selkies, kelpies and red caps.

Zelda is a funny one to bring up there given it shamelessly uses mishmashes of Eastern and Western mythology and fairy tales, what with the Master Sword being Excalibur in the stone and Link being based on Peter Pan.

Technically, Excalibur wasn't the sword in the stone. :eng101: Yes, it's weird that King Arthur had multiple magical swords associated with him, no it doesn't make much sense.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

Jirard the Completionist took well over a thousand hours to 100% HWDE but that's because he's an insane person who decided "get everyone to level 255" was part of the 100% criteria (you only have to get one to 255 to get all the in-game achievements if you even care about those, since the achievements don't unlock anything).

Oh my god, I'm glad I broke that completionist part of my brain sometime in college. :stonk: I just don't have that kind of time and patience anymore. These days I play games until I don't feel like playing them anymore. That said, I still got a lot of time and enjoyment out of HyWar. Very good game. Highly recommended.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

Games have gotten way worse in general to 100% compared to the GC/PS2/OGBox era; it's often just not worth it to scrape every last bit of stale, nasty game out of the bottom of the game barrel

in conjunction with me having way less time I've become extremely sensitive to artificial game lengthening schemes

There's that, and also there are a shitload more games to choose from than there used to be. Why should I bash my head against squeezing every last drop of content out of a game when I can just go play one of the other million games out there?

That said I do still occasionally do 100% stuff. I got 100% perfection in Stardew Valley last month and had a blast the whole time, and I do still complete my Pokedex every time.

Really it does just come down to play the game until it stops being fun.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I got my Joycons fixed after they'd been drifting and having connection issues for like a year.

First of all, anybody dragging their feet on setting up a repair because being on the phone is a pain the rear end? You can set up a repair order on the website. There's a dedicated button for Joycon repairs. They don't even ask any questions. Just "Yeah Yeah, here's a shipping label. Send us your Joycons."

When I got mine back (they look new, but I can't tell), the right Joycon was DOA. System wasn't recognizing that it was connected, lights wouldn't come on when I pushed buttons after detaching it, nada. So once again I turned to the support page. Anybody needing some help from old Ninty, do try their live chat function! I don't know if it's new... but this was the first time I tried it. Worked great. Got in touch with a customer service rep within 5 minutes, he asked me some basic questions, took me through some troubleshooting steps, and I got my right Joycon working again!

Friends don't let friends put up with Joycon drift. Get your poo poo fixed! Namaste.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

b_d posted:

oh? what did you do?

Did you know there's a tiny little reset button under where it slides into the rails? Right between the teeny tiny shoulder buttons? Well, I didn't either. The guy had me press that and slide the thing back on the system and click. It was working again!

Not quite as basic as "Turn it off an on again," (Guy had me do that too) but close! In any case, I have two functioning Joycons again so I'm pleased as punch.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Serious question. Is it worth getting Metroid Dread digital or not?

It looks like it'll be a single time experience and a quickish one at that, at most 2. I usually trade those in, and I have Skyward Sword on cartridge here that could go very far in lessening the price on Dread.

On the other hand, I could see myself getting in the mood to replay it one day in the far future, like I do with Super Metroid and Link to the Past. Like I wouldn't revisit Samus Returns, but other ones I would and do. So in that sense maybe it'd be better to get it digitally?

I bought Dark Souls physically, which I now regret, because I definitely will never trade that in. Same with BotW.

So is Dread good enough to be a keeper?

Because then the next matter is getting vouchers and then asking what my 2nd voucher is going to be dropped on (probably Triangle Strategy...)

Even if you get it physical, it's not like it'll just explode once you finish it once. :shrug: So, unless you sell it/lend it out immediately upon finishing, you could just grab it from its case when the replay mood strikes you.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

b_d posted:

skipped two pages to say i always go digital and when that poo poo becomes unavailable in the future i will simply pirate it. god is smiling

Yeah that's my take on it. By the time stuff getting taken down off the digital storefront becomes an issue, emulators and pirating should be more than viable, so I don't sweat it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I hadn't checked out the OP in awhile, and I got a few hearty chuckles out of it when I clicked the link in your post. :golfclap: Well done on the OP, OP.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Google Butt posted:

can I get some chill game suggestions that aren't Stardew, Portia or animals crossing thanks

Yoshi's Crafted World is very chill. Just go 'round collecting things.

Untitled Goose Game is also super chill. I spent a day playing that when I was feeling like poo poo after getting my COVID vaccine. Really great chill and be a horrible goose game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Frankston posted:

guys what is the chillest game of all time. I'm talking, so chill that my switch will freeze over and I'll be forced to go outside.

What's the Subnautica sequel that takes place in a frozen environment? Below Zero? Absolute Zero? Something like that.

That one.

Or Red Lantern.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Any recs for a good exploration/adventure game?

I mostly just want to poke around environments, not super concerned with combat.

Depending on your anime tolerance, I can recommend both Xenoblade Chronicles games. I love exploring in games, and I spent hours just tooling around the huge environments, poking my nose in every nook and cranny to see what kind of mischief I could get up to while I ignored the plot. Turns out... usually a lot! The environments in both are very pretty, too.

It's older, but if you like Zelda games, there's Okami. Very pretty game, lots of big areas to explore and things to poke to see what they do. A lot of your Brush techniques have interactions with NPCs and the environment. You can chop down trees, make NPCs dance or run up and pet you, blow people's laundry around in the wind, etc. Very chill, very enjoyable to just wander around in. Oh, and there's a dedicated bark button, and most living things will react if you bark at them.

