Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
how did I not know about this thread before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's an amazing insight into 99's mind.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

99, great thread, keep it coming.

It will also interest you to know that I too have an L shaped house (I'm sure I have mentioned this before).

It too is what used to be a farm building (mine's converted from an L shaped farm steading into an L shaped bungalow, instead of just the L shaped area being used for an L shaped bungalow built from scratch like yours).

Mine's structurally granite and has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, and a large living/kitchen space. Basically, much like yours, one side of the L is for the living/kitchen, the other side is for bedrooms/bathrooms. I've also a large detached garage.

How much is the land, all the building work, permits etc etc all in? I want to compare my "move in ready" L shaped home cost to your built-from-scratch L shaped home!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Here's mine:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

would your foundations also survive a 30 megaton nuclear warhead?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

No, but given that the walls of the house are hewn from granite, the warhead might just bounce off of it, if it approached at a lateral, low flying trajectory and didn't have an impact/pressure based detonator.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
''L"ove what you've done with the place

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
oh dear the riffraff are here.

Steakandchips posted:

How much is the land, all the building work, permits etc etc all in? I want to compare my "move in ready" L shaped home cost to your built-from-scratch L shaped home!

Hmmm. I don't think theres going to be much to directly compare between your heritage pad in the lovely scottish mountains and my shrek proof misery bungalow.

I'm really uncomfortable talking about money here. Lol I know I whinge when things cost ten grand this and ten grand that. the joke of the thread title (a quick and easy house build) has very much become my daily refrain. So many things I underestimated the cost and difficulty associated. For instance just being slightly away from the road has cost probably... an extra 50k all in when you add it up, compared to a house right adjacent to the road. Its time too, which costs money.

Sadly a lot of the extra costs that I was too inexperienced to predict means a lot of the extra features that would have set this aside from a developer home are being dropped. I lamented this in a different thread but they are things I would love and enjoy but house prices don't reflect so theres no way to ever reclaim the cost. This isnt about flipping the house or anything its about acknowledging how far over budget I am and somewhat sensibly insulating myself from risk.

I hope its OK to say that the original business case for this house was that the end result could and would be worth £450k and outgoings would be limited to £400k. That is out the window with the cost overuns, covid, brexit, etc. If I was 3 years ago now knowing what I do now I wouldn't have done this. However, it wasn't all about money it was also about experience, fun and getting something the way you want that you can't with a developer bought home which was the most likely alternative in this instance. Realistically, whilst overall costs and my cashflow are worries, provided I finish the house I am not too worried about the final calculus as I think I have been very worst case scenario about the final house value.

But again money sucks and is depressing, so I'll probably just post loads of pictures and swear words again from now on.

Er also lol, the riffraff comment wasnt (lol exclusively) about you by the way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'll probably just post loads of pictures and swear words again from now on.

:justpost:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

shrek proof misery bungalow

:lol: just had to pull this gem out for appreciation

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

why the gently caress not lol

I apologise this probably won't be a highly curated post.

But we're ordering poo poo. and getting lorries, and more importantly materials in.

Still in heights of covid, you know how difficult toilet roll is to get, so get a crane load imho

hosed up and didn't get all the floor beams I needed now that I've added that plant room the more diligent amongst you noticed so got some more cheeky short beams for that

Then once we've got our builder's merchants setup at bottom of site start effortlessly using my 100% reliable digger to move materials around as and when necessary

hmmm, you may have noticed some stuff turned up not on pallets. Didn't know that could happen, so collect a few gumtree freebies that would otherwise be destined for some awkward and horrible upcycling no doubt and return them to their rightful destiny as actual pallets. All be it I have to use my actual hands, and muscles.

Only thing we can't seem to get delivered is cement. Builder's merchant havent got it and when they have its by the bag and expensive. Look to the local DIY stores who have all seemingly instigated 5 bag limits. So I begin buying it up a few bags a ta time to store in the container.

Lol I get banned from the local b&q but find a naive wickes nearby with seemingly no limits and stock.

but it's surprising how few bags of cement you can put in a trailer before your car's rear suspension starts to plead mercy

Anyway, get set for now...

Just need like a builder or someone I guess?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Still in heights of covid, you know how difficult toilet roll is to get, so get a crane load imho

How many lifetimes of supply is pictured here? lol

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

but it's surprising how few bags of cement you can put in a trailer before your car's rear suspension starts to plead mercy

Merely a tongue weight problem. You need to stack more of the bags behind the trailer axle. Then it's 100% safe.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

99, it’s all good, we don’t have to talk money if you’re uncomfortable about it.

Regarding the house being further from the road resulting in more expenses; further back from the road is also quieter. Worth the trouble in the long run I’m sure.

What fancy features have you descoped due to overrunning initial building costs? Solar? Batteries? Heat pumps? Pool?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

Merely a tongue weight problem. You need to stack more of the bags behind the trailer axle. Then it's 100% safe.

I don't disagree but looking at that trailer tire it's pretty close to maxed out too.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

you guys aint seen nothing yet

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't disagree but looking at that trailer tire it's pretty close to maxed out too.

