Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
In retrospect those foundations were actually a good idea because you have more cables than actual house in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

SpeedFreek posted:

Can you set up a camera to record the look on their face when they see that the first time for us? The thumbnail for that image looked like the scrap wire bin in a panel shop.

Good news! All that wiring and the extra access points made hacking into his home security system easy. Here it is:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Does it have to be plastered? Couldn't you just paint the walls?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

What you can do here is have Shadowheart cast Pass Without Trace so the sensors don't catch you and you don't have to fight all the guards that spawn in those rooms

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
What are those plastic light boxes attached to? From the pictures it looks like they're just taped to the paper, but that can't be right, right?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm not confirming or denying anything. But why couldn't that be right?

I'm just concerned that the structural integrity of paper is even less than that of foam blocks

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
You could've put those big emergency exit signs over every door, you already have the wiring and backup power sorted

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

knox_harrington posted:

Not wanting to be able to control the heat in each room is a bit odd imo. People like their bedrooms at different temperatures.

The correct choice is to have a fireplace in each room:

During the warm months keep the window open if it's too hot, otherwise just heat the rooms you want. Bing bong so simple.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Shitposting aside, I actually want to know what the ventilation is like up at the loft. I might have missed or forgotten things along the way, but what with the airtight bulkheads all around, did you remember to put some air holes in the unplanned areas?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

So that's why the plasterers insisted on removing those access doors! They're working for the rebels!

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Leperflesh posted:

So basically it looks like painted cedar, and costs what it'd cost for cedar if you painted it regularly and probably cheaper once you consider the lifespan.

I get it, I love the natural look of wood, I just know what the natural look of cedar turns into after just a few years and it's not that great.

Aged wood like this looks good actually, and if you treat it properly like with a mixture of tar, turpentine and varnish* it'll look even better and the treatment will last for a decade.

* link's in Finnish, but this is what we used for our log cabin in Lapland and it looks great

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Shout "McDonald's" to unlock your door

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Potrzebie posted:

Are you sure you got this right? In Sweden, where we have negative pricing on the spot market quite often, your random private customer will not see those prices. Only big industry, that can soak a ton of excess power off the grid as needed actually get paid. Because they do perform a valuable service to the grid owner. And as of right now the price has not been so negative as to cancel out the profit margin and ~fees~ that are the bulk of cost of electricity.

E: Now with the right post quoted. Derp.

That's up to your contract. This year in Finland the price has been negative enough a couple of times that even with the margin it has reduced my electricity bill.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

vanity slug posted:

Heating / cooling stuff is weirdly cheap in Italy, it feels like you can get most stuff there for nearly half price.

I'm quite sure this is :thejoke: but turns out reselling free things is cheap

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
There is no loving way that sink frame will stay in place without something supporting it at the front. Also, why hide the plumbing and make it totally impossible to maintain?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i think it will stay in place

No, it won't. I'm speaking from experience, I've had to fix many of these "I calculated the loads, it'll be fine" cantilever projects ranging from hilarious to potentially fatal. Wood is not a suitable material for this.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

NotJustANumber99 posted:

During these freezing temps I've been leaving the water off mostly. But used it the other day and forgot to properly drain down the external tap so it froze. I've murdered loads of these taps through the years.

You might want to invest in an actual external tap, where the valve part is inside the house and the section that can potentially freeze is sloped downwards so it drains itself automatically.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
The worst possible choice in a kitchen is laminate because it just completely goes to poo poo on contact with water

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
That big room looks really good actually. Out of those stone samples I would probably pick the second from the bottom, the redder, warmer colour feels like it could balance out the white walls.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Is 50 degrees your test temperature, because it should be at least 55 when you've figured out the pipe maze hell

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I would also like to say that even though I'm shitposting I'm actually really impressed how good everything is looking

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Unfortunately Britain has not discovered Mining In Front of Pubs yet, so the full AI death trap experience will have to wait

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Nothing more dangerous than a theory that sounds good

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
If the wood looks good when it's wet just have your house brain spray it with a fine mist of water every time the moisture drops below a certain threshold.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
He plugged in the skynet and it immediately vented all oxygen out of the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

If someone doesn't make this Doom .wad I don't want to live anymore