Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I bet you thought you were done with digging trenches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Fidelitious posted:

I bet you thought you were done with digging trenches.

Well exactly yeah.

Although there's still a lot of ground works to do as half the house is like 3 bricks out of the ground but the car hole needs a ramp down to it creating.

It's more frustrating that a little job like drill one hole through wall for utility wastes becomes like a week long saga of cascading jobs, some manual digging poo poo up, but almost worse, others mental like trying to decide what to do instead and then gotta redo the kitchen units order with the supplier which has already been made.

I've somehow still not got the right combination of 40mm waste pipe.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
did you ever get a router, deeply curious if the internet works there

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

kitten emergency posted:

He's gotta get one made to order from Cisco so that it is sufficient to feed the house brain.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

kitten emergency posted:

eBay hasn't had any sketchy routers from North Macedonia available yet

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Muir posted:

"The CE stamp appears to be in Cyrillic but it was five quid so how could I not"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Muir posted:

Just get a $2.99 Cisca router from Ali Baba

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

gently caress you guys!

I've gone for this:

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Got the Pro rather than SE myself, but alright future proofing on WAN ports. Have Everything connected through an enterprise 24, other than backup internet (4G router with a 24 month data sim in it)

Edit: I would get some rack studs as screw rack nuts.

Starbucks fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 28, 2024

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
not too shabby

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've gone for this:

ok

but why

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I just have a little EdgeRouterX but I only have three access points, not data to every lightbulb. The UniFi back end was a bit fiddly to get set up as a non-IT person but I have no complaints since.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Mostly the wireless internet management, connection to CCTV for the goons who work out through photos and experience on Geoguessr where he is and it is pretty solid as a switch. Get the new doorbell and not the old one as it’s not as good. Looking to upgrade to the new one for PoE

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

to post

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Starbucks posted:

Mostly the wireless internet management, connection to CCTV for the goons who work out through photos and experience on Geoguessr where he is and it is pretty solid as a switch. Get the new doorbell and not the old one as it’s not as good. Looking to upgrade to the new one for PoE

I just typed L into google and it gave me the details

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

This is where you walk around the L using WiFiman to create a floor plan

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

NotJustANumber99 posted:

gently caress you guys!

I've gone for this:

Nice.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Also, you can get something like a Dell r230 pretty affordably which would fit in that for running all your various home management stuff running something like TrueNAS.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I used to have other stuff but I tried just using the hub that my ISP gave me. Works surprisingly well, like 500 megabit wifi throughout the house. I hardwired the stuff that streams video for stability.
My 'house brain' is a Dell Optiplex that I got for $250 and came with a CPU one generation newer than advertised. Score.

It's a mess of cables and junk in the utility room and works great.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Starbucks posted:

Also, you can get something like a Dell r230 pretty affordably which would fit in that for running all your various home management stuff running something like TrueNAS.

Please do not do this unless you want to install a 4-post server rack somewhere and listen to the obnoxiously loud fans.

The man's got enough home janitoring to do, do not curse him with computer janitoring on top of it.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

That thing is in his utility room I thought, if so it’s hardly much of an issue

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Starbucks posted:

That thing is in his utility room I thought, if so it’s hardly much of an issue

That looks like a 15U, 19" deep rack which means it will not fit a R230. So you are talking a second rack somewhere with its own power requirements and data run. I am a computer janitor by profession and even I don't want to put up with that poo poo at home.

Just get a shelf for the existing rack and buy a NUC, add a Synology NAS if you need a bunch of storage. Easy.

Edit: if he got the 600mm depth cabinet then it would fit, but I still wouldn't recommend it

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 28, 2024

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Don't put loving servers in your rack at home

(I would move the dream machine down and add a 24 and 48 port switch between your patch panels simply to wire up all your ports)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

vanity slug posted:

Don't put loving servers in your rack at home

(I would move the dream machine down and add a 24 and 48 port switch between your patch panels simply to wire up all your ports)

I don't know, the Dell rackmount machines I've used are surprisingly quiet under light load except when booting, the form factor is space efficient, and you have the option of remote management. Besides, this is not going in a living space - I'd be wary of putting one in my office, but up in a technical space? Seems like a reasonable enough option to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

buy a full stack implementation from oracle
oracle exalogic X9-2, oracle linux, oracle cloud@customer, OCI, run VCN, oracle autonomous DB, plonk down your workloads, easy peasy

quote:

