Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for March, 2022?
This poll is closed.
:horse: Hangman Adam Page (AEW Champion) 15 25.00%
:axe: Baliyan Akki (Super Asia Champion) 1 1.67%
:hmmorks: Fujita (GHC Champion) 0 0%
:cthulhu: Jonathan Gresham (ROH World Champion) 1 1.67%
Moose (Impact World Champion) 1 1.67%
:redflag: KAI (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 1 1.67%
Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.67%
:abuela: Mickie James (FORMER Impact Knockouts Champion) 0 0%
:radcat: Tasha Steelz (Impact Knockouts Champion) 0 0%
:chef: Tsukushi Haruka (ICEx∞ Champion) 0 0%
:unsmigghh: Dr. Britt Baker DMD (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) 0 0%
:skeltal: Thunder Rosa (AEW Women's Champion) 20 33.33%
Jon Moxley (GCW Champion) 1 1.67%
:soupfamily: Konosuke Takeshita (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) 0 0%
:supaburn: Tetsuya Endo (KO-D Openweight Champion) 0 0%
Miyu Yamashita (FORMER Princess of Princess Champion) 11 18.33%
:krakken: Shoko Nakajima (Princess of Princess Champion) 4 6.67%
:greenangel: Syuri (World of Stardom Champion) 2 3.33%
:wato: (None of the Above) 2 3.33%
Total: 60 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In January, Hangman Adam Page broke a six-year streak to become the first non-New Japan January Champion of the Month. In February, he equaled another streak as he became the first wrestler in over a year to win 4 months in a row, equaling fellow AEW Champion Jon Moxley. What will March and beyond bring? Only 2 wrestlers have managed 5 months in a row (Kazuchika Okada and Byran Danielson) and only one has ever managed 6 months in a row (Kazuchika Okada), can Hangman meet or break that record too? That's to be answered this month, as so far 2022 has belonged firmly to AEW and Hangman Adam Page in particular, with over 70% of the vote in February over nearest competitor Kazuchika Okada's 14% (and Baliyan Akki with 7% in 3rd place), now it's time to find out if people are getting tired of "Cowboy poo poo" or still think it's the best, the best, the best!

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Bandido (PWG), Brock Lesnar (WWE), Becky Lynch (WWE), Charlotte Flair (WWE), and Roman Reigns (WWE) - noticing a theme here!?! - did not defend their belts this month and so have been dropped from the poll. While Okada was heavily involved in the New Japan Cup he did not defend his title, and there are too many champions on the list as it is, so he has been pulled off too for this month. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:horse: Hangman Adam Page (AEW Champion) - Defying Cole's own smug declaration that he was the TRUE Adam and Page would always be the "other Adam" in any wrestling promotion they were both in, Hangman defeated Cole at Revolution to showcase not only that he wasn't the same somewhat overwhelmed young wrestler Cole knew in Japan, but that he continues to have well-deserved confidence in his own top position as Champion of the Promotion. Cole wasn't done with him though, continually coming after him with the aid of reDragon and even stealing his title at one point (as well as Jurassic Express'), all while Page tried to move on - something he has gotten much better at doing - by giving title shots to other upcoming/deserving wrestlers like Dante Martin. Cole and Page will face off again in April, but Hangman ended March as it started it and as he plans to continue 2022: as champion.

:axe: Baliyan Akki (Super Asia Champion) - Making up for the lost time the title faced with Minoru Fujita as champion, Akki defended it twice in March alone, first against Ken Ohka before defeating a returning Emi Sakura who has spent considerable time in AEW in America over the last few months.

:hmmorks: Fujita (GHC Champion) - In a match that went over 30 minutes and probably had as many shoot headbutts, NOAH's champion defeated perennial challenger Masato Tanaka to hold onto his belt. At Sumo Hall, Fujita will seek to avenge his loss in his most famous match against Go Shiozaki in a battle for the heart and soul of NOAH. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

:cthulhu: Jonathan Gresham (ROH World Champion) - Gresham continued to represent ROH as its Champion despite the hiatus and potential uncertainty of his own future now that Tony Khan owns the promotion and isn't guaranteed to keep him as Champion (he will defend the title at Supercard of Honor at the start of April). After winning the vacant title just as ROH went dark, he will be there when the lights turn back on again as he defends against former titleholder (whose vacant title Gresham) won at that show.... but in March, he continued to put the work in, defeating both Kenny King on Impact as well as defeating Cara Noir at Progress in the United Kingdom and winning THEIR world title to add to his own!

