Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Looks like a normal Ali Express customer service conversation to me. Missing the phrase "do the needful" to complete Ali Express bingo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

From now on when NJAN99 makes bad posts I'm going to have to consider the possibility that a hacker has compromised his account via his doorbell

I'm imagining a thief knocking off the doorbell, plugging in a laptop and hacking the front door smart lock.

Meanwhile, his colleague breaks a window.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm also struggling hugely to record all these electrical wiring plans on any kind of legible document. Both to satisfy myself but also to hand to an electrician to show what I've done. There doesnt seem to be any software really setup to do it in? I'm going to use ms paint

Diagrams.net (aka Draw.io) is not half bad for throwing together big diagrams. It's basically a free, simplified version of visio.

I mainly use it for system block diagrams rather than wiring diagrams, but it should be better than mspaint.

I'm also concerned you're going to struggle to find a sparky who will sign off on it, good luck!!

Splode fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 4, 2023

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Sevalar posted:

Hey now, you have biscuits and a PVC hotbox shipping crate to fall back on. Get some sausage rolls and monster munch in, it'll be a great life if the project falls on shakey foundations.

There's no risk of that

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Isn't the whole point of building your own house that you can do whatever wacky poo poo you want?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I also would run ethernet to every room given the opportunity. One of the first things I did when I moved into my current place is getting them to run an ethernet connection from downstairs to upstairs. Getting good WiFi coverage ends up being more expensive than running ethernet, especially when you're fighting your neighbours for bandwidth.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like I get that you don't have to. But just when I drill down into how a house should be it feels like its a consistent approach.

Like, individual rooms get thermostats. The underfloor heating zones are separated to rooms and individually controllable. Like if you're able to have these things be separate, and controllable, then it should follow through that other environmental things should be too. And that it should all happen in a synergistic, integrated way where you don't have to faff around with it on a day to day basis.

Also like the sound benefits of having rooms isolated from one another goes hand in hand with the physical logistics of delivering this so its not like wasted effort, it has those benefits too.

This does sound pretty great, and it's the sort of thing you can only do if you're building your own place.

I've definitely been in buildings with ducted air conditioning where it's very hard to have two rooms both be comfortable temperatures at the same time.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nah, 99 can quite clearly build at a level above most of us journeymen DIYers, he just also happens to be completely insane

Skilled enough to try and build his own house, foolish enough to try and build his own house.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Nah I'd be mad about that too.

We've got roofers replacing the roof of the complex my house is in at the moment. They're about a month behind the original two month schedule. They've failed to properly secure roofing materials and had them banging around destroying poo poo on at least three separate occasions - today they nearly launched a piece of roofing into the daycare next door. And they've had the gall to complain that individual owners are contacting them rather than going through the body corp. They reckon another "two weeks" to finish the job, so it'll likely be another month.

It's frustrating because there's very little you can do if you hire someone and it turns out they just don't give a poo poo and take no pride in their work.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

When it's too cold for a heat pump, what happens? I know below around 4 degrees C it starts getting less and less efficient, but once you get below -25C, does it just become unable to heat your house to the target temperature or does it conk out completely?

Where I live it only drops below zero C a handful of times in the dead of night in the dead of winter for a few hours, if at all, so this is all very alien to me.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

sebzilla posted:

How many times per day do you consider that if you'd built a normal house you could have been living in it for some time by now?

What is the point of going to all the trouble of building your own house if you're just going to make it normal? If you want a normal house just buy one.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I've got floorboards like that, installed by (not literally by, she hired someone) the previous owner. They're glued down and the floor feels great but there is a major downside. I've got a floorboard badly dinged up by furniture and replacing it would be a messy, time consuming pain in the rear end. If they weren't glued down I assume it would be a lot easier.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

Still a huge PITA depending on where the board is in the room.

It's in the middle. I'm just going to leave it there forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

It is all starting to look pretty good! It's exciting to see it all come together.

But my god, it really is a colossal amount of work to build a house. You've certainly warned me off ever even considering it.