Oracle Server X9-2 is designed for maximum security, reliability, and performance for Oracle Database, and it is an ideal building block for running Oracle software in the cloud. Oracle Server X9-2 is engineered for running Oracle Database in deployments using SAN/NAS, and for delivering infrastructure as a service (IaaS) in cloud and virtualized environments that require an optimal balance among core density, memory footprint, and I/O bandwidth. With support for up to 27.2 TB of high-bandwidth NVM Express (NVMe) flash drives, Oracle Server X9-2 can store either the entire Oracle Database in flash for extreme performance or accelerate I/O performance using Database Smart Flash Cache, a feature of Oracle Database. Each server includes built-in proactive fault detection and advanced diagnostics to deliver extreme reliability for Oracle applications. With a compute capacity of over 2,600 cores and 86 TB of memory in a single rack, this compact 1U server is an ideal framework for standing up density-efficient compute infrastructure without compromising reliability, availability, and serviceability (RAS).

I'm sure you can pick an x9-2 up on ebay for like $20k

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

oracle
oracle oracle oracle OCI oracle

Why in God's name would you just blithely open the door and invite the vampire in like that?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

NJAN99 already has this house, he doesn’t need a second money pit in buying Oracle products.

As for rack yeah if 600mm it will fit the 495mm server pretty easily. If he doesn’t then can get a rack based NAS and then some raspberry pis.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I love the idea that you all think he hasn’t spent hours thinking this through already to procrastinate from real work

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

buy a full stack implementation from oracle
oracle exalogic X9-2, oracle linux, oracle cloud@customer, OCI, run VCN, oracle autonomous DB, plonk down your workloads, easy peasy

I'm sure you can pick an x9-2 up on ebay for like $20k

The licensing will cost more than the house, including the fees for the attorneys for license compliance of course.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean since we're in the thread suggesting completely asinine levels of industrial computing power to control some lights and hvac, I figured why not go whole hog and buy some real corporate iron

e. oracle cloud@customer has no licensing fees, it's cloud software, you pay as you go
but I get the internalized reflexive reaction to oracle's decades of abuse though lmao

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 28, 2024

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Starbucks posted:

NJAN99 already has this house, he doesn’t need a second money pit in buying Oracle products.

As for rack yeah if 600mm it will fit the 495mm server pretty easily. If he doesn’t then can get a rack based NAS and then some raspberry pis.

My house runs off a Raspberry pi 4 running NAS software with a USB hard drive attached and a bunch of docker images to do the home automation and it's fine.

Eager to see op buy a Deep Blue prototype off eBay though.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

gently caress you guys!

Wait all of this cabling and it’s not even symmetrical fiber? How is a place that’s purpose built to be a node in a Russian botnet operation supposed to work with upload like that?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Cat Hatter posted:

My house runs off a Raspberry pi 4 running NAS software with a USB hard drive attached and a bunch of docker images to do the home automation and it's fine.

Eager to see op buy a Deep Blue prototype off eBay though.

Yeah but he has a rack there with free spots. When in Rome and all that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I sleep in a normal house with my wife.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I sleep in a normal house with my wife.

Is it normal shaped?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JunkDeluxe posted:

Is it normal shaped?

Weird question to ask about a lads wife imo

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

My house brain is a repurposed Lenovo laptop which I had lying around and chucked 20gb of ram in. It is running windows with a qnap external 4 bay storage (not nas), and does the CCTV via blueiris and photo prism in a docker. I might put Plex on it, but can't be bothered at the moment.

I just wish I had put a TB SSD in it when I spun it up, but it will probably die before that becomes an issue. Then I will move onto the next spare laptop and so on.

I am excited to see what nn uses for turning the lights on and off. It will either be a raspberry pi he found in a bush, or a ridiculous server he bought off someone in the pub.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I was just assuming the actual power cables would be routed to a bunch of used physical relays in the plant room

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
One router per lightbulb in the house. It's the only way to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Ultra Carp
Make a public facing dashboard so the goons can control your heat, lights, and air supply