And seconding Breath of the Wild if you somehow haven't played that yet.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 14, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I was surprised to find that my handheld/docked playtime is almost a 50/50 split. In my mind I play mostly docked. :shrug: But I guess the numbers don't lie.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

FFXIV Porn posted:

this is bait and no one should take it

I knew a guy who expressed the exact opposite opinion of that bait. He was adamant that paying anything less than full price for a game was literally stealing from the devs.

Like if you paid for the game, like on a Steam sale, for anything less than full price, you were no better than someone who pirated the game. :psyduck:

I pressed the guy 5 different ways and yes, he meant it literally and would not budge on the opinion. I am baffled to this day.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

In SR4, is the entire map open from the beginning of the game, or does it unlock as you play the story? I ask because a few bucks is a great asking price for a game I'd get solely to drive/jump around in while listening to the radio.

I seem to remember SR3 being open from the get-go, but I could be mistaken.

It's been a hot minute since I've played either game but I think the whole map is available from the beginning. You should have plenty of space to live out your fantasies of being in The Matrix.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I use a mix of digital and cartridges for my games, the former mostly for games like Animal Crossing I play all the time, as well as stuff that happens to be on sale super cheap. Being able to use hand-me-downs is handy.

Physical with the Switch is arguably a bit less of a hassle than other consoles, since the carts are much smaller and easier to carry around than disks.

This is mostly how I do it too. Digital for games I come back to a lot, physical for one and done games or ones I want to share with my husband. Unsure which of those SMTV will fall under. I guess it'll depend on which format has a better deal. I got some Christmas money to spend.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ugh. I put down Metroid Dread for a bit. Just decided to pick it back up and I'm stuck. I'm in Ferenia. I fell through some one-way blocks... and it seems the only way out of the area I'm in is to target a bunch of green lights connected to more green lights on a block. So something like a missile diffuser? Do I have such an ability? I don't remember! I had a look through my status screen and mission log and I don't see anything that sounds like that. Can anybody help?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Foul Fowl posted:

if you hold down the missile button does it charge an ability? i literally just finished the game. it was really good. the final boss was great. i liked how samus spends the whole game being a bad motherfucker.

It did not. But then I wandered around mashing my face against every wall and found some blocks I could shoot, and lo and behold the next upgrade I got was basically a missile diffuser.

I am extremely bad at this game but I love it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I ran into quite a few Shinespark puzzles in Dread that look truly fiendish. I haven't looked up how to actually do them... but I can already tell they might just be beyond me. I got 100% item completion in Fusion and Zero Mission, but I don't think I have the time, brain power, or patience to do that in Dread. I love the game, but yeesh some of these Shinespark things just look nasty.

I also bought SMTV on sale with my Christmas money. That'll get here in like a week. Plenty of time to finish up Dread.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I saved all the Shinespark puzzles in Dread for one final loop and had to use a guide for a couple of them because, like, it never would have occurred to me to Shinespark in ball mode for example, but in terms of actually doing them only one of them took me more than 10 tries max. Learning to stall out of Screw Attack for the mid-air spark was the hardest part, but I did every Shinespark in the game in about half an hour, really not bad

I wish to know more abut this wizardry. A bunch of them I gave up on after waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many attempts seemed to require somehow Shinesparking in mid-air and I could not for the life of me figure out how to jump without a) spinning or b) burning the boost too early.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I am at the final boss of Dread and he is a capital D Dick. I am not a fan. :mad:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

When it's gold you shouldn't bother shooting. Bait parries and blast it then.

I can consistently get to his third phase, but from there he just wrecks me. I really do not like this man.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

power bombs explode that dark circle thing and give you a massive amount of health and missles

:aaa: YOU ARE A loving GOD THANK YOU. I will try this!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

power bombs explode that dark circle thing and give you a massive amount of health and missles

HOLY poo poo YES that was the exact thing I needed to know to beat his rear end! I did iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! :woop: :woop: GAME BEATEN!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

nachos posted:

I’m weak and bad at video games and have sat on the final Metroid dread boss for weeks now. Can’t muster the motivation to take the time to beat that rear end in a top hat.

I am terribad at the game and I managed to beat him! You can do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Chikimiki posted:

So I just got a Switch with Pokémon Shining Pearl for my birthday/Xmas and I was wondering what other games to get.
Of course there are all the exclusives like Mario or Zelda, there is a huge amount of indie games (most of which I already have on PC), and there is a sale going on as well! Are there any must haves in that sale? Are sales frequent like on Steam? Should I rebuy all my PC indie games? Or should I just go with BotW?
So many questions, thanks if you can help me out here guys!

You want Mario Odyssey and BotW at minimum. Anything beyond that depends on your tastes, but those two are the absolute must haves.

Sales of anything that isn't first-party are pretty frequent. You can track them on Deku Deals. First party games rarely go on sale. If they do, it's around the holidays. So, if you see anything first party you want that's on sale, better grab it!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Happy new years eve goons I am playing picross in the middle of my cities nightclub district on break from work at 8pm. Free stux or I shall rise in his place even more terrible and mad. Thanks.

Happy New Year's Eve! I will be making pea soup and playing Anime High School (Persona 4, on PC) because SMTV hasn't arrived yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Harriet Carker posted:

I actually ended up disliking Dread because it's a ridiculously linear game disguised as an open game. The item progression and especially teleporter location constantly funnels the player toward the next objective, and the game frequently blocks once opened doors to prevent backtracking.

I am surprised to see so many people praising how open it feels.

Be like me and have the memory of a goldfish and an absolutely piss-poor sense of direction! Feel constantly lost, wander around mashing your face into everything until you randomly stumble on the path forward! :haw:

I'm serious, btw, I loved the game and I don't get any of the linearity complaints at all, for the above reasons.