Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Wrestling is filled with a ton of fun content besides the matches themselves. Throughout 2021, we started to recognize those moments more often in Jerusalem's MOTY thread, but I thought it would be worth creating a space where we can remember it all in a more organized manner and avoid clogging up the MOTY thread for every little thing.

Promos will likely make up the majority of this thread, but the world of wrestling can be very weird and wacky sometimes. ChocoPro's shoot Janken tournaments (aka Rock/Paper/Scissors) have started to gain a little foothold in the west, and newLegacyInc's video game simulations have also been seeing some nominations in the other thread.

Common Abbreviations:
  • POTYC: Promo of the Year Candidate
  • HP: Honorable Promo
  • WPOTYC: Worst Promo of the Year Candidate

• SOTYC: Simulation of the Year Candidate
  • JOTYC: Janken of the Year Candidate
  • EOTYC: Entrance of the Year Candidate

Feel free to create your own category if you'd like to nominate something that doesn't really fit (or if you think a more specific category would be good silliness).

We'll follow a similar nomination style here for now but I don't expect this thread will see as much action as the best matches thread, so we might make adjustments to the numbers depending on how things shake out. For reference, here's the numbers we use in the other thread to determine if something makes the list.

Thresholds (subject to change):
  • Best - 7 votes
  • Worst - 5 votes
  • Honorable Mention - 7 votes (or at least 4 'Best' votes)

That's not really too important for now, let's just have fun remembering the best of the best (and the worst of the worst).

RULES:
  • At minimum, please provide the date, participants, and the show the promo aired on (social media promos that didn't air on a specific show are also okay).
  • If you'd like to give your nomination a short title/descriptor based on the content of the promo, that'll go a long way to make it more memorable at the end of the year, especially if there's just one person delivering the promo (i.e. 'Andrade's 1/7 Rampage promo' vs 'Andrade offers to purchase a small child from Mr. Sting')
  • Please spoiler tag any participants that may be considered a surprise. Not really applicable for something like CM Punk's return, but use your best judgement.
  • Links are very welcome and should hopefully be more prevalent throughout this thread since promos are typically made available on Twitter or YouTube. No torrents or anything that would be considered :filez: please.
  • If you are nthing someone else's post, please say so clearly!
  • If you think something is memorable, then it belongs in this thread. :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Promo of the Year Candidates:
1/19 - Jon Moxley returns from rehab - AEW Dynamite - YouTube
1/19 - Cody Rhodes' mental breakdown - AEW Dynamite - YouTube
2/23 - MJF won't quit - AEW Dynamite - YouTube
3/02 - CM Punk & MJF hug it out - AEW Dynamite - YouTube

Sports Entertainment of the Year Candidate:
3/16 - Commencement of the Jericho Appreciation Society - AEW Dynamite - YouTube

Finish of the Year Candidates:
2/04 - Ricky Starks (c) vs Jay Lethal - FTW Championship - AEW Rampage - Twitter - Replay angle
2/09 - Hangman Page vs Lance Archer - AEW Championship Texas Deathmatch - Youtube (@4:00)

Entrance of the Year Candidates:
2/09 - MJF - AEW Dynamite - YouTube
3/06 - CM Punk enters to Miseria Cantare - AEW Revolution - Twitter
3/19 - NEO Biishiki-gun full squad entrance - TJPW Grand Princess - Twitter

------------------------------------

Honorable Promos:
1/07 - Andrade El Idolo invests in child labor - AEW Rampage - Twitter
2/16 - Storytime with Jon Moxley & Bryan Danielson - AEW Dynamite - YouTube
2/22 - Chaos Project have been training and tanning together - AEW Dark - YouTube (@12:43)
2/23 - Chris Jericho reads Eddie Kingston like a book - AEW Dynamite - YouTube
3/08 - Eddie Kingston reacts to his PPV win - AEW Road to Ft. Myers - YouTube (@3:48)
3/09 - William Regal returns to wrestling - AEW Dynamite - YouTube
3/11 - Hikaru Shida has missed Serena Deeb so much - AEW Rampage - Twitter

