Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I'm going to have to play these at some point to find out what everyone's talking about. What a terrible tragedy for me.

Ohno! But what if you like them? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

wizard2 posted:

I absolutely do that in anything like FF5 or Bravely.

SEVERE OFF TOPIC POSTING, MODS DO NOT LOOK -- NO BAN ME: the absolutely ridiculously unheard of for any Dungeons & Dragons anything total respec in Baldur's Gate 3 makes some fun like healer girl>bulwark knight. in my second run of BG3, Gale the Wizard became Gale the Throwzerker who has the wimpiest Rage battlecry sound clip the game has to offer :)

In Dragon Age 1 I made Wynne (healer grandma) into an Arcane Warrior or whatever it was called so she could equip armor and 2h weapons using her INT/WIS instead of STR/CON. I had a fight where she used a claymore to do an epic slow motion finishing blow on a giant dragon while I, the player, wooted extensively irl

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kheldarn posted:

Ohno! But what if you like them? :ohdear:

That's my worry too!! I am willing to take this risk. for the forums.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm excited for you playing Stranger of Paradise.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I really want another final fantasy game to use x-2s atb system someday

Though honestly I'd be totally ok just iterating on ff7r's combat as well

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

HopperUK posted:

I'm going to have to play these at some point to find out what everyone's talking about. What a terrible tragedy for me.

Tough but fair imo.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

the next FF game should be Ivalice: Total War

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I also should really continue SOP. Once I commit to downloading and installing one of the loving fixes that let the game play correctly on my CPU. Godamnit Koei Chaos.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
More games with job systems should be like X-2 and give each party member their own unique outfit for every job.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

hammers aren't bad enough to negate the foebreakers natural advantages, especially in the two class system

Yeah that's fair, I was just thinking about the single job system. Somehow I still have IZJS on the brain.

Really any heavy armor job is fantastic in the two-job system because it can be used to give heavy armor access to other physical jobs and supercharge their damage with the STR bonuses. In particular, Samurai, Monk, Shikari, and Archer all love getting heavy armor access.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Archer can actually get endgame heavy from shemhezai with almost no competition. The biggest alternative is red mage for esuna and cleanse, and red mage is one of archers best combos anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Archer can actually get endgame heavy from shemhezai with almost no competition. The biggest alternative is red mage for esuna and cleanse, and red mage is one of archers best combos anyway

Oh sure, it's just you can have it from much earlier with a heavy armor second job. Similarly Bushi can get the Genji equipment at endgame, but it's still nice to have heavy armor before then. That's one of the two reasons I love Knight/Bushi so much in Zodiac Age--you get heavy armor-boosted katanas for most of the game, and then White Robe-boosted Excalibur at endgame.

Archer/Red Mage is definitely the stronger option for much of the game, though. It's really just if you prefer to use your Archer as an archer or if you'd rather use it as support for Red Mage's fire magic. (Assuming you're not just running multiples of some jobs, though multiple Archers wouldn't be my choice if I was doing that.)

Also I think my takes are skewed a bit since I most recently played with Struggle for Freedom and that switched things up enough that Archer/Red Mage is less excellent than it is in Zodiac Age. I haven't played regular Zodiac Age in a long while so there's stuff I've forgotten I think.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 5, 2024

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I should play V again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've still never finished FFV. I have no idea why, there's no good reason, I think I just keep trying to play it at a time when I'm not quite ready for an SNES FF.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Rhonne posted:

More games with job systems should be like X-2 and give each party member their own unique outfit for every job.

They should also come with the Sailor Moon changing sequences too.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Horace Kinch posted:

They should also come with the Sailor Moon changing sequences too.

This is vitally important.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

X-2 came when I was a teenage boy desperate to prove that he wasn’t gay (and it turns out I’m not, but it was still something insecure teen boys had to think about at the time) and I don’t think I ever really gave it a fair shake, does it hold up? I should try it again, I did really like X

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
clive

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ainsley McTree posted:

X-2 came when I was a teenage boy desperate to prove that he wasn’t gay (and it turns out I’m not, but it was still something insecure teen boys had to think about at the time) and I don’t think I ever really gave it a fair shake, does it hold up? I should try it again, I did really like X

It's a good game but it's a pain in the rear end. It has one of the best ATB systems in the whole series and a pretty good job system implementation as well. But the way the story is presented is real weird. Just how there's a lot of open endedness that leads to things being locked out. It's a game that's designed for multiple playthroughs and that sort of thing annoys me personally.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Subject change, then.

