Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Are you married? Everything I know from grand designs is that you may soon will not be.

Congrats on the foundations though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Motronic posted:

This is so much better than trying to turn the town water plant into a residence.

(wow it's been a long time since I watched those)

That one was mental.

The other one that I remember distinctly was the single dad in London building 2 stories down under a historic building in a graveyard so he could have a house to spend time with his son in (by the time he finished his son was in college.)

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Newest season of grand designs just kicked off this week. I feel like this could have been a solid episode for it.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

I’m curious, how will you be heating the house? Gas fired heating? Oil? Tesla?

Wheelbarrows of cash?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

This thread is unreasonably good

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I just hang a paint can from a rope behind my unlocked front door

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The difficulty in getting out is to deter burglars you see

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol one problem with a large and slightly oddball site is i have, i think, 12 direct neighbours plus the highway/council.

Posting my L’s in the dodecadon

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

you've got enough copper in those walls to create an L-shaped electromagnet.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Paper Tiger posted:

E: Ebay Nasir

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

just nailgun shag carpet up and down the whole thing.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

An L-Shaped Biodome

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

just bulk up on costco ceranwrap and wrap the house. it'll help meet the energy efficiency goals too!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

also i realise I've hosed up and havent done the wave sensors on either front or back door inside or outside. I can fix it but its annoying.

So the doors are going to unlock automatically via housebrain in the case of certain datapoints being established but they won't actually physically disengage the locks until a final "handshake" which is going to be waving a hand either vertically or horizontally past a sensor. The alternative will alert the house to a danger state and whatever protocols will thusly be followed. So I need the handwave sensors.

NJAN99 doing jumping jacks by the doors in increasing intensity and desperation as he slowly blacks out from oxygen deprivation when the house HVAC turns on him.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I laughed so hard when they interviewed the person running the certification evaluation and she said that she was bad at math and failed the test to become an evaluator but that the other way to become an evaluator is to just build an ecohouse!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Jaded Burnout posted:

When the crew came to fit my fibre I gave them a full bottle of isopropyl because they didn't have any for cleaning the fibre connection and I felt sorry for them.

Yeah, despite telling them multiple times before hand that they'd need to put a hole through concrete the ones that came to my place didn't have any concrete bits and I ended up lending them one of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

gently caress you guys!

Wait all of this cabling and it’s not even symmetrical fiber? How is a place that’s purpose built to be a node in a Russian botnet operation supposed to work with upload like that?