Honorable Birthday:
1/10 - Miho Abe & Suzuki-Gun - JTO TakiTaichiMania 3 - YouTube

Honorable Angle:
1/12 - DragonGate Open the New Year Gate Night 4 - Aftermath of Triangle Gate match between Masquerade & R.E.D. - BiliBili (match begins at 2hr mark)

Honorable Video Package:
1/12 - Blind PAC - AEW Dynamite - YouTube

Honorable Debut:
2/09 - Keith Lee - AEW Dynamite - YouTube

Honorable Shows:
2/09 - AEW Dynamite in Atlantic City
3/06 - AEW Revolution in Orlando

Honorable Commentary:
2/15 - Taz & Excalibur commentating MT Nakazawa vs Joey Sweets - AEW Dark - Youtube (@35:47)

Honorable Crowd:
3/06 - Orlando, FL - AEW Revolution

Honorable Entrances:
3/09 - Jeff Hardy dances to the ring while his brother gets his rear end kicked - AEW Dynamite - Youtube (@4:30)

Honorable Guest Commentator:
3/16 - William Regal commentating Danielson & Mox vs Workhorsemen - AEW Dynamite

Penguin Patrol fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 20, 2022

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Worst Promo of the Year Candidate:
2/03 - Brandi Rhodes vs Dan Lambert in 'Cleveland' - AEW Dynamite

Worst Finish of the Year Candidate:
1/29 - Roman Reigns vs Seth Rollins DQ Finish - WWE Royal Rumble

-------------

ALMOST BEST
1/10 - Birthday of the Year - Miho Abe & Suzuki-Gun - TakiTaichiMania 3 - 6 votes
2/09 - Show of the Year - AEW Dynamite in Atlantic City - 6 votes
2/16 - POTYC - Storytime with Jon Moxley & Bryan Danielson - AEW Dynamite - 6 votes
2/16 - HP - Adam Page & Adam Cole: A Tale of Two Adams - AEW Dynamite - 5 votes
2/23 - POTYC - Chris Jericho reads Eddie Kingston like a book - AEW Dynamite - 6 votes
3/06 - Show of the Year - AEW Revolution - 5 votes
3/08 - POTYC - Eddie Kingston reacts to his PPV victory - AEW Road to Ft. Myers - 5 votes
3/09 - POTYC - William Regal returns to wrestling - AEW Dynamite - 6 votes
3/09 - Entrance of the Year - Jeff Hardy dances to the ring while his brother gets his rear end kicked - AEW Dynamite - 5 votes

ALMOST WORST
1/04 - WPOTYC - The women of NXT at the gym - YouTube - 4 votes
1/10 - Biggest Hype Fail - MLW Azteca not delivering on the promise of a Lucha Underground sequel - 3 votes
1/19 - Worst Fans of the Year - Washington DC Hecklers - AEW Dynamite - 4 votes
1/29 - Worst Premium Live Event - WWE Royal Rumble - 4 votes
3/06 - Worst Entrance Gear - Adam Cole's $20 Master Chief costume - AEW Revolution - 3 votes
3/08 - WPOTYC - Lash Legend & Nikkita Lyons - NXT Roadblock - YouTube - 3 votes

Penguin Patrol fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 20, 2022

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Let's get things started with a nomination

HP: Andrade El Idolo offers to purchase a small child from Mr. Sting - AEW Rampage 1/07
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1479654310237638656?s=20

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Penguin Patrol posted:

HP: Andrade El Idolo offers to purchase a small child from Mr. Sting - AEW Rampage 1/07

Seconded

I’m glad this thread exists, now :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Great idea for a thread, I threw in a link in the OP of the MOTY thread.

