Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angle of the Year
12th January
Dragongate Open The New Year Gate Night 4
Masquerade/RED Triangle Gate Match aftermath

Just loving great pro wrestling. Masquerade lose after Shun is accidentally hit by Kota with RED'S box. Eita & Kaito Ishida don't even pick up their belts. Inside the ring Shun is screaming at Minoura to apologise. Which is hilarious because Shun hit Kota plenty, and he deliberately caused Dragon Dia to lose his belt. Skywalker has been slowly losing his mind for a while now, so when HYO pounces to try get him to join RED he accepts and hugs HYO! Eita is like "shut the gently caress up kid, who are you to add anyone to RED? You're fired from RED." Only for RED to all jump Eita & Kaito instead, Shun included.

So. Now the top heel faction have a new leader and may change branding entirely. The top face faction have lost their leader & may not exist anymore either.

And if that wasn't enough GM Ryo Saito comes out to say SB KENTo hasn't fought yet, so there's one match left, the Champion music rings out so we know the Brave Gate belt is on the line and we hear the start of Dragon Dia's music and he returns for the first time since losing his mask a month ago. And he has a skateboard that makes English commentator Jae scream "do a kickflip". Match starts, RED try to cheat, Dia Inferno turns up and HYO offers to let him throw the white powder and he throws it at HYO instead before taking off his mask. Quick Reptilian, 1-2-3, New Champion! Yuki Yoshioka/Dia Inferno & Dragon Dia hug, RED try to get their heat back, SB KENTo is very mad. loving got to love it.
Just exquisite booking and execution. Dragongate rules

I know that's a lot of spoilers but in case any DG casual viewers haven't seen it yet, it's less than 24 hours and warrants being seen unspoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

BBSOTY: Kuma Arashi vs Suwama, AJPW Excite Series Night 1, 5/2/22

(Big Boy Senton of the Year, obviously)

You have to love a nice big boy senton, & Arashi has a beautiful one.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Worst Follow Up Show To A Really Great PPV Of The Year: AEW Dynamite 9th March

It started so well with Eddie & Jericho & all that, then there was a fun little title match followed by Danielson & Moxley having a fun extended squash. Regal's promo was kind of when it started to go wrong. It started great & then it just meandered on & on & kinda expect better from Regal, but he's earned a pass. The Wardlow segment was alright but every match after Danielson & Moxley was just underwhelming. Hirsh & Rosa should've been good but Rosa had no energy. The crowd didn't help but man, that show just wasn't what I expected coming out of Revolution. Oh well, I'm sure they'll regain momentum soon enough.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Match Which Wasn't Great But Way Exceeded my Expectations
10th March
NJPW New Japan Cup Night 5
Gedo vs Tetsuya Naito

For some reason this hit just right and ended up being a lot of fun

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Angle of the Year
25th April
Dragongate Gate of Passion Night 14
Jason Lee decides which faction to join while Shun Skywalker continues to be insane.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

POTYC: El Lindaman giving a show-closing promo to a packed Korakuen telling them to subscribe to New Japan World but also to go out and watch other promotions, particularly GLEAT! - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors Night 7 5/24

Good advice, his bud T-Hawk has a Triple Crown challenge pretty soon, watch AJPW

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Actually, handy this got bumped because it reminded me I had something to nominate

Biggest Disappointment of the Year
22nd April
AEW Rampage
Adam Cole vs Tomohiro Ishii

Boy did this not work. I'm not sure I've seen a worse Ishii singles match, at least not anything he's done in a decade. It's not awful or even really bad, it's just mediocre. No chemistry. Adam Cole looking tiny and throwing dogshit strikes with Ishii. Just did not work for me

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Segment/Angle of the Year contender
27th April
AEW Dynamite
Death Triangle beat down House of Black after Rey Fenix returns

Real fun little moment

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

POTYC: Jun Kasai & El Desperado - JTO (9/6)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iER44mJApI

promo of the year after the match of the year

Yes, 2nded. I loved him talking about keeping the flower. Lovely

"A death match doesn't end until you come how alive" is an excellent sentiment

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

Best Challenge for a title: Dragongate at Korakuen 12/6 - Ben K fedexes a golden rose to Yuki Yoshioka mid-go home promo.

WHILE CLEARLY STILL IN THE BUILDING

Nth

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bonk posted:

I'm late catching up to All Star Junior Festival 2023, because I watched the first few matches, then had too much wrestling to watch and didn't get to see the rest until today.

Commentary Moment of the Year: All-Star Junior Festival 2023 - March 1, 2023

Kazuki Hirata made his name parodying Toryumon stars, notably Magnum Tokyo. He comes out and does the whole TOKYO GO dance routine in the ring. Then his surprise opponent's music hits: It's CIMA, who had a several years long rivalry with Magnum Tokyo. On commentary, Milano Collection A.T. just absolutely DIES laughing.

