Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The foundation principle reminds me a bit of my house, but without all the crazy cross bracing. That part seems overkill, if it just ringed the outside it'd be pretty normal. Not an expert tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Like I mentioned it's pretty common to build a ringed foundation of concrete or LECA blocks (with a concrete "sole"), then fill the inside up with gravel, insulation and plumbing. Only thing I've never seen before is all the cross bracing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Wallet posted:

I have central vac (it was already here). It's nice and it sucks real good, but I can't imagine it being worth the money with the quality of battery powered vacuums these days.

It's worth it for the single reason that it vents outside and doesn't use filters.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hadlock posted:

Me imagining 99's plant room :allears:

Over here they call that an old folks incubator (as best as I can translate it anyway: pensionärskuvös).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Pulling the pipes out at (or nearly) ground level? That normal in england? What if it freezes?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Steakandchips posted:

We had a foot of snow this winter up here in the frozen north and pipes to our Bio Treatment Plant (a fancy septic tank) did not freeze and I'd guess they are about 2 feet underground...

Ours had to be placed at frost free depth, which was nearly 2 meters here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Why does everyone seem so aggro in the UK?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

They'll be ripped for sure now

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hadlock posted:

I thought this build was south of the artic circle

Edit: maybe this is australia, where heat sinks rather than rises

Funny how perspectives vary, 200mm doesn't sound like a lot to me, 500mm is more like the norm in a house build here.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 1, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I had that issue with wood I bought from a local store, part of a bigger chain. The wood I bought from the local sawmill though was a lot better and it was his B-grade stuff.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sure are a lot of trusses. But I guess it's better to have more than liz trusses.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My suggestion is to build houses from wood.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tomarse posted:

I'm with you on screws being much nicer than nails

I actually like nails more, looks better, thinking about paneling now which is what I've been doing all summer. But screws are easier to get into certain places and to aim. Also if you ever need to tear it down in 50-80 years to replace it, gonna be glad for nails since those screws aren't coming out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I dunno the relevance to anything, but as I was cooking dinner I took the frying pan out of the oven to move things about before returning it, I put the pan down on the cooktop and there was a pot of boiling potatoes next to it. Well as I lean in close with my face and spatula, a hot drop of water flies out of the pot and strikes my hand. Bam! Involuntary reflex and my arm pulls away and I hit myself in the face, hard. While still dazed and shocked from that, I grab the oven hot frying pan with my bare hand.

I felt like mr bean or something.

Oh well on with the thread.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 10, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It does seem you have an incredible amount of issues with builders to me. Is this normal?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I had my house built via a bigger company and I believe most of the frame (wooden house) was built mostly by two guys from Seinäjoki. They did good work, also hired them privately to put up the garage and do the panelling.

It was pretty nice to get most of the work done and coordinated by one big company rather than having to coordinate it all yourself. That must be a real PITA.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Here are the hinges I would recommend for this house:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0yL4qIwyYU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Everyone just take a cill pill and calm down

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well until you put it on the net anyway

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It was always intended to be a ground source heat pump. But not vertical boring, a horizontal ground array. I have plenty of space and a reliable digger to do a lot of the work myself. I have the conduits ready laid under the house for the header pipes to connect the ground array into the plant room to feed the underfloor heating.

But its all bullshit.

No one will sell me any of the kit, they want like 40k to just do it all for me... NO. Everything the UK government has done to "encourage" this kind of technology though grants and feed in tariffs and all that bullshit has just created an OPEC style monopoly closed market where the installation companies know you can only get the money back if you use them and how much you can get so they set their prices at exactly so you might maybe make your money back after 10 years or whatever. It ruins everything.

So I've tried to do it myself and buy the kit myself from abroad. Brexit!

Also in the UK you can't install a system that is capable of providing cooling as well as heating, even though its loving obvious this is how it should work and we are currently in a never ending year on year heatwave, and still claim any of the rebates so I cant work with any of the accepted installers.

Also also the pipe I need to lay in the ground array is like, despite just pretty much being pipe, completely unheard of to all builders merchants. I finally found one who I sat in his office whilst he phones round and found a guy. We discussed it and he said no mate, not happening. Unless youre a major developer buying several miles of it (i wanted 400m) youre not getting it.