Penguin Patrol posted:

Thirding! Andrade and his misunderstanding of how friendship works is the best.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HP: Andrade investing in child labour, AEW Rampage, 07/01

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Great idea for a thread, I threw in a link in the OP of the MOTY thread.

Thanks, and thanks for sustaining a nice template for me to blatantly steal from :)

I'm creating a spreadsheet to track it all now and I'm questioning what I've gotten myself into lol

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

HP, Andrade getting a bit Kevin Spacey, AEW Rampage, 7th of January

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Penguin Patrol posted:

I'm questioning what I've gotten myself into lol

:twisted:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

Nth

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WPOTYC: Whatever the gently caress this skit was, featuring Kacy Catanzaro, Kayden Carter, and Amari Miller, NXT 1/4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWn2mtbJesM

Some of the worst "acting" you will ever see in a pro wrestling segment

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Benne posted:

WPOTYC: Whatever the gently caress this skit was, featuring Kacy Catanzaro, Kayden Carter, and Amari Miller, NXT 1/4

2nd'd

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Benne posted:

For some reason you uploaded some edited version, which is pretty unfair in my opinion. People should vote for it based on the real thing:

https://streamable.com/kgijtv

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

For some reason you uploaded some edited version, which is pretty unfair in my opinion. People should vote for it based on the real thing:

https://streamable.com/kgijtv

nth on those grounds

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Benne posted:

Hahahaaha Nth.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
EOTYC:

rear end Boys chillwave theme :mmmhmm:

[edit]\/\/\/ I'll make it this one from Dark 1/11, since the entrance itself is also funny.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 12, 2022

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hmm, I was gonna put this in a Theme of the Year category, but it was technically a 2021 track. Maybe you can find a specific entrance this year to point to instead? Chances are high there'll be something fun since they like to change it up often.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

from the OP, POTYC means piss off & take your crap. just kidding. i will edit in some nominations, in this post, later on if i remember.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
BOTYC: 1/10 - Miho Abe - JTO TakaTaichiMania 3

I think any birthday where Minoru Suzuki personally delivers your cake would have to be considered a BOTYC. Happened after the very heartfelt main event of Taichi vs DOUKI and some post-match promos.

Timestamped to about 7:15 when the birthday starts, and there are English subtitles that can be turned on (highly recommended):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soi3YcDZ-vg&t=435s

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Penguin Patrol posted:

I think any birthday where Minoru Suzuki personally delivers your cake would have to be considered a BOTYC. Happened after the very heartfelt main event of Taichi vs DOUKI and some post-match promos.

Timestamped to about 7:15 when the birthday starts, and there are English subtitles that can be turned on (highly recommended):

Nth, Suzuki-gun are a wholesome bunch of lads (and Miho) :3:

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Penguin Patrol posted:

Nth, Suzuki-Gun rules

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Penguin Patrol posted:

4thed. Glorious :3:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angle of the Year
12th January
Dragongate Open The New Year Gate Night 4
Masquerade/RED Triangle Gate Match aftermath

Just loving great pro wrestling. Masquerade lose after Shun is accidentally hit by Kota with RED'S box. Eita & Kaito Ishida don't even pick up their belts. Inside the ring Shun is screaming at Minoura to apologise. Which is hilarious because Shun hit Kota plenty, and he deliberately caused Dragon Dia to lose his belt. Skywalker has been slowly losing his mind for a while now, so when HYO pounces to try get him to join RED he accepts and hugs HYO! Eita is like "shut the gently caress up kid, who are you to add anyone to RED? You're fired from RED." Only for RED to all jump Eita & Kaito instead, Shun included.

So. Now the top heel faction have a new leader and may change branding entirely. The top face faction have lost their leader & may not exist anymore either.

