Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
People get really weird about mine and thine in lots of places. Adding money (or unrealized gains from real estate) to the mix is like pouring gasoline on the dumpster fire of a personality a lot of these people have. Big overlap with the type of people who think everybody is trying to rip them off because that what they would do. So instead of taking a moment to sort things out amicably they try to bulldoze you with (legal) threats and poo poo, basically bullying you into giving up without a fight because their claims often don't have a loving leg to stand on. Lots of misguided anger too, but surely, going to great lengths to annex a dozen square feet of the neighbors garden will fix your lovely relationship and career, and alleviate their petty middle class anxieties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Construction grade softwood is a ride. Rushed through the kiln to get it just dry enough to stop it from dry rotting and planed, which introduces all sorts of stresses into the wood and still leaves it wet enough to lose a bunch of moisture before installing and therefor move in exciting ways, even in a humid place like the UK.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I know gascrete/aircrete blocks have somewhat of a load-bearing capacity, but not that much and I've only seen them used for internal, non-structural walls and such where especially the sound-insulating qualities are a nice thing to have.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
200? mm square French oak posts are some tasty (and probably pricey) bits of wood.

Ninja edit: France has apparently been doing the managing forests for a steady supply of quality wood esp. oak for a few centuries now (at least that's what I was once told). Timber was one of the premier resources extracted from the American colonies by the UK, so concurrent or even predating Age of Sail I think.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 11, 2022

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Tenon and mortise are the wood toucher words for knobs & holes.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Conservative government structuring building energy efficiency incentives so that it ends as basically a corporate subsidy by funneling the money into the pockets of lovely, corrupt contractors? I'd never.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
What are the odds some very gusty winds blow through the UK? Surely that'll never happen at the most inopportune time.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

kecske posted:

I'm here to post a big preemptive lol, having been called out to a site once where both the duty and standby pumps in the sewer pit had failed due to no solids capability. The whole pit top to bottom was just a solid formed turd obelisk, patterned with toilet paper like fine Italian marble.

Towards an L shape architecture: a solid formed turd obelisk, patterned with toilet paper like fine Italian marble

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
It's either copper wiring or pipes but the latter is less common with PEX and such, or tools that they're after. Cordless battery-powered tools in particular have such a particular habit of walking off site they might as well have legs.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I'm obviously not a professional brickie, but aircrete/gascrete (or whatever it is) blocks being like that is uhhh weird? And those only got used for internal walls that carry some load, but aren't load-bearing load-bearing too, not exterior walls. You could at least just screw into them without them coming apart or the plug just coming out. Might just be a poorly designed product.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Jaded Burnout posted:

That might explain some things about how chilly my house is until spring.

The big thing that started in the 90s (or earlier) was everyone a) putting some insulation in the attic, b) fitting double-glazed windows, and c) blowing insulation into the wall cavity, which feels like it sort of defeats one of the main benefits of the cavity i.e. preventing water travelling between the wall skins. I guess the cavity was also an insulator of sorts but I also guess it let the air circulate more (good for damp, bad for cold?).

So yeah, slightly warmer houses, now more tightly sealed, viva la damp problems. Before that I guess we were just rawdogging a maritime climate and being (more) miserable.

Yeah, in the Netherlands they really started to do insulation after the first oil crisis hit in 1973. Similar climate, and just cramming every void with insulation without regard for ventilation at first. Which predictably led to a whoooooole lot damp/moisture issues because as leaky as those houses used to be, that at least allowed moisture to get out too, and now they became more like plastic bags, where there's no heat losses due to escaping (warm) air, but also trapping all moisture.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Just replace that with the "indestructible" cybertruck glass, problem solved.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I don't know about that. I've been reading this thread since it started, and the head-scratching has only intensified.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I can't wait for the electricity price arbitrage shenanigans featuring code bought from some bloke off ebay at a motorway services.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Leaving the horns until the very end on is pretty standard for paneled doors. The horizontal members are tenoned into the vertical, and leaving the horns on allows you to chop the mortises in the vertical member without the risk of breaking out the relatively fragile end piece.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Minimizing heating/cooling demands is something I can only get behind, but from what I've read about Passive House design it's always left me with questions. For one, it feels to be much more about the branding and Officialness of it than actual savings. Two, at some point you're going to run into diminishing returns, and Passive House feels like it goes to great lengths (and expenses) to get those last few percents of savings, to the point where you'd have to wonder if it makes sense. Lastly, it feels like a very theoretical & engineer-way of approaching buildings, blind to how actual humans live in them, they like to open a window, or a door to the garden, to have a connection with the outside, or let some actual fresh air in. (Mechanical ventilation with energy recovery is cool as gently caress, especially in the cold season, but it has its limits, even when installed & maintained properly.)

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The combination of penny pinching on things like fixtures & fittings on one hand, and casually dropping thousands on other bits never ceases to amaze.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Polyurethane wood adhesives are a foamy mess at the best of times yes. Don't like them for woodworking, but have no experience with using them for gluing down particle board (or whatever that stuff is) sub-flooring.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I've had candy bars that looked just like that when you bit into them. Probably more structurally sound than these blocks though.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Given the average tradie's diet, that'd vastly improve the structural integrity of the walls.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
It's what gets me so often about these people doing super duper mega eco builds, they go to enormous lengths and costs to make them efficient, all while building something with more floor space than a half dozen family homes for just themselves.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I meant it like, they don't even seem to consider a house that's like 1/4 the size, which is still very spacious, before going off the deep end chasing efficiencies.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Completely hidden toilet tanks have always felt like a foolish preposition. Maybe you get it right during installation, but at some point it'll need maintenance. Rubber gaskets, just to name a particular common failure point, have a working life. Over time they turn hard and brittle, and stop working. I've lost count of the number of leaky tanks I've dealt with where a perished gasket was the culprit.

(Also, perfect 45 degree miters for a waterfall style cabinet is uhhhhh... ambitious as your first woodworking project, to say the least.)

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Yup, I've lost count of the number of otherwise capable tradies absolutely hamstrung by skinflint wanknozzle managers. Because the savings of not , say, having your boiler & heating maintenance people have all the common tubing & joint pieces in their work van surely makes up for the oodles of mandatory return visits and sheer loss of valuable work time from not having it available and having to order it for every loving job.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's my experience yes. It's really the big companies that pull this poo poo. Probably because they have the spreadsheet jockeys on staff to ~optimize~ their inventory.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Obtuse switchboard puzzles go well with the air-tight Resident Evil house vibes.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Soaking steel wool in vinegar produces iron acetate, which ebonizes oak when it comes into contact with it by reacting with the tannins naturally present in it. It's a well established, old school method to ebonize oak, but fell off with the invention of aniline dyes sometime in the 19th century. Like all stains it's not a finish on its own, once you have an actual finish on it the color and appearance will probably change for the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Tradies don't get paid that well though, most of the money usually ends up in the pockets of the general contractor or company owner and not the tradie who's doing the work as a sub-(sub-)contractor. It's a big part of why so much of them are terrible, because all the competent ones gently caress off to better paying jobs.