Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

CancerCakes posted:

I love this thread.

99 please print a copy of this thread, laminate it, and put it under a floor or something, so when in a hundred years someone else is trying to work out what is going on with this house they can appreciate it in all its beauty.

In the end when all that is left are the cockroaches and your foundation there should be a record left behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Do you have any experience in maritime law?

You're a crook Capitan Hook

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Looks like a pretty good punch you have there, too bad you didn't mean to make a punch.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Tomarse posted:

Would it not have been possible here and much easier to just run the cables loose through a standard opening and then seal around the cable bundle with air stop/fire stop foam?

I've seen less effort put in to successfully put cables through the wall of a pressure vessel.

Messadiah posted:

Of course it would have.

That's not why we're here.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

everdave posted:

Literally I’ve seen big subdivision boxes left open accident tally and they don’t run that much wire

GOONSPEED SIR

Every power plant has a room or two somewhere where all the sensors and indicators get wired to, thousands of devices. This is only a few full height equipment racks away.

I cant wait for the post where you turn on the bathroom light and the garage door opens.

Good luck

edit

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm also struggling hugely to record all these electrical wiring plans on any kind of legible document. Both to satisfy myself but also to hand to an electrician to show what I've done. There doesnt seem to be any software really setup to do it in? I'm going to use ms paint
Pro E, theres also a Solidworks product for doing controls design. You're already into industrial controls territory.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 3, 2023

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Can you set up a camera to record the look on their face when they see that the first time for us? The thumbnail for that image looked like the scrap wire bin in a panel shop.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He loled and asked how long it had taken and why I'd done it. My answer to both was mostly obfuscation.

There was only one moment where he literally had to sit down, which is lucky I hadn't installed the plasterboard yet, not because it covered all the electrics but because the pile of it gave him something to sit on when he couldn't contain himself anymore.

The other way I would have seen this going is he immediately went down the road to the pub before coming back to finish the inspection.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Jaded Burnout posted:

.. HOW MANY?

I found out drywall contractors shot up in price, at least I'm starting to get better at muding. Drywall hoist and rolling scaffolding it is.

How many quotes did you get for that plaster work?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

goatface posted:

Unless you have more water pressure than god, I would expect a shower head that size to be quite disappointing.
For some reason the better shower heads seem to make low pressure feel better. The super low flow poo poo is worthless though, can't even wash shampoo out of my 1/2" long hair.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Time is now getting tight as the plasterers have said start midweek... which is like tomorrow, although admittedly it isnt quite today yet where we are, yet. but still... gently caress
I remember the day I had my windows done. I was ready with the exception of one, I asked if they could do it last. Made a hole and had it all framed out by the time they got to it. Probably would have been easier if the walls were made out of rice cakes.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
What are you wearing to do the fiberglass? Gloves, boots, full face respirator, hooded tyvek suit taped to the gloves and boots? It's a pain in the rear end to put on and take off but does help a lot.

Then a fan and furnace filter to help keep the particle count down.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
This whole thread has been one extreme to the other, pilings driven halfway to the earth's core and walls made out of puffed rice.

Thanks for all the laughs, really looking forward to seeing it all come together.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I've seen bread tougher than those bricks.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Fidelitious posted:

I get the sentiment but I'd avoid real wood siding if at all possible because it looks very nice but it's a pain in the rear end.

Ive watched enough This Old House to decide that PVC is the way to go if you get the quality stuff.

I had cedar siding, looked amazing for 2-3 years and it needed stain again. I have enough poo poo to do. I do miss the look of the cedar.

It looks a lot more house like with the plaster up.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Fidelitious posted:

At a certain point you have to give in though and have someone who knows what they're doing tell you what's up.

Yeah, and I still have siding falling off and water coming in around my windows after hiring professionals. I fix enough lovely work done by PEs or journeyman level and above electricians then someone comes behind me to fix my lovely programing, no one knows what they're doing.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

vanity slug posted:

the dremel is probably an Italian knockoff from ebay

Fixed that for you.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

c355n4 posted:

You don't seem to be coping well.

:downsrim:

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I used them at home the first time and it still feels like cheating. They are awesome for temporary power to a light fixture for example and don't destroy stranded wire like wire nuts.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Replacement compression joints on outside allows everything to get soldered inside insitu but leaves a bit of opportunity for loving about outside later.

Why did you dope up the threads on the compression fittings? That's not where the sealing happens, Swagelok even tells you not to do that on their compression fittings.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Leperflesh posted:

sums up the thread p. nicely that the first and only alternative to using the one on hand is ebay

anyway congrats NJAN99 despite all the water everywhere in the plant room it must feel pretty good (or terrifying) to turn that thing on and have it actually start to warm up and work and not set the place on fire or immediately hear the thundering crack of a giant fissure opening up in the whole foundation or perhaps a comical geyser of water shooting straight up the chimney somehow

I'm waiting until it gets the place up to temperature. I wouldn't feel relief until I saw it turn on and regulate properly.

How fast does it warm the house up? There is a lot of thermal mass/floor to warm up first, right?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Just Winging It posted:

Tradies don't get paid that well though, most of the money usually ends up in the pockets of the general contractor or company owner and not the tradie who's doing the work as a sub-(sub-)contractor. It's a big part of why so much of them are terrible, because all the competent ones gently caress off to better paying jobs.
I know a lot of electricians, the good ones do commercial/industrial under a union and don't have to climb through attics or crawlspaces. They work as much overtime as they want and have no desire to deal with the general public so I know zero willing to do residential work.

Just Winging It posted:

Tradies don't get paid that well though, most of the money usually ends up in the pockets of the general contractor or company owner and not the tradie who's doing the work as a sub-(sub-)contractor. It's a big part of why so much of them are terrible, because all the competent ones gently caress off to better paying jobs.

Residential trades don't get paid well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Starbucks posted:

I’ve still no idea why he has three phase, I am guessing multiple car chargers as one + heat pump should be fine with 100A.

100a is just enough for my garage! I wish I could get 3ph residentially in the US, so many tools I've had to pass up because it wouldn't be worth the cost of a converter.

OP needs to update us on the L shaped skynet.