Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

There is a flu going on. People are working from home using a new technology to communicate and work with each other. The year? 1997.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36hhU0OuhHc

Office Killer is a horror movie directed by Cindy Sherman (the famous photographer and artist known by her self-portraits in which she portrays different characters) stars Carol Kane, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Molly Ringwald and a pre-Sopranos Michael Imperioli.

The movie is about Dorine (Carol Kane), a mousy magazine editor working in a failing publication in which almost all the workers are being sent home to work part-time to cover the costs of the failing business. Her office seems to be a sanctuary for her, where she can escape her demanding and ailing mother, with whom she lives with and takes care of in the family home.
When she finds herself working after-hours with a dickish co-worker she accidentally kills him, but before she calls 911, she inadvertently sees an opportunity to take the term "home-office" to a whole different level.
It is a really fun watch, specially seeing how Dorine interacts with her co-workers in her new "office" and seeing how, as the movie and the plot progresses, we can see a change in her, and how she starts to find herself (and we learn more about her and her family) as more and more of the people in the office begin to disappear.

Carol Kane as Dorine

Even though this movie can be seen though various lenses, watching it from our modern perspective in the COVID years, it shows us how people adapt to their new realities, and how some try to fight tooth and nail (and hammer) for the comfort they once knew and that is gone forever.
One can also see it through as a leftist view: The march of Capitalism destroying businesses and people, and how it distorted the lives of people who see their work as a home to be protected.
Of course, there is also the feminist view of the film, seen as a response to the male-centric horror productions of the era (the film was directed, written, produced by women (Sherman, Elise McAdam, Christine Vachon and Pamela Koffler, respectively) and most of the cast is female, plus the story of the movie develops a gendered view of the horror movie tropes.

Molly Ringwald as Kim

I first read about this movie from the book Women Make Horror, ("Why Office Killer Matters", by Dahlia Schweitzer) and what made me search for it was that, as previously said, it was directed by photographer Cindy Sherman, who had never directed a movie before and who didn't work in that medium at all (as far as I know, if there's a Sherman fan out there who can correct me, please go ahead) and that it starred Carol Kane, known more for her comedy (this isn't her first horror role, she also starred in The Mafu Cage, which you should also watch btw; and When a Stranger Calls). Because of its director, the film does have a distinct look to it, especially the scenes in the magazine, and in the appearance of Doreine, who looks as if she just jumped out of one of Sherman's self-portraits.

Jeanne Tripplehorn as Nora

March MOTM
Previous Movies of the Month

Vincent fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This looks amazing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I watched this a couple of months ago and it rules. My wife liked it even more than i did. I was actually a bit cold on it right after but i couldn't stop thinking about for the next week or two. I'll definitely rewatch it and post some more later

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I have been looking for this movie for over a decade. I saw it in a film class and have really wanted to revisit it but couldn't figure out the right search terms. gently caress yeah.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It was on the criterion channel for a minute

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

It's available to rent on Amazon, but I don't know if it's on any streaming service.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watched this today and really enjoyed it. The 80 minutes flew by and Carol Kane is a delight. Didn't expect it to have so much gore too!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MacheteZombie posted:

Watched this today and really enjoyed it. The 80 minutes flew by and Carol Kane is a delight. Didn't expect it to have so much gore too!

Both much darker and much funnier than I was expecting. The swerve from killing shitheads who are asking for it (at least in movie morality) to just collecting bodies, killing Girl Scouts and poo poo, is really great and funny

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Both much darker and much funnier than I was expecting. The swerve from killing shitheads who are asking for it (at least in movie morality) to just collecting bodies, killing Girl Scouts and poo poo, is really great and funny

Yeah the escalation was hilarious.

Vincent posted:

It's available to rent on Amazon, but I don't know if it's on any streaming service.

If people are having trouble finding this, I can setup a stream on discord that loops the movies for a few days so folks can have an easy time watching it.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed how, like Machete Zombie said, escalates, and how it keeps subverting different tropes through Dorine.

The escalation is one of the points that can have multiple explanations from different points of view, for example, how in a capitalist system we become more and more monstrous if we want to further our material goals and how it has transformed the american household. Dorine has explicitely exchanged her house and her home and filled it with her co-workers (well, their bodies, but to her they represent their idealized versions). There is also how it could be argued that, only after her mother has died that Dorine has been abled to be her "true self", the one who killed her sexually abusive father, who had to protec herself because her own mother wouldn't help her. Once the patriarchial extension of her dead father is gone, she is free to pursue her happiness, her own "home sweet home". And, of course, Dorine also subverts multiple horror tropes: final girl, victim, monster, etc.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 12, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If you're having a hard time tracking this down it'll be streaming on discord repeatedly for the next few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
watched this when it was on Criterion a few months ago. don't think the satire or internal logic entirely worked for me, but Carol Kane is a lot of fun and this makes me wish Sherman would direct another feature