And if that wasn't enough GM Ryo Saito comes out to say SB KENTo hasn't fought yet, so there's one match left, the Champion music rings out so we know the Brave Gate belt is on the line and we hear the start of Dragon Dia's music and he returns for the first time since losing his mask a month ago. And he has a skateboard that makes English commentator Jae scream "do a kickflip". Match starts, RED try to cheat, Dia Inferno turns up and HYO offers to let him throw the white powder and he throws it at HYO instead before taking off his mask. Quick Reptilian, 1-2-3, New Champion! Yuki Yoshioka/Dia Inferno & Dragon Dia hug, RED try to get their heat back, SB KENTo is very mad. loving got to love it.
Just exquisite booking and execution. Dragongate rules

I know that's a lot of spoilers but in case any DG casual viewers haven't seen it yet, it's less than 24 hours and warrants being seen unspoiled.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HP: the Eddie Kingston/Jericho promo from the Jan 12 Dynamite

Edit: Honorable Angle: the Hangman/Dan Lambert/Lance Archer 1/12/22 segment

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 13, 2022

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Penguin Patrol posted:

yes

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Punch McLightning posted:

mmhm

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Edit: Honorable Angle: the Hangman/Dan Lambert/Lance Archer 1/12/22 segment

nth to both

VOTYC: Blind PAC, AEW Dynamite, 12 Jan

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Penguin Patrol posted:

Yes. Suzuki-gun ichiban!

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kevino07 posted:

nthing these

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

Angle of the Year
12th January

Absolutely seconded, and it's even better when you take into account the whole RED/Masquerade feud building throughout last year: The Triangle Gate feud, Dia & Yoshioka's huge rivalry, and Shun & Diamante's feud that caused all the mask problems, as well as the rising tension within both RED and Masquerade for several months. They managed to pull off satisfying conclusions to ALL of that in one night. It's the most plot advancement I can remember happening in a promotion in so little time.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Botch of the Year Canidate:
Jan 11 Stardom Nagoya Supreme Fight press conference

Mayu's inability to say Ryogoku Kokugikan

https://twitter.com/wwr_stardom/status/1480842337047953410

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
VOTYC: Blind PAC, AEW Dynamite, 12/01

Also remembered this was eligible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYOzvysTO-k&t=398s

POTYC: Ruby Soho/Jade Cargill, AEW Road to Dynamite, 04/01

(Let's be honest, I mostly mean Ruby)

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Kevino07 posted:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Angle of the Year
12th January

Just loving great pro wrestling. Masquerade lose after Shun is accidentally hit by Kota with RED'S box. Eita & Kaito Ishida don't even pick up their belts. Inside the ring Shun is screaming at Minoura to apologise. Which is hilarious because Shun hit Kota plenty, and he deliberately caused Dragon Dia to lose his belt. Skywalker has been slowly losing his mind for a while now, so when HYO pounces to try get him to join RED he accepts and hugs HYO! Eita is like "shut the gently caress up kid, who are you to add anyone to RED? You're fired from RED." Only for RED to all jump Eita & Kaito instead, Shun included.

So. Now the top heel faction have a new leader and may change branding entirely. The top face faction have lost their leader & may not exist anymore either.

And if that wasn't enough GM Ryo Saito comes out to say SB KENTo hasn't fought yet, so there's one match left, the Champion music rings out so we know the Brave Gate belt is on the line and we hear the start of Dragon Dia's music and he returns for the first time since losing his mask a month ago. And he has a skateboard that makes English commentator Jae scream "do a kickflip". Match starts, RED try to cheat, Dia Inferno turns up and HYO offers to let him throw the white powder and he throws it at HYO instead before taking off his mask. Quick Reptilian, 1-2-3, New Champion! Yuki Yoshioka/Dia Inferno & Dragon Dia hug, RED try to get their heat back, SB KENTo is very mad. loving got to love it.
Just exquisite booking and execution. Dragongate rules

I know that's a lot of spoilers but in case any DG casual viewers haven't seen it yet, it's less than 24 hours and warrants being seen unspoiled.

nth

There are people not watching Dragon Gate right now and they're all wrong.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

forkboy84 posted:

Angle of the Year
12th January

Just loving great pro wrestling.

nth, this was a ton of fun. As a non DG watcher, I thought the match itself was compelling in a unique way and the post-match was nuts but easy enough to follow. Dragon Dia's music will be stuck in my head for a few weeks.