I said it's 100% safe.

Don't ruin my thread content IOC.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you guys aint seen nothing yet
I remember the weird corner one of the builders tried to get away with from UK Chat and can't wait for that to come up.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i bought a house, its year old. one of the things I would have done is at least run some Ethernet to each of the rooms and terminated it in the basement.

it was nice not having to make a million decisions tho. i know myself well enough that it would have resulted in indecisive lockup

kudos to you for going for it! keep posting. love the layout!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Cant wait for the doom level post

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Running Ethernet through the house was the first thing I got an electrician to do when I bought this place last year.

Worth every penny. I’ve now got at least four drops in each room, terminating in a patch panel in a network cabinet in my utility room.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah going to have a Jefferies tube running the length of the loft to run whatever number we're up to Ethernet cable along with HVAC to every room. And have a cabinet built in at the wasted space end of the loft that's filled with roof structure. Probably where I'll put the "house brain" that runs all the other systems, like the facial/gait recognition for unlocking the front door.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Don't put the data cabinet in the loft, it'll be a pain in the arse to beep boop. Put it in the utility room.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Put it in the plant room with all the other plants

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Me imagining 99's plant room :allears:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hadlock posted:

Me imagining 99's plant room :allears:

Over here they call that an old folks incubator (as best as I can translate it anyway: pensionärskuvös).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

My wife is in love with the idea of a solarium. The utility room, as it's quite warm due to the large amount of windows, has an arm chair crammed in there because SUN.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Steakandchips posted:

My wife is in love with the idea of a solarium. The utility room, as it's quite warm due to the large amount of windows, has an arm chair crammed in there because SUN.
What does utility room in this context mean? I'm used to utility room being the place where utilities are, such as the furnace and water heater. You know, a plant room apparently.

Why are you all putting utilities in your plant rooms and windows in your furnace rooms??

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Washer, dryer, chest freezer, bulk storage. That sort of thing.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slugworth posted:

What does utility room in this context mean? I'm used to utility room being the place where utilities are, such as the furnace and water heater. You know, a plant room apparently.

Why are you all putting utilities in your plant rooms and windows in your furnace rooms??

Are you American?

Utility rooms in the UK are where washing machines/dryers/supplementary fridges/freezers etc live.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Thread needs more Tesla jokes.

Why did the tesla owner cross the road?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

to avoid his self driving murdercar?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

like the facial/gait recognition for unlocking the front door.
You want a top of the line model that can notice subtle changes.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Put it in the plant room with all the other plants

My data cabinet has a plant in its utility room.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

And I've got builders!

real ones, who build things above ground. Well technically we're still underground but close.

So I've actually gone with the brother of my original groundworker. You remember, the guy who turned up for a hour or two a year ago, was out of his depth and left.

This guy seems great though, he talked about colours of mortar, stuff like that, happy to work with me however I want. Quoted me a per block and brick price, which I sent to my up north builder mate who OK'd it as very similar to his rates. Anyway his initial quote visit hes in his piece of poo poo van, after I say yeah cool lets do it he comes back a second time after hours to check whats what the day before he's coming to start. Hes in an... I dunno 80k merc amg 65 or something...

Like, thats fine, why not, why shouldn't he be successful. It just feels a bit alarm bells. I whatsapp my builder mate for a sanity check and he says don't worry his helicopter was probably just in for repairs. yeah OK, good point.

So all we're actually getting for now is literally one run round of heavy duty blocks (7.3kn), 100mm inner leaf and 140mm outer leaf, round the hole perimeter to support the beam and block floor which they'll immediately disappear for, to allow me to do.

All pretty straight forward. But also we need to leave a bunch of gaps with steel rebar reinforced lintels for all the services, mainly sewers to exit through.

We leave quite a few options in the plant room cos obviously all the plants in here are going to need access to get their roots through

fence repairs holding up great, nothing to worry about there

And here's bobby's favourite moment. It doesn't seem so bad now in context I don't think.

As I say these guys only need to leave me one ring of blockwork for now to allow me to put my floor in, before I call them back, or don't, for the whole rest of all the walls I want to pay them to do. You'd think they'd be keen to treat this phase as an opportunity to demonstrate the best of their works. To prove to me they've heard me and they're all in on the level of quality I'm after.

So you've got to wonder

wtf is this?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ask him for his merc level job not his van level job.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

That’s a Tesla level job

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

quote:

I whatsapp my builder mate for a sanity check and he says don't worry his helicopter was probably just in for repairs.

(wince)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Ask him for his merc level job not his van level job.

lol.

Also, what are those two pieces of rebar sticking out of the ground? What are they attached to and what are they getting tied into? I thought all of the rebar was tied from the pilings into your blast proof foundation already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Motronic posted:

lol.

Also, what are those two pieces of rebar sticking out of the ground? What are they attached to and what are they getting tied into? I thought all of the rebar was tied from the pilings into your blast proof foundation already.

theyre just string line thingys I stuck my yellow hats on because I am a dedicated safety officer