Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

OP what is your occupation / background. Like before embarking on this adventure had you driven diggers much? Assisted in building other houses? Just curious because I would have absolutely no idea where to even begin thinking about such a project. Whereas you seem pretty capable despite all the comedy and tragedy along the way.

This thread owns, eagerly following

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Despite owning several houses over the years I’m currently dealing with knowing and caring where the meter with the spinny numbers is for my house for the first time. One of many issues with the house I just bought is that the main water shutoff is 1) in a moronic location literally in the middle of a finished room and 2) leaking.

At least finding the street shutoff will be no mystery for you in the future!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

shrek proof misery bungalow

:lol: just had to pull this gem out for appreciation

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He was repeatedly ordered to stop work he was doing on a listed building and didn't, and having dealt with what a bullshitter he was probably repeatedly lied to everyone involved at every stage until the council and judge were cool to make an example of him.

The fact that this guy got slapped down, and almost went to jail, tells me there are some wild differences between how things work in the UK vs the US. In the US, this shitter just high fives his golf buddy on the council and you are the one getting rolled despite doing literally nothing wrong.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Buried in an L-shaped coffin

:lol:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Elem7 posted:

You probably ended up paying extra just for that feature to add insult to injury.

This seems appropriately on brand for a house sitting on a bunch of 10 meter pilings or whatever

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Foxfire_ posted:

Plan Exuberant Elk (buy heat pump stuff in Sweden, import it yourself via ferry) seems at least vaguely practical, especially if you're willing to accept the simplified (more expensive) tariff schedule and pre-declare + pre-pay everything so you have parts, a bill of sale, and completed customs paperwork that all match when you show up at the border. It would also be a new entertaining boondoggle for the thread, possibly with exciting pictures of scenic scandinavia!

Might as well go all the way and straight up smuggle the materials across yourself, skimming across the North Sea in the dead of night on an unregistered boat like some lovely James Bond film. Don't have to pay VAT if you're a literal loving pirate :trumpsmug:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

This is starting to look worryingly like a real house

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Endjinneer posted:

:same:
I need to step up and post about my build. As I've been a coward and relied mostly on contractors it will just be four years worth of "am I the baddies?"

:justpost:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Messadiah posted:

Time to pressure you into working harder and faster so we can be entertained!

I feel like this just leads to more "digger fuckin broke down yet again" posts

which, hell, is still entertainment

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Extremely on brand

Gambrinus posted:

I've been on these forums since 2005 and this is the greatest thread I've ever read.

:hai:

Thank you for sharing this journey with us, and for being such a good loving sport about it all

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I mean as funny as this is to car people the foundation pillars are still like a 2 or 3 orders of magnitude larger regret

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

And thankfully it’s definitely going to be well documented here. Shame about the other dimensions

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nice

Those first few pics where it is muddy and misty as poo poo strike me as extremely UK.JPG

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Lol. Why didn’t you scale up the number of cars and diggers at all though

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fidelitious posted:

I've got 5 of them for 3 years and that's never happened. They've already (potentially) saved our lives once from carbon monoxide so cheers to them I say.

The only issue is the notification that they're about to self-test themselves has started coming after the self-test has already gone off.
Useful!

yeah we had the Nest alarms in my previous house and never had any issues. I actually bought them to replace the dogshit literal cheapest thing at home depot the previous owners had put up which would just randomly go off at all hours due to dust or humidity and traumatize my kids. So overall much LESS screaming

We left them installed when we sold the place so maybe freelop is living in my old house :tinfoil:

And cause I know someone is going to say it, we did have both the gas company and fire department come check things out the first couple times they went off. There was no CO leak or anything the alarms were just utter garbage

E: I also really liked that it would warn you that it was going to go off soon, which would happen sometimes if I was searing a steak or something. IIRC you could tell it not to alert using the app (although it would go off regardless for safety if the smoke got bad enough). Which again was nice for not traumatizing my kids and dog

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 28, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Mario Wall will be studied by historians and visited by school children thousands of years from now, like the Great Wall of China. Do not lump him in with these rank amateurs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Paper Tiger posted:

99's gonna etch his complaint about the bad copper into his house, it'll stay standing for thousands of years and the ebay guy will be the next Ea Nasir

E: Ebay Nasir

:lol:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Still thinking and lolling about “ebay-nasir”, how is that not the thread title yet. It so perfectly summarizes so much of 99s misfortune

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If the arguing continues I'll turn the internet off altogether

Might be for the best tbh

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, I can't. Our clawfoot tub is a little over knee height and flares outward, and to get out of it without the grab bar, I'd have to bend way over, grab the rolled edge, straddle it, then swing the other foot over and stand up. Built-in tubs aren't usually that tall.

If you're bending over anyway, I would simply somersault out of it like a true chad

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sirotan posted:

An old guy lived (and then died) in my house before I bought it and he had some mobility issues. Consequently there were 6 grab bars in the 35sqft bathroom and I left all the ones in the shower (mostly just because it would look like poo poo if I removed from from the fiberglass shower surround) and they're...honestly really nice to have? I do tend to hang onto one as I am stepping and in out of the shower, and there is one that is in the perfect place to hold on to while leaning into the water. The shower also has two seats, which I highly recommend to anybody in the process of installing or remodeling their bathroom.

Yeah we are redoing a bathroom and building a little bench across the end of the shower opposite the head. It’s tiled, not a fiberglass shell, so pretty easy to incorporate. I dunno that I’ll ever want to just like sit there but it’s convenient for a number of things. My wife wanted it to ease shaving in particular.

Wasn’t planning on a railing as we aren’t that decrepit yet but now I’m thinking a little about preemptively adding one…

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is the UK immune from the unbelievable stupidity surrounding Bud Lite in the US? If so I envy your innocence where it's just piss beer and not an icon of the culture wars

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

vanity slug posted:

i don't know what's going on but if you ever have to sell this place you should print the entire thread and send it to the new owners for a laugh

normally people would go "what the gently caress were they thinking" but now they could actually know

As I work on my own house where there’s normal PO bullshit like gaps between the baseboards and the wall you can stick your finger in. I’m not sure what it would do to my mental health to get an anonymous video showing that the tunnel to Russia from Stranger Things exists under my home.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’m glad “goon converts his bathroom into a loving DOOM level to enhance sex appeal” gets reposted every couple years. Cause I remember broad strokes like intentionally sabotaging the joists under his weird gravel tub but miss the finer details. The blood red shades :lol:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 24, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

TheMightyHandful posted:

Just do what feels right for you, OP

OP has been doing this since, well, the OP. It’s the one thing you absolutely cannot fault him for.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I have questions about the file named "dig kill shed"

"He understood it all. Not why, but it." is one of the most wonderful phrases I've ever read :bravo: I am going to repurpose this for poo poo I come across in IT/software where I understand on a literal level what was done but cannot begin to comprehend why it was done.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Have you seen the youtube channel programmers are also human? It captures IT very well.

I had not but lol this is good. The videos start to drag, they could be half as long and make the same point but it's still funny

java script: at least you know it's bad. God drat this one was real long but worth it :discourse:

C++: you must treat the compiler as the enemy :hmmyes:

Java: they played this one too straight, this is just the literal Java experience and everyone accepts it. I did appreciate "Kotlin! We don't use Kotlin"

The security one being 2x long as anything else checks out

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'll stop derailing the thread after this but god drat this guy has a knack for capturing personalities. I work with the EMACS guy. He doesn't literally use EMACS. But every time I talk to him I have to hear about some new script he's added to his ZSH profile and if I just follow these 800 steps I too could save 3 keystrokes on some operation I run once a year.

On topic: I am still waiting for answers regarding the "kill shed" file

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean how long can that possibly take? I just turn on the shower, piss, and by the time I hop in the shower it's toasty.

The shower at my in-laws takes roughly 1000 years to get hot. But even so I’ve never thought “you know what this situation needs, the internet”. You can’t say it’s out of place in this house build, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

You know an outhouse would simplify things, no need for plumbling and holes in the walls and floor.

I'm not sure a 3000 quid door on an airtight outhouse is in the budget