Moose (Impact World Champion) - At Sacrifice, Moose successfully defended his title against Heath (Slater) to end the PPV on a high note for him... until former Champion Josh Alexander - humiliated by Moose taking advantage and cashing in on him at what should have been the greatest moment of his career - returned and took him out, then announced he would be challenging Moose at the Rebellion show in April.

:redflag: KAI (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - In his second defense since winning the title last December, KAI again managed to retain his belt after defeating BIG BOSS Shumizu who many smart and powerful people would agree should be champion based just on name alone!

Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - The Best of the Best did what his senpai in Kensuke Office, Katsuhiko Nakajima, probably wishes he could do and beat up the booker of his company en route to successfully defending his world championship, defeating the Big Dog Shuji Ishikawa in AJPW's big Ota Ward. Next up for Kento is an incredibly loaded Champion Carnival where a host of potential challengers will be gunning for their shot at the champion. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

:abuela: Mickie James (FORMER Impact Knockouts Champion) - After defeating Tasha Steelz in February, the two fought again at the start of March to continue James' 5 month title reign.... and lost!

:radcat: Tasha Steelz (Impact Knockouts Champion) - The former tag wrestler showed her movement into singles competition wasn't a mistake, as she defeated James at the Sacrifice PPC, and then followed up on that two weeks later by successfully defending the title against James again in a Street Fight.

:chef: Tsukushi Haruka (ICEx∞ Champion) - The soon to retire Ice Ribbon champion defeated SAKI of Color's to continue her reign with just over a month before she calls time on her career to become a teacher. Tsukushi will get a taste of what to expect in her future career as teenagers Asahi and Ibuki Hoshi will battle it out to decide who will be her next and final challenger in her retirement match at the Yokohama Budokan on May 4th. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

:unsmigghh: Dr. Britt Baker DMD (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) - After close to 300 days with the title, Dr. Britt Baker DMD's niggling injuries had somewhat taken the wind out of the sails of a title reign that started so strong. She was still mostly doing great in promos, and the matches were still good, but she was obviously holding back something because she threw in everything she had for her final title defense, giving as good as she got before finally falling short at last against....

:skeltal: Thunder Rosa (AEW Women's Champion) - After the indignity of losing to Baker at Revolution due to outside interference, Thunder Rosa finally got her revenge when - after winning the Number One Contenders match to get another shot - she had a second chance two weeks later... and this time in a Steel Cage. Opinions were mixed but overall negative on the Revolution match, but the St. Patrick's Day Slam Steel Cage match was far more positively recieved, as Rosa and Baker bought back to mind their incredible Lights Out match from just over a year earlier. Rosa won that first match but it didn't count on the record. This one did... and more importantly, it came with the title and your NEWWWWW Champion, Thunder Rosa!

Jon Moxley (GCW Champion) - It's been a busy month for Jon Moxley, what with his teaming up with rival Bryan Danielson under mutual mentor William Regal to form the Blackpool Combat Club. That was AEW business though, and Moxley indulged in his passion for independent wrestling at the end of the month as he put the "blood" in Bloodsport in a match against Biff Busick on the say day that he defeated AJ Gray to retain his GCW Title at Joey Janela's Spring Break 6 Part 1.

:soupfamily: Konosuke Takeshita (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) - Soup Boy went into Judgement Day with history in his favor. Endo had never beaten him when the title was on the line, or indeed at any show considered "big". But after over 45 minutes of throwing everything the two had at each other, Takeshita - soon to be working on a new tour with AEW in America - was down both that winning record AND a title.

:supaburn: Tetsuya Endo (KO-D Openweight Champion) - BURNING's Tetsuya Endo finally got that monkey off his back: not only did he defeat Takeshita to win the title, but he did at the Judgement 25th Anniversary Show. Vowing to lead DDT into the future and help it grow, Endo got the frustrated gesture of respect from Takeshita who only minutes before had been in that position, but now Endo is the face and leading light of DDT.