The whole thing is a loving scam.

So I'll just get the cheapest air source heatpump I can. which sucks.

Crazy AF if you ask me. Here you could get the heat pump for 7-9000 euros (I like Nibe) and the rest should be like 1-3000 euros maybe (winging it). Heck our system with the borehole cost 16k and that was considered to be on the more expensive side of things.

I bet you could buy this stuff easily in Sweden, getting to the UK is another matter.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A longboat like some kind of reverse viking

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Underfloor cooling, will that work without causing issues with condensation and mold?

I have opinions on firewood burners too. But you probably don't need a system made for norther sweden witth massiv e water tanks, where you make a giant fire 1-2 times a week in -20 weather.

Still, a wood gasification boiler is a very effective way of using that firewood, though ideally they are coupled with a huge tank to really utilize them best. Possibly overkill for the UK climate.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mine was 1700€ installed, an ASHP that is rated down to -25, put on my garage. But when winter rolls around I sure am glad to have the ground exchange unit in the house.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yet he did it to create entertainment for goons, god bless.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 7, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Takes shitposting to a new level.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I love my Schiedel chimney, it's not steel but a type of cast mortar and ceramics and is very safe, and the draft is insane.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm glad my house is at the top in a slope. Poo runs downward.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's not the first time you've had people steal from site either IIRC.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I think it's more difficult to make a well insulated home from brick than wood. Because once an exterior with high thermal mass eventually gets cold, and believe me it will do that in a finnish winter, then it works against you and you need to insulate against that thermal mass which is now working against you eve if the weather temporarily gets warmer, that thermal mass might be cold all winter until spring weather finally arrives.

I mean I guess it's doable, but I think it's easier to accomplish it with wooden construction, in addition to it being abundant. Which is why brick houses in Finland are wooden framed with a brick exterior that is loosely connected to the frame to reduce cold bridges but offers no structural support.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Sorry I realise I used rhetorical you, something which I do a lot.

Your floor seems fine, the heated floor in our kitchen has cold spots where the people we bought from didn't do it properly. Also it doesn't run all the way up to the oven, so when i'm standing cooking it feels like standing on a normal stone floor, i.e. loving freezing.

I do wish they hadn't run any underfloor pipe under the actual kitchen benches in our house, the insides of the drawers get warmer and onions for instance never last long in there. As someone already mentioned.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I dunno what he uses but I prefer the setup my house has, no internal sensors, just an external sensor. An adjustable heating curve tied to outdoor temps decides how warm water to send into the floor. Is it -20 outside then send water out that's 26C, for instance.

That way I don't get a bunch of annoying feedback loops like the heating system slows down because I am supplementing it with firewood and the indoor temps rising. Such interference can be a PITA when you use the internal temperature and have more than one heating system in your house.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That's when you realize the superiority of radiators.

I assume these lines will be covered in concrete too. So the whole floor will be a big thermal mass.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've never even heard of dry screed before and was like WTF?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

fridge corn posted:

Have you not been reading the thread or what

Not that closely I guess, it's been used before?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

heck I'm not even american

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

goatface posted:

Careful Ratty, you'll get him permabanned.

I got 99 probes but a ban ain't one.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've always preferred the safety system wherein you change society so it has less poverty and smaller income disparity, thereby reducing my chances of burglary.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

vanity slug posted:

Pro-tip for laying cable, minimize the number of right angles so it's easier to run them through the pipes.

Making it real complicated just taking a poo poo IMO, plumbing should be designed to handle it

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

England weather is so mild he strictly doesn't need doors to keep in the heat. Just to keep out burglars, of which there are a lot. I assume anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's 2.9m wide. You'll just about be able to park in it but nothing else, it was originally going to be open down the side the same as the front so it didn't seem such an issue. But it morphed into just a wall as it seemed a waste of money for more oak to just face the pub lockup fence. Apparently UK standard could be 2.4m wide which sounds daft.

2.4m sounds plenty enough for a reliant robin and anything else should be banned anyway