Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Steakandchips posted:

My wife is in love with the idea of a solarium. The utility room, as it's quite warm due to the large amount of windows, has an arm chair crammed in there because SUN.
What does utility room in this context mean? I'm used to utility room being the place where utilities are, such as the furnace and water heater. You know, a plant room apparently.

Why are you all putting utilities in your plant rooms and windows in your furnace rooms??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

goatface posted:

Build from whole logs only, like god intended.
I have some concerning information for you about log uniformity I'm afraid.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

It feels like the cost density model for this particular home would just be a giant red mass in the ground, no?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

El Mero Mero posted:

This thread is unreasonably good
No, it honestly merits mention - Goons usually are terrible at joke songs/poems/whatever. Uniformly awful. But all of these have been great. The hive mind has truly found its muse.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Actually building a house is amazing. Who cares about a few cock ups. I’m a little confused by the timeline of this thread so forgive me if you’ve already gone over this but—

How long has this project actually been going on?

Do you have a full-time job outside of building your house?

Paying somebody else to redo my house took way too long and was exhausting enough. Can’t imagine building one from the ground up myself.

Oh yeah, for the record, I think OP gets an undue amount of poo poo, but he takes it well, and it's all in good fun. I'm impressed by the whole undertaking.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

But not as hosed as the American healthcare system.

*Tosses lit match over his shoulder as he walks out of thread*

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

if your houses arent to your liking for whatever reason, just build your own how you want imho, its quick and easy.
I was gonna, but I couldn't find any soft enough cinder blocks :(

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Shoulda just made the whole place out of pilings.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

I assumed it was an X files reference
Not even Tooms can squeeze through this home

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Endjinneer posted:

Back to your heat pump with the rear diffuser.
Like, your rules lawyering makes sense with envelope mathematics but fluid mechanics is a deeply weird subject and odd things can happen like helmholtz resonance coupling

????

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Nova69 posted:

I wonder how much it would cost 99 to hire an expert to design and implement this sort of heating system, given its complexity I can't imagine it would be cheap.
This is why if I ever need an appendectomy, I'm doing it myself.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

It's 119 characters long, so it won't fit unfortunately.
What if we drove 40 foot piles beneath the title to support the extra characters?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I'm not sure we're still in 'design' territory.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Matching the grout width to the gaps in the trim, smart design move.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I'm entirely willing to take potshots at him, but it's absolutely worth mentioning this has been a largely impressive venture.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

sebzilla posted:

How many times per day do you consider that if you'd built a normal house you could have been living in it for some time by now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Arrath posted:

Tiling looks exactly like the kind of fiddly bullshit that would slowly drive me insane as I try to line up everything juuuust right until I'm halfway through (after 5 false starts where I caught my mistake) and I realize I hosed up and my eye twitches then I'm "here's johnny!"'ing the entire wall with a sledgehammer.

I'll just pay a dude
Don't forget you also have to move relatively quickly before your cement starts to cure, leading to poor adhesion!

I wouldn't mind the finickiness if I wasn't racing against time.