Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021
I'm just about to start extending my shed/workshop with dubious planning/knowledge.

This thread has really made me feel better about my prospects, because instead of a series of cars that don't work I just have one car that does, and I won't buy anything off of eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

Arrath posted:

But how many piles driven into the upper mantle will your shed require?

Before reading this thread I thought it wouldn't need any, but now I'm wondering if I should construct the walls entirely of piles and then have the roof made of piles at 45 degrees, then shoot horizontal piles into my house instead of using roof tiles. Maybe shiny tape it all together. There's a hundred-year old beech tree behind the shed which I might stake with a nice pile just in case the wind picks up.

(Aside from wondering why 99 doesn't just buy a good vehicle and not gently caress it, I am impressed by his efforts)

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

Leperflesh posted:

You think he's cheaping out? If a thief stripped all the copper from his house, they'd be able to retire in comfort on the recycling money. Also, recall the expense spent on the front door.

This is the absolutely beauty of the thread. The ambition, spec and some of the materials are top notch, but operational choices undermine that at every turn.

I wonder if a project manager could pay for themselves just by taking away 99's eBay account?

Luckily, it'll take a lot of undermining to make the thing fall down.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021
You should have just carved your house out of a giant L-shaped bundle of cables.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So plan is to do all the other work myself for less and then just ask him for the 90quid sign off

What do we reckon, a nice 10x to the sign off price for not doing the work?

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

niethan posted:

Just pay him a cool 100

Yeah I reckon the extra tenner will help the sparky accept OP's test results instead of doing his own for £370+VAT.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean the blockwork is completely standard in European construction, 99 has just chosen to hyperfixate on it (understandable since they seem like pretty poo poo blocks in a few different ways even though they do the job just fine).

I think it's fair to fixate on the blocks. I had to remove a breeze block wall from my shed and it took a big disc cutter and sledgehammer to get the job done. In 99's place i'd just wipe the wall away with some kitchen roll.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

Was thinking alright it would be a bit of a knock to your airtightness rating if there was just massive holes in the side of your house

I hope this leads to lots of goons filling in their eaves for airtightness.

This both is and is not code for something.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021
I think that design would cantilever well off a strong wall. It's a shame you didn't build any of those.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

His Divine Shadow posted:

Read in the news paper that many people with ASHPs in their homes (and there are a lot, Finland is the most heatpump dense country per capita atm) have had issues in the cold with the drainage for the condensate mainly freezing over and blocking it.

Another black eye for heat pumps, my boiler condensate pipe froze a few years back and it was nowhere near -25.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021
Remind me what you're waiting for on the heating front. Do you just need some more confusing diagrams to fall out of your head?

I guess everything will be preserved once it has a protective layer of rust and mold.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

TheMightyHandful posted:

No goon has ever heard of the KISS principal.

Just build a robot to KISS for you.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah its engineered oak

as in plywood sandwich with 3mm of oak glued on top.

I have the same but with a thicker top layer. Mine is nailed to the wooden floor beneath with 50mm flooring nails, so maybe you'll need to drive 5m piles through each length of yours. Best call the engineer.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

redleader posted:

the only places that will get wet in a room dedicated to putting water in, on, and around human bodies are exposed surfaces. therefore, sealing interior areas is a waste of time

Apologies if I'm stumbling into a whoosh here. Sealing one side of a piece of wood is generally worse than not sealing at all. Wood laps up humidity from the air and if there's one side of a plank can and the other can't, you'll get a nice banana.

I'd probably put 5 coats on every surface of that thing. Or 3, but say 5 on the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

drgitlin posted:

Yeah but if you just pay a dude he might do a bad job.

And poo poo in your garden.