Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Still in heights of covid, you know how difficult toilet roll is to get, so get a crane load imho

How many lifetimes of supply is pictured here? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

How fragile are these tiles? I assume even if they don't break if you have to climb on them directly, they're likely slippery as hell. I'm also curious how you'd go about doing maintenance on a tile roof after it's complete. Complicated scaffolding or hanging off the end of a lift?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hadlock posted:

Loft in American generally in an urban context is industrial space converted to uncomfortable residential; in a rural context it means poorly conceived spare upstairs bedroom. In either case, it appears we've accidentally settled on an agreed upon definition here and today.

But this is also a loft (bed)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You need to either adjust the pressure on your punchdown tool (should have a little dial on it somewhere) or punch it down at a slight angle to make sure the cutting edge is hitting the wire correctly. You just might have to do it 2-3x per wire. The cheap punch down tools are just generally poo poo at this. Make sure you do have the cutting head on cuz usually they are two sided and one side isn't sharp.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cat Hatter posted:

I once saw an adult film that basically turned into an infomercial for bathroom grab bars halfway through. They were in the shower and most of the dialogue became "and if you have this bar you can do it like this...then you can grab this other bar and do it like this...or you can open the shower door and grab the bar attached to the toilet and do this". It was bizarre but persuasive.

An old guy lived (and then died) in my house before I bought it and he had some mobility issues. Consequently there were 6 grab bars in the 35sqft bathroom and I left all the ones in the shower (mostly just because it would look like poo poo if I removed from from the fiberglass shower surround) and they're...honestly really nice to have? I do tend to hang onto one as I am stepping and in out of the shower, and there is one that is in the perfect place to hold on to while leaning into the water. The shower also has two seats, which I highly recommend to anybody in the process of installing or remodeling their bathroom.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Docjowles posted:

Yeah we are redoing a bathroom and building a little bench across the end of the shower opposite the head. It’s tiled, not a fiberglass shell, so pretty easy to incorporate. I dunno that I’ll ever want to just like sit there but it’s convenient for a number of things. My wife wanted it to ease shaving in particular.

Wasn’t planning on a railing as we aren’t that decrepit yet but now I’m thinking a little about preemptively adding one…

I realize this sounds cliché as hell but honestly I find myself doing some of my best thinking while sitting in the shower. After a long stressful day it is the best way to destress and cogitate on whatever issue I have or future project I need to plan. I dunno, it's just very relaxing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

vanity slug posted:

is modular housing even a thing? like i know there's lots of prefab stuff but actual modular housing seemed to be that one gimmick hotel in tokyo (where else) and not much else

They've been a thing for quite a while. My grandparents had a modular home built in the mid 90's. They had the foundation poured and then the house came in 4 prefabbed sections that were installed with a crane in a day.

If you're imagining 'modular' in the sense of an entire home/apartment contained in one single unit, local to me at least there's a couple companies trying to do the shipping container house thing which is kind of interesting.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

knox_harrington posted:

So how much do you pay for this ~prison level accommodation?

Rates for the entire academic year at the local university. These prices include a meal plan:

Rate Type 1: $18,332
Sgl - Premium
Suite Sgl - Premium

Rate Type 2: $16,536
Dbl - Premium
Tpl - Premium
Quad - Premium
Suite sgl - Enhanced
Suite dbl - Enhanced
Suite quad - Enhanced
Sgl - Standard

Rate Type 3: $15,521
Dbl - Enhanced
Suite sgl - Standard
Suite dbl - Standard
Suite tpl - Standard

Rate Type 4: $13,856
Dbl - Modified
Dbl - Standard
Quad - Enhanced
Quad - Modified
Sgl - Modified
Sgl - Economy
Suite dbl - Economy
Tpl - Modified
Tpl - Standard
1 bdr - Economy

Rate Type 5: $12,247
Quad - Standard
Tpl - Economy

Rate Type 6: $13,051
Dbl - Economy

Depends on the building what premium/enhanced/standard/economy means. There are also some co-ops with doubles priced at $8,838. There's also a complex a bit farther from campus that is designed for families, that doesn't include a meal plan, which costs $8,416, and are unfurnished.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

WhatEvil posted:

$1k/mo for halls/dorms is kinda nuts.

More like $1500/mo cuz the academic year is usually 8 months. :eng101:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

skybolt_1 posted:

Agreed, like the whole mockery around the Ethernet cables... Multiple switches, unless you are dealing with high end managed enterprise hardware, introduce a whole new level of failure points and complexity. Ethernet cable is cheap, and it is cheapest when it's run before the walls are up. Its exactly how I would have done it if given the chance.

I don't think anyone had an issue with running cables while walls and ceiling were exposed, that's absolutely the smart thing to do. It was everything that came after that like making a bespoke cable management wall plate which was completely unnecessary and definitely just made the job more difficult to complete.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

aniviron posted:

Few reasons. The biggest ones are time, effort, and expense; but also I live in a house that is more than a hundred years old and was constructed piecemeal by Polish amateurs and the interior of the house has not one but two ventilation systems, one of which is unused, as well as wiring that dates to the 20s - full copper jacketed in decaying paper, hooked to switches that still have mercury in them. All of this is spliced together with several other layers of upgrades and coverings, most of which is from the 40s-70s, none of which is consistent or documented, and I don't own the house. Given that, it feels like a fool's errand to undertake.

If your place is that old then the phone lines were likely fished through the wall cavities and probably aren't stapled to anything in there. There's a good chance you could use those lines to fish your Cat 6/7 in its place with minimal effort and get rid of whatever is stapled to baseboards.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You just need to get a sharp enough punch down tool. It's easy as poo poo if your tool is sharp, miserable if it's not. Idk if you can get Klein tools over there but that's what I'd recommend, I just bought one of their replacement blades bc the $9.99 punch down tool I got as a set wouldn't cut for crap. Blade alone cost more than that but worth it.

Terminating wires always sucks though, just buy premade for anything you're plugging into a jack.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Starbucks posted:

Also, you can get something like a Dell r230 pretty affordably which would fit in that for running all your various home management stuff running something like TrueNAS.

Please do not do this unless you want to install a 4-post server rack somewhere and listen to the obnoxiously loud fans.

The man's got enough home janitoring to do, do not curse him with computer janitoring on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Starbucks posted:

That thing is in his utility room I thought, if so it’s hardly much of an issue

That looks like a 15U, 19" deep rack which means it will not fit a R230. So you are talking a second rack somewhere with its own power requirements and data run. I am a computer janitor by profession and even I don't want to put up with that poo poo at home.

Just get a shelf for the existing rack and buy a NUC, add a Synology NAS if you need a bunch of storage. Easy.

Edit: if he got the 600mm depth cabinet then it would fit, but I still wouldn't recommend it

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 28, 2024