Do people prefer FFs with more rigid job roles (IV, IX, XV, arguably X/XIII/VII-Remake), free flexibility (V, X-2, XII), or some middle-road where characters have a certain role/identity but can still freely access things like magic, just limited by stats (VI, VII, VIII)?
I generally prefer the ones with more flexibility, but I'm open to fixed roles if the storytelling and character writing are up to snuff. Since completing my run of the first Final Fantasy (PR), I've been making my way through the other old titles. FFII and III's writing is often amateurish, but their underlying systems kept me engaged. Now I'm on IV and, respectfully, while I appreciate the history behind it, what a milestone something like this must have been for the SNES, I find myself missing the flexibility of the first three games.

FFV is my favorite in the franchise to play and replay, but IX is my favorite cast and story; and I find myself wishing IX had V's systems more often than I wish V had IX's story. Of course a lot would have to change to make that work, but spiritually at least that's how I feel.

EDIT: Another thing that works is having classes as characters, but you can choose which characters you have in your party. FFVI does this, though espers make everyone homogeneous eventually.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 6, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's a lot of fun, just please don't try to 100% it.

The battle system is probably the best version of the ATB system they've ever done IMO

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
@FFXVI 91% through the main campaign

about to AP/EXP grind and try to slowly ween myself off of Ring of Timely Strikes

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Also this might just be the PR versions (I've never played any other versions), but after years of hearing people call it The Bad One, I didn't expect II to be my favorite of the NES titles.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Also this might just be the PR versions (I've never played any other versions), but after years of hearing people call it The Bad One, I didn't expect II to be my favorite of the NES titles.

FF2 is bad in the sense that min/maxxers playing unpatched versions of the game older than I guess either GBA or PSP will be "forced" to perform odd grinding behavior for their numbers! oh dear heavens :ohdear:

the regular Battle Theme is the best one, I feel :)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Bad Seafood posted:

Hell yeah, I enjoyed 1-3 all more than 4 post PR remasters. Just nice breezy games you can zoom through.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Gonna echo that it has the best ATB system ever used in a FF game. It's a solid pick and is basically the FF equivalent of Charlie's Angels. There is a some missable content though so explore areas *thoroughly.*

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The thing about FFX-2 is that it is an absolute nightmare to 100% even with a detailed guide. There are so many tiny little things that add to completion percentage that you can like walk one screen too far and miss forever.

But if you don't care about completion percent (which I recommend, that way lies madness), FFX-2's a blast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

The thing about FFX-2 is that it is an absolute nightmare to 100% even with a detailed guide. There are so many tiny little things that add to completion percentage that you can like walk one screen too far and miss forever.

But if you don't care about completion percent (which I recommend, that way lies madness), FFX-2's a blast.

The thing I think always gets left out about this is that it is literally impossible to see everything FFX-2 has in a single playthrough. There is a route split and you're going to not see everything on that route split without doing a NG+, and everything on the route split counts towards percentage. If you're really in it for the story then you should be doing a NG+ anyway at which point it's trivial to get maxed percentage and if you're not then there's no reason whatsoever to go for max %.

There's also bonus percentage for things like failing missions or seeing different scenes or whatever. The '100% in one run" thing is basically just a very specific set of options that get 100% but isn't really worth it on a single playthrough instead of just having fun.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 6, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Subject change, then.

Do people prefer FFs with more rigid job roles (IV, IX, XV, arguably X/XIII/VII-Remake), free flexibility (V, X-2, XII), or some middle-road where characters have a certain role/identity but can still freely access things like magic, just limited by stats (VI, VII, VIII)?

It feels to me like a lot of people came around on FFXII after The Zodiac Age, and of course one of the key improvements of Zodiac Age was the job system. In the original, XII was arguably even worse than FFVIII at "everyone is indistinguishable" because at least in VIII you had meaningfully different Limit Breaks. Quickenings are stupid and all flash with no mechanical differences between if it's Penelo or Basch doing them.

Similarly, FFX's gameplay utterly collapses in enjoyability when you reach the "postgame" and everyone does 99,999 and you only use Wakka the most because Attack Reels does 99,999 better than everyone else.

