Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Steakandchips posted:

We had a foot of snow this winter up here in the frozen north and pipes to our Bio Treatment Plant (a fancy septic tank) did not freeze and I'd guess they are about 2 feet underground...

We had two mornings of frost in pastyland this winter. We haven't seen snow since the beast from the east

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't joke about cement mixers.

You have labourers for when the mixer breaks down, couple sheets of boarding and shovels, mix the old way.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

He's got 99 problems but a thread ain't one

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Bath is 219 miles from me and would take just under four hours

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

not in your landrover, could be days.

Fair point

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

dolly blocks exist for a reason. Replace the four courses of brick on the outer skin with two courses of cast concrete dolly and forget about the slabs.

e. unless you have to have that course of brick showing for some planning reason

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Thermolite blocks are the devil.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah my house is 1940s shuttered poured concrete, and the extension is Aircrete blocks (at least on the inside). Drilling holes in the extension is a piece of piss, but in the old house it needs the Big Drill, a few bits, water to cool off the red-hot bits, and creates a loving poo poo ton of dust

Shuttered poured concrete makes me think you live in an underground bomb shelter

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Dammit now I want to build an L shaped granite bbq

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I didn't know the oak was coming from France till it turned up, from France.

Real-time alert!

Building site was broken into last night and my security camera wires clipped!

Anything missing?

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Back to nail gun topic: I bought myself a new paslode IM350+ this morning. Nailing featheredge by hand is a no loving go. £468+vat is a whole heap better than wankers cramp for the next week.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

You know those road plates I suggested? You could dig a pit in the drive and fill it with vipers, drag road plates across it while you are there, cover with inconspicuous branches and leaves when you are not

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There are good builders in the UK, but they either get snapped up by companies or end up so busy they're impossible to get hold of. Leaving the average home builder the choice of arrogant Dave, absent Dave, bodge-job Dave or incompetent Dave.

:unsmith:

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Starting to see that times are getting tough, those gloves are missing a few fingers

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The hinges say cotswold uk on them.
The universal English sign that it was built by a man in a shed

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

There is a Farmfoods with the same building design next to a McDonald's in Camborne
Train don't stop there Wednesday's though

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Lmao

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Looking at how far back your seat is reclined, I'm guessing he thought you wanted to race.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I attended an emergency reinstatement in some poor residents house where the pressure in the sewage system had built up and during a storm (2018 iirc) and had blown back up through the toilet in the upstairs bathroom, continued to flow and flooded the downstairs in a foot of lovely piss water.
I no longer deal with water/sewage, no amount of money is worth dealing with that carnage.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

The short story is no, though it would have probably been cheaper to knock it down and start again.
It has since been sold and is now a second home.

I'm sure this wouldn't happen to njan though, far more likely his Tesla will combust

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Just remember to hide the bottle of glyphosate and plug the holes you drilled into the trunk to inject it.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

So proud of you. Hopefully you've learnt your lesson though, buy a Hilux next time

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Towards an L shape architecture: better than groverhaus

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I'm hedging my bet on architect

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm an architect and you can. Planning isn't really concerned with building safety anyway, that's building regs.

:smug:

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Should have saved them for any little retaining walls when you do your landscaping

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

I wonder if they should make all architects build their own homes before signing them off.

This is something we discuss at length after every visit from an architect.
Landscape architects are the worst of the worst though, the biggest confusion is why they insist on planning everything from a sea level datum point (that almost always gets immediately run over by a fork lift after being installed) rather than something easy to work from like the finished floor of the existing building :iiam:

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Lol at inexpensive.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

If you wanted to cheap it you could hardwall render it yourself ready for the professionals to come and plaster over the top..but... They are going to use that as an excuse to do a poo poo job regardless of how perfect and plumb your walls are after the hardwall and it almost definitely will crack and you are going to be chasing and filling cracks for the next three years.
Just suck it up and lose a couple inches in dot and dab

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

And when the world gives you a Jeffrey, just stroke the furry wall

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I love your optimism :allears:

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

making GBS threads in a bucket in a Catholic church was a real low point for me

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I'm not surprised they left at two. Double coating that in one hit would suck.
Credit where credit is due, they seem to have done a pretty nice job.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Painting masonry and painting timber cladding is not even remotely comparable

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Though I am jumping to the conclusion that your parents house isn't timber clad

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Many grands over budget designs

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

knox_harrington posted:

No they have a resistive electric heater as a backup which is obviously much less efficient. But you still get heating. I don't think mine has ever come on.

Most air source can only heat water to between 45-55celsius so they are also fitted with a 3kw(sometimes 5kw) immersion heater to top it up if you require a higher temperature. Obviously during times that the heat pump is struggling to make temperature the immersion pulls more weight.

Salisbury Snape fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 23, 2023

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

#free99

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

The bad thread ruined the best thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I hope his Tesla didn't combust and take the house with it