Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I forgot how I found this thread but now I'm caught up and enraptured, need more L-shaped posts to fill the void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Personally I appreciate the commitment to the L-shaped tool. Ahhh, life is beautiful, fractals in everything.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

This is starting to look a lot like a house, which is weird.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

:five:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That looks really tedious to do but the result is nice. Keeps looking more and more like a house.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Motronic posted:

I can show you some HILARIOUS BAD "still in code" bullshit in the US.

Promise? I like hilarious bad.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Is your head particularly sturdy? I would like a control group too.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 17, 2022

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm generally pretty dulled to anything I read online but the guy just ramming the wheelbarrow over the floor heating pipes raised my dander a bit. (why is it this, of all things?) I guess because I see people being lazy and lovely regularly and it bugs me there too. But it's like god drat, come on, there was obviously a lot of work put into making those even to spread heat properly and ensure that nothing would leak etc.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It is an attractive door.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Remind me again, what was the upside of using the styrofoam bricks?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ahhh, that makes sense. Well, at least they are easy to replace at this point in the build.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

:five:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

See but this is a special house. It has wires in the door. Which makes installing the door much harder and will have the benefit of, uh, making the door vulnerable to electronic intrusion attempts? Not sure what the benefit is.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That would really bring the property back to its roots.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Wait did I skip a page? When did you move the house somewhere with blue skies and plants that like warm weather? I thought this was all going on in the UK.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Everything the Big Bad Wolf taught me about house construction was wrong.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Personally I wouldn't dare complain to someone with a device like that.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

gently caress the wiring, you should decorate your house with the Trunktopus.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

:thunk:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cheaping out? You must be mistaken, this is the Six Million Dollar House, Whose Pillars Extend to the Very Core.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Reminded of the guy running over your nice neat heat lines with the wheelbarrow and am mad all over again.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Not a big deal really, shift it round with the digger which isnt even broken

It's the little things. :unsmith:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

This is not an L of honor.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Amazing that posts can make it out of that L-shaped farraday cage.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Fall of the House of L:
During the whole of a dull, dark, and soundless day in the autumn of the year, when the clouds hung oppressively low in the heavens, I had been passing alone, in a Tesla, through a singularly dreary tract of country; and at length found myself, as the shades of the evening drew on, within view of the melancholy House of L. I know not how it was - but, with the first glimpse of the building, a sense of insufferable gloom pervaded my spirit...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

goatface posted:

You just need to put a lot of heat in at the start to get the salt properly molten.

Maybe it's time for op to scrap all of this and go to a pebble bed design.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah I never feel like this is a hard problem to solve.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The plaster is necessary for the structural rigidity of the house, we've all seen what the blocks are like. Wallpaper might do it, but you'd need a few layers.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Vim Fuego posted:

NBC Protection- Nuclear, Biological, Chemical

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBRN_defense

It's standard on modern main battle tanks and it makes sense that when assembling a bunker like this it's a foremost concern, the ability to keep operating while surrounded by radiation, noxious gas &c.

Yes but it's also standard to run a positive pressure environment in these vehicles & bunkers to make sure that not only does no unfiltered air get in, but plenty gets pushed out. I don't think that's a feature on the L. Unrelated question, but is radon gas a problem in the UK?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Fidelitious posted:

As a Canadian who used a bunch of cedar in our backyard, I have rarely seen a cedar plank so red like that before.

Maybe it's from the red forest by Chernobyl! That'd be exotic.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The trouble is that public education in the US is maliciously underfunded, and the old rich vulture said that he'd give 200 million dollars to build the building but only if they follow his exact blueprints. It's some kind of hosed up mixture between philanthropy and hostage negotiation.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

knox_harrington posted:

So how much do you pay for this ~prison level accommodation?

Varies a lot by college/university, but between 1-3k USD per semester, in my experience. Most colleges push the "Campus life experience" pretty hard, and sometimes there aren't any good alternatives.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

Where in the US of A can you get three months of on-campus living, even in a shared room, for less than $1k a month? Is your experience mostly rural schools? My uni (SF state) cost more than $1k a month when I was there... in 1998. Most students had to live off campus anyway, there wasn't anywhere near enough dorms for the population of students (and the dorms cost more than you could rent a room in the city - a lot more).

Mine was rural as gently caress, and over a decade ago. I probably made bad assumptions that such a thing would continue, lmao.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Green tape is a good metaphor for things that arbitrarily get in the way of progress.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

tbqh I would route the ethernet through my walls the same way, if you're using a desktop computer it's so worth it. I have a 150ft cable snaking along the baseboards of my house being ugly because it's worth it to me, but if I could have it in the walls I would. My real concern would be that eventually the standard would move on and I'd be stuck with a house that has a bunch of worthless outlets. The house I am in now has like ten unused phone jacks all over the damned place.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Sagacity posted:

why not use them and rewire them for ethernet since apparently you love ethernet so much you want to MARRY it

(serious question though)

Few reasons. The biggest ones are time, effort, and expense; but also I live in a house that is more than a hundred years old and was constructed piecemeal by Polish amateurs and the interior of the house has not one but two ventilation systems, one of which is unused, as well as wiring that dates to the 20s - full copper jacketed in decaying paper, hooked to switches that still have mercury in them. All of this is spliced together with several other layers of upgrades and coverings, most of which is from the 40s-70s, none of which is consistent or documented, and I don't own the house. Given that, it feels like a fool's errand to undertake.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I mean, the good news is that when/if the walls spontaneously becomes fine dust 60 years from now, the foundation is built to outlast Ozymandias so you can just build a new structure right on top of it, bam, good to go.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Might suck and be stressful but look at how much house you're getting out of it! It's another big step in the important progression of Looking Like A House.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Still better than the underfloor heating butchering by the concrete guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's a good idea. Along with the cheeky loft space which isn't really counted as usable internal house volume for government reasons, you can add an extra thirteen basement levels which they also don't need to know about. You've already got most of the work done, just fill out the spaces between the pilings! As an added bonus it's guaranteed to be airtight and won't add much to the heating bill.