Here's a bilibili for the show, entrances start at the 2 hour mark
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1wR4y1g7ba

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm not sure what category to put this in. Most Under-delivery on Hype? Biggest Disappointment? Something like that.

MLW Azteca:
-Spring 2021: Awesome, a LuchaAzteca Underground stable in MLW! Dario Cueto's here! :haw:
-Summer 2021: Holy poo poo, a spinoff! LU's spiritual successor is getting its own brand featuring your old favorites! :D
-Autumn 2021: Soooo we couldn't get a TV deal, now it's a miniseries. And it'll have... some... of your old favorites. :geno:
-Winter 2022: Uh, here. We taped some The Crash Lucha Libre shows with MLW guys on it. Some of the luchadors are from AAA, and that's basically the same thing right? Anyway it still has MLW matches like any other Fusion episode, but in Mexico. :effort:

Just... What were they thinking? Postpone it if you can't get it together. Don't hype up a LU relaunch and then deliver a mediocre crossover show as if we don't know the difference. There's like 3 LU guys in it and they're not in the same episode, so it's not Lucha Underground and it's barely Azteca Underground. It's not even particularly good in a vacuum as a MLW x Crash series.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sticklefifer posted:

I'm not sure what category to put this in. Most Under-delivery on Hype? Biggest Disappointment? Something like that.

MLW Azteca:
-Spring 2021: Awesome, a LuchaAzteca Underground stable in MLW! Dario Cueto's here! :haw:
-Summer 2021: Holy poo poo, a spinoff! LU's spiritual successor is getting its own brand featuring your old favorites! :D
-Autumn 2021: Soooo we couldn't get a TV deal, now it's a miniseries. And it'll have... some... of your old favorites. :geno:
-Winter 2022: Uh, here. We taped some The Crash Lucha Libre shows with MLW guys on it. Some of the luchadors are from AAA, and that's basically the same thing right? Anyway it still has MLW matches like any other Fusion episode, but in Mexico. :effort:

Just... What were they thinking? Postpone it if you can't get it together. Don't hype up a LU relaunch and then deliver a mediocre crossover show as if we don't know the difference. There's like 3 LU guys in it and they're not in the same episode, so it's not Lucha Underground and it's barely Azteca Underground. It's not even particularly good in a vacuum as a MLW x Crash series.

Jeff Cobb just ripping off the Matazna mask and wrestling as Jeff Cobb, then immediately loving off back to Japan, was a pretty apt metaphor for the whole experiment.

If you wanted a watered-down version of LU that barely resembles what people originally liked about LU, you could just watch Season 4 again.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Benne posted:

If you wanted a watered-down version of LU that barely resembles what people originally liked about LU, you could just watch Season 4 again.

There's no real thread to talk about this, but this reminds me of a video I saw on YouTube the other day called "The Day Lucha Underground Died." I tend to find those "The Day [tv show] Died" videos interesting if done well and I've been wanting to watch a good video on what went wrong with Lucha Underground ever since Matt McMuscles hinted at it getting its own What Happened? episode. I figured I'd get a decent video of a guy articulating why season 4 was so bad.

Instead, the whole video is just this guy running down the card for Ultima Lucha 4, gushing about how fantastic each match is, says nothing about any of the backstage/story segments, then ending it with "Ugh, Jake Strong becomes champion? No wonder this show was cancelled."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I also tried to watch that Azteca show and was severely disappointed. Worst Premiere of the Year? Worst Branding? Most Missed Mark? Shatteredest Expectations? I'll nth it and drop it into the generic BAD tab of my spreadsheet.