This was very sweet.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Coolest Spot OTYC
29th April
Ganbare Pro Run Lola Run
MAO does a DDT with the help of a large tire
https://twitter.com/shikamasa/status/1652247586886270976?t=5HeNPFmsAf-eaaBEtkD4NA&s=19

With thanks to DJ Exile for finding the link

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Moment of the Year: Bully Ray shouting "MY BALLS!" after being on the receiving end of a Wazzup Headbutt, Impact Wrestling Against All Odds 6/9

Sounds like he just ripped off everyone's favourite Nia Jax moment, when she screamed "MY BUTT! MY HOLE"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Biggest Explosions of the Year (in wrestling, there's probably bigger ones in warfare)
11th June
All Japan Dynamite Series Night 1
All Asia Tag Team Title
Barbed Wire Double Barricade Mat Megaton Current Blast Deathmatch

Atsushi Onita & Yoshitatsu(c) vs Hikaru Sato & Ryo Kawamura
Skip to 38 minutes to watch

Rarely have their been a more appropriately named show than the Dynamite Series tour kicking off with this match on the card as Atsushi Onita brings his circus to the promotion he got his start in. And holy loving poo poo am I glad I'm not in the ring when those explosives go off because they sounded loud enough to blow out eardrums. It's really cool & I hope Tony Khan takes notes if he ever does another explosion deathmatch. Less is more? No, more is definitely more.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Video About Wrestling of the Year

Kim Justice's video KENTA vs SUWA: An All-Time Great Heel Performance
Watch it, it's half an hour about a match 3rd from top of a show from 18 years ago

Popped up on my Youtube recommendations this morning & hell, you mention SUWA in a video title & I'll probably the watch it because he's a guy who has never gotten his dues. Video gives you a lot of context to make it easy to follow the story here. House of Torture should be made to watch SUWA because that guy was a heat machine, an absolutely superb heel, an all-time wrestling prick.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bonk posted:

Hell yeah, I always loved SUWA back in the Toryumon days. They've been steadily releasing a lot of old Toryumon on the Dragongate Network and it's a real trip to finally see old SUWA matches in HD. Crazy MAX were absolute shitheads back in the day.

It's too bad because SUWA had won the UDG belt and was about to get his big run at the top until he got injured a couple months into his reign, and by the time he was healthy Ultimo was on his way out and CIMA had the belt again before they rebranded to DG. I don't think SUWA would've stuck around otherwise, because he talked poo poo about the company after he left, but it would've been cool to see how far he would've gone.

The good thing of the fallout between SUWA & DG was at least that his NOAH run rocked. And then we even got SUWA challenging Danielson for the ROH World Title in one of those 2006 UK shows (the night after the insane match with Nigel)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I don't want to speak for anyone else but this is the least interested I've been in NJPW since I don't know when, can't even be bothered to watch most of the Tag League

Tag League is THE "this tour exists so you can feel OK taking a month off to recharge your fan batteries before WK when exciting things happen" and has been at least my entire time since getting NJPW World for the first time. The Super J Cast podcast, dedicated solely to cover New Japan, always hand the show off for the duration and let some other sickos cover it.

I don't go that far, there's usually fun stuff to catch, but through the first 7 nights I've watched 6 matches. Picking and choosing is deffo the way to go to avoid HoT and Fale and the mediocre AEW team.

New Japan in 2023 is weird. I'm not particularly enthused by it and then I look at my spreadsheet and I've given them 13 more MOTYC nominations than All Japan, a company I think have had a real good year and keep telling goons to watch. Part of what I'm so into AJPW about is they have a lot of exciting young guys, but then so do New Japan. The NJPW main event scene is lukewarm at best, Okada had been tredding water, Shingo hasn't been spotlighted much and Ospreay hasn't been around as much this year. But other than those things it's really kind of hard to pinpoint why I'm cool on New Japan despite it actually still being a very good year in-ring.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

How the gently caress is Chase Owens still a thing

Once upon a time, 2016 I believe, The Young Bucks were meant to compete in the Best of the Super Juniors tournament, due to start on May 21st. On May 19th they both withdrew because of injuries. So 2 days before the big tournament David Finlay replaced Matt, which was fine, he was already at the Dojo, but Chase Owens got the call, jumped on the first plane he could & flew halfway across the world to get to Tokyo for opening night. And Gedo is loyal to a fault so he's still very grateful & will keep booking him as long as Chase wants to come.

So really, it's The Young Bucks fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Worst Show of the Year: NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo 2/23
An unbelievably cursed show, the best match (and it was very good!) was between two non-New Japan wrestlers in Mayu Iwatani and Mina Shirakawa. The main event was "okay" but just added some more confusion to some baffling decisions from earlier shows, and the 1-2-3 punch of SHO beating El Desperado for the title by countout, EVIL beating future big-time star Shota Umino to retain the NEVER Openweight Title after Tama Tonga had asked Shota to defeat him as a parting gift for him and Matt loving Riddle beating Hiroshi Tanahashi for the TV title in less than 10 minutes was a killer for my motivation to keep watching.

When Okada announced he was leaving, I thought New Japan would be okay because they have a lot of great talent, including some incredible young guys, but a show like this makes me legit question what the gently caress the promotion might be up to in the future. Hopefully just an aberration, the Fantasticamania tour itself from earlier in the month was a ton of fun.

President Tana, save us. Fire Gedo & Jado.