So yeah, give me job systems and set roles. Stats matter in this, too. Sure, with Chrono Cross, it's kinda like materia in that you can give every character (for the most part) any Element, but their stats are so wildly differentiated that it matters, to say nothing of Innates. You don't wanna give Black Elements to a White Innate and you don't wanna give loads of magic elements to a physical powerhouse like Norris instead of a mage like Riddel. In FFVII or FFXII, stats are so similar that you can have Barret or Basch as your mage and it doesn't matter at all. And then of course in FFVIII Junctions means you can build everyone identically with 255 in everything like it's the postgame of FFX.

I can only think the justification for "everyone can do everything" is because they want us to be able to use our favorites without issue. Like, Elly from Xenogears is the second most important party member and I like her character a lot. But she's really bad in terms of gameplay unless you know how to build her just right, which of course is not something a first-time player has any clue about. Garnet is objectively worSe than Eiko in every way in FFIX even if sHe's the lead lady of the game. But if everyone plays the same, none of this will matter.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Subject change, then.

Personally I prefer fixed jobs. In FF7/8/X everyone could do everything with enough grinding. FF9 is one of my favorites because I know exactly who is doing what. I can use Vivi to zap enemies, Steiner to whack poo poo with a sword, Quina's blue magic for utility, etc.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I'm sorry that you seem to ignore or downplay that he literally punches a woman out for arguing with him. Like, that's not 'warping the narrative', that is the literal text of that scene. That's a step too far for me, even if it apparently isn't for you.

I keep comparing him to Jotaro Kujo, and I actually didn't bring up that I dislike Jotaro for a very similar reason. I didn't bring that up because I just assumed that something like that wouldn't happen in this, so it would've just felt like a weird non-sequitir of a comparison point, but... welp.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anyone who hates jack garland must die

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The ideal path would be fixed jobs but also the ability to swap party members in and out in battle. This is the one thing I think FF7R is really missing.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

Subject change, then.

First I'd discard "stats as a limit", not because it can't exist but because FF has never really wanted to address it--Ⅴ was technically there but it was meaningless even before "your VIT character is now a slightly different blend of AGI/INT to the other two mixed AGI/INT characters", Ⅵ everyone but Mog who joins at an unfortunately high level can come within a few points of capping both, so on. Honestly, I think Ⅲ's "HP gains by class at each level" is probably the hardest this goes (which is unfortunate because otherwise jobs are essentially gear-that-mandates-other-gear there.)

But beyond that, I think the ideal is something like Ⅴ, or Ⅹ almost did this except for overdrives, where there are fairly mild mechanical pushes to put each character in their "intended" job but they're overpowered by the history of the jobs they have taken. Get rid of the stat fetishism, a character's choices are mostly informed by their personal story that you the player created--Butz may be a slightly better Knight or Samurai and Lenna a slightly better White or Black Mage, but Butz who was a White Mage is a far better Black Mage than Lenna who was a Knight, and she in turn a much better Samurai than that Butz.

NikkolasKing posted:

Similarly, FFX's gameplay utterly collapses in enjoyability when you reach the "postgame" and everyone does 99,999 and you only use Wakka the most because Attack Reels does 99,999 better than everyone else.

This is a real big point as early as Ⅴ, though. The end of "attacks are composed of x hits and capped only by hardware limitations" means that any character who can cap and still has a multihit attack ends up long-term superior--for all that magic is the best choice 99% of the time in Ⅵ, the single best turbo-endgame character is melee build Locke because he has the easiest road to 9999 per hit plus melee can do it 8 times a turn resourceless rather than 5 times a turn while spamming ◍︎Quick.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You should be able to change your party composition so that anyone can be in the party, or customize your builds so that anyone can serve any possible role, or neither, but not both. The systems become redundant if they don't carry restrictions.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

"Everyone gets kinda samey when you're 100 hours into the postgame" is a really weird criticism

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It is important for characters to have a unique and irreplaceable role in the party, such as being the only member who wears a hood with cat ears sewn on when acting as a white mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
theres good ways and theres bad ways to do both "everyone has a unique special role just for therm" and "everyone can do everything". original 12 is actually a good example of the latter because while everyone learns the same skills, there are other constraints. rare equipment is often not freely available so for example using shell shield to try to cheese yiazmats death strike without needing to cast shell a bunch can only be done by one person, because theres only 1 easily accessible shell shield. espers are also unique though theyre mostly not as useful (zodiark notwithstanding). i dont think you can just compare original ff12 to za and go "oh they clearly made the system a lot better" because za is also many many many times over easier. theyre basically far enough apart to barely even be the same game. i think if you took za style jobs and tried to put them in base ff12 opinons would sour a lot quicker because base ff12 was well balanced around people being able to do everything.