Miyu Yamashita (FORMER Princess of Princess Champion) - The coolest woman in the world went up against the littlest big Kaiju in the world at TJPW's excellent Grand Princess show in Mid-March... and lost! Yes, she may still be the coolest wrestler on the roster (and in the world!) but she is no longer the coolest champion.

:krakken: Shoko Nakajima (Princess of Princess Champion) - Move over Godzilla and King Kong, it's Shoko's time to shine! At one of TJPW's biggest shows ever, Nakajima defeated the seemingly unbeatable Miyu Yamashita at Sumo Hall in front of 1700+ fans, a remarkable accomplishment for a promotion that built itself from only a small handful of wrestlers and is now behind only Stardom as one of the best and most successful Joshi Promotions in the world. Nakajima ate a ton of damage against Yamashita but kept on kicking out, kept on fighting, and just when it seemed like she must be done, she fought back and took the shocking victory to reach the apex of the promotion for only the second time.

:greenangel: Syuri (World of Stardom Champion) - Stardom call Syuri a woman on another level and she lived up to that label in March, defending her title on back-to-back days in Sumo Hall defeating both former tag team partner Giulia and Stardom's ace Mayu Iwatani. Challenging outsiders Nanae Takahashi and Risa Sera, and with the Cinderella Tournament coming up where she'll wrestle her new bodyguard Ami Sourei, April will be yet another busy month for the champion. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

:wato: (None of the Above) - If, like Master Wato, you can't understand why Kaito Kiyomiyathese champions were included on this list instead of Master Wato, or you just want to see the results, or you don't think anybody deserves to win, then None of the Above is the choice for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Caught between Thunder Rosa and Miyu Yamashita, I figured I'll at least get another chance next month to vote for Rosa, so Miyu it is!

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i voted for thunder rosa because it was cool when she won

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I personally found Takeshita/Endo and Kento/Shuji to be better matches, but there's no way they have a chance of winning so voting for Miyu because she is just so drat cool

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
lol how long have the fed champs been ineligible. has it been ages and i've only just noticed?

edit: nevermind, turns out dave meltzer was right all along and reading is my friend

anyway voted for hanger despite the siren call of :wato:

Seams fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 1, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I have failed Syuri by not watching the 2 big Stardom shows yet, but she probably deserves to win. Haven't seen Takeshita/Endo yet either.

I think of stuff I've seen Kento had the best match, but Miyu seems like the best chance to win of the non-AEW champs. And her match with Shoko absolutely kicked butt

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Tough choices this week. Nearly went with Soup, nearly went with Miyu because she's so loving cool, but La Mera Mera has it for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping back to page 1, with a reminder there are just over 3 days to get in your votes, and it's VERY close between 1st, 2nd and 3rd at the moment!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm fine with lifetime achievement wins and this is miyu's best chance unless she ends up in aew one day

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh poo poo, I forgot because of all the wrestling! Time is almost up to vote! :ohdear:

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

forkboy84 posted:

Syuri...deserves to win.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's down to the wire, vote vote and vote again!

Well... I mean, you can only vote once. But more of you should be doing it! Ben Franklin didn't die winning the Civil War against Edward Longshanks so you could NOT vote :mad:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Kaiju's are nice. And Shoko Nakajima seems very sweet and goofy.

These are the reasons I voted for her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The streak is over! After 4 months, Hangman Adam Page came close but couldn't quite make it to 5 months as Champ of the Month in a row, and now all he has to placate him is his enormous wealth, success, his ACTUAL championship, his family, friends, the respect of his peers and the adulation of millions. Who replaced him? A newcomer getting her first win of the month ever: Thunder Rosa! Yes, the former Kobra Moon, once one of the worst wrestlers in the world, is now beloved and for good reason, because she's awesome! Winning the AEW title from Dr. Britt Baker DMD, she also defeated in this poll not only Hangman Adam Page, but also the world's coolest woman Miyu Yamashita and the Big Kaiju, Shoko Nakajima! Can she keep the momentum up and make it two in a row? That's for next month, but March 2022 now and forever belongs to Thunder! Rosa!

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thread for April is now up.